Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thoguh posted:

The first time I put on a double weave Gi I felt like I was wearing a suit of armor.

my other was already double weave I think, but this is just another world lol. It's also loving heavy, like 4 pounds heavy and yeah like you said suit of armor. Thing is stiff, I don't think anyone will be able to grab the fabric on my back, it's basically like trying to grab a flat piece of plywood. When I hang dried it, I pulled the sleeves to the sides and it stayed in that "cross" shape by itself when I let go.

Also in the legs, my old gi had the knee reinforced. On this one it's reinforced from the mid thigh to ankle and the fabric is quite a bit thicker.

I could probably be slashed with a sword and come out uninjured with this thing on

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Kumo Jr. posted:

The avatar didn't catch my attention. This part of your posting did. Step 1 towards better health and diet is to give up the Coke.

Whoa really? No way!

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I do not know what to think about this but i thought i'd share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0l79qiSoRc

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Ligur posted:

:E

Hahaha wow thats brilliant.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Illegal Username posted:

I want to chicken grapple right now.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
So, I don't know if this has been asked before, but a cursory search brought up nothing.

Is anyone here at all knowledgeable in Bartitsu, and whether it's applicable to learn at all nowadays? (For reference, I'm in the UK.)

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

It sounds hilarious and awesome, I'd do it if I could

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Isn't that the poo poo sherlock homes used?

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

niethan posted:

Isn't that the poo poo sherlock homes used?

It is. It sounds ridiculous and hilarious as said above. Kind of want to look into it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Luquos posted:

So, I don't know if this has been asked before, but a cursory search brought up nothing.

Is anyone here at all knowledgeable in Bartitsu, and whether it's applicable to learn at all nowadays? (For reference, I'm in the UK.)

Literally the first hit on a Google search is Wikipedia saying 'Baritsu is a fictional martial art from the Sherlock Holmes movie'

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

Thoguh posted:

Literally the first hit on a Google search is Wikipedia saying 'Baritsu is a fictional martial art from the Sherlock Holmes movie'

That would be the difference between Baritsu and Bartitsu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartitsu

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Well, neo-Baritsu as choreographed in the new movie is made up (for the movie). But the original Bartitsu predated the Holmes fiction that referenced it.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Illegal Username posted:

That was good for a laugh, but I was a little disappointed that nobody in the video actually had the 'dougie' dance move right. It's all about the comb back over the ear (as popularized by Doug E. Fresh).

I gotta admit I loved the fishing line dance though.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

Well, neo-Baritsu as choreographed in the new movie is made up (for the movie). But the original Bartitsu predated the Holmes fiction that referenced it.

I take it back. Wanna learn this.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

IIRC it's literally just a mixture of primitive Judo (the ground game hadn't been really developed), Boxing and some singlestick techniques. If you know Judo you just need to pick up boxing and find someone to practice hitting with a stick and you've got it.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Why on earth is the moustache pic in the middle of that collage? I do want one of those hats though.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Nierbo posted:

Why on earth is the moustache pic in the middle of that collage? I do want one of those hats though.

Because mustaches are manly as gently caress. Judo with sticks? Hell yea, I barely fight on the ground anyways!

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Nierbo posted:

If I had that mustache I'd put it in the center too.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Maybe instead of the right to wear a black belt you earned the right to read a handlebar mustache.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Turns out I have some minor tendon damage in my ankle, dumb. It'll heal.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Not strictly Baritsu, but if that interests you, you're going to loving love this book.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46637085/Jiu_Jitsu_and_Other_Methods_of_Self_Defense-Percy_Longhurst-1906.pdf

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Not strictly Baritsu, but if that interests you, you're going to loving love this book.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46637085/Jiu_Jitsu_and_Other_Methods_of_Self_Defense-Percy_Longhurst-1906.pdf

Does it include a section on mustache care and maintenance?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
And what was this "Bartitsu"?

quote:

As explained on the stage every night by (Bartitsu's) introducer, there is a secret method of wrestling known, and very covertly practiced, in Japan, and that is called jujitsu - the word "jitsu", freely translated, meaning "to a finish".

The "Bar" comes in - as part of the name of Mr. E. W. Barton-Wright, who has invented this scientific self-defense, adapting endless points from schools of wrestling in nearly every part of the world; adapting also the peculiar Japanese art which was permitted to be shown him, as the rarest favour, in Japan; plus a something - I am sorry not to be more definite, but it is so comprehensive and so complicated, that I am bound to call it a "something" - inherent to the mind and personality of Barton-Wright, the man himself.
- "The Bartitsu Club" Health and Strength Magazine, January, 1901

From The Forgotten Golden Age of Mixed Martial Arts, a huge and plenty interesting and from what I can tell well researched FanPost found from Bloody Elbow.

The many, many references to Savate of course particularly caught my eye, as did following statements:

quote:

Over the last century savate had proven to be an incredibly adaptive and inclusive system, having integrated with a multitude of disciplines to become a very thorough fighting system. So when Edward Barton-Wright began publicizing the equally adaptive and inclusive jujutsu to the peoples of Europe, a few men instantly recognized the potential to be had by coalescing the two. The result would eventually become the most developed hybrid fighting system of its era, Défense Dans la Rue or Defense in the Streets

Some consider Savate Defensé - or Boxe de Rue - a modern descendant of the old hybrid dans la Rue which combined Boxing, Savate, Le Canne, Bartitsu etc. I've known people who for the modern aspect use the terms interchangeably.

The post is basically a huge compendium of turn of the 20th century and often much forgotten Western martial arts systems and how they co-evolved and influenced each other, until the World Wars almost snuffed the arts out including defense dans la Rue and Savate in almost it's every form.

Just... do yourself a favour, brew a cup of tea or crack a cold one, take a comfortable position and read it. Edit: not only is it a much more detailed article than the Wikipedia version about Bartitsu itself, you can get a glimpse of the French 19th century street crime scene, read about the Apaches and their weapons and much more.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 1, 2011

TheVigilante
Jan 23, 2005

when you gamble with the world's greatest manhunter...you bet your life!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The guy who wrote this book was actually a student at the Bartitsu Club.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
My nickname at the BJJ club is El Barto, because I seamlessly combine the best elements of Bart-titsu with modern fighting styles, its a fusion.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This leads from a discussion in the UFC thread about Pat Barry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQhVNyjfOb0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
A highlight reel from his early gym, a Shaolin martial arts place. The main instructor there is a lineal Shaolin monk:
http://www.shaolinlegacy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4:master-shawn-liu-shi-deru&catid=4:performers&Itemid=5

So who cares if what he teaches for combat sports is nothing like Shaolin performance styles -- I'm glad at least anyone from traditional CMA is producing any sort of results. I don't think I had any sort of argument here, but there you have it.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

So who cares if what he teaches for combat sports is nothing like Shaolin performance styles -- I'm glad at least anyone from traditional CMA is producing any sort of results. I don't think I had any sort of argument here, but there you have it.

Chinese Martial Arts aren't that poorly represented. Sanshou is basically the practical aspects of a bunch of CMAs and it's reasonably well represented in the UFC.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

NovemberMike posted:

Chinese Martial Arts aren't that poorly represented. Sanshou is basically the practical aspects of a bunch of CMAs and it's reasonably well represented in the UFC.

Eh, by Cung Le foremost, and then Pat Barry and Johnson peripherally. Sanshou is a ruleset that cans showcase things from CMAs, yes, but it's more or less a sport. A lot of -stan countries and places in the middle east put out good Sanshou fighters, and obviously they train just the sport. I don't think a Shaolin monk would be able to meld his traditional training into Sanshou tactics, but if he did, that would be really cool.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
So I'm taking this introductory MMA class. Thing is, my teacher is really good at cool stuff like unexpected escapes, incredible reversals and unusual solutions to problems, but he isn't really good at teaching the basics. I want some resources to know I'm not overlooking any holes in my training. Is there a good, unified resource for beginner fundamentals I can look at or is the only real good way to find separate fundamentals from each "style"?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Cyphoderus posted:

So I'm taking this introductory MMA class. Thing is, my teacher is really good at cool stuff like unexpected escapes, incredible reversals and unusual solutions to problems, but he isn't really good at teaching the basics. I want some resources to know I'm not overlooking any holes in my training. Is there a good, unified resource for beginner fundamentals I can look at or is the only real good way to find separate fundamentals from each "style"?

Are you looking for grappling or striking help?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

The thing about grappling is that the basics are more about being comfortable shoving people around than a set of techniques. At some point you'll need to know how to defend against a single, double, do some reversals etc but all of that stuff needs a context to put it into. You're going to feel lost for awhile no matter what so unless he's neglecting to teach you basic takedowns, takedown defense and positional wrestling from the guard, side control, mount etc I wouldn't worry too much.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Luquos posted:

I've taken a few of James Marwood's workshops, if nothing else they were fun as all hell. Had a bit of a focus on weird self-defense applications, tossing your wallet in a dude's face and then beating him to death with an umbrella, stuff like that. Can't imagine it's too applicable nowadays unless you regularly carry a walking stick/umbrella with you, but it's definitely interesting/amusing stuff.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Cyphoderus posted:

that's kind of the problem with taking a straight up MMa class; you have nothing to ' mix' together to form your own mixed martial art. In that one/two hour a week, the coach is supposed to teach you boxing, wrestling and submissions and escapes. That's just too much to focus on, and often you get some boxing instruction... and then you go grapple with gloves on without strikes because no one knows stuff on the ground.

Take up Judo/Boxing in addition to mma so you have something to mix.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Syphilis Fish posted:

That's just too much to focus on, and often you get some boxing instruction... and then you go grapple with gloves on without strikes because no one knows stuff on the ground.

You have so much stuff to learn it's insane, so I'm eager to see how soon teaching simply "MMA" becomes more common. IMO MMA being another combat sport like any other by now.

All the boxing, wrestling and judo etc. give you a good base to build, of course, and it's awesome if you have that, on but what if people started training for MMA when they start training to begin with. I know there already are schools for that but where I live it's hard to find, suspect in general it's the same everywhere.

Joe Lauzon comes to mind as someone who's just trained in "MMA" to begin with. For the twig and nerd he is, good results.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Eh, by Cung Le foremost, and then Pat Barry and Johnson peripherally. Sanshou is a ruleset that cans showcase things from CMAs, yes, but it's more or less a sport. A lot of -stan countries and places in the middle east put out good Sanshou fighters, and obviously they train just the sport. I don't think a Shaolin monk would be able to meld his traditional training into Sanshou tactics, but if he did, that would be really cool.

I don't really care for the man anymore but my old Sifu was an old school monk who blended sanshou with traditional teachings. You gained a lot of benefit from practicing in both programs. Our head kickboxing instructor was a Sanshou world champion from Egypt, I guess I never really connected the Middle East/North Africa connection with the sport.

Tonight I'm going to go do a try out class at an MMA school I've been eying. Hopefully it's what I'm looking for, everything looks good so far. Link to their website.
http://portcitymma.com/

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

Ligur posted:

And what was this "Bartitsu"?

From The Forgotten Golden Age of Mixed Martial Arts, a huge and plenty interesting and from what I can tell well researched FanPost found from Bloody Elbow.

The many, many references to Savate of course particularly caught my eye, as did following statements:

Some consider Savate Defensé - or Boxe de Rue - a modern descendant of the old hybrid dans la Rue which combined Boxing, Savate, Le Canne, Bartitsu etc. I've known people who for the modern aspect use the terms interchangeably.

The post is basically a huge compendium of turn of the 20th century and often much forgotten Western martial arts systems and how they co-evolved and influenced each other, until the World Wars almost snuffed the arts out including defense dans la Rue and Savate in almost it's every form.

Just... do yourself a favour, brew a cup of tea or crack a cold one, take a comfortable position and read it. Edit: not only is it a much more detailed article than the Wikipedia version about Bartitsu itself, you can get a glimpse of the French 19th century street crime scene, read about the Apaches and their weapons and much more.

Ok, this is wonderful. Gonna take the time to read this through as soon as I have it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ligur posted:

You have so much stuff to learn it's insane, so I'm eager to see how soon teaching simply "MMA" becomes more common. IMO MMA being another combat sport like any other by now.

All the boxing, wrestling and judo etc. give you a good base to build, of course, and it's awesome if you have that, on but what if people started training for MMA when they start training to begin with. I know there already are schools for that but where I live it's hard to find, suspect in general it's the same everywhere.

Joe Lauzon comes to mind as someone who's just trained in "MMA" to begin with. For the twig and nerd he is, good results.

Trying to teach MMA from scratch to guys who aren't training like 5-6 a days a week would make it insanely tough to come up with a curriculum. Hell, as a Judo instructor I have enough trouble making sure I have a good split between standing and matwork. Adding in everything else would be very tough.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Syphilis Fish posted:

that's kind of the problem with taking a straight up MMa class; you have nothing to ' mix' together to form your own mixed martial art. In that one/two hour a week, the coach is supposed to teach you boxing, wrestling and submissions and escapes. That's just too much to focus on, and often you get some boxing instruction... and then you go grapple with gloves on without strikes because no one knows stuff on the ground.

Take up Judo/Boxing in addition to mma so you have something to mix.

That's why it's an introductory class. The teacher has no pretension of turning us into mixed martial artists. We mainly do kickboxing drills and miscellaneous ground techniques each class. Last one we did some Greco-Roman wrestling basic throws.

I have no intention of "learning MMA" for real. This is a class I'm taking to complement my capoeira; I want something contact-heavy to round out my skill set and improve my combat mentality. Maybe I'm paranoid and there's not much else you can do with two hours a week, but it sort of bothers me that I've learned the basic strikes and groundwork from improvising.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 2, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ligur posted:

I think he started in BJJ for quite a while, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

Maybe I'm paranoid and there's not much else you can do with two hours a week, but it sort of bothers me that I've learned the basic strikes and groundwork from improvising.

It honestly sounds like he's doing fine. If it's just two hours a week the most he can really do is give you an idea of how the fights go and give you a few tools in each area. He can also help you identify areas that you need more training in (probably everything).

• Locked thread