Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

There's nothing more infuriating than to play your dick off and end up with a tie. So glad we do shootouts.

There's nothing more infuriating than to play your dick off and lose in the shootout because your effort and teamplay is of no use in the skills competition against their SICK SNIPEZ BRO.

e: Also, I hate the teams that are penned in their own end for 80% of the game but have those two ringers who will dangle past everyone and score 3-4 goals a game between them.

Robo-Pope fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Sorry, but I agree with you robo-pope.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Robo-Pope posted:

There's nothing more infuriating than to play your dick off and lose in the shootout because your effort and teamplay is of no use in the skills competition against their SICK SNIPEZ BRO.

I'd much rather have a resolution to the game than to not. How are you supposed to talk poo poo after the game over beers?

"Oh yeah bro, we totally........ tied you guys. See you in 8 weeks when we may be able to resolve this. Maybe. :smith:"

quote:

e: Also, I hate the teams that are penned in their own end for 80% of the game but have those two ringers who will dangle past everyone and score 3-4 goals a game between them.

100% agree. It's funny when their team is down in the third. They put all the danglers out on the ice for the last 5 minutes of the game and they all try to win it on their own going coast-to-coast. But really get around 2 guys and get poked by the D-man because they won't pass.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'd much rather have a resolution to the game than to not. How are you supposed to talk poo poo after the game over beers?

"Oh yeah bro, we totally........ tied you guys. See you in 8 weeks when we may be able to resolve this. Maybe. :smith:"

Actually, this would be the most hilarious poo poo-talk ever. With the seriousness level of my league, this would be great.

quote:

100% agree. It's funny when their team is down in the third. They put all the danglers out on the ice for the last 5 minutes of the game and they all try to win it on their own going coast-to-coast. But really get around 2 guys and get poked by the D-man because they won't pass.

Sigh... if only the D-men at my level could stop that. (Our levels are numbered 1-5, 5 being the best; I'm in Level 2.) I seem to be the only guy who has figured out that if you can match their speed, they will invariably hand the puck to you because they only have one move. And I'm typically a forward.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
I know we had this discussion a couple pages back, but what is the lifetime of a 60 flex stick used uniquely for wrist shots? Average height, weight, and strength. Some guys thought it would break within days especially from slashing I theorized that the added give would give it some extra life in the case of slashing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Only one data point, but I use an Intermediate 67 flex TotalOne and the shaft lasted 9 months before it snapped. It was 99.999% wristers during games. I do practice slappers during stick time though, but only because it was pathetic.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Estimating the lifetime of a stick is insanity. It's impossible to tell how your stick is going to be used and abused. Each instance is a unique snowflake.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

It should last 143 skates, assuming an average TOI of 20:00 per game.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
So the family is starting to ask for christmas ideas.

I was already planning to ask for some skates (Bauer Vapor X3 LE or X4 but I hate the red white and black) and I swear by Bauer because they fit my feet.

But I also need some new pants. To me, any pant is an improvement over my coopers, no kidney protection, the high hip pads have vanished somehow and its a good thing that I don't attempt to block a lot of shots. Did I mention that I have no plastic to protect my tailbone or spine? Christmas won't come soon enough.

I was looking at stuff above the entry level but less than $100. I'm 5'10" but skinny so I generally wear a small but prefer longer pants if at possible.

Suggestions would be very welcomed.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Have you considered the Bauer Supreme series? If you're worried about colors they're a lot more palatable but not sure if you like the forward feel of Vapors already.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

sellouts posted:

Have you considered the Bauer Supreme series? If you're worried about colors they're a lot more palatable but not sure if you like the forward feel of Vapors already.

I always wear vapors, they fit my feet the best and I love the feel. All of my skates in the past few years have been vapors for that reason. No break in or anything, they literally fit perfectly out of the box without bake.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

gce posted:

any advice on really painful arches with a new pair of skates? they're my first pair in more than 10 years of being off the ice so i'm not sure if my feet are just weak and i'll get used to it. after about 10 minutes of skating, my arches get really tight and very uncomfortable. what are my options? bake the skates? sack up?

If you have never skated or haven't skated in a year or something your arches will hurt and possibly a lot. It just happens. Give it a week or two. Sometimes because my feet are weird my feet would hurt when I get on the ice right away but after a few minutes of skating but then sitting and not skating hard my feet would kind of "warm up" then I'd be fine.

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!

Verman posted:

I was looking at stuff above the entry level but less than $100. I'm 5'10" but skinny so I generally wear a small but prefer longer pants if at possible.

Suggestions would be very welcomed.

You can get Bauer Supreme pants in tall sizes, although only on the higher end models.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-pants-supreme-one80-sr.html

Those might work, they come in Small Tall, but they're exactly $100.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

6am drop-in. 8" of new snow from last night and no one showed up but me :iiam:

Ran drills for an hour and a half straight. Tried this one, but with a puck. gently caress that drill so hard. Escape turns to the forehand with a puck are next-to-goddamned-impossible. This one is a ton of fun, though.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 2, 2011

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

Dangerllama posted:

Ran drills for an hour and a half straight. Tried this one, but with a puck. gently caress that drill so hard. Escape turns to the forehand with a puck are next-to-goddamned-impossible. This one is a ton of fun, though.

You can do a version of that in which you hit both hash marks and the top and bottom of the circle going backwards, describing figure-eights between the center and each point, making the turns as tight as possible. When I first learned it, the directive was, "if you don't fall down, you're not doing it right."

For an escape move to the forehand, you have the option of either flipping your hands over each other—so if you're right handed, your left (anchor) hand will end up on the right side of your body and vice versa, essentially replicating the backhand posture in which the stick leads your body—or bringing the puck into your feet and cradling it closer in. I prefer the latter, because with the former when you come out of the turn you're too crossed up to do anything with the puck on short notice.

Either method always does seem to come with a good chance of the puck flying into the corner, though.

[Edit:] I couldn't find it online, but here's the 30 second home-made version:

Gives you tighter, longer turns, and you can mix it up forwards, backwards, and tack stuff onto the end. Eats up a good bit of wind too.

Green Submarine fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 2, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wish I had snow already. :smith:

It's still barely getting into the 30's at night here in the Chicago area.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

xzzy posted:

I rode my bike to work this morning with nothing but a long sleeve shirt. It was 55º

I was hoping that it would be cold enough by christmas to start skating on my parents lake in Michigan. Not looking very promising.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The farmer's almanac said this would be a cold winter, liars! :argh:

I've been counting days until outdoor ice too.. since September.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

^^^ It's another La Niña winter, broseph. Should be just like last year - and by that I mean...bomber snow for backcountry skiing beeeeeeyoooooootch!!!!!

Green Submarine posted:

For an escape move to the forehand, you have the option of either flipping your hands over each other—so if you're right handed, your left (anchor) hand will end up on the right side of your body and vice versa, essentially replicating the backhand posture in which the stick leads your body—or bringing the puck into your feet and cradling it closer in. I prefer the latter, because with the former when you come out of the turn you're too crossed up to do anything with the puck on short notice.

The difficult part is the footwork, not really the turn itself or cradling the puck once the turn is initiated. I can do escape turns all day, it's pulling the puck around to lead the the transition from backward-to-forward on the forehand that's the difficult bit. I shoot right, so as I pivot my left foot around to initiate the turn, my upper-body naturally wants to open up like I'm Bryan Boitano. Unfortunately, that's the exact opposite of what needs to happen in order to move the puck into the turn.

I'll have to check the googs for good video examples of what I'm talking about.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 2, 2011

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

So are you talking about the turn that dude you linked is doing around the puck on the inside hashmark (where the puck would have to travel a ridiculous distance if he were to have one)?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yes. If you watch him, he would basically put the puck into the far corner every time he did the move. Usually, in a game situation, if I'm making a move like that, I transition to skating forward (i.e. facing my own end) and then make the escape move to the forehand.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 2, 2011

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

Yeah, poo poo, I dunno. I'd have to try it or see a video, because the mechanics don't seem at all obvious to me off hand. My instinct in a game situation would probably be to chip the puck across my body to where I wanted to end up rather than trying to control it through something like that, but that's probably not strictly good form.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can't listen to the audio right now, but does he ever suggest doing that with a puck?

It looks to me like his only goal is to alternate left and right turns, working both sides of his body.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Dangerllama posted:

That would rule so hard.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Shut the gently caress up I have to walk to class in the snow

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lawnie posted:

Shut the gently caress up I have to walk to class in the snow

Snow is awesome, I'm sorry you hate awesome things.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It's only November. I guarantee its going to be a lovely winter if you have to work for a living and an awesome winter if you don't.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

xzzy posted:

The CPD outdoor rinks are supposed to open up on November 26th, let's hope that actually happens.

My favorite outdoor rink is one in Evergreen Park, where they have open rat every night, Tuesday - Friday. It's outdoors but covered by a roof, so the ice surface isn't too rough either.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

bytebark posted:

The CPD outdoor rinks are supposed to open up on November 26th, let's hope that actually happens.

My favorite outdoor rink is one in Evergreen Park, where they have open rat every night, Tuesday - Friday. It's outdoors but covered by a roof, so the ice surface isn't too rough either.

Where do you guys play in Chicago outdoors? I know that the University of Chicago has an olympic sized outdoor rink but I think its only for public skate. I know about the rinks at Milennium Park but those are also only for public skate.

I remember hearing a few of my hockey friends talking about playing outdoors but I can't remember where.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
That rink in Evergreen Park (a south suburb, not a part of the city) has open rat. There's also an outdoor rink in Elmhurst that hosts leagues, although last time I looked, no rat hockey. The CPD rinks don't have rat times listed on the website. However, the one by me has nets and I've seen people using them. I guess you could go to each rink and find out when they have it. The also CPD rinks have pretty crude ice conditions - always good and cold, but rough and possibly covered in snow and leaves. I don't think they have lines/faceoff dots either ... but again, if ice is what you're looking for, those rinks are there.

A few northern suburbs also have unattended outdoor rinks, but on their website they say that hockey is not permitted and they're only for recreational skating.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not "in" Chicago, I'm way out in the west suburbs.

Naperville has a couple outdoor rinks, and I've heard Oswego and Montgomery set up an unattended rink, but not sure where. All of this is through word of mouth so I'm going to be doing some hunting once it gets below freezing.

I had this wild idea to set up a shooting pad on my patio this winter, but I don't think I'm going to do it.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 2, 2011

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Pretty much anywhere :smuggo:

I live by the blue dot. Ottawa is awesome for outdoor rinks. Plus we have the canal for just skating. Aka, dates.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Hmm, yeah I was thinking more in the city. I have a spot to play at the Riverside country club but its out near Forrest Park and I can only get in through my girlfriends dad.

I kind of want to organize a group of people to get together and flood some place guerilla style.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Verman posted:

I kind of want to organize a group of people to get together and flood some place guerilla style.

You do have to be careful though, it's pretty common for park district ice to forbid hockey.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Verman posted:

My favorite is to wrap around the net, along the boards, and rather than passing it up the boards to the D man, or into the traffic heavy slot, I would quickly throw it at the net from where the goal line meets the boards.

The goalie is looking for the pass to the D or for the puck to end up in front of him, when you put it between him and the net, or bounce it off his feet, hes been caught off guard.

He's at relative ease because you are along the boards meaning that you aren't attempting a wrap around shot. The goalie thinks that you have now become less of a threat compared to the D man or the guy in the slot so his attention changes from you to the other 2 threats. I had at least 3-4 goals this season from a simple play like this. This isn't counting the goals that were done though the same set up but instead passing to the blue line or the slot.

The James Neal play. I do this at least once a game and it is always at least a scoring chance. Usually a decent chance of a rebound for the forward crashing the net as well.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

It was pretty dope having the rink to myself for the first 20 minutes, after that I kind of wanted to play some drop-in. The hardest part about being completely alone is really pushing yourself to run the drills as hard as you can. I had the ice for an hour and 45 minutes, but I was completely spent after about an hour.

Doctor Butts posted:

It's only November. I guarantee its going to be a lovely winter if you have to work for a living and an awesome winter if you don't.

It stopped snowing here around 10am, with a storm total of about 8".

It's now 1:30pm, the snow is half melted and the roads are completely dry.

Colorado :rock:

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Has anyone tried cleaning their inline bearings? I've noticed I have been going a lot slower than when I first got the skates. I think they are Mission Swiss bearings, not sure if they are sealed or not. Wasnt sure what to try.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

dms666 posted:

Has anyone tried cleaning their inline bearings? I've noticed I have been going a lot slower than when I first got the skates. I think they are Mission Swiss bearings, not sure if they are sealed or not. Wasnt sure what to try.

Its not really worth the hassle to try to clean them out. They will sound 10x worse than when you started. I generally just keep adding lube which will open them up for a little while, I change my bearings just about every other year. Wheels generally go as well.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

dms666 posted:

Did you lube them up after you cleaned them? What did you clean them with?

I've cleaned mine after I played some outdoor and my bearings were dirty as all hell. Soaked them in acetone and spin them a few times to get the grime out. Let them FULLY dry then lube them up and they should be good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

lazerwolf posted:

Did you lube them up after you cleaned them? What did you clean them with?

I've cleaned mine after I played some outdoor and my bearings were dirty as all hell. Soaked them in acetone and spin them a few times to get the grime out. Let them FULLY dry then lube them up and they should be good to go.

I didnt try doing anything yet, wasnt sure what to try

Not even really sure how to lube them, they look like these, http://www.baysideblades.com.au/inline_skates_dt/skate_accessories/skate_bearings/red_pro_abec9_4pack.htm , do I have to pull off that rubber seal? If so, is there an easy way?

dms666 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 3, 2011