Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

The Macaroni posted:

Do folks have a favorite brand of Vietnamese or Thai fish sauce? Last brand I tried was "Squid" and I wasn't a huge fan.

Squid is actually my favorite for every day cooking, it's considered a low end fish sauce but I quite like it.

A couple other popular fish sauces:

Three Crabs: http://www.amazon.com/Three-Crabs-Brand-Fish-Sauce/dp/B0000CNU54/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1320163913&sr=1-1

Flying Lion: http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Lion-Vietnamese-Style-Fish-Sauce/dp/B0000CNU56

They are both made from the same company and blend Phu Quoc fish sauce with Thai fish sauce. Phu Quoc is where the best Vietnamese fish sauce is made which is why these two fish sauces are considered premium fish sauces. Flying Lion is more intense in flavor than the Three Crabs. I find something a bit off about them though, and they have fructose and hydrolysed wheat protein added whereas Squid is just water, anchovy, salt, sugar.

Unfortunately these are the closest to Phu Quoc fish sauce you will get in the U.S. so I just end up using Squid. The company that makes Squid has a premium fish sauce called Megachef and in Canada and Europe Knorr packages a 100% Phu Quoc fish sauce but sadly these are not available in the U.S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

What are the cheapest most delicious ingredients to add to a pack (or two!) of Maruchan Ramen?

All I ever end up adding are extra spices. I guess meats and veges are the next route. Any odd concoctions that are cheap?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Slice soft (or hard) boiled egg.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003

The Macaroni posted:

Do folks have a favorite brand of Vietnamese or Thai fish sauce? Last brand I tried was "Squid" and I wasn't a huge fan.

Go for Three Crabs. Great fish sauce flavor, not too funky to scare you away. http://www.amazon.com/Three-Crabs-Brand-Fish-Sauce/dp/B0000CNU54

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Obscurity posted:

What are the cheapest most delicious ingredients to add to a pack (or two!) of Maruchan Ramen?

All I ever end up adding are extra spices. I guess meats and veges are the next route. Any odd concoctions that are cheap?

Eggs and scallions. I like big pieces of scallion added in early to give flavor to the broth, then chopped pieces added at the very end for a fresher scallion flavor.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

wafflesnsegways posted:

From left to right, minced, diced, and chopped:

Hmm, fair enough. For some reason I had it in my head that minced literally meant sort of crushed into mush.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
So did I, for a long time. And of course, people don't always use terms like mince and chop as technical terms.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Obscurity posted:

Carrots, celery, onions, bits of chopped ham. Use one seasoning packet instead of two but throw in some worcestershire sauce, a dash of sesame oil and some lemon pepper. Bring to a boil, throw in the noodles, boil briefly, reduce heat and let sit for a bit.

Consume and then die as 27,000mg of sodium hits your bloodstream like a jackhammer. Cry a little bit into your bowl of upgraded ramen as you contemplate the terrible life choices that have brought you to this juncture.

Be careful not to get the tears in the soup, it ups the salt content. :v:

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

mich posted:

Fagtastic, definitely just be patient. If a tomato sauce is watery, adding starches may thicken it but that's all it ends up being: thickened watery tomato sauce. There won't be enough tomato for the volume of sauce to give a good tomato flavor.

Edit: Ah looks like it resolved itself, that's what I get for leaving the reply window open while I make breakfast. Glad it's working out!

Thanks! This is what I ended up doing and it worked great. I had to keep a horde of hungry people out of my kitchen with a brandished spatula by the end of it, but they turned out to be the best meatballs I've ever made. Light and extremely airy, yet flavourful (good quality pork and veal mince, with basil and parsley from the balcony herb pots which are miraculously surviving).

Sauce itself was nothing but polpa with basics (onion, garlic), but thickened down to a hearty sauce that clung to the tagliatelle like an old lover. I ate too much but I'm pretty pleased.

CuddleChunks posted:

Be careful not to get the tears in the soup, it ups the salt content. :v:

Technically, since he excreted the salt before he consumed it, drinking tears would be sodium-neutral. Like bio diesel.

Fagtastic fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 1, 2011

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

Anyone got a good breakfast idea for a large group? There will be about 20 people, mostly hungover college kids, and price is not that limiting of a factor, but cheaper is better. I have done a breakfast casserole, french toast and home made bacon before to good reviews, but I'd like to try something different. I considered eggs Benedict, but I wasn't sure if I could produce it on a large scale. Any ideas?

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Obscurity posted:

I will second the eggs and scallions. Often, I will poach the egg straight in the cooking water/soup. Also, fishballs or fishcake slices are great.

What It Dooski posted:

Anyone got a good breakfast idea for a large group? There will be about 20 people, mostly hungover college kids, and price is not that limiting of a factor, but cheaper is better. I have done a breakfast casserole, french toast and home made bacon before to good reviews, but I'd like to try something different. I considered eggs Benedict, but I wasn't sure if I could produce it on a large scale. Any ideas?

I've heard that you can poach the eggs ahead of time and heat them by dipping them in hot water the next day, but I haven't actually tried it. If it does work, it's definitely easy to mass produce.

Omelets are very easy to whip up if you have a few small pans or a pot. Cook/shred the fillings the night before, beat a ton of eggs, heat pans and slick with butter, ladle eggs into pans etc etc.

squigadoo fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 1, 2011

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

What It Dooski posted:

Hungover college kids?

Breakfast tacos.

Here's a world renowned chef to tell you how: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBgsLmDcL78

Fagtastic fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 1, 2011

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

What It Dooski posted:

Cinnamon waffles with pecans and sorghum syrup.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to give the breakfast tacos a shot, but I love the sound of cinnamon waffles with pecans. I'll put that one in the bank for later.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

If you're gonna do that for more than about five people, you might want to seriously think about how much you want to make tortillas from scratch, unless you're already a tortilla making type of person. He's not joking about how much more delicious they are, but he is lying when he says its easy. 20 hungover students will need at LEAST 60 tortillas, probably more.

If you do go for fresh, then absolutely do not omit the lard.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah, I was thinking about just buying some. I've never made tortillas and I'd hate to either not have enough or screw it up. Is it possible to do them the night before and throw them into the fridge?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

RazorBunny posted:

I didn't see any answers to my question before, and I don't want to pester the thread too much, but I still haven't had any luck finding a source of alcohol-free flavoring with any variety. The few places I was able to find online were all wholesale vendors and the containers were huge. Does anyone know of a good replacement for the Spicery Shoppe brand that appears to have gone out of business?
I don't know a particular place off the top of my head, but visit The Spice House website and call one of their stores. They're a much smaller operation than Penzey's and the person you get on the phone may be able to give you some advice on where to look. Also, if you have a local co-op grocery or health food store, check there. I know I saw gluten-free flavoring at my local co-op, I'm sure they have some alcohol-free ones too.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I didn't realize Phu Quoc wasn't a brand name!

The Korean grocery near me has fish sauce labeled Phu Quoc with a big orange fish logo, is that not authentic Phu Quoc?

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
I'm making a lamb biryani for a dinner party on Saturday night. Any ideas of what I should serve as a side dish that's not going to take a lot of work (because the biryani takes a goddamn lot of work)? I anticipate between 5 and 7 people, and I don't feel particularly limited to a side dish that's indian either.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

RazorBunny posted:

I didn't realize Phu Quoc wasn't a brand name!

The Korean grocery near me has fish sauce labeled Phu Quoc with a big orange fish logo, is that not authentic Phu Quoc?

Yeah, most bottles labeled as Phu Quoc fish sauce are not 100% Phu Quoc fish sauce but a blend. Look at the bottle and see if it is produced or processed in Thailand or Hong Kong and chances are it is a blend, like the Three Crabs and Flying Lion brands. Whenever I go to the store I check to see if there are any new fish sauce brands available and there's never any 100% Phu Quoc fish sauce, but I live in Nashville.

I did some more googling and came across Red Boat fish sauce which seems to be Phu Quoc fish sauce and found on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Boat-Vietnamese-Fish-Sauce/dp/B005J8DT0Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1320177733&sr=8-3

http://redboatfishsauce.com/

I know it looks fancy for fish sauce and pricy but looks to be the real deal.

Edit: I'm pretty excited, just placed an order for a couple bottles.

mich fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 1, 2011

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Kalista posted:

I'm making a lamb biryani for a dinner party on Saturday night. Any ideas of what I should serve as a side dish that's not going to take a lot of work (because the biryani takes a goddamn lot of work)? I anticipate between 5 and 7 people, and I don't feel particularly limited to a side dish that's indian either.

Lentil or chickpea dahl is pretty easy to do, and can be made beforehand and reheated.

Here is an example.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 1, 2011

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

mich posted:

Yeah, most bottles labeled as Phu Quoc fish sauce are not 100% Phu Quoc fish sauce but a blend. Look at the bottle and see if it is produced or processed in Thailand or Hong Kong and chances are it is a blend, like the Three Crabs and Flying Lion brands. Whenever I go to the store I check to see if there are any new fish sauce brands available and there's never any 100% Phu Quoc fish sauce, but I live in Nashville.

I'll have to check the bottle I have now.

I'd be willing to bet that if there's any place in the US where you can buy the good stuff, it's in the DC area. We have a huge immigrant population from all parts of Asia, and our ethnic grocery stores are amazing.

We have friends who live pretty close to you (Franklin) and they're really into authentic Japanese food. When they came to visit we took them to Lotte and they wound up cramming their car trunk full of stuff they couldn't get at home. Lotte is awesome.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Kalista posted:

And you are, of course, serving raita? Yogurt, diced tomatoes, a bit of red onion, a bit of cilantro, and salt to taste. Pomegranate seeds add a beautiful and delicious touch. If you're sadistic like my family, you can also add a bunch of minced chili peppers to this dish, which is supposed to be cooling to the palate.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Junior G-man posted:

Lentil or chickpea dahl is pretty easy to do, and can be made beforehand and reheated.

Here is an example.

That looks like a good idea, and now I want to try it. However, now I think I'm looking for something cold, like a salad of some kind, since the biryani is going to be the main hot dish. Thank you for passing it along though. Maybe a couscous salad of some kind, hmmm...

The Macaroni posted:

And you are, of course, serving raita? Yogurt, diced tomatoes, a bit of red onion, a bit of cilantro, and salt to taste. Pomegranate seeds add a beautiful and delicious touch. If you're sadistic like my family, you can also add a bunch of minced chili peppers to this dish, which is supposed to be cooling to the palate.

Oh, that's just what I'm looking for! Thank you!

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I just made a meal off the top of my head, just throwing things in, and it turned out pretty well! I'm not sure about the sauce, though...what would you guys have done?

Got some lamb chops, browed them in some oil with a sliced up leek. Took them out of the pan after a few minutes and whacked them in the oven. Made some mashed potato. In the pan with the leeks, I added some broccoli and covered it (suggested in the simple meals thread - it goes crunchy on the bottom and steams on top...they came out really tasty).

The main thing I wasn't sure about is the sauce. I couldn't think of anything, so I mixed up some soy sauce with a bit of garlic and a good amount of honey and warmed that up. It turned out quite tasty, but I'm not sure it quite fit with the meal. What would you guys have done with it?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Wouldn't go with the broccoli if you put it in the same pan, but a bit of red wine in the pan that you cooked the lamb in would've made a nice pan sauce. Shucks, a bit of red wine in the soy mixture you put together (then boiled or simmered to remove the "raw" wine taste) would've gone well too. Probably would've added the complexity you're looking for. My favoritest steak marinade is soy, garlic, and red wine--lovely stuff.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hit the pan with some diced shallot, deglaze with some white wine and whisk in a knob of butter at the end.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Well, the ultraclassic to go with lamb is a nice creamy mint sauce; reduce some white wine, brandy and chicken stock to about a third of volume with a lightyl crushed clove of garlic. Put in cream, reduce again, take out the garlic and then whiz the whole thing up with a bunch of fresh mint and a little lemon juice to taste.

Strain and serve. You can make this beforehand and reheat, just be sure to add in a knob of butter at the end.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

So I decided to finally try to make pulled pork but then power outages ruined my plan. I stuck it in the freezer for a few hours before power went out and kept my freezer cool (let's say refrigerator temp) by packing it with snow. Today I said "gently caress it" and brought the slow cooker into my office. The pork looked alright before cooking and now it smells like pork, I guess. But should I be worried? Today is the fourth day past the sell-by date. Just curious if smelling and tasting good is enough or if I'm still risking getting sick from this.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

It's not a 100% thing, but if taste and smell are fine, I'd eat it.

Dunno about your sickly, diabetic, dying grandmother though.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Sell-by Date != Food Becomes Poison On This Date. I'm not a food scientist, but I would absolutely eat what you described.

On a related note, I bet it sucks to live in snow when your power goes out. At least you can keep your food fresh! :science:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Chard posted:

On a related note, I bet it sucks to live in snow when your power goes out. At least you can keep your food fresh! :science:

I made a big pot of stock during the East Coast Snowpocalypse two years ago and was able to cool it down enough to go straight in the fridge by burying the stock pot in a giant snow drift. Took less than five minutes.

The best part was the ultra smooth pot-shaped dent that stayed in the snow for weeks after.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
So I got a tin of anchovies that I probably shouldn't feed to my cats. I was thinking Caesar dressing instead. Anyone have a good recipe?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I have some nice fatty salmon and some plain ol' crimini mushrooms. What should I make?

(I also have a ton of leftover rice, and some veggies like onions, carrots, arugula, tomatoes, peas, and spinach. I also have most kitchen staples except NO milk. So yes eggs, yes flour, yes soy sauce, yes honey/sugar, etc.)

Thinking fried rice but not sure what to do with the salmon in that case. Also I just made teriyaki salmon so I'm interested in more non-Asian flavors at the moment.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Has anyone here ever used soy flour in place of regular flour or almond flour? How has it affected your baking?

Also how much almond flour do I use if I'm replacing AP flour...

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Polish posted:

So I got a tin of anchovies that I probably shouldn't feed to my cats. I was thinking Caesar dressing instead. Anyone have a good recipe?

Or, fry in some olive oil with some chilli flakes and garlic to go with pasta!

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I'm considering trying some cooking with crickets, but I'm not entirely sure about reliable sources for recipes and/or good, reputable purchase options. Any goons know enough to point me in the right directions?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

For Caesar:

Wash and thoroughly dry your romaine, then either tear into bite size pieces, or leave whole for a nice presentation (although your guests will need to eat with a knife and fork). Then get out a salad bowl, if its wooden, rub the inside of the bowl with the cut side of a clove of garlic cut in half.

Add one or two fillets to the bowl and mash with a fork. Juice half a lemon into the bowl, mince the garlic from earlier (either half a clove or a whole clove if you like garlic), sprinkle the minced garlic with a little salt and mash to a paste with the blunt side of your chef's knife and add to the bowl. At this point you could add some worcestershire sauce or, my favorite, fish sauce to up the umami, but watch the saltiness.

Crack an egg into the bowl and whisk until foamy. Next, drizzle olive oil into the bowl while whisking until a nice creamy dressing is formed. Taste. If its not sharp enough, add some white wine vinegar (or whatever you have). If its not salty enough, add more fish sauce (or salt). Grind on some fresh black pepper.

Add the lettuce to the bowl along with a lot of grated parmesan cheese and more black pepper and toss. Serve with more ground pepper and cheese. If you want croutons, slice a baguette and toast, then rub the toasted bread with a clove of garlic and cut into croutons.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Can I get a recommendation for a high-quality non teflon cookie sheet/baking pan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I make lasagna every so often, and I wanted to know if I'm committing some grave culinary offense by using pre-prepared ingredients for convenience.

Rather than boiling the noodles, I use American Beauty brand "oven ready" noodles. This is because I almost always end up tearing the boiled noodles when trying to lay them in the dish. Instead of pressing the garlic myself, I use minced garlic that comes in those little jars. Then there's pre-shredded cheese, with the exception of the mozzarella, which I buy the balls and shred myself, since no matter what brand or what store, shredded mozzarella in the bags always ends up being all dried out for me. And, probably the most grievous, spaghetti sauce mix in place of "real" spices. Using these convenient ingredients cuts down on preparation time by a fair amount compared to how I learned it from my dad.

It always turns out well, and I've had nothing but accolades from anyone who's eaten it. Am I going to give myself and my family/friends cancer? Will the food cops come and arrest me? :ohdear: