Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
BF3 runs great on my now-sold iMac. Also hi movax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Bonobos posted:

I am thinking about doing the same thing, with the same ssd. How do you like the Crucial M4? I heard that the garbage collection on the M4 is terrible, and you cannot reliably enable trim in Lion on these ssd's.

Have you experienced any degradation in performance with this particular ssd?

I may not be the best person to ask: one M4 is basically the read-only boot drive to an iMac where an internal HDD is used for scratch and any other heavy file cycling, the other is the sole disk in a MacBook where I basically do some light design, coding and browsing. I don't think they're being used in such a way that would see degradation so quickly, but I haven't noticed a hiccup in either. I'm very happy to have them. I don't think it's worth patching every time a new dot release of OS X pushes out.

In other news, the "try every Apple store until you get the result you like" method yielded beautiful fruit today. The used black MacBook I bought had some minor swelling on the battery. I asked one store if it was anything to worry about and they said, "Sure, replace it. Bye!" without peeking at it. Another store just said "You shouldn't have to experience that, I think I can help you out!" and busted open the shrink on an off-the-shelf battery for $0.00. I am very grateful for this.

invid
Dec 19, 2002
What would be a good SSD for a late 2008 Unibody MBP? I'm still in university and need to squeeze every inch of performance on this thing. I also need storage, I'm debating whether I should go for the WD Scorpio 750GB or go for an SSD with a ext WD FW800 for scratch disk and storage. There isn't much a big difference in price from the SSD and HDD due to the recent floods in Thailand.

I understand that the 2008 MBP can only max transfer at 1.5gbps, any recommendations that hits price/performance ratio as I don't intend to futureproof the machine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

invid posted:

What would be a good SSD for a late 2008 Unibody MBP?

Intel.

invid posted:

I also need storage, I'm debating whether I should go for the WD Scorpio 750GB or go for an SSD with a ext WD FW800 for scratch disk and storage.
FW externals are expensive.

invid posted:

There isn't much a big difference in price from the SSD and HDD due to the recent floods in Thailand.

HDD's are still 5-10 times cheaper. If you mean the cheapest HD you can get is not much less than say, a 120GB SSD, you might have a point.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Bob Morales posted:

Intel.

FW externals are expensive.

HDD's are still 5-10 times cheaper. If you mean the cheapest HD you can get is not much less than say, a 120GB SSD, you might have a point.

Do you use the optical? You could use your current drive as scratch and also add an ssd with a superbay or whatever. You may want to go to the store to get an hdd today if you really want one as they will skyrocket tomorrow when the periodicals are up.

invid
Dec 19, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, the price difference on the WD Scorpio Black 750GB and an Intel320 120GB is roughly $85~. I really need the storage space though.

invid
Dec 19, 2002

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Do you use the optical? You could use your current drive as scratch and also add an ssd with a superbay or whatever. You may want to go to the store to get an hdd today if you really want one as they will skyrocket tomorrow when the periodicals are up.

I need the optical, I do some video editing work and need to burn DVD's for clients. I think i might just drop the money and get the WD MyStudio for scratch-disk and storage.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Don't use an external drive for swap/scratch space. That will hamper performance greatly.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

wolffenstein posted:

BF3 runs great on my now-sold iMac. Also hi movax.

'Sup dude :buddy:

invid: Intel 320 would probably be a good choice, maybe a used G2 Intel drive as well? Intel is definitely the most troublefree, I'll get a rare kernel panic with my Vertex 2, but that's after not rebooting the machine for a month; price I'm willing to pay.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

flyboi posted:

Don't use an external drive for swap/scratch space. That will hamper performance greatly.

I was rendering some video today on a current Mac Pro. While it was chugging, I checked Activity Monitor and it said FCP was using only 11% of the CPU. Is this my internal HDD write speed bottleneck?

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002
Anyone know if there is an issues with physical size installing one of these drives into a early 2011 macbook pro with the optical drive adapter?

750GB
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Scorpio-Internal-2-5-Inch/dp/tech-data/B004I9J5OG/ref=de_a_smtd

1TB
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034ZD5P0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

lord funk posted:

I was rendering some video today on a current Mac Pro. While it was chugging, I checked Activity Monitor and it said FCP was using only 11% of the CPU. Is this my internal HDD write speed bottleneck?

Ideally you want FCP and your media to be on different disks, and you want the disk your media is on to be the fastest possible. If your doing say DV you should be able to get away with a FW 800 drive, on an internal drive you should be able to get away with maybe one stream of HD material, depending on the codec and bitrate, anything more than that and you are going to need to start investigating RAIDs; eSATA, SAS/miniSAS, or Fibre.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

lord funk posted:

How much RAM have you got? It could just be constantly swapping after it saturates. 16GB helped us out a lot. I'd think unless you're rendering lossless uncompressed you should be just fine rendering to a different disk than your scratch / source. I'm spoiled enough at work to achieve 320MB/s writes on our X San, but internally I get 110MB/s on a single HDD in a 2009 Mac Pro.

edit: lossy/lossless brainfart

kuskus fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 31, 2011

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I'd like to make the move to SSD in my early 2008 MacBook. Which drive is the most reliable? Not really concerned about price but it has to be 128GB or more.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

TheManWithNoName posted:

I'd like to make the move to SSD in my early 2008 MacBook. Which drive is the most reliable? Not really concerned about price but it has to be 128GB or more.

If you are not concerned at all: Intel. Super Reliable.
Want something less than an Intel: Crucial M4
Want to waste money: OCZ [cutting edge is the bleeding edge]

I got the M4 because it was cheaper by like $50 for the 256GB version. Its been great in my MBP 13" and I have absolutely no complaints /[singular data point].

ptier fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 31, 2011

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
So my new (refurbished) MacBook Pro has been messing up with the headphone jack. My iPhone headphones were working good, but then moving them around I got shocked from them. Hooked up some other speakers and all kinds of feedback and noise unless the cable was positioned exactly right.

I'm under applecare, and I know I need to take it in. So I have a couple of questions. I put an SSD/RAM/optibay in it, do I need to pull that stuff out? Also, will they do a swap out, or try to repair it?

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002
I cant seem to find it on Apples website, but can you buy Applecare for a newly purchased refurbished product?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

PrettyhateM posted:

I cant seem to find it on Apples website, but can you buy Applecare for a newly purchased refurbished product?
Yes.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

MrEnigma posted:

I put an SSD/RAM/optibay in it, do I need to pull that stuff out?

Some Fruit Stands are cool with mods you make, others will try to blame your problem on the stuff you put in. If I were you, I'd swap everything that was originally there before your mods back in so the Fruit Stand guys don't have any cause to blame anything but their own parts.

quote:

Also, will they do a swap out, or try to repair it?

What model of MacBook Pro is it? Could you go read the OP and get back to us? We have no loving clue at this point because you didn't tell us. But it's kind of a moot point, audio connections are usually not in a separate module, they're usually part of the logic board so they'd likely just swap the logic board.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Binary Badger posted:

Some Fruit Stands are cool with mods you make, others will try to blame your problem on the stuff you put in. If I were you, I'd swap everything that was originally there before your mods back in so the Fruit Stand guys don't have any cause to blame anything but their own parts.

What model of MacBook Pro is it? Could you go read the OP and get back to us? We have no loving clue at this point because you didn't tell us. But it's kind of a moot point, audio connections are usually not in a separate module, they're usually part of the logic board so they'd likely just swap the logic board.

It's a early 2011 thunderbolt. This one: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC723LL/A

I have a certified apple repair place here (no apple stores around here), I'd assume I'd lose it for a few days? Otherwise I will be by an apple store next week, but again, the repairs I've done before are usually 2-3 day affairs.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

invid posted:

What would be a good SSD for a late 2008 Unibody MBP? I'm still in university and need to squeeze every inch of performance on this thing. I also need storage, I'm debating whether I should go for the WD Scorpio 750GB or go for an SSD with a ext WD FW800 for scratch disk and storage. There isn't much a big difference in price from the SSD and HDD due to the recent floods in Thailand.

I understand that the 2008 MBP can only max transfer at 1.5gbps, any recommendations that hits price/performance ratio as I don't intend to futureproof the machine.
I have a late 2009 MBP and have been on the fence about this myself. I originally replaced the stock drive with a WD Scorpio Blue 640 GB, which performed rather well up until recent. Ever since my Lion install it has been beach balling frequently and WD is RMA'ing the drive. They've upped me to a WD Scorpio Black 750GB which should be here Monday. I'll definitely write a short review for you if you're interested.

Also I believe many have mentioned the better option of replacing your optical drive with your current drive and making your main drive boot from a SSD. Many "optibay" equivalents now offer enclosures for your superdrive to work via USB.

I personally would rather a second HDD via Optibay and an external superdrive for when I do need to burn a disk.

In other news I was getting the SERVICE BATTERY warning on my 24 month old MBP. Brought it in yesterday and had it back in my hands today with a brand new battery free of charge thanks to AppleCare.

NerdPolice fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 1, 2011

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I've got a little dilemma.

I'm thinking of upgrading from my 15" 3.1 Rosetta Macbook Pro. Problem is, I can't decide between the 13" Air and the 13" Macbook Pro (can't afford a 15" yet).

They cost the same, the Air is lighter and has a better screen (same resolution as my old Macbook Pro), yet isn't really upgradeable when it comes to ram. The MBP is uh, heavier, has the same internals, a crappier screen and a superdrive that will probably poo poo itself after 2 months of use.

Also, there's rumors that a new MB Air is coming out. I need a laptop for web design, and I really can't decide. Please help dudes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

awesome-express posted:

I'm thinking of upgrading from my 15" 3.1 Rosetta Macbook Pro. Problem is, I can't decide between the 13" Air and the 13" Macbook Pro (can't afford a 15" yet).

They cost the same, the Air is lighter and has a better screen (same resolution as my old Macbook Pro), yet isn't really upgradeable when it comes to ram. The MBP is uh, heavier, has the same internals, a crappier screen and a superdrive that will probably poo poo itself after 2 months of use.

Do you need more than 4GB RAM? The screen alone is worth going with the Air.

quote:

Also, there's rumors that a new MB Air is coming out. I need a laptop for web design, and I really can't decide. Please help dudes.

Not anytime soon.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

awesome-express posted:

I love my 13" MBA and haven't had any issues with the amount of RAM, usually keeping XCode, iPhoneSimulator and a few browser windows going at once. The SSD makes a huge difference.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

MBA is an easy choice, the performance difference is negligible for what it sounds like your usage will be, the form factor and screen is substantially better, and you get an SSD, for essentially the same price.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

blah_blah posted:

MBA is an easy choice, the performance difference is negligible for what it sounds like your usage will be, the form factor and screen is substantially better, and you get an SSD, for essentially the same price.

If you buy the Pro at Microcenter it's $999, instead of $1299 for the Air. That's 30% more.

Really, the only reasons to get the Pro:
  • You literally only have $999
  • You need an optical drive
  • You need more than 256GB HD space
  • You need 8GB or possibly 16GB of RAM
  • Extra hour or two of battery life

The Air also doesn't have as glossy of a screen, which is nice.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
The MBA is only $1225 on amazon, and the Microcenter MBP price is in-store only so you will be paying sales tax on it. So that makes the price difference more like $125-$175, depending on your state.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Did everyone end up getting their Macbooks from Amazon with that big coupon they had a while back?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
13" MBA is just under $1200 on MacMall (that's where I got mine) after applying this here code: APPINSDRMWB29068

http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

If you buy the Pro at Microcenter it's $999, instead of $1299 for the Air. That's 30% more.

The refurb 13" i5 MBP is $929. Hard to go wrong with that, although it's still a shame about the screen.

poo poo, the base model 2010 15" is $1189 right now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Does anyone know the model of the 750GB drive in the 2011 MBP (I guess both drives for the later versions but at least the 5400 rpm one)?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kekekela posted:

13" MBA is just under $1200 on MacMall (that's where I got mine) after applying this here code: APPINSDRMWB29068

http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

Best Buy has most of the Macs for lower than Apple store pricing, too. Like $939 for a $999 Air. Of course, you'll have to pay sales tax but you can use a Best Buy credit card/financing offer or Best Buy gift cards.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Did everyone end up getting their Macbooks from Amazon with that big coupon they had a while back?

I did, any questions in particular?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shmoogy posted:

I did, any questions in particular?

I was just curious if Amazon ended up canceling the deal or anything, never heard anything more about it after the huge surge of people that were trying to buy the coupons.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
I'm kind of torn about a buying decision. I essentially have a one-week window in which I can make a purchase (on my vacation to a place where Apple products aren't 35-50% more expensive).

I currently have a good desktop PC that satisfies all my performance needs. I also have a 10" Atom-based netbook that is obviously pretty slow, but it does what I need of it (browser, Word, old games). Both run Windows 7. I have no iPhone, iPod, or any kind of smartphone whatsoever.

I used to do programming on Mac OS X until about 2007 or 2008. I'm familiar with Cocoa and Objective-C. My Mac at the time died completely not long after the iPhone SDK was first released. I am interested in getting into iOS development, iPad development in particular. An eventual commercial benefit would be a fine thing indeed, but I know it's probably a lofty aim.

Now, if money were no issue, I'd get a 13" MacBook Air and an iPad. Realistically, however, I'm questioning the utility of an iPad when one already has a highly portable laptop with the MacBook Air. My commute to work takes 15 minutes and I don't even have to go to work every day. I don't have to wait around in offices. I fly round-trip around four times a year and I go on long bus or car journeys perhaps twice a year. I am a huge fan of using my netbook in bed or on the couch, however, but the only use I can find exclusive to the iPad is being able to whip it out quickly without unfolding and also to watch movies at the gym to make cardio go by faster. And last but not least, being my eventual target platform for development, having an iPad of my own would be very convenient for testing. I have friends with iPads, but that's hardly the same.

But money is an issue. One option that is perhaps more prudent is to get a Mac Mini and an iPad. I would use the iPad over my current netbook for a lot of things, but the Mac Mini will be a little bit redundant, playing second fiddle to my existing desktop PC. It would basically be a $600 commitment to developing for iOS and little more. I have no other use for a desktop Mac. Another option is to get the MacBook Air alone, perhaps along with an iPod Touch for general use as well as being able to test on one iOS platform at least. Then if I get to a state when I have an app that I'm ready to test and eventually release, I can borrow a friend's or buy my own at increased cost. In this case my netbook would essentially be retired--not really a great loss.

Choosing between the MacBook Air + iPad, Mac Mini + iPad, and MacBook Air (+ iPod touch?), I stand to save (or, depending on how you look at it, spend) around 400 to 700 dollars. I could use some of that to get a new coat or stay at a better hotel for the two or three nights I expect to stay at one. Ugh, choices are hard. Essentially my problem is my desire for shiny things vs. my commitment to programming vs. my wallet. Advice? drat it, maybe I should only get the iPad.

cancelope fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 4, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Why not buy a used Macbook to do development work on? A C2D white Macbook can be had for $300-$400 and is more than fine for making apps. That's assuming you're visiting the USA and can jump on craigslist or something.

Would selling your desktop offset the cost of a new Mac Mini at all? Sell the netbook if you bought an Air?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

asaf posted:

being my eventual target platform for development, having an iPad of my own would be very convenient for testing.

There is no substitute for the real thing when it comes to testing. You will find 1000% more information about rotation, multi-touch interface interaction, and performance with a real iPad. The simulator doesn't cut it.

If you do go with a Mini+iPad, remember that the resale value is great for the Mini in case you want to switch to a portable later.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train

lord funk posted:

There is no substitute for the real thing when it comes to testing. You will find 1000% more information about rotation, multi-touch interface interaction, and performance with a real iPad. The simulator doesn't cut it.

If you do go with a Mini+iPad, remember that the resale value is great for the Mini in case you want to switch to a portable later.

Well I'm questioning how serious I'm going to be about this. I'm the kind of person that will get everything needed for a project, tell half the world about it, and never start.

The resale value is a comforting thought - prices being as they are here in Turkey, I could get away with selling for close to what I buy it for: the $799 Mac Mini is sold for about $1,100-$1,200 retail.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I have a Mac Mini and iPad, and the combo works perfectly. I run two 23" ASUS monitors off of it. The one thing you absolutely have to do for any of the models, especially the base model, is bump it up to 8GB of RAM, which is dirt cheap to do, anyway. I bought two Crucial chips for $40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

asaf posted:

Well I'm questioning how serious I'm going to be about this. I'm the kind of person that will get everything needed for a project, tell half the world about it, and never start.

The resale value is a comforting thought - prices being as they are here in Turkey, I could get away with selling for close to what I buy it for: the $799 Mac Mini is sold for about $1,100-$1,200 retail.
I'd lean towards iPad+Mac mini combo cause other than the cheapest combo for iPad development if you go that path...

asaf posted:

I am a huge fan of using my netbook in bed or on the couch, however, but the only use I can find exclusive to the iPad is being able to whip it out quickly without unfolding and also to watch movies at the gym to make cardio go by faster.
While the uses may not be exclusive to the iPad, there's a decent chance the experience will be better on it for your basic tasks. If you have a lovely netbook like I have, using the iPad is a vast improvement for the most part. And instead of old games, well there's a shitload of stuff on the App Store (...and some old games).