Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I got the Shimmering Cloak and since have had 12 consecutive successful cattle raids. Is it really that overpowered or have I been really lucky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I got the Shimmering Cloak and since have had 12 consecutive successful cattle raids. Is it really that overpowered or have I been really lucky?

From what I read in the unofficial FAQ linked on the game's web site, the cloak helps with evasion. I take that to mean using the Evade tactic in battle, not necessarily cattle raids. I think you're just blessed by Orlanth.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Guess so. I checked the rest of my treasures but nothing else seems like it would have any effect on cattle raids. I guess I'll just stop asking questions and ride this heater until it's over.

edit: It might also help that I hosed up the tribes I've been cattle raiding in the past so they're probably pretty weak.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Is it me or are thralls nothing but trouble and really not worth keeping? I picked them for some cool events but all I get are events wanting me to get rid of them. I can't even properly sacrifice the dudes cause people would get mad!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Are you not a traditionally thrall-keeping clan? I used them frequently and never had problems although I usually didn't have more than like 20 or so.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
They also just generally stir up poo poo but yeah if you didn't pick thrall-taking at clan creation don't ever use them.

They're not a very impressive benefit anyway and you get morale/magic bonuses for freeing them if that's in line with your history, so

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I used thrall taking as a solution to population problems. Who needs babies?

CodenamePink
Jan 27, 2011
I love this game! I bought it around 12am last night... started playing and next thing I knew it was 4am!

Also... im having difficulty being anything but a waring clan/tribe etc..

Just a quick question... How the hell do i deal with the Cragspider Troll up north... no matter what i pick she kills my guys and i get nothing out of it?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

CodenamePink posted:

I love this game! I bought it around 12am last night... started playing and next thing I knew it was 4am!

Also... im having difficulty being anything but a waring clan/tribe etc..

Just a quick question... How the hell do i deal with the Cragspider Troll up north... no matter what i pick she kills my guys and i get nothing out of it?

She is literally a god, you can't kill her and if you antagonize her enough she murders your whole clan i guess.

CodenamePink
Jan 27, 2011

andrew smash posted:

She is literally a god, you can't kill her and if you antagonize her enough she murders your whole clan i guess.

So just dont send guys up north basicly...?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Davincie posted:

Is it me or are thralls nothing but trouble and really not worth keeping? I picked them for some cool events but all I get are events wanting me to get rid of them. I can't even properly sacrifice the dudes cause people would get mad!

If you're a thrall-keeping clan it means that a bunch of events get you both magic and free labor, and thralls make your cottars quite a bit happier. Your economy will be a little bit swingier, since though you get events that give you magic and free labor, you also get a bunch of "BTW some dudes broke in and liberated our thralls" and such. Thralls make you richer, but because of the whole 'thralls being periodically liberated' thing, you shouldn't lean on them as a major source of wealth like cows or ritual knowledge. Like hunters, they're useful for what they are, just remember that they aren't the lifeblood of your clan.

Pretty much every god will respond to blood sacrifice with "WHAT YOU rear end in a top hat" so don't do it, though i think Malia and possibly Maran Gor would be cool with it. Eurmal, and only Eurmal, will take sacrificed trolls, so that's neat.

andrew smash posted:

If you can reliably heroquest the bonus magic from having the 'right' person be your clan chief doesn't really make any difference.

If you can "reliably" heroquest you don't really have any problems anyway.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

CodenamePink posted:

If your ancestral enemies are Trolls you can feed her useless nobles in exchange for Magic, but otherwise yeah don't send anyone to her territory.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
When you have 6 Ernalda worshippers and only one of them is any good it's time to send them to visit the Cragspider.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I just bought this for my Iphone. I played the crap out of this years ago and still pick it up every now and again.

This is the best thing ever.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
The thing about thralls that sucks is if you get raided and lose they ALL get free. There go your hundreds of free laborers.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I wonder why "free thralls" isn't an option like "Plunder" or "Kill as many as possible" while raiding. Are there any ways to forcibly free someone else's thralls besides that one Horse-Spawn event?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

CodenamePink posted:

She tells you to piss off and not come visit again. Why didn't you listen?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
So I get the thing during sacred magic assignment time where the god-talkers tell me to investigate the NW this year. I do and find some dragonkin statues and whatnot and think all is good but nope, next year they tell me I've failed by not exploring up there. I guess I just didn't go far enough NW or something?

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Flame112 posted:

I wonder why "free thralls" isn't an option like "Plunder" or "Kill as many as possible" while raiding. Are there any ways to forcibly free someone else's thralls besides that one Horse-Spawn event?

By just winning any kind of raid you can free your own but afaik you can't free any others they might have.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Kekekela posted:

So I get the thing during sacred magic assignment time where the god-talkers tell me to investigate the NW this year. I do and find some dragonkin statues and whatnot and think all is good but nope, next year they tell me I've failed by not exploring up there. I guess I just didn't go far enough NW or something?

You need to go pretty far NW, beyond the Dragonnewt lands.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I lose a shitton of nobles exploring.

Is there any way to lose less nobles exploring? I do the sacrifice to Vinga for the paths blessing, sometimes I make her a temple for it(and fyrdwomen), but I still hemorrhage nobles like water through a sieve.

Is there a secret? Should their plants be their highest stat or something?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

rotinaj posted:

I lose a shitton of nobles exploring.

Is there any way to lose less nobles exploring? I do the sacrifice to Vinga for the paths blessing, sometimes I make her a temple for it(and fyrdwomen), but I still hemorrhage nobles like water through a sieve.

Is there a secret? Should their plants be their highest stat or something?

Send enough guards and footmen with them. I always went superparanoid and sent like, ten thanes and 20 footmen, and it prevented them from dying. Randomly, at least.

Random tangent: One thing I've come to really appreciate about this game is the mythology behind it. It was mentioned before, but it really struck me just now as I was reading about different mythologies and found myself wondering why they had left out the Orlanthi stories before I realized that they weren't "real" myths. They don't crib too heavily from authentic mythology, and yet the writers totally managed to capture the "feel" of the old stories. I haven't seen any other fictional work that got down old religious tales and come off as authentic and not just generic fantasy wank.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

When a trader comes asking for a white horse, is there any benefit to giving it her beyond improved relations? I've been waiting for it to trigger another event but it never seems to happen.

Also, is there any way to clear the cave of weird scaly rat monsters that means they won't keep coming back? I've tried every option but they always seem to pop up again a few seasons later.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Sanford posted:

When a trader comes asking for a white horse, is there any benefit to giving it her beyond improved relations? I've been waiting for it to trigger another event but it never seems to happen.

Also, is there any way to clear the cave of weird scaly rat monsters that means they won't keep coming back? I've tried every option but they always seem to pop up again a few seasons later.

I've never figured out how to get rid of the rat things. I always just have my trickster sic them on a neighbor because at least that doesn't leave me with maimed thanes or pissed off carls.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
Re: mythology, I agree completely. Glorantha's mythos feels quite different from almost anything else I've seen in fantasy, and I love it.
Re: the dangers of exploration, sometimes you're just unlucky. Pathfinder definitely helps, as does the previously-mentioned guards. Different regions of the map have different danger levels too, so keep that in mind.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Random tangent: One thing I've come to really appreciate about this game is the mythology behind it. It was mentioned before, but it really struck me just now as I was reading about different mythologies and found myself wondering why they had left out the Orlanthi stories before I realized that they weren't "real" myths. They don't crib too heavily from authentic mythology, and yet the writers totally managed to capture the "feel" of the old stories. I haven't seen any other fictional work that got down old religious tales and come off as authentic and not just generic fantasy wank.

I remember reading one of the writers saying that they went out of their way to make the mythology inconsistent i.e. Runequest has different stuff than KoDP. This was to reflect that mythologies aren't strictly "canonical" like modern fiction, and will sound different when told by different people to different audiences.

Also the rats are just a part of life. Other than having a trickster on the ring there isn't a lot to be done.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Okay I think I hit a bug, I can't recruit any more thanes and I'm slowly neating 0 thanes. In have enough people and my clan is rich ao that isn't the problem, what happened?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Davincie posted:

Okay I think I hit a bug, I can't recruit any more thanes and I'm slowly neating 0 thanes. In have enough people and my clan is rich ao that isn't the problem, what happened?
When you say you're rich I assume you've got horses for them as well?

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
DO you have enough horses? Thanes require those too, not just goods. YOu need enough for all your nobles as well, so if you have very few that might be your issue. I've never ran into a situation I couldn't recruit before, unless it was a shortage of something.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Turns out I lost all my horses in disasters!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

For a new person who mostly just PRESS BUTTONs through a lot of the more touchy legal events, having a Lankor Mhy dude with high Custom on the ring is pretty invaluable. They tend to give excellent advice on how things ought to be done, so if you're not quite into the mindset of a bunch of Scandinavian drunks, they'll carry you through most of the clan administration stuff.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Is there a limit to how many potential ring members you can have at one time? Do I have to send my halfwits to Cragspider if I want new ones?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Oceanbound posted:

Is there a limit to how many potential ring members you can have at one time? Do I have to send my halfwits to Cragspider if I want new ones?

That's what she's there for.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Won my first game ever played in KoDP :toot:

Short game though, now to make a long game and try again

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I was JUST telling my buddy about this game! He's a mac user, but doesn't have an iWhatever. Was there ever a Mac port of the PC original?

On another note: I was already impressed with what I saw of iPad gaming, but the fact that a game as beautifully obscure as this gets ported says a lot about it as a platform.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Digital Osmosis posted:

I was JUST telling my buddy about this game! He's a mac user, but doesn't have an iWhatever. Was there ever a Mac port of the PC original?

On another note: I was already impressed with what I saw of iPad gaming, but the fact that a game as beautifully obscure as this gets ported says a lot about it as a platform.

It's Mac compatible. I don't think they made two separate versions, the CDROM is compatible with Windows or Mac.

There are a few really old franchises that see new life on iOS. Ascendancy was an old 4x game criminally ignored in the past and it works quite well on a touch device.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The old version is mac compatible but requires OS 9 emulation as modern OSX has discontinued the classic environment.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

One of my favorite things about this game was that even if you succeeded at a hero quest you could totally gently caress it up. A big example being if you fail to stop the Storm Bull from killing his brother in Chalana Arroy Heals the Scars. It would cause all kinds of problems with chaos in your game and probably cost you an alliance and a ring member.

There were also other undocumented bits like the storm bull appearing in Orlanth and Aroka and a bunch of weird places you could end up in if you got lost in the realm of the gods.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Has anyone ever managed to succeed at a hero quest after you gently caress up and get left wandering in the realm of the gods? I normally bail at that point and take getting out without dying as the closest I'll come to a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Sanford posted:

Has anyone ever managed to succeed at a hero quest after you gently caress up and get left wandering in the realm of the gods? I normally bail at that point and take getting out without dying as the closest I'll come to a win.

I'm pretty sure getting lost means you've gone irretrievably off the rails of the quest. If you're lucky you can get a treasure out of it, but you're not actually going to succeed at the quest at that point.

• Locked thread