Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

My pile of childhood LEGO from my parents arrived today. Now to wash them all (they reek like dirt and cigarette smoke from being in the garage for over a decade), sort them, and figure out what the hell I have.

I know there's some Spyrius in there, and maybe some M-tron, and some Technic from that period. But apparently I had some Castle stuff from around then too. Who knew? v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

When I was at the LEGO store the other day one of the people there said some new sets come out Nov 1 (tomorrow) and Dec 1. I looked around online and couldn't figure out which ones were coming out.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Woah minifig costumes

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

engessa posted:

I painted this. My friends didn't know what it was.

drat, now this makes me want to make stencil t-shirts of Lego designs like that. I think I'd have to do Blacktron first, though. Looks like I've found myself a project for this weekend! (If I can pry myself from all the new video games this month, Jesus H. Christ.)

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Saint Sputnik posted:

Woah minifig costumes

Those middle two are almost too good. They're a little scary.

I went to my local Lego Store today and found a nifty Christmas ornament. They had three kinds, red and trans red, green and trans green and the one I got, which had 14 dark tan 2x2 bricks, 14 metallic gold 2x2 bricks, and 12 trans yellow 1x2 bricks for $7.99. Not a great price point for parts, I suppose, but I thought it was worth it for metallic gold. I'll definitely be watching for these on clearance after the holidays, but I'm willing to bet this particular one sells.

Shuppiluliumas fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 1, 2011

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

mattfl posted:

The Lego store that's in Orlando, which I believe is the largest Lego store in the states is worth checking out too. The park is only open until 5pm I believe so when you're done there, drive an hour north to Downtown Disney and check out the store.

Largest in the world, both by floor area, and by PaB wall size. I'm going to hate moving back to England, Orlando has spoiled me!!!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Okay, so I will be surprising my 11 and 6 year old with LEGOLAND Orlando tickets for Christmas (we're going the first of January). It's just a regular amusement park with a LEGO theme right? I had a tough time figuring out if there was anything that'd make it stand out from say, Disneyworld (where we're also going).

I'm hoping the PAB selection is better than the LEGO store near here.

If it's like Legoland California, it's really geared towards younger kids (your 11-year-old might be bored with the rides), with a lot of water play areas. Some attractions (like, say, the remote control boats) cost extra.
The PAB was...disappointing. And since the Legoland parks aren't affiliated Lego, you can't use your VIP card, either.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Bionicle is a dumb, but I look at some of it in the bulk bin I got super cheap on a whim and think I could probably incorporate some of it into nifty detailing for a spaceship.

So I'll give it a pass for now.

Kabong
Jan 1, 2001

Kickin' Afrolistics

djfooboo posted:

21010 Architecture Robie House is on sale for 135.99 on Amazon

Money is overrated anyway... :ohdear:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0050COGZI

Thank you for the heads up!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

SubbyMinx posted:

Largest in the world, both by floor area, and by PaB wall size. I'm going to hate moving back to England, Orlando has spoiled me!!!

Largest in the world and here I am 45 minutes from it and I haven't gone yet! SHAME!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

djfooboo posted:

21010 Architecture Robie House is on sale for 135.99 on Amazon

Money is overrated anyway... :ohdear:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0050COGZI

Amazing, my girlfriend wanted this for christmas since it's the house that made her want to be an architect. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

Amazing, my girlfriend wanted this for christmas since it's the house that made her want to be an architect. Thanks for the heads up. :)

My (also) architect wife doesn't want the Robie house, but that isn't getting me out of buying her Falling Water and the Farnsworth house for Christmas. I feel guilty because I know how much she wants them, but inside I keep thinking about what a horrible price per brick value they are and that I shouldn't buy them.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Spaceman Future! posted:

My (also) architect wife doesn't want the Robie house, but that isn't getting me out of buying her Falling Water and the Farnsworth house for Christmas. I feel guilty because I know how much she wants them, but inside I keep thinking about what a horrible price per brick value they are and that I shouldn't buy them.

That may be true but...they're so goddamn beautiful...

Bounded Empire
Apr 26, 2010
I loved Lego when I was a kid but sadly I allowed them to be passed on to other family members in my teenage years. What's the best way to get a basic amount of pieces? Should I use Bricklink from the OP or buy sets whenever I see them on sale? I think there is a Lego store within an hour of me--is their pick-a-brick the way to go? I've skimmed through part of the thread and saw that you can recoup some of the cost of Star Wars sets by selling minifigs. Would the Death Star be good? I'm not too concerned about minifigs or building the sets according to the directions. I want to do mostly MOC.

I am slightly worried about the amount of money I'm willing to spend to get back into this. :ohdear:

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Bounded Empire posted:

What's the best way to get a basic amount of pieces?
If you'll mostly be doing MOCs, start by figuring out which colours you'll be using the most. A large box of bricks is no use if only a few of them are any good for each model.

From that point of view, the Star Wars stuff is great for mostly grey with a variety of highlights, but if (like me) you're using more earth colours then you're better with Pharaoh's Quest and Harry Potter sets (and second hand Adventurers sets if you can find them). You also occasionally find bulk lots on eBay separated by colour.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Spaceman Future! posted:

The instructions are usually available online, you could try building it yourself?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

The instructions are usually available online, you could try building it yourself?

Unless you already have the parts, it's only $10-$20 cheaper to order the individual bricks off the internet.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Bounded Empire posted:

I loved Lego when I was a kid but sadly I allowed them to be passed on to other family members in my teenage years. What's the best way to get a basic amount of pieces? Should I use Bricklink from the OP or buy sets whenever I see them on sale? I think there is a Lego store within an hour of me--is their pick-a-brick the way to go? I've skimmed through part of the thread and saw that you can recoup some of the cost of Star Wars sets by selling minifigs. Would the Death Star be good? I'm not too concerned about minifigs or building the sets according to the directions. I want to do mostly MOC.

I am slightly worried about the amount of money I'm willing to spend to get back into this. :ohdear:

If you know the style of stuff you want to do, then Dame Cook's advice is good advice. If you just want to have stuff, go apeshit on a few large lots of lego on ebay or something, and just don't spend more than $6-7/lb.

The latter, supplemented by some cheap star wars sets that I picked up, is how I got restarted.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

GidgetNomates posted:

That may be true but...they're so goddamn beautiful...

I'm actually a little disappointed by the Farnsworth House. The scale seems off, and there's some weird quality issues. (For example, the vertical girders aren't actually attached to anything above the floor line, so they fall off if you look at them wrong.)

That's not to say it's not a nice set piece, but it was a really boring build and it just doesn't seem terribly well done. It really got me interested in the the other Architecture sets, so I suppose it did its job well enough.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

The Ninjago fad is so much better than Bionicle. I base this solely on the amount of Bionicle I see at garage sales. If that is all going to be Ninjago in a couple of years it will be a great source of brown, red and black pieces, and Ninja armies.

I bought over 20 Bionicles for $3 at one sale. Holy ball joints Batman!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I got something in the mail today. :3:

Look at all those slopes and curved pieces! (Not pictured: 36 1x1 slopes)

'Light' bricks with their own internal battery? That's handy. Big gently caress-off engines and cockpit windshields are always useful, too.

00:30 mark.

01:00

01:30

02:00

02:20 and 5892 is done!

Sorry for the shoddy quality.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

How do you guys keep your instructions sorted? I have 2 shoeboxes full but it gets annoying trying to find a particular one. I need something like a filing cabinet.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Ika posted:

How do you guys keep your instructions sorted? I have 2 shoeboxes full but it gets annoying trying to find a particular one. I need something like a filing cabinet.

I keep them in the boxes of the kits but in about a year when I have no room left in my apartment for all the Lego boxes I'll probably have to find a better solution.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Ika posted:

What instructions? :smugdog: Really though, if you only have about two shoeboxes, you could get one of those plastic crates and a bunch of file folders to keep them organized. Something like this maybe:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/430723/Office-Depot-Brand-FilingStacking-Crate-10/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I got something in the mail today. :3:

02:20 and 5892 is done!

Sonic Boom is such a fun set, and the jet is ridiculously huge! I actually took mine apart over the weekend and rebuilt it as the prop plane though, since I like older planes. It's definitely at a more swooshable size too.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My daughter spent her birthday money wisely and just finished building her Village Mill Raid about 3 hours after it arrived.

It's a pretty neat build. Lots of features, but not too complex. This makes 2 big sets that's she's completed without any help. If only she liked space sets, I'd enroll her in LEGO MBA.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

That was a great set. A friend's kid came over and wrecked the poo poo out of mine, but maybe eventually I'll find all the pieces to build the prop plane.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Since I didn't get want to spend 99$ to get the christmas lego set last month, I bought it off ebay. It arrived today, crushed. While I realize the lego is most likely perfectly fine, I bought the set to stash away not build. The seller packed it in a brown envelope with "do not crush" written on it.

I contacted the seller, he pulled the ol'e if you check my stores shipping policy you will see I don't cover damaged items unless insurance was purchased.

I wrote him back saying the auction listing lacked those details. I'll give him one last chance to make it right, then I'm going to make a complaint to PayPal/eBay.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 3, 2011

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Slickdeals has a few small sets for basically dirt cheap. $5 shipping, but still not bad! $4 for that Star Wars set is a pretty sweet deal.
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/61626/lego-lego-lava-dragon-2-lego-robo-champ-3-lego-city-burglars-magnet-set-3.50-lego-star-wars-magnet-set

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Veeb0rg posted:

Since I didn't get want to spend 99$ to get the christmas lego set last month, I bought it off ebay. It arrived today, crushed. While I realize the lego is most likely perfectly fine, I bought the set to stash away not build. The seller packed it in a brown envelope with "do not crush" written on it.

I contacted the seller, he pulled the ol'e if you check my stores shipping policy you will see I don't cover damaged items unless insurance was purchased.

I wrote him back saying the auction listing lacked those details. I'll give him one last chance to make it right, then I'm going to make a complaint to PayPal/eBay.

Call him on the phone. His paypal information ought to have his phone number, if not, just whitepages him. People will usually take you more seriously if you talk to them instead of email them. Unless they're Californian, then they've got their head too far up in the clouds/their own asses to know any sort of sense.

As for Bionicle, well, check within the first few posts of mine for my view of it.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

Call him on the phone. His paypal information ought to have his phone number, if not, just whitepages him. People will usually take you more seriously if you talk to them instead of email them. Unless they're Californian, then they've got their head too far up in the clouds/their own asses to know any sort of sense.

As for Bionicle, well, check within the first few posts of mine for my view of it.

I checked the paypal info, no number. I'll wait to see his reply, and then file a paypal claim.

I am expecting a box full of 9v track tomorrow, I get to spend the weekend cleaning and polishing it. I really need to pull all my track together and take a count of how much I have, I've been buying it randomly and really not keeping track.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 3, 2011

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ziploc posted:

So Halloween.

(Me)

I need one of these visors.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Veeb0rg posted:

I checked the paypal info, no number. I'll wait to see his reply, and then file a paypal claim.

I am expecting a box full of 9v track tomorrow, I get to spend the weekend cleaning and polishing it. I really need to pull all my track together and take a count of how much I have, I've been buying it randomly and really not keeping track.

What do you use to clean your track? I never have any luck with non-abrasive techniques with my 12v track. I've taken to using steel wool and super-fine sandpaper. I think it's less of an issue for 12v rail, where the metal is pretty thick, but I wouldn't mind a softer solution as well.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Shuppiluliumas posted:

What do you use to clean your track? I never have any luck with non-abrasive techniques with my 12v track. I've taken to using steel wool and super-fine sandpaper. I think it's less of an issue for 12v rail, where the metal is pretty thick, but I wouldn't mind a softer solution as well.

well, I'm gonna try the crest toothpaste method that's going around, barring that I'm going to grab a small buffer/polisher wheel set from harbor freight and give that a try too.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Sonic Boom is such a fun set, and the jet is ridiculously huge! I actually took mine apart over the weekend and rebuilt it as the prop plane though, since I like older planes. It's definitely at a more swooshable size too.

It is! And it's pretty ridiculous how fascinating it is to pull that lever an watch the engines light up (although the mechanism is a bit finicky). I don't think I will keep mine as it is for long, either. It's begging to be remade into something inspired by Crimson Skies.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Veeb0rg posted:

well, I'm gonna try the crest toothpaste method that's going around, barring that I'm going to grab a small buffer/polisher wheel set from harbor freight and give that a try too.

You can buy track cleaning blocks used by model railroad enthusiasts. Though knowing those guys it probably costs $200.

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
I love Castle. I'm definitely not a space ship man (sorry). However, I'm curious. Some (not all) of the Harry Potter sets look cool. Is there a very high premium on the Harry Potter brand over vanilla "Castle" and "Kingdoms" sets?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Compare the price per piece and it's higher, though not as bad as Star Wars.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
I'm the same. I like the sort of creative anachronisms style of Kingdoms, but what I'd really like is a duality of realistic mediæval Castle sets and completely off the wall, stoner blacklight poster mushrooms and wizards Fantasy sets.

Lord Gold
Feb 22, 2005

'STACHE
WE CAN BELIEVE IN

Veeb0rg posted:

Seriously, don't be that guy. LEGO was meant to be enjoyed, not speculated on like a commodity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Veeb0rg posted:

Another buyer abusing the fact that ebay and paypal's policies are completely slanted in favor of the buyer, super duper.