Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Springheel Jill posted:

So... roasted pumpkin seeds. It's that time again, right?

I carved two pumpkins tonight and one of them had ALL THE SEEDS, so I've got something like two and a half cups' worth, washed, picked over, and spread out on paper towels to dry. This year, I thought that I would try following the online recipes that say to let them dry overnight, then coat them lightly in oil and roast them for an hour at 250, low and slow. Haven't tried that temp/time combination yet.

How do you guys usually roast yours? Skillet, oven? Medium temp, low temp? And what oils/spices/coatings do you prefer?

I usually can't wait for mine. I rinse them, pat them dry, coat them and sling them in a medium to hot oven for ten minutes or so until they are golden brown and delicious. I like salt/pepper/melted butter, salt/cayenne/olive oil and salt/garlic powder/olive oil oh man I love roasted pumpkin seeds. I'm getting another pumpkin for tonight so if it is loaded with seeds then I might try the overnight slow roast method. I do the same with most squash seeds too, they are all pretty tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Does anyone know a good source for alcohol-free liquid flavorings? I bought my last batch online, but the manufacturer seems to have gone under (Spicery Shoppe was the brand). I've found a few places where I can get a small variety of flavors, but the Spicery Shoppe flavors came in a much wider selection.

I'm thinking about making candy glass again this year for Christmas, and the alcohol-free flavorings work better at the high temperatures it requires.

I would especially be interested in a really good butterscotch flavoring. I used it in both the candy and a batch of sugar cookies, and they were a huge hit.

Edit: also, in regards to pumpkin seeds, I really love to toss them in a little bit of sesame oil before putting them in the oven.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

eightysixed posted:

Does anyone have a link to Alton Brown's (I think it was his..) meatloaf recipe? All I can find is the Good Eats one with croutons and cayenne pepper and whatnot.

This one was similar to that (with the almost pureed veggies), but I can't seem to find it anymore, and someone was asking me about it. Thanks :)

There are several fan-made variations on the internet

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-...iw=994&bih=1031

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ktb posted:

I usually can't wait for mine. I rinse them, pat them dry, coat them and sling them in a medium to hot oven for ten minutes or so until they are golden brown and delicious. I like salt/pepper/melted butter, salt/cayenne/olive oil and salt/garlic powder/olive oil oh man I love roasted pumpkin seeds. I'm getting another pumpkin for tonight so if it is loaded with seeds then I might try the overnight slow roast method. I do the same with most squash seeds too, they are all pretty tasty.

Yeah, I never wait. Wash, pat dry, toss with oil and salt, bake on cookie sheet at 300.

The only trick is getting the level of roast exactly right... I like the point just before where they start to burn.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Ah, you're right, it was a variation of Alton Brown's. For anyone interested, it was this one -

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2007/03/classic-all-american-meatloaf.html

So good :)

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Can I freeze stuff in glass jars?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

razz posted:

Can I freeze stuff in glass jars?
I'd recommend against water (it's somewhat unique in that it expands when frozen), but it seems some people freeze their chicken stock in glass jars and compensate for the expansion by leaving some room at the top

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Steve Yun posted:

I'd recommend against water (it's somewhat unique in that it expands when frozen), but it seems some people freeze their chicken stock in glass jars and compensate for the expansion by leaving some room at the top

I was actually thinking about chili. I'm making a bunch right now and my roommate hoards glass jars (seriously we have to have at least 30) and anything tomato-y like chili stains plastic containers and makes it look gross.

I was actually thinking about putting chili in jars maybe 1/2 full > freezing chili > putting on lid. To avoid explosions. That work?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I freeze pasta sauces and chili all the time, you'll be fine unless the glass is really poo poo quality and can't handle the cold or something. Do what Steve Yun suggested and leave some air near the top to compensate for any expansion.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You could probably go almost full and leave an inch at the the top

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Should I let the chili cool before freezing it? And should I put the lid on right away or wait until it's frozen? For some reason I've got it in my head that closing jars of warm chili and putting them in the freezer will cause them to bust.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You should line a cup/jar with a Ziploc bag and then put the chili into that. That was it'll be more convenient to portion it out.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Kenning posted:

You should line a cup/jar with a Ziploc bag and then put the chili into that. That was it'll be more convenient to portion it out.

You mean just freeze it in bags and skip the jar thing altogether?

I'm sorry I feel like I need you guys to hold my hand here! I'm confused! Haha!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I mean yeah, you just use the jar to make it leaps and bounds easier to scoop the chili into. It holds the bag open just right.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

razz posted:

Should I let the chili cool before freezing it? And should I put the lid on right away or wait until it's frozen? For some reason I've got it in my head that closing jars of warm chili and putting them in the freezer will cause them to bust.

Not so much that, but I believe that when you put warm meats (or meat-based chili I guess) straight into a cooler or freezer, the outside will cool while the inside remains warm, which allows bacteria to go nuts.

Just cool it to room temperature, it's chili; nothing will happen if you leave it overnight on the stovetop with a lid on.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Kenning posted:

I mean yeah, you just use the jar to make it leaps and bounds easier to scoop the chili into. It holds the bag open just right.

And freezer-safe plastic containers are cheaper than glass and stack well, plus you can portion out individual cups or whatever size you normally consume. You can always run hot water over the outside and pop out the frozen chili, unlike a jar that will require a full defrosting before you can empty it.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Okay, thanks so much everyone. Like most things in my life, I am definitely making this more complicated than it needs to be :)

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Junior G-man posted:

Not so much that, but I believe that when you put warm meats (or meat-based chili I guess) straight into a cooler or freezer, the outside will cool while the inside remains warm, which allows bacteria to go nuts.

Just cool it to room temperature, it's chili; nothing will happen if you leave it overnight on the stovetop with a lid on.

I find this statement confusing. Surely there would be less time in the "danger zone" putting chili in the fridge as compared to leaving it out overnight where it will come to room temp in a couple hours and then sit there for a few hours more?

The real thing to be concerned about is loving up everything else in your fridge when it comes to putting a large hot mass in your fridge/freezer - ambient temp is brought up, everything gets warmer than it should, and your compressor has to work overtime.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.

razz posted:

Extreme temperatures are a big no for glass, with or without a lid. Are you trying to can the chili or just need a container for in the freezer?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Naw, just trying to freeze it for later use. Seems like glass containers might be more trouble than they're worth though.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I find that if you put hot stuff into a glass jar, and then put it into the fridge/freezer right away then it's 100 times more difficult to open the lid. So I would lightly close it until it's cold, then tighten it proper.

I freeze small portions of things all the time in glass jars, but never large portions. I'm not a big fan of plastic containers in general.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jyrraeth posted:

I find that if you put hot stuff into a glass jar, and then put it into the fridge/freezer right away then it's 100 times more difficult to open the lid. So I would lightly close it until it's cold, then tighten it proper.

Air contracts as it gets cooler, making a vacuum seal of the jar. This will happen with any airtight container, not just glass.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Springheel Jill posted:

So... roasted pumpkin seeds. It's that time again, right?

I carved two pumpkins tonight and one of them had ALL THE SEEDS, so I've got something like two and a half cups' worth, washed, picked over, and spread out on paper towels to dry. This year, I thought that I would try following the online recipes that say to let them dry overnight, then coat them lightly in oil and roast them for an hour at 250, low and slow. Haven't tried that temp/time combination yet.

How do you guys usually roast yours? Skillet, oven? Medium temp, low temp? And what oils/spices/coatings do you prefer?

Trip report: an hour (well, seventy minutes) at 250, coated in olive oil and sea salt, and they turned out pretty goddamned delicious. I can't keep my face out of them.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I made my first reduction last night, and the recipe called for minced shallots. I ended up using a garlic crusher, but the results were pretty messy. Is there an easy way to mince them by hand, or should I just try and use a blender or something?

Speaking of blenders, I have a terrible urge to go buy one and get some frozen yoghurt and fruit to make smoothies. I tried looking online, but most of the recipes I found contain orange or pineapple juice, and they sound like they might be very sickly. Does anyone have any good Smoothie recipes or tips?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Gerblyn posted:

Speaking of blenders, I have a terrible urge to go buy one and get some frozen yoghurt and fruit to make smoothies. I tried looking online, but most of the recipes I found contain orange or pineapple juice, and they sound like they might be very sickly. Does anyone have any good Smoothie recipes or tips?

Juice isn't necessary, at least in most.

Just blitz yoghurt, a few ice cubes, and your desired fruit together. Keep a strong hand on the lid of your blender though; if the icecubes bounce out of the vortex you can end up with strawberry ceilings.

(I vaguely recall you being Dutch; just get the frozen berries from the Albert Heijn, they're ideal for smoothy making)

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 1, 2011

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
:siren: I am an idiot n00b chef :siren:

I have friends coming over tonight for dinner. I am making enchiladas. I actually had a trial run a few days before and they came out alright. The one major step that I skipped was not shredding the chicken. I am not quite sure how to do that.

From what I understand. I should just throw the chicken breasts into a pot and steam it. Pull them out and attack the things with my fork and shred it up. But after that, then what? Do I throw the chicken shreds onto a pan with oil and cook it? I feel like maybe that would dry out the meat too much?

How I did it before, was just cut the chicken into small chunks, and put it in an oiled pan and cooked it for a bit. Then I put the sauce on top of it and threw it in the oven with the tortillas. Good?

I am just afraid of serving uncooked meat!

Electron Voltaire
Oct 27, 2010

Enigma89 posted:

:siren: I am an idiot n00b chef :siren:

I have friends coming over tonight for dinner. I am making enchiladas. I actually had a trial run a few days before and they came out alright. The one major step that I skipped was not shredding the chicken. I am not quite sure how to do that.

From what I understand. I should just throw the chicken breasts into a pot and steam it. Pull them out and attack the things with my fork and shred it up. But after that, then what? Do I throw the chicken shreds onto a pan with oil and cook it? I feel like maybe that would dry out the meat too much?

How I did it before, was just cut the chicken into small chunks, and put it in an oiled pan and cooked it for a bit. Then I put the sauce on top of it and threw it in the oven with the tortillas. Good?

I am just afraid of serving uncooked meat!

This is a recipe I like, if you want to use it as a guideline for the process (sub in your own sauce, etc.). http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/chicken-enchiladas-recipe/index.html

Basically, I cook the chicken in a little oil, then toss on a plate, cool, and shred it up with a couple forks. You'll definitely be able to see if the chicken is cooked (opaque, white) or not (translucent, pink). Then put the shredded chicken back in the pan with some diced vegetables and tomatoes so it gets all moist and flavorful before assembling and throwing in the oven.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
QUICK

I need to thicken a watery tomato sauce.

I'm making meatballs. I've followed this recipe that has the meatballs go uncooked straight into rapidly boiling sauce. In the past I've had problems with them cooking too slowly and disintegrating. This time I made sure the sauce was boiling at a good clip before I added the balls. It seems to have worked like an absolute charm - they're staying good and solid.

But I made the sauce pretty watery to get that to happen and now the sauce is too thin! I'm pretty handy with roux and cornstarch thickening, but I've never used either with tomato sauce and have no idea if it'll work. It's simmering now with the lid off in the hope I can thicken it down but its not looking good.

E: will taking the meatballs out when they're done and cooking a bunch of pasta in the thin sauce work? I know you need to get pasta up to temperature but if this sauce stays as thin as it is I'm pretty sure I can boil it good and hot. Will the starchyness ruin it? What if I half cook the pasta normally and finish it in the sauce?

Fagtastic fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 1, 2011

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
How quickly do you need it to thicken? Keep it on a simmer and just let it go to town. Make sure you stir it occasionally so nothing gets crusted on the bottom. Depending on how watery it is, it should only take about 30 min or so.

EDIT: Do you have any tomato paste handy? Works well as a thickener in a pinch, but it will obviously throw the balance of your sauce off.

angor fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 1, 2011

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Burning the bottom has been my problem in the past, but actually now that I haven't allowed the balls to disintegrate that doesn't seem to be happening. I can afford to wait half an hour but it's pretty thin. I'm holding the 'cook half-done pasta in it' thing as a last resort unless anyone has horror stories.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
If you keep it at a simmer and not a boil, the bottom shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Some quick Googling says breadcrumbs will work, but that would probably be gross. What about adding a quarter cup of parmesan/romano? Don't use the poo poo in a can, it will never melt and your sauce will be grainy and weird.

The pasta thing sounds like it's a horror story waiting to happen, but I've never tried it, so no idea. Good luck!

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Fagtastic posted:

QUICK

I need to thicken a watery tomato sauce.

A Beurre Maníe will sort you out. Guide with pictures.

Just mash equal quantities of soft butter and flower with a fork, and stir into the sauce bit by bit until you've reached the desired consistency. It will thicken a little further while cooking, so keep it just under the thickness you want.

Keep simmering for a few minutes after the beurre has gone in to avoid a flour-y aftertaste.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I got a roomate who won't do parmesan. Not even the good stuff (which is what I have - it's already present in the meatballs (shh). He can't get over the fact that it literally smells exactly the same as vomit. I'm not game to dump a tonne of it in the sauce. Also it's loving expensive.

Sauce seems to be slooowly getting thicker as it simmers. I got a bunch of hungry people on my hands but they'll have to deal.

Junior G-man posted:

Beurre Maníe
I've used this extensively before, for this lovely chilli I had to make all the time for a mates bar. Also used it to thicken shepherds pie.

Have you, personally, done this with a tomato sauce? I'm not sure I like the idea of all that flour...

E: also I just realised I used up my flour last night making dumplings.

E2: also, the sauce is thickening nicely. I've got a bunch of starving human beings on my hands but it's okay now. Sorry I panicked!

Fagtastic fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 1, 2011

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003

Gerblyn posted:

I made my first reduction last night, and the recipe called for minced shallots. I ended up using a garlic crusher, but the results were pretty messy. Is there an easy way to mince them by hand, or should I just try and use a blender or something?
Like so.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

MagnumHB posted:

Like so.

He just chopped them up! :mad:

(Thanks, I had a feeling actually mincing them literally was overdoing it.)

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Fagtastic, definitely just be patient. If a tomato sauce is watery, adding starches may thicken it but that's all it ends up being: thickened watery tomato sauce. There won't be enough tomato for the volume of sauce to give a good tomato flavor.

Edit: Ah looks like it resolved itself, that's what I get for leaving the reply window open while I make breakfast. Glad it's working out!

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Electron Voltaire posted:

This is a recipe I like, if you want to use it as a guideline for the process (sub in your own sauce, etc.). http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/chicken-enchiladas-recipe/index.html

Basically, I cook the chicken in a little oil, then toss on a plate, cool, and shred it up with a couple forks. You'll definitely be able to see if the chicken is cooked (opaque, white) or not (translucent, pink). Then put the shredded chicken back in the pan with some diced vegetables and tomatoes so it gets all moist and flavorful before assembling and throwing in the oven.

Thank you!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Do folks have a favorite brand of Vietnamese or Thai fish sauce? Last brand I tried was "Squid" and I wasn't a huge fan.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Gerblyn posted:

He just chopped them up! :mad:

(Thanks, I had a feeling actually mincing them literally was overdoing it.)

From left to right, minced, diced, and chopped:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

The Macaroni posted:

Do folks have a favorite brand of Vietnamese or Thai fish sauce? Last brand I tried was "Squid" and I wasn't a huge fan.

I like Phu Quoc, personally.

If you have an Asian market near you, it might be possible to buy several smallish bottles of different brands so you can sample and decide what you like. My local Korean grocery has an entire aisle of the stuff.

I didn't see any answers to my question before, and I don't want to pester the thread too much, but I still haven't had any luck finding a source of alcohol-free flavoring with any variety. The few places I was able to find online were all wholesale vendors and the containers were huge. Does anyone know of a good replacement for the Spicery Shoppe brand that appears to have gone out of business?