Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I know a guy who seriously believes the following:
  • His sister was a lesbian stripper ninja who had previously been a lover to Jessica Alba
  • This sister had canines down to her chin as she was part-cat and worked as a body guard to celebrities
  • Apparently they could telepathically communicate with each other too
  • He claimed him and his friends took over a Navy SEAL base using only riot equipment
  • He had apparently done 20 years of martial arts training (except he never told me which Dojo he trained at, his story of which martial arts he did changed every now and again and he told me he'd attained a black belt at the age of 14 in Judo but couldn't name one move and my understanding of Judo is that to get a black belt you normally have to be over the age of 18)
  • Various lies about his training and education - he seemed to have this weird obsession with the military/police force and martial arts despite being a short fat guy with a ponytail and no personal hygiene. He'd make up stuff about apparently having an uncle who taught him how to disarm armed assailants, but considering all the other stuff he's said I'm not really inclined to believe him.
  • Stuff about 'anime isn't cartoons' and how anime is a superior form of animation
  • He legally had his name changed from [Regular Average Joe name] to [Special Snowflake Anime Name] allegedly to "get away from his abusive father", completely ignoring the logic of if you want to escape somebody you should probably change your name to another [Regular Average Joe name] considering his [Special Snowflake Anime Name] was apparently known to his abusive dad.
  • None of this stuff would have been too bad if he was twelve years old, but I heard most of this when he was about 24 (and should probably know that people don't like it when you constantly bullshit to them to a point where they don't know whether you're serious or not anymore) and I was about 17.
  • Pretty sure there was some stuff about 'hearing his ancestors speaking to him' and 'hearing great martial artists speaking to him' telepathically as well.
  • Katana obsession (need I say more?)

He's now engaged to a friend of mine (they've been dating since she was 16 and he was 23/24 :gonk: and for reference we're both 21 now) so I still have to deal with him as I'm bridesmaid at the wedding. :sigh:

Before anyone asks, yes I did voice my concerns to my friend, but all she can see is "look! A guy is INTERESTED in ME!" :swoon: and promptly ignores the constant dumb lies and various other things that indicate he's a shady character. My reasoning is that if she ever comes to her senses (or even if she doesn't) she's going to need all the friends she can get - dating a loser doesn't mean she herself is a bad person or a bad friend.

froglet fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Nov 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

[*]Breaking her own glasses so she could pretend to be clutzy by dropping stuff 2ft away from the table she "meant" to set them on

This is a major anime trope. A clumsy girl is supposed to be the kawaii-est thing ever, presumably because it makes them seem more approachable and more dependent on boys to help them out of all the accidents they cause with their clumsiness. I'm guessing it shows up in moe shows a lot (I wouldn't know, I don't watch that poo poo).

Good lord, if someone started faking clumsiness to be cute around me, I think I'd have to punch them in the face.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'm pretty grateful that I didn't stick around with my own Denise to have enough stories for an Ask/Tell thread, but the high(low)lights were:
  • Putting on makeup to fake a black eye and claiming she was attacked by random thugs in an alleyway
  • Breaking her own glasses so she could pretend to be clutzy by dropping stuff 2ft away from the table she "meant" to set them on
  • Making a small cut in her hand so she could cough a lot and pretend to be coughing up blood
  • Wrapping her arm in bandages and claiming that she got gangrene from all the times she cut herself
  • Pretending that the aforementioned gangrene had gone inside of her and infected her internal organs, leaving her only 3 months to live
  • Calling me about a year after she was supposed to be dead pretending to have amnesia and wondering who this person on her phone contacts was (and me promptly changing my number within the week)

On the plus side, it did teach me a lot of lessons on how to spot The Crazy and avoid them in future.

Well, that sounds like actual Munchausen Syndrome.

e: froglet, did he also go to Libya to fight in the revolution?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I am legit clumsy and no cute boys have ever helped me out and then spontaneously became my boyfriend :(

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mixoux posted:

It doesn't help that certain groups in the West will purposefully hype up certain elements as being very mystical and spiritual to attract recruits, whilst completely ignoring the rest of the religion/culture.

Maybe it's just where I live but around here yoga is hyped up more as good exercise and for some people a place to show off your body etc. rather than anything deeply spiritual or some kind of gateway into falling in love with Indian culture. I've been going to yoga classes every once in a while for years because its really good for my back and posture, and I can only remember one instructor who really got ~*spiritual*~ with it (and yes it was really bad, like borderline parody bad). I think most westerners who do yoga just find it relaxing and something that makes them feel good physically, it's not really comparable to being obsessed with cartoons and then assuming you belong in some other culture due to those cartoons.

I did once go to an Anoushka Shankar concert where there were white dudes wearing sari's and bindi's and trying to stand on their heads and poo poo and that is what I would call "Indian weeaboo-ism" but I've never seen anything like that at a yoga class.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 1, 2011

Cataphract Paladin
Sep 17, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

I am legit clumsy and no cute boys have ever helped me out and then spontaneously became my boyfriend :(

Well, I'd take that as a good thing. If I were a legit clumsy girl and some guys fawn over me because of that perceived cuteness, some severe creeping out would be in short order.

(Unless that last one was sarcasm, of course. I honestly can't tell.)

quote:

... they have a term for that kind of thing?

I guess I learn something new every day.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Same here. Usually I get stares and a few "what the hell is wrong with you?"s though.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Stultus Maximus posted:

e: froglet, did he also go to Libya to fight in the revolution?

Is it bad that I knew who you were referring to when you said Libya?

But no, the guy isn't Caro.
Edit: I don't think I can really convey in words how flakey this guy was. There was just no substance or drive to him, I doubt he could even go to TAFE and get a qualification because he'd be too busy talking about how great he is. He is like a cardboard cutout "bogan" stereotype except with a massive hardon for Glorious Nippon and tabletop RPGs.
Caro, on the other hand went to loving Libya to fight in a revolution. :stare:

froglet fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 1, 2011

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I seem to be causing some cross-discussion on India-booism in this thread. Uglynoodles (and mods), would you prefer me to start a new thread or just continue on?

Putting up a brief post below for now, because I just realised a few new things about Henriette.

Ask me about studying law with a girl who thinks she's married to Sai Baba

Previously: The Girl in the Sari

A Note on Henriette

As you may way know, "Henriette" is not my ex-coursemate's real name. I'd prefer to avoid Internet detective bullshit, which I'm going to explain why here.

After putting up the previous story, I googled up Henriette's real name, and the digital footprint she left on the Internet is... pretty massive. Henriette has always had an ego, but I wasn't aware it was big enough for her to start so many blogs/websites and devote almost everything to Henriette Henriette Henriette.

One of the things I found was her flickr.

Previously in college, Henriette was just purely crazy about India and being all SAI BABA IS GREAT, among other things. She just struck us as someone who read way too many books on Mystical India, knowing some things here and there - mostly Sai Baba - and not much else.

What I discovered was that Henriette has been to India not just once, but several times. And she wasn't there doing just touristy stuff. She was bringing toys and donations to impoverished kids in a village school.

This was hardly the Henriette I knew back in college, so you could imagine my surprise. Now, there were some questionable photos - she was the pure focus of almost every single shot (no individual or group pictures with just the children) - that may bring to question her motives, but personally I'm more supportive of the fact that there are kids out there who got some happiness in their lives regardless of how much of a wacko their benefactor was. As long as she's doing some good for needy people, I'm all right with that.

So Henriette, bless her soul, turns out to be actually all right now despite being potentially nuts when she was doing law. Am I still going to tell stories? Unless the thread object, I'll write up more, but I'm going to remove any speculation I have in the stories and just present facts. That means I'm not going to write some of the more personal stuff, like the "death of a classmate" tale I promised earlier. Keep in mind that I'm talking about Henriette before become a philanthropist, and not Henriette now. Treat them as two different persons.

Then again, Henriette recently created a facebook fanpage of herself, where all the members are her family and friends, and now calls herself Dr Henriette. So there's that, I guess.

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 3, 2011

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My weaboo was this pudgy guy with awful long greasy hair who claimed he could break your arm like three times with only one hand or something equally absurd. I used to roleplay with him and he always wanted to be a female Twilek Jedi. He was really into anime and drawing furry versions of his "internet girlfriend" that he met at "art camp".

Once, my friends left peanuts in his mailbox with a note that said, "From assassins," because he had a deadly peanut allergy.

The last I heard he was living in a trailer and got lice.

At what point do you watch enough DBZ that you actually believe you can fight? Where is that programmed into our brains?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Haraksha posted:

At what point do you watch enough DBZ that you actually believe you can fight? Where is that programmed into our brains?

It's like play-acting. When I was little, it was Power Rangers. You saw them do martial arts on the TV box, and then you pretended to do the same things. Some people just take it a step further and assume that pretending to do the same things long enough means you're doing the same things. Even if that thing is firing giant death lasers from your dick.

Morzox
Oct 29, 2011

FEAR FOR YOUR SOUL
Clumsy girls also seem like a pretty popular trope in western media these days, too, if you've ever seen a romantic comedy released in the past decade or so.

Anyway, I never actually had a friend like this to the best of my memory (if I did it was when I was young enough that that sort of thing wasn't actually outright stupid), but I remember there existing a girl in my school who may have fit the bill.

See, I went to a really small private school that had around maybe 500 people grades K-12, so oddballs like this tended to stick out. I was the sort who tried to ignore gossip and dirt-flinging, because I needed as many friends as I could manage and didn't like to make second-hand assumptions about people. So if I heard one of my circle of friends was caught having sex with another one of our group who I was slightly less amiable toward, I would just shrug it off and carry on the status quo. It was useful back then, because I ended up being on good terms with all 40 of my graduating grade.

Anyway, back then, this story kept catching my attention, if only because of its weirdness. There was some girl in the younger grades who pretty much always wore camo pants and combat boots, had short wooly hair, and a kind of freckly, hyper sort of face. She was kind of tall for her age but not by much if I remember right. This is all kind of second-hand because mind you, I never actually met the girl or even spoke to her, but these stories were persistent.

Way I heard it was she believed she was the reincarnation of some Martian princess or something like that, and that the necklace she always wore carried her soul, or something to that effect. And I think she insisted that she be called by the name of her Martian Princess self, and she wouldn't respond to anything else. I don't remember all the crazy details, but I remember it sounding off to me because the kid looked perfectly normal as far as I could tell. I'm pretty sure she was into anime and the like, too, and she seemed to get along with at least a few kids in her grade, but other people seemed to find her disagreeable or unfriendly or something, but again as far as I ever saw I can't remember her with anything other than a dorky happy expression on her face. Maybe she was just passive aggressive? I just remember my core friends (simultaneously the most fair ones and also the most gossipy ones, almost to a paradoxical extent) were extremely puzzled by her. I think in the end we just decided not to meddle in her affairs, since a) she seemed pretty happy, and b) hell, it wasn't even our grade, what did it matter to us?

Kind of weak for a first contribution, but I guess it at least goes to show that even if you didn't have "that friend" you at least probably knew "that person".

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Ask me about studying law with a girl who think she's married to Sai Baba

I'd say as long as you're using a psuedonym for her, be as personal as you want to/to make the stories as interesting as possible. I personally think that knowing she tried to do something "better" with her life makes all the weirdness more interesting.

Although it does also sound an awful lot like those types who go to Africa and other impoverished countries to help "build homes" but really do it more for just a photo op on their Facebook.

But, really. Unless others object or you're really not comfortable with it, I throw out a vote for "all the details".

PutinOnTheRitz
Oct 25, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

There's a difference between really liking/loving a culture and being a *-aboo. Considering how little European culture the US gets (I'm just assuming you're a US goon :razz: ) directly from Europe, I'd probably hoard all the spatzel I could too, if I was a fan.

So maybe you're a little bit of a "Deutschaboo" but you aren't expecting to go over there and the whole country be made of oompah music and folks running around in stereotypical oktoberfest clothes and stuff. Weeaboos generally really do think anime=Japan.

E: All that said, I wanna go too. The dog training over there is a hell of an experience :swoon:

Canadian actually, but most Europeans don't give a poo poo about the difference and just say "American", meaning North America. Personally, I see that as just as offensive as calling a Scot and Englishman.

I started out loving the language, which devolved into "Holy crap Germany/Scandinavia as a whole makes awesomely cheesy metal" which snowballed into "I MUST LEARN EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS COUNTRY". Not helped by my massive crush on an old German teacher of mine. Of course I don't expect it all to be exactly what I have in my head, but I have a total Denise-like fear of going there and it being completely awful and not what I expected.

On a related note- Does SA know/has there been a thread about PixyTeryaki? She sounds very much like someone who would fit in this thread.

Nichole
Nov 5, 2009
I've really been enjoying this thread, but this whole mindset is really alien to me. I went to high school in the 90's and I don't remember anyone being like this. There were a few weird goth kids, but I don't think they were this delusional. I didn't even hear about anime until I was in my 20's and I don't think I've ever seen one movie/show/whatever.

I just can not really grasp how anyone over the age of 12 can really actually believe that they are soul bonded to a character or something. When I was young I read fantasy books and would kind of imagine myself in the stories but never actually believed those characters existed or something. I always new it was a story, nothing more.

What does kawaii mean anyway?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Kawaii means cute.

It's also not exactly normal to latch to something to this extent; but it's more of a symptom of a much deeper mental issue. On the one hand reading this stuff is amusing; picturing someone fully believing this stuff and wondering how it is even remotely possible to, and on the other it is also incredibly sad. That is a great deal of escapism.

DakianDelomast
Mar 5, 2003
I would like to mention that I was borderline one of these kids. Not the fat smelly type but delusional and secluded. Middle School loving sucked for whatever reason so rather than talk with people I fantasized. I was real big into Star Wars so I imagined a world where I was a rogue imperial agent undercover in the school and they were going to pick me up and take me away.

But it was IMAGINARY. Ironically it became a part of the basis for a D6 Star Wars campaign I DMed with friends from High School. Despite me developing this fantasy I never once shirked my schoolwork or told people that a TIE Fighter was going to pick me up one day. It got me through the day of being a social outcast. I grew out of it in HS when my social life improved but I don't understand how someone flips the switch between imagination and core belief.

Uglynoodles and Kat, you're good people for doing everything for Denise that you did. You were far more of a human to her than someone as selfish as her ever deserved. As much as I feel the urge to punch delusional people in the face, they honestly are broken in some way. Maybe she just couldn't cope with her life so she let her fantasy consume her. Whatever the case, I hope you feel good about how you treated her and how you ended up.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

PutinOnTheRitz posted:

On a related note- Does SA know/has there been a thread about PixyTeryaki? She sounds very much like someone who would fit in this thread.
I don't think there's been a post specifically about her but I posted some stuff in the Awkward & Ugly thread here. She's a whole new kind of crazy.

Edit: Here's her ED: http://encyclopediadramatica.ch/Pixyteri

Hormones fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 1, 2011

Frost Alias
Feb 19, 2011

DakianDelomast posted:

I would like to mention that I was borderline one of these kids.

I was going to say something, but then I was too afraid. Thanks for posting this because I, too, was a borderline "one of THOSE kids". Not to the extent where I ignored hygiene (although I'm still in the process of reversing the extra weight I gained through my teenage years because of this poo poo) or made poor grades, either. But I was pretty delusional.

I got very deeply into online chat role playing. Some good things eventually came of it, but for the most part I had pretty much no good friends or actual social skills until I was almost 20. I had a reputation for being the quiet girl at school. Nobody but the assholiest of jocks gave me any trouble, but my high school was strangely bullying-free as a whole, from what I saw.

By being "deeply into" it, I mean it was basically my life. Everything that happened on those chats mattered to me, and I actually developed some pretty bad stress and anxiety problems because of it. To an extent, I knew it wasn't ACTUALLY real, but part of me always had that tiny little hope that maybe there was some actual place like it where I belonged. Fortunately it never extended beyond that. It makes me think that there are two levels of this kind of crazy: The kind where you hold back enough, keep most of your sanity, and eventually grow out of it (me), or you have no filter like that and just continue to live in that fantasy world forever (Denise and several others mentioned here).

ornery bean
Nov 7, 2010

Are uglynoodles and Kat done talking about Denise? :( I noticed uglynoodles touched on all the subjects in the OP.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

ornery bean posted:

Are uglynoodles and Kat done talking about Denise? :( I noticed uglynoodles touched on all the subjects in the OP.

I think she has yet to talk about when denise actually went to Japan, the last Denise-related post seemed to end on a cliffhanger

DakianDelomast
Mar 5, 2003

Frost Alias posted:

I was going to say something, but then I was too afraid. Thanks for posting this because I, too, was a borderline "one of THOSE kids".

:hf:

Everyone copes differently. Glad you shared and it's good to hear you're turning it around!

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Don't worry, I'm not done -- writing a post at the moment! And Kat's studying for her language tests.

Thanks for being patient!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Not as much patience as it is :suspense: .

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Haraksha posted:

My weaboo was this pudgy guy with awful long greasy hair who claimed he could break your arm like three times with only one hand or something equally absurd. I used to roleplay with him and he always wanted to be a female Twilek Jedi. He was really into anime and drawing furry versions of his "internet girlfriend" that he met at "art camp".

If there's one thing I've learned over the years is to never, ever, EVER roleplay with any guys who want to play a female character.

A hot female character. And he goes into great detail on how skimpy her outfit is. And his solution to every problem is "I try to seduce the badguy" and then argues that it can't fail because he has a 25 in Charisma.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
To be perfectly fair, given enough time and a patient enough victim it wouldn't be that difficult to break an arm in multiple places one-handed.

Wandering Knitter posted:

A hot female character.

That bugs me too. I know some folks get really insecure thinking about dudes playing female chars in MMOs, but that doesn't nearly give me the willies like the thought of a guy doing pen/paper RP pretending to be some kind of seductress. I just can't help but wonder what unconscious thing they've got going to make that seem appealing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dudes playing chicks in tabletop games isn't the real issue - that can be fine. It's creepy dudes playing chicks. These people are terrible and you shouldn't play with them, but not every man that plays a woman is a creepy man. It's easiest online, of course, where you don't have to remember that Phil across the table is playing a woman with his baritone voice.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

A hot female character. And he goes into great detail on how skimpy her outfit is. And his solution to every problem is "I try to seduce the badguy" and then argues that it can't fail because he has a 25 in Charisma.

This person you are describing. I know this person.

He turned out to be a total creeper and couldn't be attracted to a girl unless she physically looked 14-16 (there is some slim hope that he'll just stick with young-looking women rather than going straight for the real deal, since I have not heard otherwise yet). And that's only the start of his issues.

He also believed in "soul-bonds" and his hot-chick elf girl who he roleplayed as (and yes, can't fail to seduce because she has 25 charisma) was a real entity in his head somehow.

Cataphract Paladin
Sep 17, 2011

quote:

It's easiest online, of course, where you don't have to remember that Phil across the table is playing a woman with his baritone voice.

Speaking of RPing and guys roleplaying as girls, in one of my online RPs I thought a particular guy was a girl for the longest time owing to his playing a female character extremely convincingly.

Besides, is that not a trait of a good RPer? Being able to tackle any and every character types regardless of gender, alignment, class or all that with equal (okay, not exactly equal, bu you get my point) ease?

No Hephaestus
Aug 7, 2010

im fucking furious.

Cataphract Paladin posted:

Speaking of RPing and guys roleplaying as girls, in one of my online RPs I thought a particular guy was a girl for the longest time owing to his playing a female character extremely convincingly.

Besides, is that not a trait of a good RPer? Being able to tackle any and every character types regardless of gender, alignment, class or all that with equal (okay, not exactly equal, bu you get my point) ease?

Well, yeah. I don't think the people they're discussing are what you'd call...good anything.

No Hephaestus fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 22, 2012

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
There's a huge difference between roleplaying as somebody the opposite gender for the sake of plot and gameplay, and roleplaying as the opposite gender because you get off on it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

"soul-bonds"

I know this thread is somewhat derailing here (well, at least we're still talking about crazy people with videogame boyfriends), but there was a thread a while back that kept tabs on the musings of a person who moved in with a "soul-bonded" crazy chick.

One time the writer came home to the girl having a "wedding" ceremony in front of the Playstation. The console was playing Suikoden and she was getting married to a character in the game whom she soul-bonded with. She also shared the Denise traits of having awful hygiene habits, narcissism, and selfishness.

The thread was just reposts of the original blog, I think it was (surprise!) LiveJournal. The stories got shut down once the writer caught wise to the SA thread. Anyone remember this? It was taking place during the summer of 2008 if that helps.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

There's a huge difference between roleplaying as somebody the opposite gender for the sake of plot and gameplay, and roleplaying as the opposite gender because you get off on it.

I was trying to come up with a polite way to say "I'm going to Mary Sue myself raw thinking about my character tonight."

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Exactly. I've known people who can roleplay both genders perfectly fine. It's pretty much a needed skill if you ever want to run a game. Hell, I've had my share of male characters for the sake of trying something new.

I'm talking about the guy who, when he found out he couldn't play a female humanoid dragon instead rolled up a large chested elven princess with a pet tiny gold dragon. No armor of course, that'd just get in the way of his breasts.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I know this thread is somewhat derailing here (well, at least we're still talking about crazy people with videogame boyfriends), but there was a thread a while back that kept tabs on the musings of a person who moved in with a "soul-bonded" crazy chick.

One time the writer came home to the girl having a "wedding" ceremony in front of the Playstation. The console was playing Suikoden and she was getting married to a character in the game whom she soul-bonded with. She also shared the Denise traits of having awful hygiene habits, narcissism, and selfishness.

The thread was just reposts of the original blog, I think it was (surprise!) LiveJournal. The stories got shut down once the writer caught wise to the SA thread. Anyone remember this? It was taking place during the summer of 2008 if that helps.

Oh, the Sarah Saga.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Exactly. I've known people who can roleplay both genders perfectly fine. It's pretty much a needed skill if you ever want to run a game. Hell, I've had my share of male characters for the sake of trying something new.

I'm talking about the guy who, when he found out he couldn't play a female humanoid dragon instead rolled up a large chested elven princess with a pet tiny gold dragon. No armor of course, that'd just get in the way of his breasts.

It's actually kind of funny to watch some of this, especially online where guys are trying to pretend they're girls so they'll get less criticism on the female characters they write/RP/play in MMOs/etc. Guys, we can tell. Seriously. We can really tell. For one thing, no real life woman spends that much time talking about her boobs.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hormones posted:

Oh, the Sarah Saga.

Pity all the links there are dead.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Cataphract Paladin posted:

This is the part where I out myself as a massive nerd: Yeah, our DM gives us extra XP for good role-play or interesting solutions to problems. Half the fun of tabletop games is trying to work with what you're given to get over the obstacles.

dumb brunette posted:

It's actually kind of funny to watch some of this, especially online where guys are trying to pretend they're girls so they'll get less criticism on the female characters they write/RP/play in MMOs/etc. Guys, we can tell. Seriously. We can really tell. For one thing, no real life woman spends that much time talking about her boobs.

In MMOs I usually play a male character to avoid the many creepy creeps who say some pretty horrific things to any woman who dares to log in. The trouble is there's never really a good time, when I've made friends with someone and I'm pretty sure they're not creepy, to tell them that their friend "James" is actually a girl.

Stottie Kyek fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 2, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

PutinOnTheRitz posted:

Canadian actually, but most Europeans don't give a poo poo about the difference and just say "American", meaning North America. Personally, I see that as just as offensive as calling a Scot and Englishman.

Why in blue blazes would that offend you? You're just as American as a Mexican or Brazilian person would be. It's not our fault that the States decided that they were apparently the sole nationality on the continent(s) and didn't need a nation-specific pronoun.

PutinOnTheRitz posted:

I started out loving the language, which devolved into "Holy crap Germany/Scandinavia as a whole makes awesomely cheesy metal" which snowballed into "I MUST LEARN EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS COUNTRY". Not helped by my massive crush on an old German teacher of mine. Of course I don't expect it all to be exactly what I have in my head, but I have a total Denise-like fear of going there and it being completely awful and not what I expected.

Those places are still western, at least. As a Scandinavian, I personally think they're pretty awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Kajeesus posted:

Why in blue blazes would that offend you? You're just as American as a Mexican or Brazilian person would be. It's not our fault that the States decided that they were apparently the sole nationality on the continent(s) and didn't need a nation-specific pronoun.

No, because us Canadians don't like to be lumped in with the pro-life, patriotic and religious idiots that make up "the States". It is pretty offensive.

• Locked thread