Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mahstah posted:

Property question for Alaska.

My parents the land on which they live, worth roughly $60k and completely paid for. Otherwise they very poor with little to no assets. My stepfather has had some pretty serious medical issues in the past and more than likely will have even worse ones in the future. My mother is worried about medical debt getting to the point that she loses her home. She raised the idea of selling ($1) or gifting me the land, so that it is no longer an asset in their names.

I don't want to get myself or them in trouble and am planning on talking to a lawyer but I thought asking here may be a good first step. Is this legal? If it is, should I buy the land from them or is gifting it the way to go? I am also slightly worried about a $60k gift going onto my taxes, that seems like it might hurt come tax season.

First off, do not worry about the tax issue - your parents would owe gift tax, but they are allowed to give away up to $5 million before the gift tax kicks in. You won't pay income on the gift.

If you buy the land for $1, that is still going to be treated as a gift of the majority of the land, since the purchase price doesn't match the value of the land.

OK, now here's the bad news: what you are suggesting, where your parents transfer the land to you to get it out of the reach of creditors, is called a fraudulent conveyance, and that's illegal and won't work. Alaska Code section 34.40.010 and the following sections are the law that prohibit this. So go ahead and put that idea to rest.

However, your parents are entitled to something called a "homestead exemption", which means that they can protect their principal residence from the claims of creditors, for value up to $54,000. See http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/Statutes/Title09/Chapter38/Section010.htm

I think your parents have the following options:

1. You buy their land for a fair price, so that it is a bona fide purchase. This takes the property outside the reach of creditors, but you have to put up the money to buy the land. I am not entirely sure that this will avoid the fraudulent conveyance issue, but I suspect that it might.

2. They sell the land and use the proceeds to buy a new home that is worth less than the homestead exemption, so that their new home can't be taken by creditors.

What your mom originally suggested is not going to work.

If you guys can afford it, you should talk to a consumer rights' attorney who does a lot of work protecting debtors from creditors, and see what options that attorney has for you. It's possible that the homestead exemption has been increased - I don't know if that link above is current - but I wouldn't hope for that.

entris fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

entris posted:

First off, do not worry about the tax issue - your parents would owe gift tax, but they are allowed to give away up to $5 million before the gift tax kicks in. You won't pay income on the gift.

If you buy the land for $1, that is still going to be treated as a gift of the majority of the land, since the purchase price doesn't match the value of the land.

OK, now here's the bad news: what you are suggesting, where your parents transfer the land to you to get it out of the reach of creditors, is called a fraudulent conveyance, and that's illegal and won't work. Alaska Code section 34.40.010 and the following sections are the law that prohibit this. So go ahead and put that idea to rest.

However, your parents are entitled to something called a "homestead exemption", which means that they can protect their principal residence from the claims of creditors, for value up to $54,000. See http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/Statutes/Title09/Chapter38/Section010.htm

1. You buy their land for a fair price, so that it is a bona fide purchase. This takes the property outside the reach of creditors, but you have to put up the money to buy the land. I am not entirely sure that this will avoid the fraudulent conveyance issue, but I suspect that it might.

2. They sell the land and use the proceeds to buy a new home that is worth less than the homestead exemption, so that their new home can't be taken by creditors.

What your mom originally suggested is not going to work.

If you guys can afford it, you should talk to a consumer rights' attorney who does a lot of work protecting debtors from creditors, and see what options that attorney has for you. It's possible that the homestead exemption has been increased - I don't know if that link above is current - but I wouldn't hope for that.

Except, if they aren't to the point right now where creditors are after them, and only worried about the possibility of it in the future, would it still be fraudulent conveyance?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

dvgrhl posted:

Except, if they aren't to the point right now where creditors are after them, and only worried about the possibility of it in the future, would it still be fraudulent conveyance?

Depends on how far in the future creditors might come after them and what the state of their debt is now. I think federal bankruptcy laws have clawback provisions that go up to 10 years in the past; don't know about Alaska state law.

E: that said, this is something worth talking to an estate attorney about.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006
I was presented with a bill for $1200 by the managment company (Riverstone Residential Group) that represents the apartment building that I currently reside in.

The backstory is that I elected to rent month to month a year ago Oct with the agreement that I would pay an additional $100 a month, the previous lease was for $885 plus utilities, Oct 2009 I agreed with the rental agent (whom conveniently is no longer employed with said managment group) verbally, I don't remember signing anything, to $885 plus $100 plus utilities to be paid by the 4th of every month.

Now they're trying to say I didn't pay the required $100 even though my rent checks for the last year have been $985+.

The only paperwork I have is 2008 lease and this last years rent reciepts. The building manager says he'll forgive the $1200 if I sign another lease for a year which is out of the question.

Did I screw myself by not getting anything on paper? I'm in western Washington State if it makes a difference. Jeez I hope this post makes some sense, i'm kinda rattled right now.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
First things first: I'm not your lawyer, not licensed in your state, not legal advice.

If you paid by check, that means you can get copies of the canceled checks from your bank. That plus the receipts should be ample evidence to the building manager that (1) you did indeed pay the extra $100 per month and (2) you're organized enough to present evidence to that effect at court if it goes that far.

Out of curiosity, what did the old lease list as the rent and amount owed for utilities? And did the landlord ever give you any written notice of the higher rent amount owed?

Also, this might help you:
http://www.lawhelp.org/documents/1593216300EN.pdf?stateabbrev=/WA/

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dvgrhl posted:

The fact that they already have debt and are feeling financial pressure is enough for me to worry about the fraudulent conveyance rule. Fraud is such a flexible, broad doctrine, that I would worry about a court interpreting the transfer as a fraudulent conveyance.

It's a tough situation that, unfortunately, I don't think there's an easy answer to.

Mahstah
Mar 20, 2009

entris posted:

The fact that they already have debt and are feeling financial pressure is enough for me to worry about the fraudulent conveyance rule. Fraud is such a flexible, broad doctrine, that I would worry about a court interpreting the transfer as a fraudulent conveyance.

It's a tough situation that, unfortunately, I don't think there's an easy answer to.

There is currently no or very little debt, sorry if I wasn't clear enough in the first post. They have been able to pay off the medical bills so far, but his condition is one that gets worse not better and it could easily spiral to the point where they could end up with a huge amount of debt in the next few years.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

entris posted:

I can think of a third option: get the value of the land re-assessed and make a case that it's below the magic number of $54,000. I don't know the process for appealing a property value assessment in Alaska, but I'm sure there is one.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

ibntumart posted:

First things first: I'm not your lawyer, not licensed in your state, not legal advice.

If you paid by check, that means you can get copies of the canceled checks from your bank. That plus the receipts should be ample evidence to the building manager that (1) you did indeed pay the extra $100 per month and (2) you're organized enough to present evidence to that effect at court if it goes that far.

Out of curiosity, what did the old lease list as the rent and amount owed for utilities? And did the landlord ever give you any written notice of the higher rent amount owed?

Also, this might help you:
http://www.lawhelp.org/documents/1593216300EN.pdf?stateabbrev=/WA/

Thanks for the link, the landlord never did give notice about an increase in the rent, only the additional $100 for not signing a lease. Of course I don't have this on paper.

The new property manager is making a squeeze play, legal or not, hoping that i'll rollover and do the easy thing sign another one year lease so that his boss pats him on the back for having all the units leased.

I feel like i'm neatly boxed in unless I want to move everything to storage and live in my car and possibly screw up any chances of ever renting anything besides a referigerator box. I just have the sinking feeling that if I push him about legal this legal that, things will end badly for me moneywise, creditwise ect in the near future, regardless of what happens in court later.

I haven't rolled over yet as I plan on making some calls tomorrow (local lawyer, renters advocate?) and see if I do have any options. Maybe pay the $1200 over a couple months and continue month to month, recoup the $1200 later in small claims court? Ideas or links gratefully accepted! PM for location specifics.

I've been here for probably 12 years with no problems.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Quick question about how can I change a traffic court date?

"The defendant or a representative must appear in court on the date of your summons. If a representative appears, that person must explain why the defendant cannot appear and request a continuance. Otherwise, the date must be advanced through the motion court of the specific district court in question requesting that the judge change the date. (A motion to advance cannot be filed in a case involving an accident.)"

Thats from the Illinois traffic court website.

My question is, is a death in the family, say, a mother or father, a valid reason to request a continuance? I'm asking this question for someone else, and their father really did die, so It wouldnt be lying.

I also googled continuance, but it only vaguely outlines reasons.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Sorry, another stupid traffic ticket question.

So, I got a speeding ticket for going "43" MPH into a 30 MPH road. The thing is, the cop said he was going to write it up only for "failure to stop at a traffic signal", and he pointed behind me at the last traffic signal. He checked off that box, and did not check off the "unlawful speed" box. In the "other violations or comments pertaining to offense" section, he wrote "43 mph // 30 mph" and the radar gun's number. He also wrote the law being "violated" being Florida law section 316.074, subsection 1.

Either way, I want to dispute the ticket.

So, I don't think there's any merit to the "failure to stop at a traffic signal" claim. The only traffic signal I passed in the time frame I left my apartment was one crosswalk with a traffic light before it. The crosswalk exists to let people into the mall, and the light ONLY turns red when someone presses the pedestrian walk. You can not turn and there is no intersection, it's just a traffic light in front of a crosswalk.

The light was definitely green for motorists, and there were no pedestrians around. There was a car in the lane right to the left of me, which continued on as normal, and we were both going the same speed.

So my first question becomes, if I were to take this to court, would the "unlawful" speed I was supposedly doing but not actually charged for come into question? Or would that aspect just be thrown out for not being on the citation. And even then, I really don't think I was even going that fast; 40 tops, but between 35 and 40. Still speeding, but, really. Car next to me going the same speed, and it's a ridiculously insignigant speed.

The next point of interest is how it all went down. It was a fairly obviously set up a speed trap; they had me pull into the mall and there was another car that got pulled over before me, and there were 3 cops present. The cop who issued me the ticket ran into the road to direct me into the mall to issue the ticket; he could not possibly also be the one who saw me, because he would have been too far away. There were obviously other cops present.

If I were to take this to court, would I only see the officer who gave me the ticket, or would the others also be present?

The next point of issue is that the address on my driver's license is not my current residence address. Would this cause issues?

Another thing I worry about is the option to attend driving school to not get points on my license. If I go to court and they find me "guilty", does that remove the option of taking driving school to remove the points?

Finally, I read earlier in the thread that someone mentioned to "speak to the prosecutor" to discuss options. How would I go about getting in contact with them in the first place?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Saint Celestine posted:

Quick question about how can I change a traffic court date?

"The defendant or a representative must appear in court on the date of your summons. If a representative appears, that person must explain why the defendant cannot appear and request a continuance. Otherwise, the date must be advanced through the motion court of the specific district court in question requesting that the judge change the date. (A motion to advance cannot be filed in a case involving an accident.)"

Thats from the Illinois traffic court website.

My question is, is a death in the family, say, a mother or father, a valid reason to request a continuance? I'm asking this question for someone else, and their father really did die, so It wouldnt be lying.

I also googled continuance, but it only vaguely outlines reasons.

Call the clerk of the court for the court where you (/"your friend") are/is supposed to appear and ask nicely.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

The T posted:

Sorry, another stupid traffic ticket question.

So, I got a speeding ticket for going "43" MPH into a 30 MPH road. The thing is, the cop said he was going to write it up only for "failure to stop at a traffic signal", and he pointed behind me at the last traffic signal. He checked off that box, and did not check off the "unlawful speed" box. In the "other violations or comments pertaining to offense" section, he wrote "43 mph // 30 mph" and the radar gun's number. He also wrote the law being "violated" being Florida law section 316.074, subsection 1.

Either way, I want to dispute the ticket.

So, I don't think there's any merit to the "failure to stop at a traffic signal" claim. The only traffic signal I passed in the time frame I left my apartment was one crosswalk with a traffic light before it. The crosswalk exists to let people into the mall, and the light ONLY turns red when someone presses the pedestrian walk. You can not turn and there is no intersection, it's just a traffic light in front of a crosswalk.

The light was definitely green for motorists, and there were no pedestrians around. There was a car in the lane right to the left of me, which continued on as normal, and we were both going the same speed.

So my first question becomes, if I were to take this to court, would the "unlawful" speed I was supposedly doing but not actually charged for come into question? Or would that aspect just be thrown out for not being on the citation. And even then, I really don't think I was even going that fast; 40 tops, but between 35 and 40. Still speeding, but, really. Car next to me going the same speed, and it's a ridiculously insignigant speed.

The next point of interest is how it all went down. It was a fairly obviously set up a speed trap; they had me pull into the mall and there was another car that got pulled over before me, and there were 3 cops present. The cop who issued me the ticket ran into the road to direct me into the mall to issue the ticket; he could not possibly also be the one who saw me, because he would have been too far away. There were obviously other cops present.

If I were to take this to court, would I only see the officer who gave me the ticket, or would the others also be present?

The next point of issue is that the address on my driver's license is not my current residence address. Would this cause issues?

Another thing I worry about is the option to attend driving school to not get points on my license. If I go to court and they find me "guilty", does that remove the option of taking driving school to remove the points?

Finally, I read earlier in the thread that someone mentioned to "speak to the prosecutor" to discuss options. How would I go about getting in contact with them in the first place?

Sounds like the cop is trying to do you a favor

The T
May 29, 2010

I totally agree, but it doesn't change that I can't afford to pay the ticket and definitely can't afford points on my license or a change on my insurance. I've already decided that unless it'd be a really horrible idea not to, I'd prefer to argue against it.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Read back a few pages, someone posted a situation not all that different from yours and this was the advice.

entris posted:

If you go to traffic court and bring up these issues, you will find that the officer will revise the charge on the spot to be speeding 15 mph over the speed limit.

The T
May 29, 2010

Thanks. Guess it didn't come off clear, but my question definitely was meant to be, "Can they flat out change the charge". Pretty bullshit that supposedly they can, but I appreciate you pointing that one out to me.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

The T posted:

Thanks. Guess it didn't come off clear, but my question definitely was meant to be, "Can they flat out change the charge". Pretty bullshit that supposedly they can, but I appreciate you pointing that one out to me.

How long until you can afford to pay? You can sometimes get a continued appearance a month or two after your initial appearance, if you think that will help you. The prosecuting attorney might also agree to a payment plan, but you'd have to talk to him/her about it.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Also, that seems really odd, in Florida the traffic signal violation carries a $125 fine, while speeding 10-15 MPH over carries a $100 fine. The cop isn't doing you any favors.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Just gonna throw it out there as I am pretty familiar with that statute.

The charge is typically labeled "failure to yield to a traffic control device" and the traffic control device is the speed sign. This is sometimes (but certainly not always) given by an officer who is not using a speed measuring device besides his finely tuned eyes and ears. This doesn't seem to be true in your case. This is a legit ticket that holds up in courts and sometimes, though not often, will even allow the cop to get away with NOT using the radar. (Though probably not since the 2009 discovery amendment.)

IIRC the failure to obey ticket carries a 3 point penalty if you admit guilt and pay the fine while unlawful speed carries a 4 point penalty. I'd agree that he is not doing you any favors and IANAL. I have, however, received two such tickets and been to traffic court in Florida about ~10 times now and have all dismissals except for one withhold where I plead no contest and got the fine reduced with no school or points. In my times of going I have never seen a judge change the fine except to decrease or try to punish you in any way for going to court. You will be assessed court costs of you elect a trial and then plead no contest. This is $33 in orange county. Wear a suit. Go to Goodwill if you do not have a suit and get a suit. Show respect for the court and read the Florida rules of traffic court linked below. There are rights like speedy trial and discovery you need to understand. It'll also give you a run down of what to expect.

http://www.floridabar.org/TFB/TFBResources.nsf/0/0FF693985C17374385256B29004BFA46/$FILE/Traffic.pdf?OpenElement

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 31, 2011

The T
May 29, 2010

Konstantin posted:

Also, that seems really odd, in Florida the traffic signal violation carries a $125 fine, while speeding 10-15 MPH over carries a $100 fine. The cop isn't doing you any favors.

If it were that low I could probably deal with it. I doubt bringing up the rate of the fine being "wrong" would really help, though.

Lord Gaga posted:

IIRC the failure to obey ticket carries a 3 point penalty if you admit guilt and pay the fine while unlawful speed carries a 4 point penalty. I'd agree that he is not doing you any favors and IANAL. I have, however, received two such tickets and been to traffic court in Florida about ~10 times now and have all dismissals except for one withhold where I plead no contest and got the fine reduced with no school or points. In my times of going I have never seen a judge change the fine except to decrease or try to punish you in any way for going to court. You will be assessed court costs of you elect a trial and then plead no contest. This is $33 in orange county. Wear a suit. Go to Goodwill if you do not have a suit and get a suit. Show respect for the court and read the Florida rules of traffic court linked below. There are rights like speedy trial and discovery you need to understand. It'll also give you a run down of what to expect.

How much would I reasonably expect the fine to be lowered? If it wouldn't offset the price of buying a suit jacket (I have dress clothes, but no suit jacket, which sounds like it would be useful/needed?) and the court cost (and the gas to get there...), then it'd almost be like why bother.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I go to court expecting to get things dismissed. If you lose in court you will no doubt walking out paying more, not less. Losing is anything but a dismissal, in which case you pay nothing. You are very very likely to get a dismissal if you show up and the police officer does not show up.

The rare exception being the case where I got a withhold without traffic school in which case I both did not get a dismissal and still made out worth getting $30 suit for that event alone because I did not have to go to traffic school. I have not seen other people get this lucky. I got an understanding judge that day though I could tell I was about on the edge of his patience with me.

Anecdote aside, if you can not, through doing your research on how to contest speeding tickets and reading those traffic court rules, come up with a reasonable defense where you respectfully explain why the police officer is unable to prove his case, you're basically left gambling that he wont show or he will show up having forgot his evidence. In which case you plead not guilty, point out he has no evidence and motion for a dismissal. Do not offer any testimony. Keep your mouth shut for the most part.

The T
May 29, 2010

Then I guess I would ask; worst case scenario he shows up and is prepared, what should I expect and what would I build my case around? Any details you can offer about your experiences with it? If not, no worries, and thanks so much for getting me started off.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
On the withhold I mentioned previously, the officer showed up and had everything he needed to make a case for unlawful speed. I had nothing to say that he couldn't disprove with paperwork in hand. I changed my plea to no contest after telling the judge how god drat poor I am and that the only reason I am here is because I am so very very poor.

At that point it was judges discretion. TYPICALLY what happens if you aren't a repeat offender is you will get them same punishment you would have had you done the "traffic school option"

That is:
-Withhold of adjudication
-Pay normal statutory fine (doesnt matter what officer wrote)
-Get sentenced to traffic school at your cost (typically its the 4 hour online eligible one)
-No points/doesn't affect insurance (as with any noncriminal withhold)

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
When I fought my ticket a while back it was an unusual case. Apparently I turned in front of a car who had the right of way and they had to brake suddenly to avoid hitting me, but I wasn't aware of any of this. The officer was very unclear about what exactly I was being ticketed for, except for quoting the offense "Failure to yield right of way to a vehicle.". I would have missed the first court date because the officer wrote her "4" in a way that looks exactly like a "7", but luckily the county had a service that calls you a few days beforehand to remind you.

I pled not guilty because I didn't know the specific circumstances that I was being ticket for, and wrote a letter to the police department asking for the officer's report. I got a reply back saying that there was no written record of the stop other than the ticket itself. So I show up to court, and the prosecutor has an extremely detailed report from the officer explaining exactly what I was accused of. The cop didn't show, so the case was dismissed, but I wonder how the judge would have reacted when I showed him the letter specifically denying the existence of the report that the prosecutor had?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Lord Gaga posted:

On the withhold I mentioned previously, the officer showed up and had everything he needed to make a case for unlawful speed. I had nothing to say that he couldn't disprove with paperwork in hand. I changed my plea to no contest after telling the judge how god drat poor I am and that the only reason I am here is because I am so very very poor.

At that point it was judges discretion. TYPICALLY what happens if you aren't a repeat offender is you will get them same punishment you would have had you done the "traffic school option"

That is:
-Withhold of adjudication
-Pay normal statutory fine (doesnt matter what officer wrote)
-Get sentenced to traffic school at your cost (typically its the 4 hour online eligible one)
-No points/doesn't affect insurance (as with any noncriminal withhold)

I'll say this: this is total anecdotal evidence, and doesn't mean anyone's case will be similar. This was in Leon county in Florida. I pled No Contest to about three separate tickets within a four year span. Each one was a different violation (so not three straight speeding tickets or something). Each time, I was given adjudication withheld and did not have to go to traffic school for any of them. On the last one I was basically told that was it, that I wouldn't be so lucky next time. Luckily there hasn't been a next time in five years (and I don't live there anymore, so either way...).

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

The T posted:

If it were that low I could probably deal with it. I doubt bringing up the rate of the fine being "wrong" would really help, though.

How much would I reasonably expect the fine to be lowered? If it wouldn't offset the price of buying a suit jacket (I have dress clothes, but no suit jacket, which sounds like it would be useful/needed?) and the court cost (and the gas to get there...), then it'd almost be like why bother.

Think of it this way. You show up dressed nicely in a suit, freshly shaven, and maybe even a recent haircut. You've done you're homework so you have some idea of the process and what you need to say. You're respectful, you look the judge in the eye when he talks, and you speak clearly and concisely. You don't play around on your cell phone while you're waiting in the courtroom, and better yet you have it turned off before you leave your car. You have multiple copies of anything you bring with you.

Contrast that with about 95% of the other people the judge will see that day. If the judge is going to give any one a break that day, you've made yourself a good candidate.

From my experience at traffic court I can tell you I was the only one with a tie on, let alone a jacket. Everyone else was in clothes they'd just be wearing any other day. The ones I saw go before my turn either didn't have a clue what they were doing, or worse were making crazy excuses for the judge. When my turn came I had all my stuff ready, gave it to him, barely said anything, and walked out only needing to pay a $25 court fee.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

dvgrhl posted:

Think of it this way. You show up dressed nicely in a suit, freshly shaven, and maybe even a recent haircut. You've done you're homework so you have some idea of the process and what you need to say. You're respectful, you look the judge in the eye when he talks, and you speak clearly and concisely. You don't play around on your cell phone while you're waiting in the courtroom, and better yet you have it turned off before you leave your car. You have multiple copies of anything you bring with you.

Contrast that with about 95% of the other people the judge will see that day. If the judge is going to give any one a break that day, you've made yourself a good candidate.

From my experience at traffic court I can tell you I was the only one with a tie on, let alone a jacket. Everyone else was in clothes they'd just be wearing any other day. The ones I saw go before my turn either didn't have a clue what they were doing, or worse were making crazy excuses for the judge. When my turn came I had all my stuff ready, gave it to him, barely said anything, and walked out only needing to pay a $25 court fee.

This this this this this

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
When I went the traffic cases were mixed in with other minor crimes. There was even a PD who chewed out her client for not returning her calls, even though he was facing possible jail time. He was able to plead down to a fine, but the judge actually had to consult the statute book to figure out how much the fine was. Another guy thought that paying to replace a car window that he broke meant that he didn't have to pay the fine for vandalism. An old Vietnamese lady barely spoke English and didn't understand the questions the judge asked about entering a plea, so he had to order a continuance since there was no interpreter available. It was an interesting experience, to say the least.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

dvgrhl posted:

Let me tell you about all the pro se litigants I get to see on the rocket docket, many of whom seem to think that pajama pants or jeans sagging below their asses are appropriate courtroom attire. . .

Well, you get the picture. Don't be those guys.

VampireRobot
Apr 4, 2004
I have got a legal question.

I was working in Japan for an American-based company for 3 1/2 years.

I recently quit and came back to America. My last official day of work was in mid-August. They told me that the last paycheck could be a little late because they wanted to make sure I had properly paid off all my bills and other apartment-related stuff before leaving the country before they would clear the paycheck. If I had failed to pay something off or the landlord wanted more than the original deposit money for repairs or something, the company I worked for would be able to withhold money from the last paycheck in order to be accountable and pay for those things.

The apartment was rented in the company's name since it's very difficult to rent apartments for foreigners in Japan. This means that the rent was coming directly out of the paychecks each month, before the paycheck came to me. I never dealt directly with paying rent to anybody: that was the company's responsibility.

It's now been almost 3 months since my last day of work, and they are finally getting around to sending me the final paycheck. They've sent me some pay vouchers via email showing the deductions from my check, including the deposit (used for cleaning the apartment), the prorated rent for the last month (since I was only in the room for 7 days that last month), taxes, normal stuff, etc. This info came from the woman who is in charge of lining up housing, at the company.

Next, I heard from the woman in charge of lining up the paychecks, and she sent me a scan of my final pay voucher which showed that I was having the deductions showed to me before, presented at the time as my "total deductions", in this new voucher listed as "cleaning/fees", plus now there was another column listing "rent", with a full month's rent also being deducted.

I emailed a response to the paycheck woman to ask what was up with that since it had already been included in that "cleaning/fees" amount, as a smaller prorated amount, so why was I being charged one other full month's rent?

A response came from the housing woman, and she sent me a Word document of all of my old pay vouchers, with the month of March 2010 being circled in pink, where the rent deduction field was blank. In the email she wrote that she's sorry for forgetting to tell me, but she was looking through my history and found that that one month, March 2010, I had not had the rent deducted from my paycheck, so they're going to correct that error and take it out of my last paycheck now. Apparently the rent made it to the landlord, but the company somehow allegedly forgot to deduct it from my check.

I might have the old pay stubs from that time, but they would be in a box in another state. I also might have thrown them out when I left Japan. I was banking with the government-run Yuucho Post Office Bank while in Japan and they are very very non-technological, so I think it'd be a dead end to try to ask them to show me the records of my pay at that time, especially since I closed the account when I left.

The whole thing stinks and is suspicious to me. I feel like they're just trying to rip me off on my last pay check. It's already way too late (I DID properly pay everything off before I left, and there's no problem, so the check should have come out a lot quicker), and the document that was sent to me showing that the paycheck wasn't deducted for March 2010 is nothing official and is the type of document that could easily be edited in MS Word before sending it to me.

I've responded asking for more official proof that the pay was not actually deducted and that this isn't just a typo on that particular voucher. I sure as hell don't remember a time where I was paid more than I was supposed to be.

Finally: My question is, what can I do? What if I can't find any proof on my end, and they don't produce any more on their end either, and it's just my word against theirs and they insist on taking that deduction from my check? Is there anything I can do? How about, in the far-fetched case that they're right and they really didn't deduct it from my check, is it legal for them to just realize their (emphasis on "their") mistake now and rectify it by taking that money from my last paycheck now, a year and a half later? Is there a time limitation on when they can do that?

The company, as is the case with most companies that hire mostly foreigners in Japan, has a pretty sketchy reputation. They haven't ever really screwed me over too seriously before, but I have heard of other people being screwed over. Normally in this situation I'd fight it a little and if it didn't work out, I'd just take the loss. But I have been struggling hard to get a new life set up now in America, and I have been waiting for that check. My money situation is not good at all right now, so I've been waiting and counting on that check coming in. It's already late, and now they're deducting stuff suddenly just before sending it out. To say the least, I find the situation less than satisfying.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

VampireRobot posted:

I have got a legal question.

I was working in Japan for an American-based company for 3 1/2 years.

I recently quit and came back to America. My last official day of work was in mid-August. They told me that the last paycheck could be a little late because they wanted to make sure I had properly paid off all my bills and other apartment-related stuff before leaving the country before they would clear the paycheck. If I had failed to pay something off or the landlord wanted more than the original deposit money for repairs or something, the company I worked for would be able to withhold money from the last paycheck in order to be accountable and pay for those things.

The apartment was rented in the company's name since it's very difficult to rent apartments for foreigners in Japan. This means that the rent was coming directly out of the paychecks each month, before the paycheck came to me. I never dealt directly with paying rent to anybody: that was the company's responsibility.

It's now been almost 3 months since my last day of work, and they are finally getting around to sending me the final paycheck. They've sent me some pay vouchers via email showing the deductions from my check, including the deposit (used for cleaning the apartment), the prorated rent for the last month (since I was only in the room for 7 days that last month), taxes, normal stuff, etc. This info came from the woman who is in charge of lining up housing, at the company.

Next, I heard from the woman in charge of lining up the paychecks, and she sent me a scan of my final pay voucher which showed that I was having the deductions showed to me before, presented at the time as my "total deductions", in this new voucher listed as "cleaning/fees", plus now there was another column listing "rent", with a full month's rent also being deducted.

I emailed a response to the paycheck woman to ask what was up with that since it had already been included in that "cleaning/fees" amount, as a smaller prorated amount, so why was I being charged one other full month's rent?

A response came from the housing woman, and she sent me a Word document of all of my old pay vouchers, with the month of March 2010 being circled in pink, where the rent deduction field was blank. In the email she wrote that she's sorry for forgetting to tell me, but she was looking through my history and found that that one month, March 2010, I had not had the rent deducted from my paycheck, so they're going to correct that error and take it out of my last paycheck now. Apparently the rent made it to the landlord, but the company somehow allegedly forgot to deduct it from my check.

I might have the old pay stubs from that time, but they would be in a box in another state. I also might have thrown them out when I left Japan. I was banking with the government-run Yuucho Post Office Bank while in Japan and they are very very non-technological, so I think it'd be a dead end to try to ask them to show me the records of my pay at that time, especially since I closed the account when I left.

The whole thing stinks and is suspicious to me. I feel like they're just trying to rip me off on my last pay check. It's already way too late (I DID properly pay everything off before I left, and there's no problem, so the check should have come out a lot quicker), and the document that was sent to me showing that the paycheck wasn't deducted for March 2010 is nothing official and is the type of document that could easily be edited in MS Word before sending it to me.

I've responded asking for more official proof that the pay was not actually deducted and that this isn't just a typo on that particular voucher. I sure as hell don't remember a time where I was paid more than I was supposed to be.

Finally: My question is, what can I do? What if I can't find any proof on my end, and they don't produce any more on their end either, and it's just my word against theirs and they insist on taking that deduction from my check? Is there anything I can do? How about, in the far-fetched case that they're right and they really didn't deduct it from my check, is it legal for them to just realize their (emphasis on "their") mistake now and rectify it by taking that money from my last paycheck now, a year and a half later? Is there a time limitation on when they can do that?

The company, as is the case with most companies that hire mostly foreigners in Japan, has a pretty sketchy reputation. They haven't ever really screwed me over too seriously before, but I have heard of other people being screwed over. Normally in this situation I'd fight it a little and if it didn't work out, I'd just take the loss. But I have been struggling hard to get a new life set up now in America, and I have been waiting for that check. My money situation is not good at all right now, so I've been waiting and counting on that check coming in. It's already late, and now they're deducting stuff suddenly just before sending it out. To say the least, I find the situation less than satisfying.

What does your employment contract say? Venue/contracting company/rent specifics?

I suspect you'll find that suing them is a dead end, and probably more costly than is worth it. Just for argument's sake, though, how much rent money are we talking about here?

VampireRobot
Apr 4, 2004
Unfortunately I don't know the specifics of the contract now, and if I still have that anywhere, it's in the box with the pay stubs.

To be honest, I'm not wanting to sue. I just want to know if I would have any legal grounds to contest this and fight back against them. Their reputation is that if they try to pull some funny stuff with you and you start threatening them with fighting back and you are actually legally right, they usually back down, so that's kind of what I'm hoping for.

The rent money at today's exchange rate is a little more than $700. Not a fortune but it's definitely a big amount to me right now.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

VampireRobot posted:

Unfortunately I don't know the specifics of the contract now, and if I still have that anywhere, it's in the box with the pay stubs.

To be honest, I'm not wanting to sue. I just want to know if I would have any legal grounds to contest this and fight back against them. Their reputation is that if they try to pull some funny stuff with you and you start threatening them with fighting back and you are actually legally right, they usually back down, so that's kind of what I'm hoping for.

The rent money at today's exchange rate is a little more than $700. Not a fortune but it's definitely a big amount to me right now.

Well, ask them for an accounting and see what your numbers look like. I think they still have the right to deduct the rent, but I'd have to look at the contract to be sure

VampireRobot
Apr 4, 2004
There's already been a bit of back-and-forth through email, with the latest being me telling them I want to see some proof. Like I wrote before, I want them to prove it's not just a typing mistake where someone forgot to type it into that month's entry but it was still taken care of with the money. Their response just now was that, "it's definitely not wrong. Check your bank book, if it's printed in there."

Of course, the bank book is back at home a few states away, but I could still have my mom look at it. It's very very unlikely that anything like that is printed in there since I live in the 21st century and use the ATM card which the bank confiscated off of me when I closed my account.

I feel like they're calling my bluff. A friend of mine says I should bluff back and tell them I have the statement right in front of me saying I got a normal check that month. It doesn't sound like they're wanting to show me their accounting stuff, but should I ask/demand to be sure?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

VampireRobot posted:

There's already been a bit of back-and-forth through email, with the latest being me telling them I want to see some proof. Like I wrote before, I want them to prove it's not just a typing mistake where someone forgot to type it into that month's entry but it was still taken care of with the money. Their response just now was that, "it's definitely not wrong. Check your bank book, if it's printed in there."

Of course, the bank book is back at home a few states away, but I could still have my mom look at it. It's very very unlikely that anything like that is printed in there since I live in the 21st century and use the ATM card which the bank confiscated off of me when I closed my account.

I feel like they're calling my bluff. A friend of mine says I should bluff back and tell them I have the statement right in front of me saying I got a normal check that month. It doesn't sound like they're wanting to show me their accounting stuff, but should I ask/demand to be sure?

Tell them (politely) that you'd like to see their transaction register for your employee account.

E: also, find your damned employment contract. this would go a lot better for you if you were able to offer up some of your own evidence.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 18, 2014

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

EDIT: Nevermind, lawyer got back to me.

UNCUT PHILISTINE fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 8, 2011

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
Question about unemployment in PA:

My employer filed an appeal to the ruling I was eligible for UC (dismissed last December) and we'll have to have a hearing with witnesses and stuff. Can I hear from someone what that's going to be like? Do we all sit in the same room together?

It appears my boss was told through a third person that I called her a name during my prolonged illness and absence from work and that is what she's claiming she fired me over, not the fact that I had a previous write-up for being sick, that I had doctor's notes and an xray proving I was sick, or that she quite literally said to me she'd wanted to fire me for over a year.

She managed to force another employee to send her the text of what I wrote, but only after I'd been fired (which makes it look like it was not the cause of the firing). I am going to have two witnesses - the person I sent the text messages to (my direct supervisor) and the person who grabbed the phone away from my supervisor and read the message and ran to tell the boss , thus proving it is third-hand knowledge, not eligible for admission, and did not have relevance in the firing when I have a previous write-up in my fill for absenteeism.

What will the hearing be like (regardless of the circumstances, just in general how does the hearing go) and can someone confirm that my using the supervisor as a witness will not impact the supervisors position at the company? Also, should I request a copy of the previous write-up that was placed in my file for the hearing?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That70sHeidi posted:

Why do you think it would be inadmissible?

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

UC hearings are in front of a Referee and not all that formal. Well formal is relative I guess. Some people would find them formal but they are not as strict as a trial.