Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Level Slide posted:

I was in the process of asking if Jade left behind enough recyclable material for the new universe to have Dad, Mom, and Bro as players, but then I realized they all died on worlds that Jade packed when she left the universe. I miss Bro :smith:

Is there anything more than anecdotal evidence to suggest that the scratch requires players/ancestors to be destroyed in order to have them appear in the new universe? Because I haven't really seen any more than that, and it's beginning to feel like the hard sci-fi teleporter thing where everyone just assumes that you have to destroy the original because [never actually gives a good reason].

The only things I've seen to suggest it are J referring to his grandmother as a witch of space (tenuous, possible semantic bullshittery), and the whole troll ancestors had echoes of memories of the way their world used to be thing (still doesn't require that they be the actual physical same people, which would be impossible anyway seeing as how they were spawned in the new session and lived their entire lives in the new troll universe). So yeah, if there's something other than those that I'm missing, feel free to tell me, otherwise I'm going to keep looking forward to grown-up kids a completely neutral viewpoint because there's really nothing to suggest the opposite is true either.

(Twist version: there are grown-up versions of the kids in the new session, but by the time we get there they're already dead, what with being naturally doomed ancestors and all. :v:)

Gnome de plume posted:

Someone went and made a pretty sweet-looking Homestuck title screen (may not work in some browsers).

Oh hey look it's that giant laser cannon thing we haven't seen since it was made. (I was pretty surprised when the Green Sun Streetsweeper showed up in the banner battle with Jack, I kind of expect the poo poo made in alchemizer sprees to never actually be used or its intended purpose ever.)

Lord of Laughton posted:

So I just spent the last half hour reading through Xamag's Tumblr. Man, is she talented.

And I thought everybody forgot about Pantskat. :swoon: (This is far from the best thing on that blog)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Renaissance Robot posted:

Oh hey look it's that giant laser cannon thing we haven't seen since it was made.

Actually, she never made it. Not enough grist.
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005065

Can I ask where the whole thing with Karkat and the pants came from? I think I may have missed it when it first started being mentioned and I don't really get it.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
I think Homestuck ruined webcomics for me :psyduck: I can't go back to the more traditional style. I'm 82 pages into GC and I'm just not getting into it :( I feel like something is wrong.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Can I ask where the whole thing with Karkat and the pants came from? I think I may have missed it when it first started being mentioned and I don't really get it.

Even if she had made it she probably wouldn't have used it because it's a sprite of one of Iron Man's special moves in Marvel vs Capcom.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

In the panel where the trolls are all looking at Gamzee showing up, Hussie only drew Karkat's body one shade, the same grey colour as his pants. Fandom seized on this and started drawing fanart, and so Tall Pants Karkat was born!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/scratch.php?s=6&p=005748

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Android Blues posted:

In the panel where the trolls are all looking at Gamzee showing up, Hussie only drew Karkat's body one shade, the same grey colour as his pants. Fandom seized on this and started drawing fanart, and so Tall Pants Karkat was born!

Oh yes! I think someone on the forums has that as an avatar, don't they? No wonder I missed it then. It was bizarrely hilarious how Hussie wrote the whole thing into the troll ancestors backstory. I had no idea what he was talking about at first. :psyduck:

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Oh yes! I think someone on the forums has that as an avatar, don't they? :

You rang?

For content, I really hope that if Hussie gives us a reset SBURB session with the post-Scratch reset kids, he throws in some alchemizing shenanigans, to better flesh out these "new" characters.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

FewtureMD posted:

You rang?

For content, I really hope that if Hussie gives us a reset SBURB session with the post-Scratch reset kids, he throws in some alchemizing shenanigans, to better flesh out these "new" characters.

There's a decent chance that this'll be the Christmas update!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

I think Homestuck ruined webcomics for me :psyduck: I can't go back to the more traditional style. I'm 82 pages into GC and I'm just not getting into it :( I feel like something is wrong.

If it helps, Gunnerkrigg started out slightly-better-than-mediocre and really only got amazing later on in its life. Try sticking with it a little longer.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Lord of Laughton posted:

So I just spent the last half hour reading through Xamag's Tumblr. Man, is she talented.

I am really glad you posted this because oh my god, her arts were probably my favorite part of Cascade and I have been really wondering who did them, but I never realized quite how many of them she did. The Rose and Dave and Dave/Jadesprite shots, and Rose in particular, jesus, those are incredible.

And apparently she's only sixteen? Goddamn, there are people in their 30s that can't draw that well.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 1, 2011

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

It gets better. The art especially skyrockets in quality, but the story starts to gain its own identity after a few chapters.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

CidGregor posted:

I am really glad you posted this because oh my god, her arts were probably my favorite part of Cascade and I have been really wondering who did them, but I never realized quite how many of them she did. The Rose and Dave and Dave/Jadesprite shots, and Rose in particular, jesus, those are incredible.

And apparently she's only sixteen? Goddamn, there are people in their 30s that can't draw that well.

16? Jesus. Those shots were incredible and still pull at my heartstrings. Plus the Karkat scene was great without breaking too much tension.

Also jumping on the "it gets better" bandwagon for GC. Although what really sold me was City Face.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

CidGregor posted:

That makes two then, that girl horse from Texas being the other one.

e/ Lazylaz, who did some brilliant shots of John for Cascade.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 1, 2011

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Who did the artwork for Rose and Dave's first appearance on the moon? I assumed it was the same person who drew John on LOHAC, but I guess it wasn't.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Is there anything more than anecdotal evidence to suggest that the scratch requires players/ancestors to be destroyed in order to have them appear in the new universe? Because I haven't really seen any more than that, and it's beginning to feel like the hard sci-fi teleporter thing where everyone just assumes that you have to destroy the original because [never actually gives a good reason].

The only things I've seen to suggest it are J referring to his grandmother as a witch of space (tenuous, possible semantic bullshittery), and the whole troll ancestors had echoes of memories of the way their world used to be thing (still doesn't require that they be the actual physical same people, which would be impossible anyway seeing as how they were spawned in the new session and lived their entire lives in the new troll universe). So yeah, if there's something other than those that I'm missing, feel free to tell me, otherwise I'm going to keep looking forward to grown-up kids a completely neutral viewpoint because there's really nothing to suggest the opposite is true either.

(Twist version: there are grown-up versions of the kids in the new session, but by the time we get there they're already dead, what with being naturally doomed ancestors and all. :v:)

I'd like for a role reversal like the troll universe if only to see the then-ancestor now-player kids flip their poo poo when they encounter the 13-year-old god tier versions of their guardians and it would be pretty cool (to me, at least) to see some human dimensions associated with characters who were once perceived to be faceless pillars of awesomeness.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Level Slide posted:

I'd like for a role reversal like the troll universe if only to see the then-ancestor now-player kids flip their poo poo when they encounter the 13-year-old god tier versions of their guardians and it would be pretty cool (to me, at least) to see some human dimensions associated with characters who were once perceived to be faceless pillars of awesomeness.

I keep telling myself that this is stupid and Andrew's already announced that from here on out things are going to be rapidly wrapping up and there's no way he'd digress into trying to flesh out another twelve far-background characters. But I can't make myself believe it.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Well he could always kill them again :v:

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Stick with it. The start's a little shaky, as I mentioned. You're reading the second best webcomic on the internet, so if you can't get into GC, then once homestuck is gone the entire genre is closed to you forever.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Gabriel Pope posted:

I keep telling myself that this is stupid and Andrew's already announced that from here on out things are going to be rapidly wrapping up and there's no way he'd digress into trying to flesh out another twelve far-background characters. But I can't make myself believe it.

Reminder: On May 15th, Andrew advised the art team that he'd probably be getting started on EOA5 in two or three weeks, which he estimated as the time it would take to complete all the setup pages. When in doubt, always assume that he's understimating the length and time investment for any given segment of content.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Gabriel Pope posted:

But it wouldn't be twelve, it'd be... four. And we're not talking fully realized characters like Vriska, or Dave or whatever, more like Equius, Sollux or Aradia at most. If anything they'd be taking up the slack that the deaths of the Exiles, a bunch of Trolls and the current Guardians left, I guess.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Gabriel Pope posted:

To be fair, this time it would only be four and in a sense we'd have already met them. And it'd probably be easier to integrate sections featuring characters we already know into the shenanigans.

And for some reason I now have the following in my head: "Your name is J___. You are currently standing by the FOURTH WALL in your late GRANDMOTHER's laboratory. It is your ELEVENTH BIRTHDAY, and you are awaiting the arrival of two VERY SPECIAL GUESTS."

That or John and Jade burst out of the Fourth Wall while it's still a part of New Jack Noir's cubicle on Derse, knocking him out. It'd be one less problem for everyone to deal with, at least.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Supercar Gautier posted:

Reminder: On May 15th, Andrew advised the art team that he'd probably be getting started on EOA5 in two or three weeks, which he estimated as the time it would take to complete all the setup pages. When in doubt, always assume that he's understimating the length and time investment for any given segment of content.

I'm really glad he's not the kind of person this is more generically true for. As in "I'm just popping out for some milk, brb!" *staggers in the door 6 months later dragging his own weight in nazi gold and sporting a survivor beard*

Although that would be pretty great to read about.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
On the topic of Xamag's art (which is indeed excellent), can anyone think of a decent title text for this avatar?

I would pick a good quote of Dave's but there's so many that I'm getting swamped for what to pick and none of the ones I've thought of seem to go well with it.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

ActionZero posted:

On the topic of Xamag's art (which is indeed excellent), can anyone think of a decent title text for this avatar?

I would pick a good quote of Dave's but there's so many that I'm getting swamped for what to pick and none of the ones I've thought of seem to go well with it.

[color="#e00707"]TG: hey look suddenly everything we just talked about was useless because its time to make a plan that doesnt loving suck[/color]

Fitting for the situation and the context of the conversation its taken from, I think, but not so context sensitive that it can't stand on its own.

(edit: okay apparently colors don't work in posts but they are fine in custom titles? Well anyway that should be the right bb code command for dave's color.)

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 1, 2011

damn chimera
Jan 31, 2007

EMERGENCY
EMERGENCY
EMERGENCY

ActionZero posted:

Probably too long but kind of relevant to that scene

TG: but instead of winning the gold sports prize you just loving die and nobody cares and it didnt mean anything
TT: Which prize is that?
TG: the football prize

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

Remember when Andrew thought he could wrap Homestuck up in one year's time? Hahaha...ha. :psyduck:

The payoff is worth it in the end, but time estimates have never been his strength.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mazerunner posted:

But it wouldn't be twelve, it'd be... four. And we're not talking fully realized characters like Vriska, or Dave or whatever, more like Equius, Sollux or Aradia at most. If anything they'd be taking up the slack that the deaths of the Exiles, a bunch of Trolls and the current Guardians left, I guess.

Whoops I just skimmed that post and thought he was talking about re-rebooting the troll universe for some reason.

ActionZero posted:

Keep it simple. Do something like "TG: man what".

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

CidGregor posted:

[color="#e00707"]TG: hey look suddenly everything we just talked about was useless because its time to make a plan that doesnt loving suck[/color]

Fitting for the situation and the context of the conversation its taken from, I think, but not so context sensitive that it can't stand on its own.

(edit: okay apparently colors don't work in posts but they are fine in custom titles? Well anyway that should be the right bb code command for dave's color.)

Voting this one. It's simple, slightly funny, and it fits.

I feel like I should have chosen a better title for the one I got but I couldn't settle on anything else.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I just thought of something; what if universe frogs eventually leave their Incipisphere birthplaces and enter the furthest ring, where they mature into horrorterrors?

edit: What if horrorterrors are universe frogs that have been corrupted by LE's 'glitch' and are thus marked for consumption? :psyduck:

Fortis fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 1, 2011

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

Whoops I just skimmed that post and thought he was talking about re-rebooting the troll universe for some reason.

Oh no, that would truly be stupid. I just toyed with a situation in which the kids could see eye-to-eye with their (former) guardians.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
A scratch would also mess with the universe that created the universe that sent players into their medium right? If so, I wonder what effect the ancestor's scratch could have had on B. Slick. (crazy theory about the kids' guardians here)

Ograbme fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 1, 2011

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

CidGregor posted:

We have a winner. Thanks.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Truly we are now partners in Awesome Dave And Rose Art.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Now someone needs to get Davesprite/Jadesprite avs.

Just an endless line of people turning their heads to the right.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

And I thought everybody forgot about Pantskat. :swoon: (This is far from the best thing on that blog)

No kiddin'

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

This one had me laughing a for a few minutes.

Admiral Lasers
Dec 10, 2000

This one had me laughing a for a few minutes.

Where did this come from? it looks like it was done by the same person that did those excellent Ace Attorney and MGS comics, and it would be awesome if she made homestuck stuff like this too!

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Admiral Lasers posted:

Where did this come from? it looks like it was done by the same person that did those excellent Ace Attorney and MGS comics, and it would be awesome if she made homestuck stuff like this too!

It's from Xamag's tumblr. She apparently likes to draw fanart of her own art.

edit:
Also, for anyone interested, I found out that the person who drew Rose and Dave's derse dreamselves from the flash was SkepticArcher, who incidentally was behind one of my favourite pieces of fanart.

edit 2:
At least I think it was SkepticArcher who drew them. I'm going by the similar drawing styles.

Oxygen Deficiency fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forebodingburger
Jul 23, 2010

Sever your leg, please.

Oxxidation posted:

Now someone needs to get Davesprite/Jadesprite avs.

Just an endless line of people turning their heads to the right.

Sounds like a pretty good idea.