Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Turning off the frame limiter causes some bugs to appear in the GTA3 era games. In San Andreas you swim and dive extremely slowly making one of the oysters impossible to get without dying. Also, you cannot do the 2 wheel drive part of the driving school without taking 1% damage so you can't get the gold.

The bugs may be machine dependant but I had those bugs happen all the time and the frame limiter fixed them. This is on the retail version of San Andreas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
I was impressed how good SA looked to be honest, it doesn't look bad at all with everything cranked up high on a PC.

GTAIII looks terrible nowadays, and VC is saved by its visual style which GTAIII lacks.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I just tried SA again with the frame-limiter on, and still crashing randomly. gently caress this steam version! Funny how you want to badly play games you can't.......ones from 2004 at that.....

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.
Has anybody downloaded GTA:SA from Xbox Live? I was wondering if they upped the draw distance for the 360 or if it'll be identical to the old Xbox version. SA is the only GTA I never had much of a chance to play and I'm kinda getting the urge.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Terraplane posted:

Has anybody downloaded GTA:SA from Xbox Live? I was wondering if they upped the draw distance for the 360 or if it'll be identical to the old Xbox version. SA is the only GTA I never had much of a chance to play and I'm kinda getting the urge.

I haven't played it but I'm pretty sure they optimize it and test the hell out of it to make sure it works. Normally if there are issues or they can't get a certain feature to work they tell you in the description.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Next Media Animation (those Taiwanese news people who did the really hilarious even though it was supposed to be serious animations of Tiger Woods getting the poo poo beat out of him by his wife, the Jet Blue escape ramp incident, etc.) have done an animation for the news story of the upcoming GTA V trailer.

It's basically :wtc: in a video. Watch the video here.

It was great for a morning laugh. Kinda reminds me of Bully, though.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

That Awful Nick posted:

Next Media Animation (those Taiwanese news people who did the really hilarious even though it was supposed to be serious animations of Tiger Woods getting the poo poo beat out of him by his wife, the Jet Blue escape ramp incident, etc.) have done an animation for the news story of the upcoming GTA V trailer.

It's basically :wtc: in a video. Watch the video here.

It was great for a morning laugh. Kinda reminds me of Bully, though.

This seriously looks like something Rockstar would put in as a TV show.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

I was impressed how good SA looked to be honest, it doesn't look bad at all with everything cranked up high on a PC.

GTAIII looks terrible nowadays, and VC is saved by its visual style which GTAIII lacks.
You should install the Xbox textures for GTA3. Improves the graphics but I certainly didnt think the game looked terrible without it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

simosimo posted:

Really?

I tried with the frame limiter on and it still messes up. 25fps is so so bad :(

No lock ups at all for me when I used it, I was pretty drat happy getting to San Fierro at last.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

simosimo posted:

I just tried SA again with the frame-limiter on, and still crashing randomly. gently caress this steam version! Funny how you want to badly play games you can't.......ones from 2004 at that.....

Google around a bit, 3-era games had a tendacy to have some weird bugs at launch that usually had a fix by installing some random windows update.
Steam version and disked version work great for me on a modern system so.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Terraplane posted:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think all the downloadable Xbox Originals are just straight-up images of the original xbox discs. So you might be better finding the disc version for half the cost.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Terraplane posted:

I have and it's pretty much the exact same as an xbox disk of the game. It run great for me, no stuttering or bugs that I've run into.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Trailer comes out at noon tomorrow. I hope for a lot of mirrors because the Rockstar site will probably crash at about 12:01.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
The best part of GTA4 was the video editor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9kHplATmis

This is my only accomplishment that made it to the internet. Hope this gets expanded on in the next game.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Racistman3D is king of GTA videos.

And also Carmageddon.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Himuro posted:

Let's talk about our favorite GTAIV characters. Out of all of the dates Niko has, Michelle gets top marks. When I first played the game, I predicted she was a cop due to her snooping around Niko's business all the time. Still, when she brings him in and betrays him and Little Jacob while on a mission, you could tell she still kind of fell for the guy despite the act.

Never saw it coming; thought it was just a Neuro Yorkish stereotype of some nosy broad.

Himuro posted:

I think The Lost and the Damned and how it weaves with GTAIV to be utterly fantastic. The fates of the characters, and watching this urban tragedy spiral out of control was absolutely nuts.

Replaying GTAIV to see how it all fits makes me love TLAD even more.

Yeah it's great how the episodes lock in. Really like when you start TBOGT and recognise the various other characters zoom by as Luis walks away from the bank.

Boba Phat
Feb 19, 2003

Deal With It

ElwoodCuse posted:

Trailer comes out at noon tomorrow. I hope for a lot of mirrors because the Rockstar site will probably crash at about 12:01.

Noon in what timezone?

Edit: EST

Boba Phat fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 1, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm liking GTAIV a lot more on my replay. I mean, I liked it a lot before, but was more conflicted towards it. I'm doing the Playboy/Dwayne set, just finished the Elizabeta set, and now I've unlocked Packie and Francis. I think this is the part where GTAIV is at its best, when the missions really open up and offer up constantly unique set pieces.

Concentrating solely on the story and ignoring the friends really brings up my enjoyment of the game.

If GTAV has influences from RDR, I think it'll really be something special.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Himuro posted:

Concentrating solely on the story and ignoring the friends really brings up my enjoyment of the game.

I really think that Rockstar expected players to largely ignore their friends. It actually makes the story feel a bit richer, because as time goes on Nico gradually begins to alienate everyone.

Nico is actually kind of a weird character if you keep up all of your friendships. *kills 100 people* "Sure, I have time for darts!!"

And really, the fact that I felt guilty the first few times I said "no" to Roman really showcases the strength of the characters. I felt guilty for telling a video game character I didn't want to play darts with it.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 1, 2011

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
I decided to finally 100% GTA3 in honor of its tenth anniversary. I'm doing all of the side jobs before tackling the story because last time I got to 96% and realized there was no way I could ever complete the ambulance mission with every gang in the city after me. This game is still amazingly fun in spite of all its clunkiness and bad decisions.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I'm late to car chat but the Futo GT was pretty fun:

Pretty durable, too:

:haw:

I really hope the next game has a drat revolver though, it was so fun in Vice City :(

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

And really, the fact that I felt guilty the first few times I said "no" to Roman really showcases the strength of the characters. I felt guilty for telling a video game character I didn't want to play darts with it.

He hangs out with Brucie to go see some BIIIG AMERICAN TIIITIES down at the night clubs instead if it makes you feel better.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Polo-Rican posted:

I really think that Rockstar expected players to largely ignore their friends.

This makes sense, especially in Roman's case. Niko is loyal to Roman and would do anything to keep him alive, but keeping him alive requires Niko to kill people and commit crimes. Roman becomes a burden to Niko because of this, so you'd expect him to throw the phone out the window when he gets a call to go bowling while Niko is out dealing with poo poo that would not exist without Roman.

If most people felt that same conflicting loyalty as you and I did, then "Hey Niko let's go bowling!" was a pretty drat good plot-device to make the player sympathize with the protagonist.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Himuro posted:

I'm liking GTAIV a lot more on my replay. I mean, I liked it a lot before, but was more conflicted towards it. I'm doing the Playboy/Dwayne set, just finished the Elizabeta set, and now I've unlocked Packie and Francis. I think this is the part where GTAIV is at its best, when the missions really open up and offer up constantly unique set pieces.
For me, GTAIV doesn't start to drag until it almost exclusively becomes about the mafia. Last time I played, I maintained every friendship, dated every girlfriend, did every side-quest. Once I was spending most of my time in Alderny, the game became a chore. I just found the mafia characters incredibly boring.

I also found Alderny really boring. I understand that it might be weird to not have a New Jersey analogue and it helped set up a rough three act structure. Still, I'd rather that they had just made Bohan, Broker, and Dukes a bit bigger.

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome

Timeless Appeal posted:

For me, GTAIV doesn't start to drag until it almost exclusively becomes about the mafia. Last time I played, I maintained every friendship, dated every girlfriend, did every side-quest. Once I was spending most of my time in Alderny, the game became a chore. I just found the mafia characters incredibly boring.

I also found Alderny really boring. I understand that it might be weird to not have a New Jersey analogue and it helped set up a rough three act structure. Still, I'd rather that they had just made Bohan, Broker, and Dukes a bit bigger.

I totally agree. I bought GTA4 in the Steam sale last week, and finished it yesterday. I just didn't care about the Mafia at the end, and it didn't help that I couldn't really keep the characters seperate in my head. Couldn't keep straight in my head who was good Mafia and who was bad Mafia, and how all the characters were connected. That took away a lot of the impact from the ending as well, because I wasn't sure why it should end there. Why are we free to make money now again?

I think it would've been better to make killing that Mafia guy the second last quest, then having the Darko revenge quest be the final one. The ending would still feel empty, but that was sort of the point of that quest anyway, might've had more impact that way.

Still had fun up to that point though. So much fun that I played it for like 13 hours yesterday, and only the last 3 or so felt like I was just waiting for the game to finish.

On to the expansions!

Poodlebear
Aug 24, 2006

but if y'all put
feathers on a dog
that don't make it
no chicken
I've had GTAIV for a while on PS3 but I never bothered to buy those expansions. Are they worth it for 20$ each on PSN? Is there a cheaper way to get a hold of them? I'd like to get all caught up before GTAV comes out.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Poodlebear posted:

I've had GTAIV for a while on PS3 but I never bothered to buy those expansions. Are they worth it for 20$ each on PSN? Is there a cheaper way to get a hold of them? I'd like to get all caught up before GTAV comes out.

You can get them on Amazon for $16 for both on disc, it's called "Episodes from Liberty City".

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I think both are definitely worth snapping up. Gay tony was especially great and re introduced some gta fun!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Up to the Mafia part I loved GTA4, but the mafia part really dragged on way too long.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

potential spoiler for tomorrow?

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/10/grand-theft-auto-v-will-be-set-in-los-angeles-may-star-multiple-characters/

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

That got brought up a few times, the consensus is that it sounds cool but Kotaku is a very bad source so we didn't take it as 100% reliable.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Zedd posted:

Up to the Mafia part I loved GTA4, but the mafia part really dragged on way too long.

That and how the characters from the beginning (mostly Roman) just kinda dropped out of the picture make me dislike that part as well.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

simosimo posted:

I think both are definitely worth snapping up. Gay tony was especially great and re introduced some gta fun!

TLAD was awesome too. They got the biker thing down pretty well for it, it was a fun change.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I had the same experience. What I think we can draw from this is: gently caress New Jersey.

fake edit: Really, though, I think it has to do with the fact that you get the most interesting/crazy characters and locations earlier in the game, it just starts to look tame by comparison.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

You can get them on Amazon for $16 for both on disc, it's called "Episodes from Liberty City".

I like that Rockstar didn't skimp on what's just a collection of two DLCs. The disc version includes a new foldout poster/map with all the new locations on it. There's also three additional radio stations on it (including Vice City FM, the best station).

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome

yerrow peril posted:

I had the same experience. What I think we can draw from this is: gently caress New Jersey.

I hated driving around that last area too. There was no straight main streets running for the length of it.

Although, I think that the public phone assassin missions were really fun. Kind of anti-climactic though, as the final one wasn't that crazy, and there was no pay off. He just stops working with you. :(

Love Shovel
Apr 25, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

I really hope the next game has a drat revolver though, it was so fun in Vice City :(

This. I was bummed that neither of the expansions added a six shooter. The automatic magnum was not a good consolation.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Personally, I felt that GTAIV started to dip a little into Packie's mission set. I couldn't stand the McReary's.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Awww, I blew up a Security Van earlier in SA and expecting free money all I got was a charred hulk :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The bank heist mission with all those guys was absolutely insane and probably the peak of that whole game. Then nothing after that comes close to being as huge as that mission.

• Locked thread