Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Diplomaticus posted:

The Sheraton is the only 5-star hotel in the country. Horrendously overpriced but a good place to network.

Not sure if this was directed at me or mtree. I spend more time with my ethiopians than I do with ferengi. If Ethiopians didn't have the personality that they do, this post wouldn't be so much fun. They are incredibly hard-working, some of the nicest people I've ever met in any country, and even the uneducated ones have a worldly intelligence that I am continuously amazed by.

Blue Donkeys/Matatus/Minibuses are off-limits for safety reasons. I don't think Bajajs/tuk-tuks/auto-rickshaws are, but there's no way in hell you would ever get me in one of those deathtraps.

It was directed at mtree since he didn't seem familiar with the country, but glad to hear your two cents. And I could see where your coming from with the transportation. I can never get across to my friends back home how crazy and psychotic some of those drivers are, bobbing and weaving into traffic not actually paying attention to anyone else around them, their lips rimmed with qat, and I don't think I ever will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011

Shageletic posted:

It was directed at mtree since he didn't seem familiar with the country, but glad to hear your two cents. And I could see where your coming from with the transportation. I can never get across to my friends back home how crazy and psychotic some of those drivers are, bobbing and weaving into traffic not actually paying attention to anyone else around them, their lips rimmed with qat, and I don't think I ever will.

I was more so saying: I'm not moving anywhere yet. I gots to get selected first but I agree with what you said.

I also applied to the Shenyang Consulate but I have a hunch China is popular to apply to.

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier
Got scheduled for an OA in mid-November... I wonder how crappy the weather will get by then in DC...

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
November? It's not too bad barring a repeat of a snowpocalypse come early.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
The first real snowstorm of the snowpocalypse year didn't even happen until a week before Christmas. I doubt we'll get anything serious by mid-November. I guess places got hit pretty bad this weekend and they weren't THAT far, but mid November isn't usually that miserable.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
IIRC it snowed a little dusting in Feb. that year.

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011
November isn't too bad here in DC. We don't usually get much snow even during the winter. Snowpocalypse was like a once in a lifetime event.

At least you weren't coming here in July... when it was 100+ for two weeks straight.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

mtreecorner posted:

November isn't too bad here in DC. We don't usually get much snow even during the winter. Snowpocalypse was like a once in a lifetime event.

At least you weren't coming here in July... when it was 100+ for two weeks straight.

gently caress that was brutal...

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Whee, about three weeks of leave started an hour ago! I'll be in DC for a couple days, 14th-18th, if we want to have a DC goon meetup.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Also BoF, after a three hour long lunch with the Japanese Ambassador, (and it was at the CMR so I didn't even get sushi out of it!) I don't envy you nearly as much.

But still kind of a lot.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
The cream of the Japanese diplomatic corps does not wind up in Africa.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Diplomaticus posted:

Also BoF, after a three hour long lunch with the Japanese Ambassador, (and it was at the CMR so I didn't even get sushi out of it!) I don't envy you nearly as much.

But still kind of a lot.

Which area of Africa are you in?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Right now? Not at all. Normally? It's in the OP near the top.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
I guess my entry in the OP should be updated. IMS/IMTS-R (dual skill code) in The Hague.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Vilerat posted:

I guess my entry in the OP should be updated. IMS/IMTS-R (dual skill code) in The Hague.

Now an IMS in Brasil

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Updated. Which post TCD?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Diplomaticus posted:

Right now? Not at all. Normally? It's in the OP near the top.

Ethiopia?! Cool! I might be going back there next summer, so if you're still there, we can try to make a Horn of Africa Goon-meet (the coolest goon-meet).

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Diplomaticus posted:

Updated. Which post TCD?

Embassy :)

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Shageletic posted:

Ethiopia?! Cool! I might be going back there next summer, so if you're still there, we can try to make a Horn of Africa Goon-meet (the coolest goon-meet).

Already had a goon meet in the "Heart of Africa".

We may or may not have talked about goonfleet.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

TCD posted:

Already had a goon meet in the "Heart of Africa".

We may or may not have talked about goonfleet.

Getting DSL at post finally. I might be able to actually resub and go back to goonfleet.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Well, I tried to get a haircut unsuccessfully near the apt, but I was able to schedule one on Monday, all in Portuguese. Stopped off on the way home for some draft beer and chicken parmigiana.

Huckleduck
May 20, 2007
giving you the hucklebuck
What's this about language testing being delayed to post-OA? That could be very helpful for me.

Passed the FSOT; putting my time into PNs now.

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011
Internship application in. Time to forget about it.

Anyone else out there apply?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

mtreecorner posted:

This is just what I came to the thread to post about! I'm finishing up my interest statement right now. What bureaus did you pick? I went with East Asian and INR.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

themrguy posted:

This is just what I came to the thread to post about! I'm finishing up my interest statement right now. What bureaus did you pick? I went with East Asian and INR.

Both are great bureaus.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

I put in for C/RS (forget where the slash goes in it) and INL. The former offers paid internships. Also got my PNQs to finish. LOL

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I put in for C/RS (forget where the slash goes in it) and INL. The former offers paid internships. Also got my PNQs to finish. LOL

You're probably thinking of S/CRS.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Secretary Clinton is on the Nov. 7 issue of Time. It's an interesting article.

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier

mtreecorner posted:

Are there any non-student internships?

fautdemieux
Jan 12, 2006
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.
Are there any goons that have either been posted to Beijing, or know goons that are currently based here? I'm here in the service of a small European state, and though I have a fair number of Chinese and European friends and colleagues, it'd be nice to expand that circle to include North America.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Business of Ferrets posted:

You're probably thinking of S/CRS.

Yeah. I had a 2.5 hour class on it and GPOI last night so my brain was super fried. Also I was told it's becoming a bureau.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

fautdemieux posted:

Are there any goons that have either been posted to Beijing, or know goons that are currently based here? I'm here in the service of a small European state, and though I have a fair number of Chinese and European friends and colleagues, it'd be nice to expand that circle to include North America.

My boss was there. I think our China goons are in Chengdu though.

1of7
Jan 30, 2011
Chengdu here. Loving it.

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011

themrguy posted:

East Asian and Africa. I selected China and Ethiopia respectively... though you can get offered a spot in any country in those bureaus.

I hope my interest statement wasn't total crap.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Was wondering if anyone could shed some light on why diplomats from most any country are expected to move every 2 or so years?

I can see drawbacks and advantages to both kinds of systems, but if nothing else for convenience it seems like it would be easier for diplomats to stay put. What am I missing?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

hitension posted:

Was wondering if anyone could shed some light on why diplomats from most any country are expected to move every 2 or so years?

I can see drawbacks and advantages to both kinds of systems, but if nothing else for convenience it seems like it would be easier for diplomats to stay put. What am I missing?

It means that if you're in a bad place you'll eventually move on, and if you're in a nice place you'll eventually have to leave to make a space for someone else.

Also, from a career perspective, it helps to demonstrate sustained good performance in a variety of jobs and environments.

The security folks like it because there is less chance you will "go native" (mostly a myth, in any case).

Also, we all pretty much have career ADD and the moves probably prevent (more) murder-suicides from taking place.

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011

hitension posted:

The offical line from what I read before was that it prevents you from developing relationships detrimental to the U.S. So you basically stay american by not staying in one place.

If you ever read beyond culture by E.T. Hall... he argues that the FS moving people around is crazy becuase some cultures require diplomats to build strong long term relationships.

Really take your pick...

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
My hat(s) are in the ring for both SCEP and DoS Summer 2012. Been banging on the DoS internship door for a year or two now and I managed to land a clerical summer hire with the US Embassy in Bahrain back in 2009, but little luck since then.

Anybody have any advice about either the East Asian Affairs Bureau or Pol/Mil internships? My only real experience with E. Asia would be six years of living in various locales (mainly Okinawa and Bahrain), nothing solid or vocational-related though unless it's in Japan; I know a fair amount about that. When I worked with the OMC in Manama in '09 I got a crash course on how Pol/Mil ran but I wasn't able to hang around them as much as I wanted.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

mtreecorner posted:

The offical line from what I read before was that it prevents you from developing relationships detrimental to the U.S. So you basically stay american by not staying in one place.

If you ever read beyond culture by E.T. Hall... he argues that the FS moving people around is crazy becuase some cultures require diplomats to build strong long term relationships.

Really take your pick...
Other countries do the same as us, but can stay longer. Like 5-10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
Hey all. I read the last couple of pages of this thread, but I haven't seen this question directly addressed:

What's up with this announcement that language testing will only happen AFTER the oral? According to the State site, there is now no such things as a critical or super critical needs language. I now know Russian after a year and a half in the Peace Corps, are you telling me that no longer matters?!

On the flipside, does that mean that I could theoretically just jettison the Russky and pick a new language if (hypothetically) I can pass the FSOT and the Oral after my Master's degree?