Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/31/new-mechwarrior-game-a-pc-exclusive/

quote:

A few weeks ago we saw signs of life from Piranha Games’ Mechwarrior project, following two years of radio silence. Since then, the Inner Sphere News Twitter account has been teasing images of Mechs, logos, and a possible release date.

Right now, we can tell you that the next Mechwarrior game will be PC-exclusive. We have an Overlord-class Dropship’s worth of information on its way, along with one very big surprise, so check back in two hours when we can tell you more.

Oh my goodness, two hours (well now, an hour and a half) can't go by fast enough :circlefap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

When they get added you get them automatically. Also, you get EXEs, a Steam key, and a Desura key.

How does that work? Is it like I have an account and the games are registered to it and they get added as they come out?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PC exclusive? There is hope yet.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Brace posted:

How does that work? Is it like I have an account and the games are registered to it and they get added as they come out?

Well I guess it's basically like that, but not really. They send you an email with a unique link just for you, and when new stuff is added you can retrieve it from that link. If you register the steam key, all the possible games are registered with it, and even better, if more are added they just appear on your steam account without any key shuffling.

And yes, if you don't feel like buying you can just paste a valid url (which you'll probably find with a minute's googling) into your browser and get all the games.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
You will have a Steam key option if it's available on Steam. If not, then you won't get one. I believe Voxatron is in polished alpha right now. So it's not a finished game yet, but very playable.

I didn't know you can just get the games with a URL. That's a pretty low thing for one to do though.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
When did people give just give up and go "yep, shooters have xp grinds now"?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bobfromsales posted:

Call of Duty 4 was a really refreshing and interesting take on the system. You were competitively viable from the first second you logged on and the continuing influx of shiny new things was a great incentive to keep playing. It was also really fun to mix and match different equipment and perks to find optimal setups for your playstyle. The old system of finding weapons on the map was becoming stale and didn't match the more realistic games and being given everything from the very beginning would have been a little overwhelming, perhaps. I think CoD4 struck a good balance on that design feature.

Now every game under the sun has to ape CoD and have the exact same mechanics, and it's becoming tiring again. I don't know what would be better or what the next big thing will be, but I hope it comes fast.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Bobfromsales posted:

Several years ago.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I just got MoO2 running perfectly inside Boxer, and we're planning a LAN for it. Does anyone know of a good resource/tutorial to get me into the game?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

~Coxy posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I just got MoO2 running perfectly inside Boxer, and we're planning a LAN for it. Does anyone know of a good resource/tutorial to get me into the game?

Check this out. It's not a full guide, but it gives you some good tips. Other than that, you can just right-click (IIRC) on pretty much anything and it'll bring up a handy info box. It's pretty intuitive too, just play a couple AI games & you'll have the feel of the game down.

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010

Bobfromsales posted:

Ones that don't, or only have a couple of unlocks, "lack content" and have no "staying power" according to the idiots who publishers cater to.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
The best goddamn multiplayer online shooter was Joint Ops. :colbert:

No obnoxious grind, huge servers, and being a Novalogic game there were all kinds of hilarious bugs.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Bobfromsales posted:

The worst part is that some games took this way too far and start you out with the bare minimum. You don't even get the cherry on top of the pile of poo poo. Hope you enjoy a crap pistol and weak generic rifle until you grind enough.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

averox posted:

The worst part is that some games took this way too far and start you out with the bare minimum. You don't even get the cherry on top of the pile of poo poo. Hope you enjoy a crap pistol and weak generic rifle until you grind enough.
Battlefield 3 almost went down this road with aircraft (latecomers to the jet grind in the beta were dominated badly), but in response to complaints about this, the release version drastically lowered the EXP requirement for IR Flares to only 300 -- or as one of the devs characterized it, "if you're not incompetent, you get flares" -- which can be gotten in a single good vehicle kill or even just three disables (100 EXP for a vehicle disable, I believe 100 for the vehicle being destroyed, and 100 per player inside).

MAG at least "did it right": doing the tutorial grants 100 EXP which is enough to level a just-created character. Assuming you don't put your EXP anywhere else, at level 3 you can buy the Medi-kit so that you can immediately heal others and revive people to half-health, at level 4 approximately three-fourths health, and at level 5 to full health... and any of these generates EXP more consistently than kills.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I contend that MAG still did it wrong. TF2 does it the best, but I still think there's room for improvement, especially given some of the updates.

In a shooter, everyone should be able to play the game and compete right from the get go. There will always be skill discriminators, but the edge shouldn't come simply from having a weapon/ability that is strictly better than someone else.

EXP is icing on the cake. A cool player model. A different sound or model for your gun that looks rad. Replace the soundtrack with your own songs. Bonus videos. Silly bot behavior. A comic strip. I mean, whatever.

Anyone could argue that all this should be available right from the start, but let's face it: a lot of folks like the feeling of progressing toward a goal. And it does support the replayability factor a bit. But if you can still enjoy and get a lot out of the game with stock options, these things don't seem like a barrier.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Uhh content. I finished off FF2/4 for the SNES. Man, the different an emulator makes. Not for save states, but just for getting through battles a little faster.

I clocked in at 22 hours according to FF2. I remember it taking a lot longer than that, probably because I was a kid and because it probably did. Still, I find I really quite enjoyed the old schoolness of it.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

crestfallen posted:

I contend that MAG still did it wrong. TF2 does it the best, but I still think there's room for improvement, especially given some of the updates.

In a shooter, everyone should be able to play the game and compete right from the get go. There will always be skill discriminators, but the edge shouldn't come simply from having a weapon/ability that is strictly better than someone else.

Here, I fixed it: Start with medkit, unlock gun.

Kablamo!!!

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

Dudebro posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com

New Voxatron bundle. Looks like a platforming/shooter/adventure version of 3D Dot Game Heroes.

Includes Voxatron for now, but probably also the Binding of Isaac, Blocks That Matter, and a soundtrack for Voxatron?

Oh man, I would have to buy the Binding of Isaac today on steam (right after buying the humble bundle when it only had Voxatron).

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
"Unlocks" should be saved for only cosmetic items, developers rely on the system we have in place now so so much and try to pass it off as "content".

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

For all the hubbub about how BF3 was going to be a showcase of PC horsepower, I'm surprised at how easily my computer seems to be handling it, it doesn't break a sweat.
On the other hand a Three Mile Island event happens after scrolling around the campaign map for 5 minutes in Shogun 2.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

smooth jazz posted:

For all the hubbub about how BF3 was going to be a showcase of PC horsepower, I'm surprised at how easily my computer seems to be handling it, it doesn't break a sweat.
On the other hand a Three Mile Island event happens after scrolling around the campaign map for 5 minutes in Shogun 2.

Great feedback since you've told us nothing about your computer.

For content, here are some BF 3 benchmarks.

http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-performance/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063.html

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

jassi007 posted:

Great feedback since you've told us nothing about your computer.

Right, it's a 2500k, GTX580 and 8gb ram, nothing overclocked and optimized for silence so there's only 2 low speed case fans. Res is 1920x1080.

I'm running BF3 at ultra except AA and shadows are on medium.
Shogun2 with ultra settings, AA and shadows on medium.

Color me surprised, that's all.

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:

smooth jazz posted:

Right, it's a 2500k, GTX580 and 8gb ram, nothing overclocked and optimized for silence so there's only 2 low speed case fans. Res is 1920x1080.

Whoa bf3 runs great on a top of the line, high end computer? Color me surprised as well!!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

smooth jazz posted:

That's the best single card GPU on the market and you're running at 1080p. It's not exactly shocking that it performs well.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
So you're surprised that the most expensive single-GPU card on the market right now isn't taxed by a game that's not running maxed out?

AA is the most demanding thing you can ask of a GPU. So when you turn it down, you're asking your incredibly powerful card to do less work. Even at 8xAA or whatever the max BF3 supports, no, your $500 video card won't be really taxed. That's why it's $500. Most people wouldn't buy that card

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

smooth jazz posted:

If the game were developed solely for the PC market and was never planned on having a console release I'm sure PC's would have a harder time with it than they currently are. Consoles are to thank and blame for the fact that you can have a 2 year old computer and still run things on turbo ultra mode or close to.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

smooth jazz posted:

Get Metro 2033 and we can talk.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

nickhimself posted:

If the game were developed solely for the PC market and was never planned on having a console release I'm sure PC's would have a harder time with it than they currently are. Consoles are to thank and blame for the fact that you can have a 2 year old computer and still run things on turbo ultra mode or close to.

Yes how terrible that we don't have to drop $200-300 every 6 months just to be able to play the latest games like half a decade ago. drat consoles :argh:

e: Before someone jumps on me, I'm totally ready for the next wave of consoles to come out already and agree that plenty of games end up being dragged down by having to focus on their console versions. I just think it's kind of funny that some people (not you specifically, mostly on other forums) are legitimately mad that graphics have finally plateaued a little so that people can actually use their computers to play games for more than a year before being completely behind.

VDay fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 3, 2011

Bobulot
May 7, 2007

smooth jazz posted:

Same thing here, running BF3 for hours and hours and my gpu temp doesn't go beyond 75C, load up Shogun 2 and I'm hitting 90C on the campaign map. Try enabling vsync, forcing the game to cap at 60FPS helped my temperatures a lot.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Graphics haven't plateaued a little, they've plateaued a lot. The current generation of consoles is over 4 years old now; my PC is about twice as powerful (if not more) than a 360. It's annoying that games don't take full advantage of PCs, especially when it's just lazy developers not optimizing their engines.

You never had to drop $300 on a new GPU every 6 months. That never happened. There used to be actual competition for graphics, with developers competing to see who could wring the most out of consumers' machines. That's mostly gone now, and we're the poorer for it.

Also, I think Shogun 2 is just really shittily optimized, where Battlefield 3 is not.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Bobulot posted:

Same thing here, running BF3 for hours and hours and my gpu temp doesn't go beyond 75C, load up Shogun 2 and I'm hitting 90C on the campaign map. Try enabling vsync, forcing the game to cap at 60FPS helped my temperatures a lot.

Yup, that's what I was getting at. Shogun 2 is a tough game to run on high/max settings.
Without vsync, all my fans would ramp up to ludicrous speed and I was getting temp warnings on my mobo. Vsync helped alot.

On BF3, my GPU fans never exceed 1200rpm. Don't get me wrong, the whole affair looks lovely.

I wonder why more review sites don't use Shogun2 as a benchmark. Guess it's just not that popular...

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 3, 2011

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011

Blackula69 posted:

Metro 2033 was a great looking game but to me not so that it surpassed BF3 miles ahead. When ever there was a tonne of phys x involved (blowing a grenade) it was beautiful but lagged the hell out of my PC, to me any moments of lag was moreso bad optimisation/coding rather than being a benchmark for pc games.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
The 8800GT I had in my old E8400 system that's hooked up to my HDTV crapped out but I managed to get a HD6850 for a good price ($140 on newegg) and it runs great so far but is there anything I need to know since this is the first Radeon card I've owned in seven years? My only critique of it so far is that its not as overclockable as the GTX460 that's in my main 2500K system but I'm just nit-picking there. It still runs console ports and games that don't need quad-core wonderfully.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Blackula69 posted:

Or Crysis 2 with the DX 11 / ultra textures pack, on highest. I always thought that Metro 2033 was the prettiest game ever untill I reinstalled Crysis 2 and patched it. It's so demanding even my 2500k / Radeon 5970 doesn't manage it well on highest, at 1920x1200 :stare:

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
One issue I have with battlefield 3 is the use of VRAM. It's a real hog. Running at 2560 x 1600 is a killer especially if you try using AA. I have an 'enthusiast' system, i7 980x OC to 4.4' 12 gb RAM, SSD drive and TRI 580's at 940mhz and this does not run as smoothly as I like on ultra with AA due to VRAM, yes maybe the 3gb versions would be better but come on. Even without AA there is something I can't place my finger on in the fluidity of the game. It is totally playable (fraps says 60) and it's just my OCD but something isn't right. And it's not the system it's running on nor micro stutter. Might be server side.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

"Enthusiast" :stare: That is a ridiculously powerful pc at a very high resolution.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Wait, TRI 580's? Does that mean three of them? Or do you mean SLI?

...aren't those like $450 each or something?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Only 3 GTX 580s? No wonder you're having issues. Try upgrading, newb.

Seriously, though, it might be microstutter - just not related to the use of SLI. There have been quite a few people complaining about something being off running the game in Ultra on some setups even though the framerate counter is solid, like weird hiccups in how it's refreshing or something. I don't know how to describe it other than how it reminds me of microstutter in a way. Maybe it just needs another driver update or two.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

smooth jazz posted:

Yup, that's what I was getting at. Shogun 2 is a tough game to run on high/max settings.
Without vsync, all my fans would ramp up to ludicrous speed and I was getting temp warnings on my mobo. Vsync helped alot.

On BF3, my GPU fans never exceed 1200rpm. Don't get me wrong, the whole affair looks lovely.

I wonder why more review sites don't use Shogun2 as a benchmark. Guess it's just not that popular...

Most games they used as benchmarks are games that stress a graphics card, like BF3. Shogun 2 is a game that is cpu dependant, its not a graphically rich game, it just has a ton of poo poo going on as far as calculations. You are correct though that it just isn't as popular, when they want to benchmark a cpu for gaming, you'll see a lot of Civ V and Starcraft 2 benches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."

kuddles posted:

Only 3 GTX 580s? No wonder you're having issues. Try upgrading, newb.

Seriously, though, it might be microstutter - just not related to the use of SLI. There have been quite a few people complaining about something being off running the game in Ultra on some setups even though the framerate counter is solid, like weird hiccups in how it's refreshing or something. I don't know how to describe it other than how it reminds me of microstutter in a way. Maybe it just needs another driver update or two.

Yeah I figured it could be driver optimization as a lot of people, myself included, are getting green flashes sometimes. What you said about the refresh is making sense. I suppose it is early days and driver optimization will increase overtime.

• Locked thread