Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cliff Racer posted:

Put me down as a Comet fan. Sexy, fast, good at turning, doesn't flip often and you can hop right in it if the doors are closed. Just wish it was a four seater.

Also in Vice City you can get it by hopping over the door aka the only proper way to get into a convertible.

Vice city also had that cool motorcycle jacking animation where he would leap over the handlebars and kick the rider off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

Vice city also had that cool motorcycle jacking animation where he would leap over the handlebars and kick the rider off.

As much as I've embraced the more realistic overtone in GTAIV, I hope they bring stuff like this back in GTAV, or at least in another future title.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cliff Racer posted:

Put me down as a Comet fan. Sexy, fast, good at turning, doesn't flip often and you can hop right in it if the doors are closed. Just wish it was a four seater.

Oh yeah the Comet is nice as heck.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The cheetah was the best car in the 3 era games. If you don't think so, you're dumb. Mafia sentinel was second best. I always tried to collect special cars. Like the lightless taxi in III that took ages to get. I locked it up in the first safehouse, and never went back to keep it safe forever.

Raban
Aug 23, 2007
My favorite for cruising around Liberty...

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
That's such a cute pink car.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Pink or not, the Feltzer is the greatest drifting car since the Elegy. Not my favorite, but definitely a great ride.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Let's talk about our favorite GTAIV characters. Out of all of the dates Niko has, Michelle gets top marks. When I first played the game, I predicted she was a cop due to her snooping around Niko's business all the time. Still, when she brings him in and betrays him and Little Jacob while on a mission, you could tell she still kind of fell for the guy despite the act.

Another favorite character would have to be Jim in TLAD. Playing TLAD after GTAIV and remembering his fate in GTAIV is just sad, given he was one of the few of the Lost with his head down to Earth.

I think The Lost and the Damned and how it weaves with GTAIV to be utterly fantastic. The fates of the characters, and watching this urban tragedy spiral out of control was absolutely nuts.

Replaying GTAIV to see how it all fits makes me love TLAD even more.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I've been a car damage freak since I started gaming, I don't know why but i always loved car crashes (As weird as that sounds). I wanted games to replicate that, I think Destruction Derb 2 on the PS1 was a good start. It's funny.....games never modelled damage on their roofs for a LONG time, probably as they didn't want characters heads poking through.

GTA4 has the BEST car damage in any game, especially with a 5x multiplier (pc version), the crashes are spectacular, and nearly very real. The only thing it could use is better decals when the car is damage (paint flicking off and more scratching).

GRID was good, but was very pre-determined, and was the old 'panel damage'. GTA4 you can just keep on loving up your car for eternity.

I love taking the perennial (the car with the glass roof), and flipping it. It's like the car from jurassic park afterwards.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?
By far the best feature of GTA IV is the Swingset of Glitch. Spent many hours of multiplayer doing competitive launching/seeing how devastated we could make our vehicles.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Put boats in between the railing that protects the grass and the swingset.
Actually boats + the swingset is loving madness regardless :stare:

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet
http://gta.wikia.com/Savanna

the savanna was ALWAYS my whip in san andreas. No matter what part of the game i was in, no matter how much money i had, you could always see me cruisin' past the alhambra in my hot-pink drop-top savannah with hydraulics and the gangsta rims.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
My favourite regular GTA3 era car would have to be the beast known as The Stallion:

Fantastic at taking sliding corners unlike say a Sabre and reasonably quick without being insane. I've lost so many hours driving these like a maniac around the San Fiero back roads.

Also, I miss the 'Beat the Cock' triathlons from San Andreas. They were a bit obscure but a hell of a lot of fun through seeing how long you could pound run before your fingers fell off. I felt things like that were sorely missing in the no fun allowed incarnation that is GTA IV. Just driving somewhere and shooting some goons from behind cover, friends bugging the crap out you and missing content like an empty go kart track and such.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Himuro posted:

Let's talk about our favorite GTAIV characters. Out of all of the dates Niko has, Michelle gets top marks. When I first played the game, I predicted she was a cop due to her snooping around Niko's business all the time. Still, when she brings him in and betrays him and Little Jacob while on a mission, you could tell she still kind of fell for the guy despite the act.

Another favorite character would have to be Jim in TLAD. Playing TLAD after GTAIV and remembering his fate in GTAIV is just sad, given he was one of the few of the Lost with his head down to Earth.

I think The Lost and the Damned and how it weaves with GTAIV to be utterly fantastic. The fates of the characters, and watching this urban tragedy spiral out of control was absolutely nuts.

Replaying GTAIV to see how it all fits makes me love TLAD even more.

His implementation in the story could be a lot better but I really liked brucie on the actual mandates.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Exactly 2 days until Rockstar announces the next GTA game that everyone will claim to hate despite it being nearly perfect!

What GTAV needs to do to make nerds like it: literally keep the words "you can turn the cell phone off, you know" flashing in the upper-right hand corner of the screen.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Never underestimate the ability of Internet nerds to find something to hate on in something popular and well-done.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
What are some good non-graphical Realism mods? Stuff like the more traffic mod. Maybe smarter police or something.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Does San Andreas have much in the way of interesting mods, Hot Coffee aside?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Polo-Rican posted:

Exactly 2 days until Rockstar announces the next GTA game that everyone will claim to hate despite it being nearly perfect!

What GTAV needs to do to make nerds like it: literally keep the words "you can turn the cell phone off, you know" flashing in the upper-right hand corner of the screen.

That doesn't mean a thing.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
All this faggy edgy hipster car debate can suck my nozzle.

First person to ragequit multiplayer after being pinned down with a fire hose wins!

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money
After RDR I'm pretty positive about GTA5. A lot of the clunkiness of GTA4's gunplay got fixed in RDR, and I swear Marston handles a lot better than Niko, too. If Rockstar takes those lessons from RDR and keeps them in GTA5 it'll be a great game :)

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Polo-Rican posted:

Yes, quite.

My beef with GTA IV is actually not neither combat, cars, the technical aspects or even the mostly bland selection of radio channels.

While I didn't really like the whole buddy-buddy element, it was just a part of the problem I had with it. Because suddenly Rockstar assumed that I would care about Brucie, Niko, Roman and all the other NPCs. This was the sequel of a trilogy of games that had you get jetpacks, be an almost Tony Montana-esque character and fly radio controlled planes equipped with bombs around.

The whole tonal shift towards something more serious just jarred with me, which might be why I'm more attracted by Saints Row 3 than a GTA V. I'm having quite hard trying to make friends, when my character is a murderous psycho. I'd much rather have a Tommy Vercetti 2.0 than another Niko or Victor Lance.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Dush posted:

After RDR I'm pretty positive about GTA5. A lot of the clunkiness of GTA4's gunplay got fixed in RDR, and I swear Marston handles a lot better than Niko, too. If Rockstar takes those lessons from RDR and keeps them in GTA5 it'll be a great game :)

I agree. If Rockstar put everything they learned in RDR in GTA V, we'll have a dynamite game.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Dr Snofeld posted:

SA:MP can certainly be called interesting, and it's still more active today than I would've expected (the site says 18092 players and 4520 server are currently online). From there, you get even more interesting mods of SA:MP such as "Cops and Robbers", a mission-based RPG-lite. GTA Online is a weird world but worth trying out, in the case of SA and IV.

For single player, I've never tried any mods beyond the normal skins/textures/assets.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Dr Snofeld posted:

http://youtu.be/agTDR7fG1T8

The King of Mods.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
Okay, one more stupid question? Are the OXBox versions of the GTA 3 games backwards compatible with the 360, and if so, is it buggy? Are they worth it over the PS2 versions - I can pick up the GTA 3 collection at my local Wal-Mart easily from a bargain bin.

Edit: I'm just wondering because I vaguely remember the draw distance being kinda low on Vice City, but I'm not sure if that's just my mind mixing up Vice City and Vice City Stories - I'd like to play the sharpest looking version, but I also don't want to go out of my way to make a GTA game buggier. I'd go for the PC version with a gamepad, but I'm currently a Mac dork.

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 31, 2011

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

Florence Henderson's hand-jobs have Wesonality!

DrankSinatra posted:

Okay, one more stupid question? Are the OXBox versions of the GTA 3 games backwards compatible with the 360, and if so, is it buggy? Are they worth it over the PS2 versions - I can pick up the GTA 3 collection at my local Wal-Mart easily from a bargain bin.

They are compatible. The graphics are improved a little bit, but not in any way that matters. The big bonus is the analogue triggers for gas/brakes while driving.

Edit for your edit: Draw distance might be a little better. Load times are much better between zones in III and VC.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I agree. If Rockstar put everything they learned in RDR in GTA V, we'll have a dynamite game.

Rockstar North do GTA. Rockstar San Diego did Red Dead Redemption. I'm not sure how much crossover there would be between teams but I agree with the sentiment

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Hexaemeron posted:

They are compatible. The graphics are improved a little bit, but not in any way that matters. The big bonus is the analogue triggers for gas/brakes while driving.

Edit for your edit: Draw distance might be a little better. Load times are much better between zones in III and VC.

Oh yeah, the pop-in was the other thing I was curious about. It's a touch distracting - (I recall occasionally hitting a wall before it drew in, but again, I might be thinking of VCS on the PSP.)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Fixed my lock ups at least with my STEAM version of SA, didn't turn on the frame limiter. Back to 25 fps for me.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
GTAIV is brilliant. In the future when they teach classes on early 21st century America the professor will have his class play GTAIV.

Maintaining your friends is a statement on how facebook has turn friendship into a shallow personality contest.

Yes, I'm becoming rhe supermechagodzilla of games.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Replaying SA and I forgot just how bad the graphics were. A constant fog that limits your vision to a few hundred yards is really hard to adapt to. Also the targeting system is pretty horrible. I know - PS2, but still!

I still need to play ELC, so maybe I'll do that instead.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

err posted:

Replaying SA and I forgot just how bad the graphics were. A constant fog that limits your vision to a few hundred yards is really hard to adapt to. Also the targeting system is pretty horrible. I know - PS2, but still!

Yeah, I busted out Vice City on the PS Deuce the other day and I felt the same way.
The only thing that makes that game bearable is the music and environment. The gameplay is dated as hell and after enjoying the poo poo out of 4 (not a perfect game but far and away the funnest IMO) it's drat near unplayable to me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

err posted:

I still need to play ELC, so maybe I'll do that instead.

The old 'moving mouth' and static faces are hilariously creepy now yeah.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The PC versions of the III games are great, because you get to kick the fog way the gently caress out and all that. The farther vision distance in Xbox Vice City was awesome compared to the PS2 version even, and the PC version just that much better.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I'm finally getting around to playing gta4 and I was playing the mission from U L Paper where you chase down a helicopter and have to take it somewhere. Well I got to the dock fine and stole the helicopter easily but when I was taking it to the destination I misjudged distance and crashed into a sign and ripped the tail of my helicopter completely off. It failed the mission but I was still flying, in fact the tail-less helicopter flew better than the regular one.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

SeanBeansShako posted:

Fixed my lock ups at least with my STEAM version of SA, didn't turn on the frame limiter. Back to 25 fps for me.

Really?

I tried with the frame limiter on and it still messes up. 25fps is so so bad :(

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

San Andreas ruled because of the desert, mountain range, and badlands. It was basically Red Dead.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I use the frame limiter and get 60fps and it acts like regular vsync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Zedd posted:

I use the frame limiter and get 60fps and it acts like regular vsync.

I get 25fps, it is terrible.

I hope 5 is set in SA again!

• Locked thread