Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Invade! Vengeful aristocrats care little for reason when they are slapped in the face like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
There's no way any version of Aldo Lestrade would take this lying down. He's going to B. Invade Skye and drat the consequences.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Aldo's too wily to do something as stupid as invade. He needs his troops fighting the Clans, and he knows it.

Besides, he also knows that if he actually invades he gives Clovis the opportunity to prove that the Commonwealth is betraying its citizens, and might lead to other parts of the LC breaking off.

Besides, why send a regiment when all you need is one man with a gun? Assassination is way easier, and doesn't compromise your defenses against the Clans.

A. Well, gently caress....now I've got to kill the boy. Get me Loki on Line One.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

jng2058 posted:

Besides, why send a regiment when all you need is one man with a gun? Assassination is way easier, and doesn't compromise your defenses against the Clans.

Because one man with a gun can miss. Or accidentally shoot 'Melissa Steiner'. Then Aldo is really proper hosed.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

A) Well, gently caress. Aldo just got played by his own kid. And the last thing he wants is a full scale civil war while the clan invasion is going on. Better to let them go peacefully now and win them back when the clans are dealt with.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

jng2058 posted:

Besides, he also knows that if he actually invades he gives Clovis the opportunity to prove that the Commonwealth is betraying its citizens, and might lead to other parts of the LC breaking off.

Your vote is cast, but I have to ask if you're not sure that's not what we, the voting Goons, want? Because I sure as hell want to see this cluster-gently caress driven to extreme levels.

Remember, the point of the vote is not necessarily to take the wisest (or sanest) option available. The point is to choose the options that we want to see go into effect, to create the interesting stories we wish to see.

So while it's worth thinking "is Aldo really stupid enough to do this," you should also remember that the answer is "absolutely, conditional on all of us deciding that he is." If we want to see him doing something that, on the face of it, is patently ridiculous and foolhardy, then by all means let him get full of hubris and declare civil war.

So, I implore you, future voters: vote for what you think will make things most interesting to see, not necessarily what is most sane.

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 1, 2011

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Well, gently caress. Well played, Clovis. Well played. Finally, a Free Skye that doesn't arise from retardation.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

Free Skye will meets it painful end (yet again) once that is dealt with.

Not with Hesperus II and Furillo willingly leaving the Commonwealth, they won't. Those two planets make up Defiance Industries, which not only means the LyrCom is out its main military production capacity, but also its top military R&D programs. I don't think this is anything more than a St. Ives Compact move, rather than an attempt to make a long-term nation, but it's certainly not something you just kick over.

I'm going to say A. Lestrade is going to make Frederick Steiner the new Archon, correct? Aldo will immediately demand that Fred come down on this new Skye faction. Assuming that units with personal ties to Melissa or her family, like the Royal Guard, 15th Lyran (who her mother served with, or some of the Donegal Guards (who would be loyal to Melissa though her father, the old Duke of Donegal) defect to this new Skye, it gives Frederick the perfect excuse to tell Aldo to gently caress off the second he's made Archon and start saying he's gonna do his own thing, god drat it.

What I'm saying is that Aldo will make Frederick Archon, intending to make him his new puppet, and Fred will immediately decide to stop listening the second he's in charge.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

So, I implore you, future voters: vote for what you think will make things most interesting to see, not necessarily what is most sane.
Sane actions of the characters in this fanfic actually make this more interesting for me.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tarquinn posted:

Sane actions of the characters in this fanfic actually make this more interesting for me.

If your characters don't make actions that a normal person would make, it always seems forced when something bad happens to them and the audience doesn't have any empathy for them.

That was the lesson Abed taught us last week.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
A. gently caress well young Clovis.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Your vote is cast, but I have to ask if you're not sure that's not what we, the voting Goons, want? Because I sure as hell want to see this cluster-gently caress driven to extreme levels.

Remember, the point of the vote is not necessarily to take the wisest (or sanest) option available. The point is to choose the options that we want to see go into effect, to create the interesting stories we wish to see.

So while it's worth thinking "is Aldo really stupid enough to do this," you should also remember that the answer is "absolutely, conditional on all of us deciding that he is." If we want to see him doing something that, on the face of it, is patently ridiculous and foolhardy, then by all means let him get full of hubris and declare civil war.

That's exactly what I AM doing. The military collapse of the Commonwealth to the Clans because they're fighting in the Isle of Skye is BORING. On the other hand...

Tempest_56 posted:

Because one man with a gun can miss. Or accidentally shoot 'Melissa Steiner'. Then Aldo is really proper hosed.

THIS option could lead to drama and intrigue! What does the real Melissa do if Jeana bites it again, but no one believes that the Red Corsair is the real Melissa? That's a hell of a lot more interesting than pressing the "Clans Win" button in my book!

Although I do quibble with Tempest_56's idea that Melissa is in MORE danger from an assassin going after than Clovis than she is if Fred's dropping the 10th Lyran Guard on her head!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Defiance Industries posted:

If your characters don't make actions that a normal person would make, it always seems forced when something bad happens to them and the audience doesn't have any empathy for them.

That was the lesson Abed taught us last week.

Exactly.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So, Caesar got snatched before Reinhardt was conceived, then? Bummer. Reinhardt is an unstoppable fighting machine who would have reclaimed the Clan OZ in about 20 years.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Angry_Ed posted:

There's no way any version of Aldo Lestrade would take this lying down. He's going to B. Invade Skye and drat the consequences.

Yes, that man is so full of hate and bitterness that he will hide his own son if he catches him. Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
gently caress!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I have no idea what's going on here, so there's only one fair way for me to decide on my vote. :shepface:

:rolldice:

INVADE SKYE.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Eh.
Aldo isn't entirely stupid.
He'll just go A

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
On the contrary. Aldo is a control freak who's just been snubbed by his pawn.

Invade Skye

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Eh.
Aldo isn't entirely stupid.
He'll just go A

He is pretty stupid if he freely gives up his military production facilities. Especially ones that are relatively safe from the front lines.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Well, gently caress. Aldo doesn't need a two-front war. One thing at a time.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Skye (Federation of Skye, Isle of Skye, etc.) has always been one confusing clusterfuck for me no matter how many times I read about it on message boards or sarna.net. Before I make a vote, can someone please tell me what the hell is going on, both canon and alternate canon, because I see no significance in this situation.

It seems like a 'good' guy is now causing Skye to rebel while most of the time it's a 'bad' guy? :confused:

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Well, gently caress the kid won this round. Even Aldo can't be stupid enough to think that invading Skye is a good idea. Besides, he's gotta' be feeling a bit of pride at how the boy pulled off an intrigue this grand.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Defiance Industries posted:

Not with Hesperus II and Furillo willingly leaving the Commonwealth, they won't. Those two planets make up Defiance Industries, which not only means the LyrCom is out its main military production capacity, but also its top military R&D programs. I don't think this is anything more than a St. Ives Compact move, rather than an attempt to make a long-term nation, but it's certainly not something you just kick over.

What are you talking about. The Commonwealth still has CMW! Who needs Defiance Industries when you have Commandos?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

A. Well gently caress. (loki loki loki loki loki loki loki HEIMDALL HEIMDALL)

Also, FRR :hellyeah:

this time it won't be gimped and will get that sweet Comstar lucre backing it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Rick_Hunter posted:

Skye (Federation of Skye, Isle of Skye, etc.) has always been one confusing clusterfuck for me no matter how many times I read about it on message boards or sarna.net. Before I make a vote, can someone please tell me what the hell is going on, both canon and alternate canon, because I see no significance in this situation.

It seems like a 'good' guy is now causing Skye to rebel while most of the time it's a 'bad' guy? :confused:

So here's the deal. The Isle of Skye is a region of the Lyran Commonwealth that was an independent nation for a time before getting absorbed by the Commonwealth, and therefore has always had a strong independent streak in it.

Think Texas or Scotland.

In recent years, say since the late 3010s or so, the Lestrade family has been brewing trouble in the Isle of Skye. To be precise, they've played on that independent streak to try and discredit the current Archon in order to put a puppet Archon on the throne, one controlled by Duke Aldo Lestrade.

In the canon timeline, the Archon Lestrade was trying to outs was Katrina, but she was smarter than him and kept out-maneuvering him. By 3029 and the 4th Succession War, Lestrade had worked Skye up into a seccesionist frenzy, and planned to declare Skye independent if House Kurita attacked any Skye world. That plan failed when the Kell Hounds thwarted the Kurita attack, and before Lestrade could try again, he was ratted out by young Ryan Steiner. Aldo was then assassinated by his son Clovis, while his co-conspirator Frederick Steiner was sent on a suicide mission to stop Theodore Kurita from siezing the Isle of Skye for himself. The seccesionist feelings remained, however, and Ryan Steiner would try and play on them himself later in his career.

In the PTN timeline, however, Aldo succeeded in assassinating Katrina and turned Melissa into his puppet, allowing him to fulfill his dream of ruling the Commonwealth from behind the scenes. The seccsionist feelings in Skye that he had stirred up in his rise to power were still there, and Clovis has just used them to declare the Isle of Skye independent on his own. With Melissa slipped from his grasp, Aldo's going to put Frederick Steiner on the throne and keep ruling.

The question before us is whether Aldo would keep his mechs fighting the Clans and try to find some political way to deal with Clovis and Skye (A) or just try to crush Skye with a quick invasion (B).

We should also note that, according to Theodore Kurita and in the canon timeline, there are outstanding orders for the nekakami (ninja assassins) to kill Lestrade if Frederick ever becomes Archon. That way Theo would have a proper military enemy in charge of the LC instead of a political weasel like Lestrade. So there's that out there too.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
edit: hoping votes haven't been counted yet, B

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 2, 2011

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Gotta go with A. Here.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
ugh bunch of sissies voting, we should sow chaos not do our best to create a loving peacenick commune inner sphere.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Having the Steel Vipers completely overrun the Lyran Commonwealth isn't really interesting.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Affi posted:

ugh bunch of sissies voting, we should sow chaos not do our best to create a loving peacenick commune inner sphere.

A vote for chaos is a vote for ComStar turning the Inner Sphere into a loving peacenick hippy commune, though.

... Maybe. ;)

VVV Defiance Industries is, what... roughly 2/5ths of the Lyran Commonwealth's `Mech production capability? Possibly more?

The real danger is: Solaris is in Skye, and the Commonwealth's economy is in the toilet.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 1, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Lesson learnt about vote casting before know that actual choice, so my question is

How important are Skye's industrial facilities to the war effort?

It makes much more sense to invade if they are critical.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I still don't really "get it" the way you guys steeped in the Lore do, but it seems to me that option B is the violence option and option A is the unknown (but possibly less violence) option and when it comes to giant stompy shooty robots, I pick the violent option.

B: INVADE SKYE

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Oh now that adds a really interesting spin on this.

B: Invade. They're weak, we need the mechs, we should be able to wrap this up by Christmas while the clans are still faffing around doing something other than invading us. If we let them set this precedent now how many more will leave?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Short version the Isle of Skye is Quebec if Quebec had 1/2 of North Americas military manufacturing and controlled hollywood. Basically the Isle of Skye is an a semi permanent state of unrest towards the Lyran State with demands at best ranging from more autonomy to full scale independence but due to its industrial and economic might the lyrans cannot really afford to let it go and survive as an independent state.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
You'll understand when you see the next map update, Leperflesh.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

This will be the best map update, shame FRR probably isn't on it yet.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Lesson learnt about vote casting before know that actual choice, so my question is

How important are Skye's industrial facilities to the war effort?

It makes much more sense to invade if they are critical.

Both Hesperus II and Furillo are homes to Defiance Industries. The Hesperus II factory is the single biggest mech factory to survive the Succession Wars. The Furillo factory is lesser, but a still important factory. Almost all of the Lyrans Assault Mechs come from Hesperus.

On the other hand, Hesperus II is known for being completely impregnable, so the point is moot anyways. There is no way the LCAF is breaking through that.

On the plus side, if PTNverse is anything like Canon, the FWL should be ready to step up and start selling war materials. They haven't fallen into a Civil War...yet.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 2, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Ferrosol posted:

Short version the Isle of Skye is Quebec if Quebec had 1/2 of North Americas millatry manufacturing and controlled hollywood. Basically the Isle of Skye is an a semi permanent state of unrest towards the Lyran State with demands at best ranging from more autonomy to full scale independence but due to its industrial and economic might the lyrans cannot really afford to let it go and survive as an independent state.

So this is basically Leningrad defecting at the start of WWII....Invade Skye unless our forces are currently engaged with the Clans already

ASAP.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm guessing the war effort against the Clans isn't going well, is it?

• Locked thread