Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

NightHunter posted:

Better?

But his right eye's not gouged out! And the letters are backwards! This is terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

But his right eye's not gouged out! And the letters are backwards! This is terrible

My thoughts exactly!

Anyways it's still a decent picture in all the inaccuracies.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I like the theory that Guts is going to inspire the creation of the Idea of Good to counteract and maybe even defeat the Idea of Evil before/during/after his inevitable rampage against the God Hand. A bitterly happy ending to such a bleak series could be strangely fulfilling.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
The meaning behind the name Idea of Evil is that it is created by the consciousness of humans, and their ideas of morality and a god, if I read it correctly. Religion is often centered around what a person shouldn't do first and foremost, hence a name like that. It's not that the god of Berserk's world is evil, it's that it's formed from human minds seeing certain things as "immoral", which their gods are created more or less in response to. You basically can't have a God without the idea of "Evil", hence why that name is so fitting.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
guys shut up this is relaly important

This trailer confirms Susumu Hirasawa is back

I mean, no one ever said he wasn't coming back, but I was worried :ohdear:

The new cast sounds mostly fine, although Griffith sounds a little too childlike and Caska soudns a bit not-childlike-enough.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
All the voices sound fine to me. I don't know why you expect Caska to sound childlike in that portion of the story. There's nothing childish about her at that point in time. I do expect her voice will sound different if the films ever get to the post-eclipse, but for now her voice sounds fine. Griffith's doesn't sound very childish either, to me at least. As you say though, mostly excited that one of the pieces of music sounded like a Forces III, so yea, looking forward to that.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

tsob posted:

All the voices sound fine to me. I don't know why you expect Caska to sound childlike in that portion of the story. There's nothing childish about her at that point in time.

She is petulant as gently caress up until the 100 man fight.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

OnimaruXLR posted:

guys shut up this is relaly important

This trailer confirms Susumu Hirasawa is back

I mean, no one ever said he wasn't coming back, but I was worried :ohdear:

He's just doing the opening theme, the actual score is by Shiro Sagisu (Evangelion).

Also I was on the fence about this movie from previous teasers, but man that's a great trailer. Golden Age isn't my favourite arc but it should still be enjoyable.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Hatter106 posted:

He's just doing the opening theme, the actual score is by Shiro Sagisu (Evangelion).

Also I was on the fence about this movie from previous teasers, but man that's a great trailer. Golden Age isn't my favourite arc but it should still be enjoyable.

I'm excited for sure, but I'm having trouble getting hyped about the golden ark as well. I've read it, and watched it so many times that I just want to see something else animated.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
mozgus fight should be animated, absolutely.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Since they seem to be going for a purely chronological approach, I have to wonder how the Black Swordsman stuff is going to be handled. There are about three movies of "Guts shares his misery with bad people" material, and not all of it is super necessary.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I just hope that the keep the opening song from the old anime.

There no shame no shame
Where they'll change the phrase
Then your mother will show you another way
So put your glasses on
Let the will be won
There's no brain, there's no fame
It's up to you!
The first blood should be fine now
We'll never hold you back
I
Can't
I can't marry a dork
Tell me why
Tell me why
Tell me what you want
Don't know why
Don't know why
Don't know why he's fey
Tell me why
Tell me why
Tell me what you say
Don't know why
Don't know why
Too late is too late

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OnimaruXLR posted:

Since they seem to be going for a purely chronological approach, I have to wonder how the Black Swordsman stuff is going to be handled. There are about three movies of "Guts shares his misery with bad people" material, and not all of it is super necessary.

Cut out The Black Swordsman and The Brand, start at Guardians of Desire. Roll rescuing Puck into his arrival in town in Guardians. Rock on.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I just hope that the keep the opening song from the old anime.

I don't know, but I haven't watched the anime in years but I do reread the manga every other year and that intro still plays in my head every now and then when I am reading it.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Tyberius posted:

I don't know, but I haven't watched the anime in years but I do reread the manga every other year and that intro still plays in my head every now and then when I am reading it.

I'm the same way! It's been over eight years since I've seen it, and I still know the entire song by memory!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I would say do away with the first 3 volumes entirely and just show Guts maybe killing the one apostle and then running into Puck. Personally I always thought his meeting with the Godhand in book 3 was really out of place. It's better if he doesn't actually see Griffith/Femto again until he's reborn.

But purists still love the first 3 volumes, so I don't really care what they do. As long as they actually keep making the movies!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

OnimaruXLR posted:

She is petulant as gently caress up until the 100 man fight.

Was she? I remember her being overly defensive of her position in the Band of the Hawk and jealous of Gutt's closeness to Griffiths given his relative newness, but it's kind of justified as well given that she had been with them for years. It's just, she didn't know what a oval office Griffith was, so not really her fault. While I can see why you'd call it childish, I still wouldn't expect a childish voice out of her given that she is a card carrying, sword swinging, battle winning warrior despite that.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I am very late to this party, but what are the current speculations regarding mysterious naked child on the beach that keeps on latching onto Casca?

Also I know it's pretty much unavoidable on the long term but I hope nothing too cruel or horrible befalls on witch lady; ever since they met her at the mistress' hut in the forest she's become as crucial as king Gaiserik/Skull knight.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Ka0 posted:

I am very late to this party, but what are the current speculations regarding mysterious naked child on the beach that keeps on latching onto Casca?

It's Guts/ Casca's demon baby post it combining with Griffith when he re-manifested in the tangible world. Basically some kind of psychic offshoot of Griffith.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Oh dear. Things just won't end well for anyone involved then.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!

Ka0 posted:

Oh dear. Things just won't end well for anyone involved then.

Honestly, if you can't determine this as the most likely outcome of any given event in this manga, I'd accuse you of not having read it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Well, it's entirely possible it's a fragment of Griffith as I said, but it's possible that it's more like... a result of Griffith's appearance. Given my theory that Guts' existence and rebellion against Griffith is intended more than Griffith's "godhood", it may very well be that the genesis of Griffith basically resurrected and purified Guts and Casca's child and made him... divine? Or whatever. The by product may have been the intended result.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Revdomezehis posted:

Honestly, if you can't determine this as the most likely outcome of any given event in this manga, I'd accuse you of not having read it.

Isidro and Farnese have kinda grown on me. It seems just now they're finding their useful spot in the party.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Ka0 posted:

Isidro and Farnese have kinda grown on me. It seems just now they're finding their useful spot in the party.

That's the whole point man, you wouldn't feel bad when monsters eat their insides and wear them to gently caress with Gutt's head if they don't find grow on you first.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Oddly enough, I think I'll be more bummed if Azan dies than any of the other secondary characters. There just something great about this older, balding, kind of paunchy hero fighting demons and giving cheesy heroic speeches about honor. Also the mustache.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 8, 2011

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't think Azan is going anywhere. Farnese, Isidro and Serpico though...I could definitely see Serpico dying to toughen Farnese up a bit.

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper

Zorak posted:

Well, it's entirely possible it's a fragment of Griffith as I said, but it's possible that it's more like... a result of Griffith's appearance. Given my theory that Guts' existence and rebellion against Griffith is intended more than Griffith's "godhood", it may very well be that the genesis of Griffith basically resurrected and purified Guts and Casca's child and made him... divine? Or whatever. The by product may have been the intended result.

Perhaps there's something I missed somewhere, but it was my own understanding that that child is supposed to be Guts/Casca's actual child. The demon baby was their child being used as a host/seed for Griffith so that he could take part in the Rebirth. The child has always had a weird way of just showing up around Guts, and always seemingly with the desire to be recognized by Guts, but being the vessel of rebirth for Femto kept the kid looking like a malformed fetus. With that corruption gone, post-rebirth, the child is continuing to appear to Guts and Casca but now as their child (rather than the fetus that has been growing in size, like a child, over the years that Guts has been doing this).

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

PaleIrishGuy posted:

Perhaps there's something I missed somewhere, but it was my own understanding that that child is supposed to be Guts/Casca's actual child. The demon baby was their child being used as a host/seed for Griffith so that he could take part in the Rebirth. The child has always had a weird way of just showing up around Guts, and always seemingly with the desire to be recognized by Guts, but being the vessel of rebirth for Femto kept the kid looking like a malformed fetus. With that corruption gone, post-rebirth, the child is continuing to appear to Guts and Casca but now as their child (rather than the fetus that has been growing in size, like a child, over the years that Guts has been doing this).

He wasn't the vessel for Femto's rebirth until he was merged with that egg monster that was the actual vessel of Femto's rebirth. Otherwise the demon baby was just their corrupted and aborted child.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Zorak posted:

He wasn't the vessel for Femto's rebirth until he was merged with that egg monster that was the actual vessel of Femto's rebirth. Otherwise the demon baby was just their corrupted and aborted child.
But but but FATE

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

You mean "Casualty" right.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I've never understood the ghost boy/Femto thing either. I think he's the physical tie that allows Femto to exist in the real world, like blood sacrifice in a hellraiser kind of way. But it doesn't make sense from any perspective.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

temple posted:

I've never understood the ghost boy/Femto thing either. I think he's the physical tie that allows Femto to exist in the real world, like blood sacrifice in a hellraiser kind of way. But it doesn't make sense from any perspective.

It's a biproduct as far as we know thus far. Guts' "cursed" son was immersed in the Egg-Apostle that served as the vessel through which Femto made his Millennial Incarnation as Griffith. Presumably he wasn't consumed, just... whatever the hell happened to him. On the other hand, Femto apparently has some connection to him still what since Casca apparently saw Femto as the child or whatever?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

There's evidence in volume 28 that Zodd was looking over the Moonlight Child and may have even brought him to where Guts and Caska were.
So some people think that since he appears on the full moon, Griffith turns into the kid every full moon and goes to where his 'parents' are. Kind of a silly idea but there's evidence for it.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The kid appears outside of a full moon. He is only corporal in the full moon, because the full moon makes super magic. I don't like the magic stuff in Beserk because it reminds of all other fantasy manga/anime and it pisses me off. I get why the moon matters to the beserk world but its overused and just annoying to hear about in this manga.

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008
Well the moon business won't matter anymore since the worlds are merged.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

temple posted:

The kid appears outside of a full moon. He is only corporal in the full moon, because the full moon makes super magic. I don't like the magic stuff in Beserk because it reminds of all other fantasy manga/anime and it pisses me off. I get why the moon matters to the beserk world but its overused and just annoying to hear about in this manga.

I must admit I was away more engaged with the golden age arc because magic was so loving scarce, and sort of more special because of it, but i think it's more a problem I have with golden age feeling very well defined and the rest sort of running together in my head

You Are
Dec 1, 2006

We Todd Ed.

DamnGlitch posted:

I must admit I was away more engaged with the golden age arc because magic was so loving scarce, and sort of more special because of it, but i think it's more a problem I have with golden age feeling very well defined and the rest sort of running together in my head

Agreed. Magic is just an excuse to solve an impossible situation. AND IT'S PRETTY.

I always wondered why the "overtly supernatural" stuff never really happened much until the introduction of the witch girl. Someone on the forums posted that it was, perhaps, to show that not ALL "supernatural beings and magics" are evil, i.e. Femto/Apostles.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't think the lack of magic has anything to do with what makes the Golden Age good. It's more that in the Golden Age there was a much stronger focus on personal conflict between the main characters. Guts' happy JRPG party/family has some interesting characters individually but they don't play off each other to nearly the same extent, Casca's still a non-entity and Griffith's relationship with Guts basically froze when he became Femto.

Then again I'm a few chapters behind and it might just be the pacing that makes it seem that way. Fingers crossed.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 15, 2011

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm kind of hoping Serpico eventually decides to do something with his life. He's a cool character, and probably the most interesting of the Gutsketeers theoretically, but the fact that his entire motivation in life boils down to "babysit my creepy hosed up half sister" makes him a little dull

More likely, though that he just becomes Farny's Wong when she becomes Sorceress Supreme :spidey:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The Golden Arc was good because it was relatable. At this point, the story is metaphysical. That's good for what I think Muira is trying to convey but it creates ridiculous DBZ styled conflicts were no one dies unless the plot dictates it. The minute Guts got that damned beserker armor, the wheels came off in terms of logic.

That's why I say you have to ignore the fantasy stuff and look at the story can abstractions at this point. Guts is human will. What he is experiencing isn't a matter of if he will win because he's no longer human. Guts is an idea and you can't kill ideas with swords. The same with Griffith. You have think about it as what can kill the idea of ambition? What can kill endurance? But I still prefer people doing people stuff because its cooler than philosophical conflict.