Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lone Rogue posted:

The kid I can deal with and would be awesome to see/hear.

"BAK OFF MAM IM A SCIEMTISS"

"STOP DAT"

"GET HER!"

Charming at first, perhaps, but eventually the girl's parents should have at least made an effort to quiet her down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Timby posted:

"STOP DAT"

Still my favourite bit of the film.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Matty Trap arrived... It's spectacular... Now to figure out how to attach it to a belt...

My one complaint is that the Prop mode doesn't cycle as many lights as I'd like, a perpetual Movie-Mode sans sound would be better.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

So basically I had to wait 26 years to see this movie in theaters and it was so amazing. It benefits so much from the big screen experience, the soundtrack especially. Loved seeing all sorts of little details I had missed in the set design and the mattes finally seeing it large.

Best Movie I've seen in a theater this year. Hands down.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

echoplex posted:

Late Christmas present:

Click here for the full 1084x1352 image.

That's right, click that for loving huge.

I'll see your awesome b&w huge ghostbusters without pic and raise you an awesome b&w huge(er) ghostbusters pic:

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

I'll see your awesome b&w huge ghostbusters without pic and raise you an awesome b&w huge(er) ghostbusters pic:

What are those hoses going into their pants?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glass Joe posted:

Catheters. What, you think you could brave ghosts without peeing your pants?

ohthatdan
Jan 10, 2007

...Soldering Iron...
The two times I've seen it this month, I still keep picking up a few things here or there I've missed for 20+ years. In the scene where the GBs shoot the cleaning cart, I never realized the maid is trying to spray out the fire on the floor with her window washing bottle when the team is deciding to split up. The little things in this movie are just absolutely brilliant.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Glass Joe posted:

Part of the flight suits. I think they help with pressurizing in the air or something. They don't really serve any 'busting purpose.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
We had a really good turnout in Lincoln. Lots of college kids, since the theater is right down the street from UNL. Fantastic laughs.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yaaaaay! My trap arrived at the hotel! The day after I left... :smith: And the hotel accepted it, even though I asked them not to, but just redirect it. Ho hum.

Matty's shipping partners are bizarre. My package spent 4 days just chilling in Indiana. I really wish I'd noticed shipping options on the order page. :(

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

The_Doctor posted:

Yaaaaay! My trap arrived at the hotel! The day after I left... :smith: And the hotel accepted it, even though I asked them not to, but just redirect it. Ho hum.

Matty's shipping partners are bizarre. My package spent 4 days just chilling in Indiana. I really wish I'd noticed shipping options on the order page. :(

Well, mine have done the same. They started in Canada... then went to NV, then to CA, then back to NV, and now they are slowly making their way across a couple states per day. They'll probably wind up here around Friday or next Monday. I'm not too concerned, but I fully agree that their shipping partners are confusing.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

SublimeDelusions posted:

Well, mine have done the same. They started in Canada... then went to NV, then to CA, then back to NV, and now they are slowly making their way across a couple states per day. They'll probably wind up here around Friday or next Monday. I'm not too concerned, but I fully agree that their shipping partners are confusing.

Ontario California!

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Matty Trap arrived... It's spectacular... Now to figure out how to attach it to a belt...

My one complaint is that the Prop mode doesn't cycle as many lights as I'd like, a perpetual Movie-Mode sans sound would be better.

I hadn't even heard about these. I have a Matty PKE, but I don't think I'd drop 150 on it (my costume trap cost me 15 bucks)

Ok, so, here's hoping that next year Mattel releases a deluxe Neutrona Wand with lights and sounds.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Who's going to see Ghostbusters in Boston tonight? I'm going to swim there if I have to.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe they were hoping you'd come back and help them with their ghost problem. You didn't happen to stay at the Sedgwick Hotel by any chance, did you? ;)

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
Seeing it tonight in New York, in Union Square. Huzzah!

In related news, for those interested in my book: it is going to be the next project I pitch to publishers, it has moved to the front of my proverbial line. (My agent was less enthusiastic about the other idea I had.) I intend to retool the proposal and review what I've written to hopefully give it more mass appeal, make it seem like a friendly human being wrote it and not a bombastic blowhard (which I am) and fling it at my agent in January... and see if I've done a good job of convincing anyone that anyone would buy this drat thing. ;)

I wish there was sales data on this re-release. BoxOfficeMojo doesn't seem to be tracking it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Just got my ticket for tonight in Boston. Hellll yes.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Not a bad turn out at the Boston show. Not packed, but not empty. And every one is heckling a Chipotle commercial.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Off to see Ghostbusters at the Tyler Galleria in Riverside, CA! Thanks, thread, because without you I never would have known this was happening. What a godawful "advertising campaign."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Saw it last week, saw it again tonight. Figured that I didn't want to wait another 27 years to see it in a theater.

Unlike last week, though, the bass channel was almost completely nonexistent. Huge disappointment. :(

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Scroto Baggins posted:

Not a bad turn out at the Boston show. Not packed, but not empty. And every one is heckling a Chipotle commercial.

I loved that people cheered that the Jack and Jill trailer was over. Hilarious.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
New York goon reporting in.

My screening began tepid, aside from some groans at the Jack and Jill trailer. No clapping, no whooping. A packed house with no one saying a thing.

The "print" (a digital file of course) looked good I think. Colors not quite what I wanted, still too green, but contrast nice, details nice. Best I've seen the movie look since the first DVD.

The library scene passed in deadly quiet. Not even a perfunctory cheer for the title. Considering the number of logo t-shirts I saw, including my own, this disappointed me. We may as well have been at a museum.

Then, Venkman.

People started chuckling.

I don't remember when the chuckles turned to laughs. It took a while, it was a slow burn. Even an hour in, the sound was still tepid. As if we were all afraid to laugh around each other.

I think the scene where people finally broke was Louis at the firehouse, sniffing and scraping. Maybe it was a little before or a little after.

All I know is that by the time the Keymaster met the Gatekeeper, there were roars, and at that endless matte painting of all those stairs, there were outbursts, and I swear to you, when that loving Marshmallow Man showed up, here in this movie I've seen two hundred Goddamned times and taken notes on like a stodgy old scholar, the whole drat place was in hysterics and I was tearstreaked and shrieking like a banshee.

We led the applause at the end.

What a movie.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Had my first Thursday off in...well a while, so I don't know how this showing did. I'm thrilled that people are enjoying it, and I'm sorry to hear some people are still having problems with a missing bass channel. *Please*, if you've had that problem in your theatre, contact them tomorrow. Don't be a jerk about it, just ask them if they can check to make sure it's okay. When we don't have eighteen different times for complaints a day, it makes near impossible to know anything is wrong. Just two minor details and I'll shut up
1. I am *so sorry* about the Jack&Jill trailer. It's loving Utterly Mandatory ever since Week 1. It's not our fault, I swear!
2. As of right now, most theatre seem to have schedule One Last Showing. The day is of course: 10/31. You fucks better show up and give this a good send-off!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

WeX Majors posted:

Had my first Thursday off in...well a while, so I don't know how this showing did. I'm thrilled that people are enjoying it, and I'm sorry to hear some people are still having problems with a missing bass channel. *Please*, if you've had that problem in your theatre, contact them tomorrow. Don't be a jerk about it, just ask them if they can check to make sure it's okay. When we don't have eighteen different times for complaints a day, it makes near impossible to know anything is wrong. Just two minor details and I'll shut up
1. I am *so sorry* about the Jack&Jill trailer. It's loving Utterly Mandatory ever since Week 1. It's not our fault, I swear!
2. As of right now, most theatre seem to have schedule One Last Showing. The day is of course: 10/31. You fucks better show up and give this a good send-off!

I've obviously missed something. Are you a theatre worker, or with Columbia, or something?

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I loved that people cheered that the Jack and Jill trailer was over. Hilarious.

And the groans over the hamfisted "green" Chipotle commercial were great too.

I could have done without the group who kept yelling out lines 5 minutes before the correct scenes began. Or how they would clap and laugh into their laps during the quiet scenes. The entire theater yelled at them. Over and over.

However, it didn't ruin the show. We had a good crowd, lots of laughs. The screen looked fine, but the sound and bass were a little lacking. Even still, it was a great time. I can't believe that every time I watch this movie there are little jokes and background actions that I discover for the first time, such as Egon's eye roll when Jeanine was confessing that she was worried he was going to die.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
This is what I was saying 54 pages ago. It is The Best Film. Ever seen a film where the cast have had quite so much fun with it?

(click for massive)

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Awesome, thankyou. One of these days I'm going to buy the publicity stills archive.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Icon-Cat posted:

New York goon reporting in.

My screening began tepid, aside from some groans at the Jack and Jill trailer. No clapping, no whooping. A packed house with no one saying a thing.

The "print" (a digital file of course) looked good I think. Colors not quite what I wanted, still too green, but contrast nice, details nice. Best I've seen the movie look since the first DVD.

The library scene passed in deadly quiet. Not even a perfunctory cheer for the title. Considering the number of logo t-shirts I saw, including my own, this disappointed me. We may as well have been at a museum.

Then, Venkman.

People started chuckling.

I don't remember when the chuckles turned to laughs. It took a while, it was a slow burn. Even an hour in, the sound was still tepid. As if we were all afraid to laugh around each other.

I think the scene where people finally broke was Louis at the firehouse, sniffing and scraping. Maybe it was a little before or a little after.

All I know is that by the time the Keymaster met the Gatekeeper, there were roars, and at that endless matte painting of all those stairs, there were outbursts, and I swear to you, when that loving Marshmallow Man showed up, here in this movie I've seen two hundred Goddamned times and taken notes on like a stodgy old scholar, the whole drat place was in hysterics and I was tearstreaked and shrieking like a banshee.

We led the applause at the end.

What a movie.

I was at the same theater the first night it showed. I think the people you were expecting were at that showing.
I distinctly remember cheering at not only the Ghostbusters logo,but even the Paramount one when it came on.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
There were maybe 30 people at last night's showing in my town. The dumbass (teenage?) girls behind me irritated me periodically throughout the night. First of all, they thought the Jack & Jill trailer looked funny. :( Then they spent the whole library scene trying to figure out who the actors were. "So now who plays Roy? I know Daniel Aykroyd plays Egon." When Sigourney-loving-Weaver made her first appearance, I heard, "Who's that? She's pretty though." :argh:

I didn't let them spoil the enjoyment of the movie for me though, it was just too awesome to see it on the big screen again. Even though I've seen it a billion times and it's iconic, that first glimpse of the Stay-Puft man took me right back to the first time I saw the film as a little kid. Let me tell you, back then it was mind-blowing to see that giant sailor head bobbing down the street. Like nothing I'd ever seen before.

Batroid
Feb 26, 2011
I was so excited when I wandered past the nearest movie theatre to me and saw that Ghostbusters is actually going to be playing here. I was even more excited when I only had to pay $5 for the ticket. I'm so pumped for this since I've never seen it on the big screen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We saw it last night, the first time I ever saw it on the big screen. Not the greatest turnout, maybe 50 people altogether but everyone was enjoying it. There was a maybe 12 year old kid seeing it for the first time and he was having a blast which made the whole experience better.

Until some rear end in a top hat 3 rows back started loudly speaking lines along with the film. This went on for maybe 5 minutes before I turned around and yelled "Okay, you've seen the move, we get it. Can you shut up now?" Which got a little applause from our row and he did shut up.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Went as a Ghostbuster for Halloween weekend activities... just the cheap suit with inflatable proton pack you can get for $30 online. The reactions were AMAZING, apparently even people outside this thread still loving love Ghostbusters. Wherever we went people wanted to take pictures with the Ghostbuster, people would shout from across the street and run over to high five the Ghostbuster, etc.

It was this kind of weird phenomenon where all these grownups acted like little kids seeing a mascot at a theme park, and they thought I really WAS a Ghostbuster. It wasn't even a good costume either.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tender Bender posted:

Went as a Ghostbuster for Halloween weekend activities... just the cheap suit with inflatable proton pack you can get for $30 online. The reactions were AMAZING, apparently even people outside this thread still loving love Ghostbusters. Wherever we went people wanted to take pictures with the Ghostbuster, people would shout from across the street and run over to high five the Ghostbuster, etc.

It was this kind of weird phenomenon where all these grownups acted like little kids seeing a mascot at a theme park, and they thought I really WAS a Ghostbuster. It wasn't even a good costume either.

Ghostbusters has experienced a significant resurgence in cultural relevance since 2008 or so, mostly because a lot of people now in decision-making roles at companies are the same people who were mesmerized by the film as kids back in 1984. If you think about it, in the last few years, we've had a 25th Anniversary Blu-ray, the complete release of the animated series, a fairly robust toy line, the video game in 2009, T-shirts galore, a new comic book and now the theatrical re-release.

That's the same reason Sony is rushing full speed ahead to get Ghostbusters III made, pushing harder than they have since 1991 or so -- they're trying to strike while the iron is still hot and the franchise is still high in the public consciousness.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?

Tender Bender posted:

Sorry, what inflatable proton packs?!

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Bung posted:

Sorry, what inflatable proton packs?!

http://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters-Costume-Inflatable-Backpack-Standard/dp/B000P5L5N6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319979137&sr=8-1

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

That's the one. It went over really great. I just added black boots and elbow pads. I didn't realize till afterwards but you should probably add a belt too.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This is my favourite film ever. Watched it at the IMAX in London on Friday (biggest screen in Britain! Hell yeah).

I had a smile on my face the whole time. The picture and sound were both great, about 75% full, lots of laughs, and you're drat right I started a round of applause at the end. I'll never forget that experience, it was wonderful.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I never realized how drat infectiously funny Bill Murray is in this. I mean, yeah, he's hilarious, but the screening I went to, he just rocked the house. Every fleck of sarcasm was just great.

"Someone blows their nose and YOU want to keep it."

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
probably going to binge through some Real Ghostbusters classic episodes tonight (Lorenzo Music as Venkman, Arsenio Hall as Winston). Probably going for When Halloween Was Forever, Mrs Rogers Neighbourhood (Watt still scares me), Ragnarok & Roll, Knock Knock and one other I'll randomly select.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

probably going to binge through some Real Ghostbusters classic episodes tonight (Lorenzo Music as Venkman, Arsenio Hall as Winston). Probably going for When Halloween Was Forever, Mrs Rogers Neighbourhood (Watt still scares me), Ragnarok & Roll, Knock Knock and one other I'll randomly select.

The Boogieman Cometh? I remember that one being really creepy.

• Locked thread