Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Crankit posted:

Slightly similar to the News Quiz, except it's not panel based, is the Now Show, which is Punt & Dennis looking at current events, it's not on at the moment I think it's a seasonal show. I've never really understood UK TV/Radio schedules.

Now Show is super awesome, though it's not really similar to News Quiz or HIGNFY beyond making comedy out of current events. The current evants shows on radio 4 are the only reason I tune in occasionally, everything else is incredibly niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Ooh, the DCMS are proposing that using catch up iPlayer* will require a licence fee; not just streaming like you do now.
I predict this will have zero effect on whether anyone bothers to buy a licence or not.

* other internet TV catch up services are available

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

Now Show is super awesome, though it's not really similar to News Quiz or HIGNFY beyond making comedy out of current events. The current evants shows on radio 4 are the only reason I tune in occasionally, everything else is incredibly niche.

I dunno, there's something quite endearing about all the niche shows on Radio 4. I find the fact that you never quite know what you're going to get is rather nice. It could be a documentary on Lacemaking Throughout the Ages, it could be an episode of the Archers, it could be 30 minutes about the role of Peruvian goat herders in the fight against global warming.

Okay, the programme that's on right now might not be to your taste, but in a minute they'll be putting on something totally different! The eclectic (and slightly haphazard) nature of the programming is the stations' greatest asset, in my opinion.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If we're having BBC Radio chat, could we do it in this sadly neglected thread?
Will Young on Buzzcocks is the nicest, dullest man to ever grace a quiz show.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Irisi posted:

I dunno, there's something quite endearing about all the niche shows on Radio 4. I find the fact that you never quite know what you're going to get is rather nice. It could be a documentary on Lacemaking Throughout the Ages, it could be an episode of the Archers, it could be 30 minutes about the role of Peruvian goat herders in the fight against global warming.

Okay, the programme that's on right now might not be to your taste, but in a minute they'll be putting on something totally different! The eclectic (and slightly haphazard) nature of the programming is the stations' greatest asset, in my opinion.

Even as a guy, Women's Hour is surprisingly interesting.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Top Boy was pretty good, made me cringe with the garden shears though.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Irisi posted:

It's incredibly endearing and I love it just because you wouldn't get shows like that anywhere else. I just wouldn't tune in specifically to listen to them like I do with the now show, news quiz etc. I keep it on in the background a lot though because occasionally you'll sit down and get engrossed in the program, coming out a little more cultured than when you went in.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Well that simple question spurred some conversation. :) Thanks for the suggestions. I've checked out most of the shows that were suggested. I'm not quite sure I like Shooting Stars yet. I like the tall moronic score keeper but the one host (Vic?) weirds me out and not in a good way.

I don't think I'll be able to check out radio panel shows because I wouldn't know where to start looking other than on youtube or something.

Thanks again everyone.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

AFAIK the iPlayer doesn't put a region lock on radio programmes, so you're cool for those.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

SymfonyMan posted:

I like the tall moronic score keeper but the one host (Vic?) weirds me out and not in a good way.

Thats pretty much the point, I think my favourite moment last series was John Humphreys (national treasure) corpsing at Vics terrifying painting of him.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Junkenstein posted:

Of course there were panel shows before, but They think it's all over's popularity directly lead to someone saying "hey, why don't we do the same thing, BUT WITH MUSIC?", and from there on in it was just any excuse to get a bunch of comedians and celebrities together.

People forget how popular They Think It's All Over was. From the late-90s to early-2000s it used to get around 10m viewers, and was always among the top 10 most watched TV programmes of the week. There wouldn't be as many comedy panel shows if it wasn't for the programme's success.

For about four years it was very, very funny, but then Gary Lineker and David Gower left. :(

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

Fatty posted:

Thats pretty much the point, I think my favourite moment last series was John Humphreys (national treasure) corpsing at Vics terrifying painting of him.

second clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRSySmxiSmY&feature=related

Fuckin love shooting stars

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I've seen the "Peanuts" song from Shooting Stars probably a dozen times (which is a lot, when you think about) and I have never not laughed once. Shooting Stars doesn't always hit the mark perfectly but when it does there's really nothing else like it on TV.

ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011

Hoops posted:

I've seen the "Peanuts" song from Shooting Stars probably a dozen times (which is a lot, when you think about) and I have never not laughed once. Shooting Stars doesn't always hit the mark perfectly but when it does there's really nothing else like it on TV.

I think I know what you mean. Sometimes you think "This is too immature." but then it somehow reaches that immature part of you. It tickles you, like that Peanuts song, and you just lose it. The Peanuts song always has me in hysterics when I watch it.

Changing the subject. Is anyone watching Hollyoaks? Silas! You glorious, elegant killer you. Sad news about another character thought, I hope this isn't a spoiler, but in case it is I shall put it in tags Jamie Lomas who plays Warren Fox has already filmed his last scenes, so we will soon see the last of his character.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

ShortLeroy posted:

I think I know what you mean. Sometimes you think "This is too immature." but then it somehow reaches that immature part of you. It tickles you, like that Peanuts song, and you just lose it. The Peanuts song always has me in hysterics when I watch it.

Changing the subject. Is anyone watching Hollyoaks? Silas! You glorious, elegant killer you. Sad news about another character thought, I hope this isn't a spoiler, but in case it is I shall put it in tags Jamie Lomas who plays Warren Fox has already filmed his last scenes, so we will soon see the last of his character.

that character has literally already died once and been brought back from the dead

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Oh god Vangelis, I forgot about Vangelis.

ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

that character has literally already died once and been brought back from the dead

And what an amazing revival it was. I won't have a word said against that storyline.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Cerv posted:

Ooh, the DCMS are proposing that using catch up iPlayer* will require a licence fee; not just streaming like you do now.
I predict this will have zero effect on whether anyone bothers to buy a licence or not.

* other internet TV catch up services are available

I've no idea how they could even enforce that. (I guess they can't really enforce the watching live thing now so they're not really losing anything and might guilt trip a few more people into paying for a licence.)

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

ShortLeroy posted:

And what an amazing revival it was. I won't have a word said against that storyline.

it wasn't bad actually now that I remember it, compared to average Hollyoaks standard it was positively brilliant

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
IT Crowd has reverted from 'new series' to 'one off special' next year.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Derek Agony posted:

I've no idea how they could even enforce that. (I guess they can't really enforce the watching live thing now so they're not really losing anything and might guilt trip a few more people into paying for a licence.)

I suppose they could make you link your license to a given account or IP or something? The combination of some deal with ISPs where you have to apply for a license for your home connection and the death of broadcast TV could make TV licenses much more enforceable than they've ever been - though they'd have to take into account exceptions for mobile devices and things.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

SeanBeansShako posted:

IT Crowd has reverted from 'new series' to 'one off special' next year.

Yeah but when will there be new Peep Show?

When?!?!?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Derek Agony posted:

Couldn't they just make the Iplayer a sign-up service, and you get your username/password on your TV license renewal? And let non-UK people/expats pay for Iplayer membership?

I miss the BBC since I moved to Canada. :smith:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

The current system is an honesty box encouraged with scary letters. Compliance is pretty drat high so there's no need to change as long as it stays.
Adding a sign up and log in or other hoops to jump through would just push people away from using the service.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Second season of Him & Her starts in just over an hour on BBC3. Haven't seen S1? Doubt it matters, treat yourself.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Top Boy was pretty good, made me cringe with the garden shears though.

Same.

I didn't like how they drove over Tower Bridge from Southwark to the City when they were supposed to be coming from East London.

I appreciate this is a very niche London based concern.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

incredible bear posted:

Second season of Him & Her starts in just over an hour on BBC3. Haven't seen S1? Doubt it matters, treat yourself.

I really hope they've stopped the whole cheese eating motif, it was loving disgusting.

(probably another niche concern here)

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Metrication posted:

I didn't like how they drove over Tower Bridge from Southwark to the City when they were supposed to be coming from East London.

I appreciate this is a very niche London based concern.
But you'd do that if you were coming from Shoreditch or Bethnal Green, go down Bishopsgate. (also London based concern)

I hope you all saw the camera op fall on their arse walking backwards on the start of Later Live with Jools Holland just then. If not, iplayer that poo poo it's funny.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

I don't know if there's a Really+1 channel, but if there is, then I'd strongly suggest people go it now and watch I Believe In Ghosts, the brilliant paranormal investigation show in which Joe Swash tries to outdo the Ghostbusters. That's the third time I've seen it, and it never stops being entertaining.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

But you'd do that if you were coming from Shoreditch or Bethnal Green, go down Bishopsgate. (also London based concern)

Really? I don't drive so I wouldn't really know but logically it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Cerv posted:

The current system is an honesty box encouraged with scary letters. Compliance is pretty drat high so there's no need to change as long as it stays.

As it stands you only need a license to watch the live broadcast, leaving absolutely everything free. You'd have to be proper spiteful to disobey.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I had to pay my TV license today. It made me feel like I was donating to a good cause :)

Also, from Twitter; “@charltonbrooker: In other news, 2011Wipe construction has commenced.”

And 10 o'clock Live has been recommissioned but with a running time of only 45 minutes instead of an hour. And still with Jimmy Carr :argh:

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

but with a running time of only 45 minutes instead of an hour.
This is either brilliant news or terrible news. I'm guessing the latter.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

ChuckDHead posted:

I don't know if there's a Really+1 channel, but if there is, then I'd strongly suggest people go it now and watch I Believe In Ghosts, the brilliant paranormal investigation show in which Joe Swash tries to outdo the Ghostbusters. That's the third time I've seen it, and it never stops being entertaining.

I want to hate Joe Swash, but I can't do it. There's something bumbling about him, kind of like Frank Spencer, that makes me want to root for him.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

incredible bear posted:

This is either brilliant news or terrible news. I'm guessing the latter.

I read that they're rejigging the format slightly and probably not having every segment every week. It will be interesting to see how this changes the rhythm of the show.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I want to hate Joe Swash, but I can't do it. There's something bumbling about him, kind of like Frank Spencer, that makes me want to root for him.

Oh, I agree completely, and the Frank Spencer comparison is an utterly brilliant point that I hadn't noticed before. The only way I Believe In Ghosts could have been better is if it somehow featured Joe in a hilarious rollerskating misadventure.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 2, 2011

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Also, from Twitter; “@charltonbrooker: In other news, 2011Wipe construction has commenced.”

And 10 o'clock Live has been recommissioned but with a running time of only 45 minutes instead of an hour. And still with Jimmy Carr :argh:

Excellent news all round, aside from Jimmy Carr. Gah.

I just want to see "Mitchell and Brooker's Piss Take on the Week" aka their guardian columns made into a factual news-based show.

Maybe with Chris Morris :allears:

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Top boy reminds me a bit of breaking bad only in the fact that the cinematography is so great, it looks better than a lot of films. Enjoying it so far, the pliers scene made me wince, glad the characters are well thought out and different rather than identikit thugs on the street.

Decent acting from asher D of so solid fame too.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I'm watching Buzzcocks on iPlayer, did anyone else notice a barely audible, high-pitched noise that's over the top of it. It stops when I pause it so it's definitely the iPlayer download. It's driving me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Since I'm a slave to detective shows I'm catching up on Case Histories and I have a few thoughts -

1) The first episode had way too many tonally jarring music cues. Subsequent episodes have backed off a bit.

2) Good acting and fairly sharp writing (I like that I can't pick out the culprits straight away) but can you have a female character who isn't an emotional wreck desperate to bone the lead? C'mon.

3) English Gary Busey! Yes! (that's Phil Davis btw)