Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pakman
Jun 27, 2011

oldpainless posted:

I somehow have missed this thread for a while, but I got a bunch of stuff from Borders closing sale. First book up is Foucalt's Pendulum by Umberto Eco.

When I read this, I wasn't sure what to think of it. It's definitely interesting to watch what happens and how the narrator gets caught up in what's going on as well as the people that "the things in the plot" are happening to. Trying not to spoiler it as I'm not sure how far along in the book you are.

It definitely creates an atmosphere of tension and :wtc: in the opening chapter, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I'm just finishing up book three of Abercrombie's First Law trilogy, and have already read Heroes. I've heard the fourth book (Best Served Cold, I think) is pretty weak compared to the others, is it even worth reading?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Encryptic posted:

Been a long time since I read the book but he's likely referring to sea creatures by their scientific names in Latin. For instance, I Googled for pavonari and it turns up a passage from the book that implies he's talking about a nautilus - "I saw there (but not dried up, as our specimens of the Nautilus are) pavonari spread like a fan as if to catch the breeze".

I actually googled for pavonari as well and all I found were links that had to do with the book itself. That's the thing, a lot of the species names seem now-defunct, and even the legitimate Latin ones I don't always recognize. I don't really mind though, I just sort of zone out when I get to those passages.

I have to be honest here, I always thought the title meant that the protagonist would, at one point, travel to a depth of twenty thousand leagues. This is a remarkably stupid assumption considering that this is almost ten times the Earth's diameter. Even 19th-century science fiction wouldn't push it that far. Hey, I didn't know how much a league was.

Salty.
Nov 5, 2009

Got these at the local library's seasonal sale.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Kekekela posted:

I'm just finishing up book three of Abercrombie's First Law trilogy, and have already read Heroes. I've heard the fourth book (Best Served Cold, I think) is pretty weak compared to the others, is it even worth reading?

I thought it was a pretty good revenge story and it's in the same dark gritty style. I'm probably alone in not being completely blown away by Abercrombie, but he's a competent-enough writer and I found this to be a bit more engaging than The First Law trilogy.

Phlegmish posted:

I actually googled for pavonari as well and all I found were links that had to do with the book itself. That's the thing, a lot of the species names seem now-defunct, and even the legitimate Latin ones I don't always recognize. I don't really mind though, I just sort of zone out when I get to those passages.

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of those names are probably outdated by now but it's an interesting relic of the time period Verne was writing in.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just started Axiomatic by Greg Egan, which is his first collection of short stories (hard sci-fi). I've read two of the eighteen so far, and both of them have totally blown my mind. This guy has amazing ideas, and crams tons of them into each 20-page (or so) story. The first two were:

- "Infinite Assassin", which is about a drug that lets its users experience parallel universe versions of their own lives, and one man who's almost exactly the same in every single one of the infinite universes.

- "The Hundred-Light-Year Diary", in which astrophysicists come up with a method of sending information 100 years into the past, and everyone on earth is granted approximately 100 words per day for their whole life, to send a diary back in time. Egan explores concepts of free will and knowing the future, as well as shows what happens when people (and governments) abuse the technology. All in 17 pages. loving genius.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

I just started working my way through The Emperor of All Maladies, by Siddhartha Mukherjee last night, and holy cow is this book awesome. Who knew the cancer research could be so fascinating?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Boomerang - Michael Lewis
A tale about five different (Iceland/Ireland/Greece/Germany/USA) countries and what eventually led to their economy rising and inevitably crashing.

I finished Moneyball a few weeks before the movie come out, then I saw Lewis talk about his book on the Daily Show about a week ago, so when shopping for something to read when I was at work I thought I would give it a try. As someone who knows absolutely nothing about the economy or how it works, this book was a pretty easy read, and full of some really funny stories. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

OxySnake posted:

Boomerang - Michael Lewis
A tale about five different (Iceland/Ireland/Greece/Germany/USA) countries and what eventually led to their economy rising and inevitably crashing.

I finished Moneyball a few weeks before the movie come out, then I saw Lewis talk about his book on the Daily Show about a week ago, so when shopping for something to read when I was at work I thought I would give it a try. As someone who knows absolutely nothing about the economy or how it works, this book was a pretty easy read, and full of some really funny stories. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

Definitely gonna check this out. I recently read The Big Short and loved it.

I came home from the Princeton Public Library's annual Friend of the Library sale with a good haul. First up from that is Aztec Autumn, by Gary Jennings. It's the sequel to Aztec, arguably one of the best works of historical fiction.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I just hit the used bookstore because they were having a buy one get one sale on horror today only.

Lucky me, I found a trade paperback version of Eye of the World by Robert Jordan, and one of Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. I read almost all of the Wheel of Time stuff before Jordan died, but I've never read Mists.

There's a bunch more, but it's all either horror or silly murder mysteries.

Tolli
Apr 20, 2004

All is full of love!
Just started Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie , like it a lot so far after 100 pages in.

Ignem
Oct 30, 2011

As seems to be a habit of mine I'm reading far to many books at the same time. The most recent though are Camus' Nausea and The Myth of Sisyphus (also by Camus.). Gotta love that existentialism.

MillionsV
Jun 11, 2010

Ignem Aeternem posted:

As seems to be a habit of mine I'm reading far to many books at the same time. The most recent though are Camus' Nausea and The Myth of Sisyphus (also by Camus.). Gotta love that existentialism.

Sartre wrote Nausea, dawg. :eng101:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Tolli posted:

Just started Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie , like it a lot so far after 100 pages in.

Just picked this up on Audible myself, glad to hear some positivity.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
I'm about 80 pages into the new Murakami 1Q84 and I don't know if I can really keep going. 950 pages of slow-moving, bland prose. I'm blown away by the hype this thing is getting. Example from the first page:

quote:

Aomame loved history as much as she loved sports.

Oh boy!

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 31, 2011

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

ShutteredIn posted:

I'm about 80 pages into the new Murakami 1Q84 and I don't know if I can really keep going. 950 pages of slow-moving, bland prose. I'm blown away by the hype this thing is getting. Example from the first page:

Oh boy!

I like the prose mostly but the book is indeed becoming a slog. I'm more than 1100 pages in and things are really starting to drag. Murakami needs to hire a new editor.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Salty. posted:

Got these at the local library's seasonal sale.

Ah, nice! Wish I had God Emperor of Dune! You should definately read Dune at some stage soon; I just finished up the first and second books in the series, and am currently reading the third. Very good series, indeed

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

ShutteredIn posted:

Oh boy!

She must just about poo poo herself for sports history then.

paigeturner
Jul 15, 2011
Ok so, technically, I didn't buy this one it was free, but I just got it and started reading it. Copia just released a free Dracula ebook that has added notes by two Dracula scholars. I sometimes read their free books on my nook, but this one has been worth looking at in their ereader app because the expert notes are pretty interesting. They not only explain antiquated words, but explain references and even compare it to modern vampire stories like True Blood and Twilight. I read Dracula a long time ago, but I thought now was a good time to read it again!

Book is here if you're interested: http://www.thecopia.com/dracula

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Ugh I don't think I can stand anymore 1Q84. Book 3 is just really poorly written. He introduced a new viewpoint taking the already sluggish pace to new lows. There's just too many dream sequences and flashbacks. It doesn't help at all that the character in the new viewpoint is badly presented. Murakami seems to make a cardinal sin with respect to character introduction and just serves up the character's traits and backstory raw in a few slabs of text instead of characterizing him through his actions.

I'm going to go cleanse myself with a copy of The Idiot (Pevear/Volokhonsky) I've been meaning to read.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
This plus creepy creepy author self insertion and dumb cultural references was my Murakami experience.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I started re-reading James Halperin's The Truth Machine. It's 15 years old now and it's a trip reading it now considering some of the predictions (President Al Gore, the nuking of Baghdad, Belgrade, & Sarajevo, etc). There was talk of a movie, but it never came to fruition.

If you'd like to read it, it's available as a free download. Yeah, I know, that's a weird website to be offering it, but it appears to be a clean file (MSE did not go nuts).

Chew Toy
Nov 28, 2010

I'm unhappy, Jon.
I'm about 30% into The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and I'm still waiting for the plot to start. It's not that I don't enjoy chapter after chapter of descriptions of people's clothing and long winded family histories and lots of effort put towards making a character look super ooky spooky gothity goth. It's more that I don't really like a book that still hasn't actually started over a quarter of the way in.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
50 pages into The Storm Of War by Andrew Roberts:

It's fascinating and engagingly written, and I'm learning so much I never knew (my knowledge of 20th century history goes as far as year 10 at high school; I only studied ancient history after that — and even then, the state curriculum here when I went through high-school was heavily focused on Australia only for its 20th century history lessons).

The book is, however, light on illustrations (mainly just has photos of the leaders involved) and definitions, so I'm complementing the narrative with this fat tome that I picked up for 25% of RRP when Borders was dying:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

50 pages into The Storm Of War by Andrew Roberts:

It's fascinating and engagingly written, and I'm learning so much I never knew (my knowledge of 20th century history goes as far as year 10 at high school; I only studied ancient history after that — and even then, the state curriculum here when I went through high-school was heavily focused on Australia only for its 20th century history lessons).

The book is, however, light on illustrations (mainly just has photos of the leaders involved) and definitions, so I'm complementing the narrative with this fat tome that I picked up for 25% of RRP when Borders was dying:

drat, I should've done the same, when Borders spat the dummy, (although I suppose I can't complain; I did get a cople of Andy McNabs, after all! :D) since my WW2 education would be pretty on par with what yours was, plus what I found out in some books and online, for things that were nagging me, and specific stuff that I was interested in/wanted to learn more about. So, how much is the Australian RRP? Worth getting, or should I wait for a sale?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Major Isoor posted:

drat, I should've done the same, when Borders spat the dummy, (although I suppose I can't complain; I did get a cople of Andy McNabs, after all! :D) since my WW2 education would be pretty on par with what yours was, plus what I found out in some books and online, for things that were nagging me, and specific stuff that I was interested in/wanted to learn more about. So, how much is the Australian RRP? Worth getting, or should I wait for a sale?

For the visual guide, RRP was $49.95 so I got it for about $12.50. Pretty drat good for a large-format hardcover of nearly 400 pages.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

For the visual guide, RRP was $49.95 so I got it for about $12.50. Pretty drat good for a large-format hardcover of nearly 400 pages.

drat, that is good! Might have to see if I can find it discounted though; $50 is a fair bit of money, and my entire family seems to think spending much more than $10 for a book is a rip-off, despite all of which being heavy readers. Ah well, at least I know what to keep an eye out for! Thanks

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Re-watched my The Pacific BluRay so decided to give the books it's based on a go.
With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge
Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie

Hope I'll like them as much as Matterhorn. Anyone read all 3 and got some input on that one?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

Re-watched my The Pacific BluRay so decided to give the books it's based on a go.
With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge
Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie

Hope I'll like them as much as Matterhorn. Anyone read all 3 and got some input on that one?
Well, I own all three, but unfortunately the only one I've actually gotten around to reading is With the Old Breed. I can assure you that that one's very good, though! It's one of the best military memoirs I've ever read. It's also a bit different from The Pacific series, too--some details were altered, some things that happened to Sledge in the series weren't in the book (probably from other memoirs they wanted to work with but couldn't devote a whole character to), and some incidents in the book weren't the series.

All in all, I think you'll really enjoy that one, at least. :)

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I just started (and am about 5 chapters into) the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson. So far I'm enjoying it; I don't often go for biographies but this one is engaging and interesting.

Next on my list is Roger Ebert's autobiography...so I guess I'm on a biography kick these days.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

overdesigned posted:

I just started (and am about 5 chapters into) the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson. So far I'm enjoying it; I don't often go for biographies but this one is engaging and interesting.
The problem I had with the new Jobs biography is that a lot of the stories were already covered in books like Infinite Loop and Insanely Great. There's some new material about his earlier years (a lot of which either came from Jobs himself or from people reacting to/rebutting what he told Isaacson), but it's not until you get to the post-iPod years that it really kicks off if you're familiar with the history of Apple.

Still a fascinating read, though. The downside is that it will encourage certain types of business people to act more like assholes on the grounds that "it worked for Steve Jobs", without having any of his genuine vision and obsessive perfectionism. Behaving like Steve Jobs is one thing if you've founded a massively successful global company from the ground up, another entirely if you manage a call centre.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I started reading A People's History of the United States. I am about 4 chapters in, and am simply amazed so far. This really is a good read.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm about 30 pages into Out Of Oz by Gregory Maguire.
Unsurprisingly, it feels very similar to his other Wicked Years books.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 2, 2011

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I just finished The Road, and since I like to switch between fiction and non-fiction, I'm reading Ghost Wars by Steve Coll right now. This book (well, excerpts) was assigned reading for me in undergrad, and since I never cracked it open, I'd might as well read it leisurely now.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Tailored Sauce posted:

I started reading A People's History of the United States. I am about 4 chapters in, and am simply amazed so far. This really is a good read.

Yeah, that's a classic right there.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just started Abercrombies Best Served Cold, and have Into Thin Air (about climbing Mt Everest) on deck based on high goon recommendations in another thread.

e: Just finished Abercrombie's The Last Argument of Kings and thus the First Law Trilogy, would definitely recommend to anyone that's into low fantasy.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 3, 2011

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
Abou 80% through Chuck Klosterman's The Visible Man - probably the most interesting thing I've read in a while. Recently finished his first novel Downtown Owl as well.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I just snagged The Night Eternal by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan. I'm trying to hurry up and finish Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. I really am not digging it half as much as Gaiman's other works. It just seems like the writing style is a bad copy of Hitchhikers Guide.... It's a kind of entertaining story but it just jumps around so much. I'll be glad when I finish it. I really want to see how The Strain Trilogy will end.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

cptn_dr posted:

I'm about 30 pages into Out Of Oz by Gregory Maguire.
Unsurprisingly, it feels very similar to his other Wicked Years books.

About 400 pages in now. So much better than the last 2 already, really glad he didn't use the present day/flashback framing device that he relied on in the last two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010
I am listening to the Steve Jobs book. It's great.

• Locked thread