Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....
Just a little heads up: FolderEnhancer works fine on ios5. That is until you do something that triggers safe mode in mobilesubstrate, then it shits out all your icons from your folders like a grenade has gone off! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

m0isty posted:

Just a little heads up: FolderEnhancer works fine on ios5. That is until you do something that triggers safe mode in mobilesubstrate, then it shits out all your icons from your folders like a grenade has gone off! :(

The icon spew persists after reboot? It did that before but in this case reboot (or tethered just boot) doesn't fix things?

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

Arrowsmith posted:

The icon spew persists after reboot? It did that before but in this case reboot (or tethered just boot) doesn't fix things?

Nope, gotta spend ages putting them all back by hand. I read somewhere "Backboard" can save your icon/folder positions and restore after this sort of thing. I've installed it, but didn't fancy risking a test as I've had to unfuck my poo poo 3 times already!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Fair warning iPad(2?) owners. I did what I always do to my iPad 2 Jailbroken on 4.3.3... I went into Cydia and applied all updates (there were 9 tonight) and now all my icons are small (I had shrink, but not active) and out of their folders... and the keyboard is tiny like it's formatted for iPhone and any single app I press reboots the device.

So long jailbreak I guess. Hello iOS5, I suppose.

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
I'm wondering if having a large "Other" side effects the way the iPhone is backed up to iCloud. I have a 16GB iPhone and it apparently needs 7.5GB of iCloud space - even when hardly any app is synced. My other is 5.8GB. Frustrating.

What the hell.

TheChipmunk fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 30, 2011

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Is there a general consensus on what the best winterboard theme is or is it all just down to personal preference?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Is there a general consensus on what the best winterboard theme is or is it all just down to personal preference?

It's absolutely personal preference. Popular ones include Glasklart (see picture in the op), Suave, Matte Nano, and Typophone 4 (lock screen only).

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

edit: fixed, nevermind.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 31, 2011

DahtBard
Jan 7, 2011

Well, that's one way to do it.
Quick bizarre question: I have a Verizon Droid X2 and there's one funny little issue that's been going on for about a week. I have a contact (let's call him Matt) who has an iPhone 4. His number is 281-XXX-XXXX. Now randomly, whenever he texts me, I instead get the message from 291-XXX-XXXX, which is a random landline. If I try and text the 291 number back, I get the standard "Hey genius, this is a landline, want a voicemail instead?" text response. Whenever he texts me a picture or video however, I do get the message from his number. The strangest part however, is when I text his number (281), it appears to to auto-forward it to the 291 number, or at least that's where the record is kept in my texting menu.

I've never heard of anything like this, any suggestions?
(also posted in the Android thread, they had no idea)

edit: His iPhone is indeed jailbroken, for the record.

DahtBard fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 31, 2011

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DahtBard posted:

Quick bizarre question: I have a Verizon Droid X2 and there's one funny little issue that's been going on for about a week. I have a contact (let's call him Matt) who has an iPhone 4. His number is 281-XXX-XXXX. Now randomly, whenever he texts me, I instead get the message from 291-XXX-XXXX, which is a random landline. If I try and text the 291 number back, I get the standard "Hey genius, this is a landline, want a voicemail instead?" text response. Whenever he texts me a picture or video however, I do get the message from his number. The strangest part however, is when I text his number (281), it appears to to auto-forward it to the 291 number, or at least that's where the record is kept in my texting menu.

I've never heard of anything like this, any suggestions?
(also posted in the Android thread, they had no idea)
Is he using Google Voice or something wonky like that?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So I am not sure what is wrong here.

I finally broken down and installed iOS 5 on my 3GS and jailbroke it with redsn0w. Cydia seemed to install just fine, I had to reboot and set redsn0w to boot it tethered. In Windows it won't detect my iPhone in DFU at all, in OSX it will and I can reboot the phone. Problem is it is not jailbroken once it is rebooted.

Any ideas on what is wrong and how to fix it?

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Resident Turbo Hayabusa Expert
Anyone on iPhone 4 installed SIRI yet?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ReidStylez posted:

Anyone on iPhone 4 installed SIRI yet?

I thought the team that got it working wasn't going to release it because it would be :filez:. Did that change?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I thought the team that got it working wasn't going to release it because it would be :filez:. Did that change?

Yes and no. You can enable the GUI for Siri already. Not entirely sure what you can do with it but hey it's there. To get the voice part of it working (aka the point of having Siri) you need to basically spoof Apple's servers into thinking you're using a 4S which they did by copying the 4S's chain or key or [insert explanation here] which is why they can't release it. You'd end up with tons of 4's pinging the server as the same device which I imagine would raise a big red flag.

Given the way Apple has set things up, I doubt you'll ever see Siri on anything but a 4S (and iPad 2 soon) unless Apple themselves open it to other devices once it leaves the beta stage.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I was actually saddened when I got my iPad 2 and holding the Home button did nothing. I've been use to the Voice control since 2009, and found VoiceActivator to be quite fun.

My 3GS and I were having HAL9000 conversations a long time ago. :3:

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

copying the 4S's chain or key or [insert explanation here] which is why they can't release it. You'd end up with tons of 4's pinging the server as the same device which I imagine would raise a big red flag.

I can't believe I didn't realize that's how they would have it setup. The only way you could have it work is if you can convince a friend with a 4S to give you his key file, and hope he doesn't share it with enough people to red flag everyone.

It's kind of like account sharing in World of Warcraft, if that helps anyone who's confused.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

maduin posted:

Typophone 4 (lock screen only).

I'd love to use this, but the lock screen clock hider doesn't work in iOS 5 yet :(

Finally got my phone looking like I want it to though. Suave HD is a real nice theme and people have made a shitton of icons for it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yes and no. You can enable the GUI for Siri already. Not entirely sure what you can do with it but hey it's there. To get the voice part of it working (aka the point of having Siri) you need to basically spoof Apple's servers into thinking you're using a 4S which they did by copying the 4S's chain or key or [insert explanation here] which is why they can't release it. You'd end up with tons of 4's pinging the server as the same device which I imagine would raise a big red flag.

Given the way Apple has set things up, I doubt you'll ever see Siri on anything but a 4S (and iPad 2 soon) unless Apple themselves open it to other devices once it leaves the beta stage.
It's too bad Siri needs a data connection for everything. I'd settle for just the local features like being able to dictate text messages, set alarms/reminders, etc. Basically an expanded version of the existing voice control.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bawfuls posted:

It's too bad Siri needs a data connection for everything. I'd settle for just the local features like being able to dictate text messages, set alarms/reminders, etc. Basically an expanded version of the existing voice control.
I don't think that's possible even with ~1GHz dual core local CPU. Ever try Dragon Dictate on a PC even with a 4GHz quad core and 16GB RAM and notice how lovely the recognition accuracy is compared to Siri? Siri has custom hardware at the backend (CPU, GPU: meet SPU, speech processing unit.) It'll probably be a while before small mobile devices (or even PCs) have comprable SPUs.

Sure you could have the old "voice control" that works OK with a limited set of possible inputs, and it's a shame apple turned that off in ios5, but you need custom hardware speech processors to do what Siri does for general dictation/recognition with the same accuracy and speed.

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

randyest posted:

Sure you could have the old "voice control" that works OK with a limited set of possible inputs, and it's a shame apple turned that off in ios5

Eh? I get Voice Control on my iPhone4 when I hold down the home button long enough.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

mrbill posted:

Eh? I get Voice Control on my iPhone4 when I hold down the home button long enough.

You can get voice control if you don't have iOS 5 or if Siri is not available (because you have disabled it on the 4S or if you are on an older device that doesn't support Siri).

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

furushotakeru posted:

You can get voice control if you don't have iOS 5 or if Siri is not available (because you have disabled it on the 4S or if you are on an older device that doesn't support Siri).

Voice control works fine in iOS5, what are you people smoking.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

randyest posted:

Sure you could have the old "voice control" that works OK with a limited set of possible inputs, and it's a shame apple turned that off in ios5,

Just tried this and the old voice control is still here in ios5.

I've never used it before, so I haughtily commanded my iPhone to "Eat A Dick".

It started playing the Abba medley by the Dan Band. :stare:

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Oh? I don't know -- I have a 4s and was basing that off other posters who said it sucks that they took the old voice control away. Cool if it's still an option!

(But it's still not going to dictate poo poo, which was my point. Although Dragon Dictate will do a decent job on a 3gs/4 but, like siri, it will upload and decode at the cloudy mother ship then pipe back the text.)

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

echobucket posted:

Voice control works fine in iOS5, what are you people smoking.

Ya, that's exactly what I just said dumbass. If Siri is disabled you can use voice control.

furushotakeru fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 1, 2011

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Well I installed a bunch of jailbreaks yesterday, and one of them is making my phone reset itself. Because I have iOS 5, that means gotta re-tether every time! Yay!

Time to uninstall one by one and see if it fixes it :-\

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Well I installed a bunch of jailbreaks yesterday, and one of them is making my phone reset itself. Because I have iOS 5, that means gotta re-tether every time! Yay!

Is your phone literally blipping the screen and rebooting no matter what app you press? I had that happen to my iPad2 (4.3.3) after having Cydia update about 9 Jailbreak apps.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Get SemiTether. If you have to reboot you won't be able to use jailbreak apps that rely on MobileSubstrate, but your phone will still work Vanilla like.

I think you have to add http://thebigboss.org/semitether/ to get it still.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

furushotakeru posted:

Ya, that's exactly what I just said dumbass. If Siri is disabled you can use voice control.

You said (and I quote) "You can get voice control if you don't have iOS5 or if Siri is not available". I took that to mean that you can't get voice control in iOS5.

mewse
May 2, 2006

boy howdy lets derail this thread with an argument about "inclusive" vs "exclusive or"

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

The Aphasian posted:

Get SemiTether. If you have to reboot you won't be able to use jailbreak apps that rely on MobileSubstrate, but your phone will still work Vanilla like.

I think you have to add http://thebigboss.org/semitether/ to get it still.

Just a note that Safari and Mail will not function if you do have to reboot. A work-around for Safari is that other browser still work (but no mail alternative).

But this is still WAY better than the old situation where nothing worked if you rebooted.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Xenomorph posted:

Just a note that Safari and Mail will not function if you do have to reboot. A work-around for Safari is that other browser still work (but no mail alternative).

But this is still WAY better than the old situation where nothing worked if you rebooted.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that since I've only needed it once (but thank god). Having my phone be able to function as a phone is one of the most important features I look for in a phone.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Xenomorph posted:

"SemiTether Jailbreak For iOS 5 Updated To Support Safari Working In Non-Tethered Jailbreak Mode"

(Redmond Pie)
http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-5-semi-untethered-with-semitether-0.9.1-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch/

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Feenix posted:

Is your phone literally blipping the screen and rebooting no matter what app you press? I had that happen to my iPad2 (4.3.3) after having Cydia update about 9 Jailbreak apps.

It's not happening immediately. Like the phone is fine for a couple hours, then I grab it to use it and it's showing the Apple logo. It started this yesterday after I installed about 4 new jailbreaks, so I'm guessing one of them is causing a crash.

edit: installed semitether anyway.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 1, 2011

ZippoGuy
Dec 18, 2005

Some say the world
will end in fire...
I'm just helping it along
College Slice

randyest posted:

I have a 4s and was basing that off other posters who said it sucks that they took the old voice control away.

They might have been talking about Siri without internet. If you have Siri enabled, and your internet connection is sketchy (or non-existent) then you can't even do the limited voice controls the 3GS could handle, which can be annoying when I just want to tell my phone to play music or call someone like I do (and did before Siri) all the time.

mister ginger
Jul 5, 2005

Djarum posted:

So I am not sure what is wrong here.

I finally broken down and installed iOS 5 on my 3GS and jailbroke it with redsn0w. Cydia seemed to install just fine, I had to reboot and set redsn0w to boot it tethered. In Windows it won't detect my iPhone in DFU at all, in OSX it will and I can reboot the phone. Problem is it is not jailbroken once it is rebooted.

Any ideas on what is wrong and how to fix it?

I went through this when my phone died at work. Windows seems to have an issue installing the right driver for the iPhone when it's not fully booted. My solution was plugging it into every USB port and uninstalling drivers until it worked. The only fix I've come up with is plugging my phone into every USB port while my phone is booted to iOS as prep for the inevitable.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Does anyone know of a split keyboard iPad app that I could use without upgrading to iOS 5? I really can't upgrade until there is a working iPad 2 jailbreak (retinapad is the biggest reason), but drat I want some split keyboard.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

rio posted:

Does anyone know of a split keyboard iPad app that I could use without upgrading to iOS 5? I really can't upgrade until there is a working iPad 2 jailbreak (retinapad is the biggest reason), but drat I want some split keyboard.

Apple doesn't allow you to install third party keyboards, so no.

Although I think there are/were apps that had their own keyboard, but you had to type everything in the app and copy/paste it to where you wanted it to go.

Also, as someone who solely JBs his iPad for RetinaPad, it hasn't been too big of a deal not having it with iOS5. How many iPhone only apps do you use on a regular basis?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I upgraded to iOS5 on my iPad 2 recently and discovered that there is something about that Split Keyboard that feels decidedly UN-Apple. Not sure what it is. Just doesn't feel very "clean".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Apple doesn't allow you to install third party keyboards, so no.

Although I think there are/were apps that had their own keyboard, but you had to type everything in the app and copy/paste it to where you wanted it to go.

Also, as someone who solely JBs his iPad for RetinaPad, it hasn't been too big of a deal not having it with iOS5. How many iPhone only apps do you use on a regular basis?
What Apple "allows" or not doesn't really apply here in the JB thread. I'm using 5-row keyboard on my pad right now as I type this. No copy and paste needed. It's a custom third-party keyboard.

And at least 30% of my most commonly used iPad apps are iPhone only, so retinapad and fullforce are critical, which is why I haven't upgraded my pad to ios5 either. YMMV of course.

• Locked thread