Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You relax. Did you leave your car at the rink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

poser posted:

I possibly gave my self a concussion but I just lost my job and have no insurance. What do I do:smith:

There's not really any specific treatment aside from rest for a concussion anyway as far as I know and I think even diagnosis is generally based on the circumstances of the injury (in my experience if you ever tell a doctor you were "stunned" by an impact they will immediately tell you have a concussion) unless you happened to take a baseline test at some point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why so many leagues these days are pushing baseline tests. Science hasn't come up with any better way to test.

Well, if you die, they can take brain shavings and put it under a microscope. :science:

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

poser posted:

I possibly gave my self a concussion but I just lost my job and have no insurance. What do I do:smith:

You take it easy for a while and don't play any sports. Make sure you don't have any concussion like symptoms. I got a concussion and was out almost 2 months.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Surfing Turtle posted:

You take it easy for a while and don't play any sports. Make sure you don't have any concussion like symptoms. I got a concussion and was out almost 2 months.

Dont lay down and go to sleep right away.

Wear a yellow jersey so people know "DONT HIT ME BRO, IM LINDROSSING OVER HERE"

Lay off the hockey. When I got my concussions, they both felt like I had a splitting headache, more like a migraine. Made me nauseous, really sensitive to light, pretty wobbly on my feet. If I'm not mistaken, the doctor gave me some pain killers, told me to rest and lay off sports for a few weeks to a month. This was also back in high school (10 years ago) so I can't remember correctly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The yellow jersey only counts if you actually get "I'M LINDROSSING OVER HERE" silk screened on the back.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

poser posted:

What kind of job are you looking for? Do you need to use your brain to make think?

If yes:
- take a few weeks off the hockey. Make sure no headaches, blurred vision, potentially see if there's a free clinic in your area and have a doctor check you out.

If no:
- "COME AT ME, BRO!"

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Verman posted:

Dont lay down and go to sleep right away.

Wear a yellow jersey so people know "DONT HIT ME BRO, IM LINDROSSING OVER HERE"

Lay off the hockey. When I got my concussions, they both felt like I had a splitting headache, more like a migraine. Made me nauseous, really sensitive to light, pretty wobbly on my feet. If I'm not mistaken, the doctor gave me some pain killers, told me to rest and lay off sports for a few weeks to a month. This was also back in high school (10 years ago) so I can't remember correctly.

All this is great advice, and nearly exactly what I've had doctors tell me.

The don't lie down and go to sleep thing is less about a concussion, and more about the chance that there is a bleed in the brain. This will kill you if you go to sleep. The test my doctor did to check for one was simple. He put his hands on my head and felt around, asking me if any where hurt. He's feeling for swelling, and you're looking for pain (obviously). If any localised part of the head truly hurts (not so much, ow, that stings a bit, more holy gently caress that's painful!), there's a chance that there's a bleed in there, and you need to get to a hospital to have the fluid drained immediately.

I realise none of this is likely useful to you now, but it could be useful to anyone else who gets concussed.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I suggest you watch this on repeat for a few hours, then report back here and tell us how you feel.

Gio fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 31, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Man, 3 breakaways last night and I got brick-walled on 2, and shot wide on the third :cry:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I just woke up and feeling a lot better.. Got slight headache and my neck is sore... but I think I might have gotten lucky..

The worst part is that I got called for a penalty during the play:smith:

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
So I have some good things to say about the MLX skates I bought last week. Have about 3 hours of skating time on them so far. They showed up at my house on Friday, and I blew off of work a couple hours early so I could get them ready. Baked them for the required 16 minutes (8 on each side), and laced them on so they could cool off and mold to my feet for 20 minutes or so. After pulling them out of the oven, they literally are like butter, but after molding they're harder than my old Reebok 8Ks. After cooling I took them to my LHS and got them profiled/sharpened and then it was off to my instructional league session.

Thoughts on these skates:

- Other reviews out there about the extreme comfort of these are not stretching the truth at all. They feel like a pair of snug winter snow boots.

- Ankle support, in my case, is exactly what I was looking for. More front-to-back flexibility, with better side-to-side support (no flopping ankles). No lacebite.

- The included insoles are actually pretty good. I briefuly took them out and replaced them with the Superfeet insoles from my old skates, but put the original ones back in and think I prefer them.

- These skates have a decidedly homebrew, handmade look to them, probably moreso in my case because I purchased the $100-discounted "factory 2nds" version, which means it has little cosmetic flaws which don't affect the performance. You can tell where glue was manually applied, where the material was cut, and that maybe the stitching isn't totally symmetrical. There isn't even the standard label under the tongue telling you what size they are in six different countries.

- The metal hardware on these looks like it's all stainless, so hopefully no rust.

- The ability to manipulate the angle of the blade is neat. I angled mine a little bit inwards and now all of a sudden I'm much better at taking corners. I imagine that if I'd angled them outward, I'd lose some of that but be able to push off from a standstill a bit quicker. A cool option to play around with.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

If you think you had a severe concussion, you might want to take it easy for a few days. It's possible that symptoms might not rise up for days or even weeks.

Just over a year ago I got caught in a small rock slide and was struck in the head by a ~200 pound boulder (ricochet thankfully otherwise I'd be dead). I dealt with concussion problems for over a year, including every symptom you can imagine. If it becomes a real issue for you over the next few weeks, PM me and I can let you know the things that made the biggest difference for me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thanks for the writeup on the MLXs, bytebark. The blade angling sounds pretty cool but I have no idea how I would even begin to tell what would work for me. I'm just kind of used to whatever angle my skates has and making that work.

I would take some shoe polish or a black sharpie or something to the white MLX stitching and make them completely brandless. That's the only thing I don't love about the otherwise great looking skate.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm thinking of getting a pair of jock shorts with those handy velcro tabs to hold my socks up.. is there any particular make that people around here like more than others?

I guess they're all going to more or less do the same job, so I guess I'm curious about durability more than anything.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I started with the $15 Itech one and it fell apart after 6 months or so. I now have a $30-35 Bauer and it's lasted a year and a half-ish.

e: This is the one I use:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-ug-core-compression-jock-short-sr.html

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I think mine are Itech, the yellow mesh ones with the velcro flappies that always stick to each other. They're about 5 years old and still work great; one time I had to have the jock strap portion sewn back onto the shorts part, and the velcro tabs are starting to fray around the edges on their connection with the shorts part, but after 5 years they've lasted perfectly fine for the minimal price.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

xzzy posted:

I'm thinking of getting a pair of jock shorts with those handy velcro tabs to hold my socks up.. is there any particular make that people around here like more than others?

I guess they're all going to more or less do the same job, so I guess I'm curious about durability more than anything.

This pretty much ends the world for me. I use these for roller and ice and they work perfectly for both. The only thing I am going to try to find different is a lightly padded version for roller. Girdles are too much but nothing isn't enough.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I have one of the "compression" shock doctor ones and they're great. Very comfortable, and just overall good quality. The yellow meshy itech ones are really lovely quality--the velcro eventually becomes useless even if the patches don't fall off altogether, and they're always sticking to other parts of the shorts. You get your monies worth with the compression shorts.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I mentioned this before, but I bought a pair of Warrior gloves earlier this year that are already fraying quite a bit--the thumb on one is exposed and palm on the other is fraying at the seams. Repalming them would cost too much money, I might as well buy better gloves, so...recommendations? Eagle seems to be pretty popular around here.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

sellouts posted:

Nice pick, get em sharpened and get skating

They've been baked and sharpened and everything. I keep looking over at them and going :3:

I won't have a chance to go out until friday at the earliest though!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gio posted:

I mentioned this before, but I bought a pair of Warrior gloves earlier this year that are already fraying quite a bit--the thumb on one is exposed and palm on the other is fraying at the seams. Repalming them would cost too much money, I might as well buy better gloves, so...recommendations? Eagle seems to be pretty popular around here.

I love my Eagles. Plus, you can get them in a rad colors.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
From an article on MLX skates:

"you can’t put it on from the front like other skates, you have to slip into it sideways."

I do not quite understand what this means. Those of you who have them, do you put them on any different than any other skate?

"What got Lemieux interested in the skate was the shoe-like fit and the fact that where he once went through as many as 15 or more pairs of skates in a season, he could put on the MLX skates and not worry about them for the entire winter."

How do you go through 15 pairs of skates in 82 games? That is a new pair every six games :iiam:
I don't care how strong of a skater or how big a guy is, new skates every six games is ridiculous if they are actually worn out in any way by then. Maybe his sponsor didn't like seeing scuffs on his skates during games.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/877855--cutting-edge-skate-gains-favour-with-nhlers

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

WouldDesk posted:

From an article on MLX skates:

"you can’t put it on from the front like other skates, you have to slip into it sideways."

I do not quite understand what this means. Those of you who have them, do you put them on any different than any other skate?

"What got Lemieux interested in the skate was the shoe-like fit and the fact that where he once went through as many as 15 or more pairs of skates in a season, he could put on the MLX skates and not worry about them for the entire winter."

How do you go through 15 pairs of skates in 82 games? That is a new pair every six games :iiam:
I don't care how strong of a skater or how big a guy is, new skates every six games is ridiculous if they are actually worn out in any way by then. Maybe his sponsor didn't like seeing scuffs on his skates during games.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/877855--cutting-edge-skate-gains-favour-with-nhlers

In this video Dennis Seidenberg says he gets new skates about every 10 games

http://youtu.be/ixjFwCRtegE

Pros probably see the same amount of ice in 2 weeks then we do during an entire beer league season.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pro players are nuts, that's about all there is to it.

Some of them will get their blades resharpened between periods.. I don't care how hard you skate, I can't imagine a blade going dull in less than 20 minutes of skating.

That said, I'd love to try an MLX skate someday, assuming they fit as well as everyone says.. I hate sizing skates and even after a month of searching I still feel like I compromised in picking the ones I have. I just need to get to a skill level where I can justify the price tag.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Verman posted:

This pretty much ends the world for me. I use these for roller and ice and they work perfectly for both. The only thing I am going to try to find different is a lightly padded version for roller. Girdles are too much but nothing isn't enough.

I don't think that's where the cup goes for most people. What is wrong with the anatomy of you and the guy who invented this?

e: I'm sorry, by the way.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If I could get my skates sharpened every period I'd do it too. Why? Because at some point the skate becomes less sharp. Why let it get there? Just do it if it's getting done for free automatically. Also depending on ice conditions I would probably change my radius as well. Then again, if I had access to free and instant skate sharpening I'd probably get FBV sharpening and be done with it.

But xzzy it sounds like you need to get to a pro shop that can handle true boot customization. Baking, punch outs, and stretching can really adjust a skate almost a half size or more. That combined with good insoles and proper sizing from the get go can have a skate fit pretty well no matter the level. You don't need 800 dollar total ones or 600 dollar MLXs to get a skate that doesn't feel compromised, unless you are unhappy with the actual materials the skate is made of and want to upgrade those at the higher price point. At least that's my belief unless you have a crazy foot, but even then proper sizing from the start + customization will fix most of this.

Also, gloves:
http://www.thehockeyshop.com/us/eagle-h34-senior-gloves.html

If these are still in stock somehow I'd jump on them. The pair I have own. They are pretty stained at this point between the moisture, sweat and some blood but they look like work gloves, which I think it pretty awesome.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I'm thinking about getting these.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/eagle-hockey-gloves-fusion-portofino.html

More than likely, anyways.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

But xzzy it sounds like you need to get to a pro shop that can handle true boot customization. Baking, punch outs, and stretching can really adjust a skate almost a half size or more. That combined with good insoles and proper sizing from the get go can have a skate fit pretty well no matter the level.

My shop does have equipment for punching and stretching, and I've tried it, but It hasn't really helped. I think it's more about finding someone who's an expert in feet and has the time to sit down with me and figure things out. The Eastons I bought last spring are the most comfortable skate I've ever had, but I still get issues.

It's not a sizing thing.. I don't think. It's a pressure thing. I get what I can only describe as lace bite in my little toe, and it gets much worse when I lace up tightly. Feels fine prior to skating, and once I start pushing hard the tendons on the top and bottom of the little toe catch on fire.. some of the most painful cramping I've ever felt.

It gets significantly better when I lace the toes loose, and crank down tight on the ankle laces.. I can get through 2 hours of skating with no pain, though it tends to flare up when I get into the locker room and take the skate off.

I've been to a podiatrist and he says everything looks fine.. so I got no clue. I've been learning to live with it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It looks like you've spent a lot of time on this, but I'd look at a few things.... Apologies if you've already tried these.

It sounds like it could be a few things: You could be over tightening the skates low. Check this video out and try to lace using that pattern and that tightness. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAokL8Wmb9M I bet you've already tried loosening it but it's a good video to watch about how to lace skates anyways. You might just be lacing the skates too tightly everywhere which can be a problem too.

Make sure that when you baked the skates you didn't crank down on the laces at all. I would assume that the punching out / stretching you've done to the skates has reversed this, but if you baked the skates when you were tightening the skates too tight, it could still be a problem with it being molded too tightly.

Also if you're using waxed laces try using normal ones so they can expand as needed when you skate.

How's the tongue on the skate? Is it worn down or compressed near where you are feeling pain? You might want to see if you can try a replacement tongue in that boot. If you are just trying tongues out you can superglue them in rather then sew it. This will save you money and time if you find out you don't like it.

Have you tried a few different insoles? Do you have high arches? People swear by the yellow superfeet insoles -- I've always been fine with the stock insoles in my skates but I've apparently also been skating with skates that were too big for me until recently, so roominess has never been a problem.

Lastly does this just happen in one foot? Are you in a D width skate currently? If the other foot is fine and it just happens in one foot, you might need a wider skate for the painful foot. This is where you get into custom skate orders and you'll have to meet with a local rep to get it sized correctly, which is $$$, but might be an option down the road.

But yeah, laces, tongue, insoles are the only things to adjust once you've gone the punch out and stretch route.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Robo-Pope posted:

I don't think that's where the cup goes for most people. What is wrong with the anatomy of you and the guy who invented this?

e: I'm sorry, by the way.

You're about right. I have those and the cup sits way too high. Plus the spandex on the bottom can pinch your berries. But hey, it protects my...pelvis wtf?

I probably wouldn't buy them again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've got EE width skates, yes to superfeet, yes to normal laces, and yes to both feet having pain.

The tongue looks to be in decent condition.. the skates are 7 months old so I wouldn't expect it to be worn out.

I'll review the lacing video later on.. thanks for the advice.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

xzzy posted:

My shop does have equipment for punching and stretching, and I've tried it, but It hasn't really helped. I think it's more about finding someone who's an expert in feet and has the time to sit down with me and figure things out. The Eastons I bought last spring are the most comfortable skate I've ever had, but I still get issues.

It's not a sizing thing.. I don't think. It's a pressure thing. I get what I can only describe as lace bite in my little toe, and it gets much worse when I lace up tightly. Feels fine prior to skating, and once I start pushing hard the tendons on the top and bottom of the little toe catch on fire.. some of the most painful cramping I've ever felt.

It gets significantly better when I lace the toes loose, and crank down tight on the ankle laces.. I can get through 2 hours of skating with no pain, though it tends to flare up when I get into the locker room and take the skate off.

I've been to a podiatrist and he says everything looks fine.. so I got no clue. I've been learning to live with it.

Foot issues loving blow. I've had plantar plantar fasciitis for years (although it's not as bad as it once was) and wear orthotics in most of my shoes. About two weeks after getting my first pair of skates I knew the original insoles weren't going to fly so I got some Superfeet ones, which improved things somewhat on that front.

But I also have wide feet, especially around the toes. Had the skates punched out around the ball joint of the big toe on either side, to accommodate for this, and it felt a little better ... for a while. Eventually I started getting big callouses on not only the ball joint for my big toes, but the ball joint for my little toes too! Essentially my feet were getting wider because of this, not good when your skates are already of the "E" width (as wide as they go) and punched out in that spot. I realized those skates needed to go when we were finishing up games and the only part of me that was really sore was my feet.

I'd love to be that guy who just "makes it work" with an old pair of CCM Tacks they found in the basement, but realized a while ago that it wasn't going to happen and I'd probably have to spend more on skates as a result.

(Also, on NHLers going through skates like mad: I think a lot of it has to do with the lining. They sweat a lot more than Joe Beerleague and all that sweat is going to eventually gently caress up the insides. Easier to replace than repair. And when they say a pair of skates only lasts 10 games, consider that there's probably 10-15 practices in there as well between the games.)

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
we're 0-4

we have a -16 goal differential

=/

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Alizee posted:

we're 0-4

we have a -16 goal differential

=/

1-4-2
12 GF, 31 GA
:smug:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

There's nothing more infuriating than to play your dick off and end up with a tie. So glad we do shootouts.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Thufir posted:

1-4-2
12 GF, 31 GA
:smug:

Haha, yeah shoulda added the GF, GA.

GF: 1
GA: 17

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Remember: Good things happen when you put the puck on net. :eng101:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

Remember: Good things happen when you put the puck on net. :eng101:

Truth, my only goal this season I threw the puck at the net from a terrible angle and it deflected off the goalie's stick and in over his shoulder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Thufir posted:

Truth, my only goal this season I threw the puck at the net from a terrible angle and it deflected off the goalie's stick and in over his shoulder.

My favorite is to wrap around the net, along the boards, and rather than passing it up the boards to the D man, or into the traffic heavy slot, I would quickly throw it at the net from where the goal line meets the boards.

The goalie is looking for the pass to the D or for the puck to end up in front of him, when you put it between him and the net, or bounce it off his feet, hes been caught off guard.

He's at relative ease because you are along the boards meaning that you aren't attempting a wrap around shot. The goalie thinks that you have now become less of a threat compared to the D man or the guy in the slot so his attention changes from you to the other 2 threats. I had at least 3-4 goals this season from a simple play like this. This isn't counting the goals that were done though the same set up but instead passing to the blue line or the slot.