Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

less than three posted:

gently caress dealing with Shaw.

Estimated wait time: Over 2 hours. :suicide:

Yeah, I can't even begin to give an excuse for the hold times in residential. TBQH if you have a twitter account, @ShawHelp is gonna be your best bet. They usually pick up tweets very quickly, and they will do their best to make sure a competent rep gets the callback request.

Alternatively if you want to PM me details I can arrange for a callback, but twitter may be most elegant solution since they are usually quite good at getting callbacks *right now*.

(This is not an official statement by Shaw, just a friendly recommendation. Please don't kill me for sending you more work, social media team.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Drakkus posted:

advice

Thank you for that, but it's a cancellation request that can't be dealt with over Twitter. Though credit to the call back system, it said 2 hours and actually did call me back around 2 hours later.

With Shaw's unwillingness to mention that I could get the same service for ~$140 with the new Plan Personalizer(tm) compared to $160 currently my decision is pretty much made. (The 140 being no discount, just standard pricing.)

I'm going to call again tomorrow though, to either set cancellation or switch to the above mentioned rate. Else my parents will finally switch to Telus. (As I'd been suggesting, but they'd rather keep paying $20/more per month than have Telus in their house for 6 hours switching everything over to Optik. :suicide:)

Of course, this is nothing against you as a Shaw CSR, but really their residential CSR service is so abysmal I'd switch even if it means paying more to Telus.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

less than three posted:

Thank you for that, but it's a cancellation request that can't be dealt with over Twitter. Though credit to the call back system, it said 2 hours and actually did call me back around 2 hours later.

With Shaw's unwillingness to mention that I could get the same service for ~$140 with the new Plan Personalizer(tm) compared to $160 currently my decision is pretty much made. (The 140 being no discount, just standard pricing.)

I'm going to call again tomorrow though, to either set cancellation or switch to the above mentioned rate. Else my parents will finally switch to Telus. (As I'd been suggesting, but they'd rather keep paying $20/more per month than have Telus in their house for 6 hours switching everything over to Optik. :suicide:)

Of course, this is nothing against you as a Shaw CSR, but really their residential CSR service is so abysmal I'd switch even if it means paying more to Telus.

The new Shaw Personalizer(tm) will give you less channels for the same price of the original digital plan! What value!!

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

less than three posted:

Yea my parents just did this they are saving like $40 a month off cable/phone bill for bundling for better serivce.

Junubee
Feb 24, 2004

Cut it out, the players don't want to hear my problems.

ToxicFrog posted:

TekSavvy not only has one, it has a "enter your phone number and hang up and we'll call you back when you reach the head of the queue" feature, which should be loving standard for any sort of corporate phone contact at this point.

And yet TS is the only place I've called that has it.

MTS does this as well, and yes, it's fantastic.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I took the plunge and ordered Teksavvy 15/1 cable. Had it set up on the 5th and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Peak hours I'm downloading around
800kb/s-1.1mb (I probably have the wrong terminology?). Tested a torrent last night and I was getting 1.8mb.

I was expecting the worst after hearing all these horror stories lately but I've always been impress with the company and the DSL service so I decided to give cable a shot and am glad I did.

Oh yea, east London.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
There was talk a page or two ago about congestion when you live in, say, downtown Toronto. I live in a new (3 years old) condo building in which Rogers [told the building who told us] that they installed new equipment and wiring for cable. We want to jump from TS DSL to either TS Cable or Acanac Cable (Acanac has a good deal for 1 yr contracts right now) but Lone Star's post worried us.

Our TS DSL already runs way slower than advertised at all times, are we going to have the same problem no matter what we decide to do? If that's the case we should just look for the single best deals instead of seeking out speeds.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Zigmidge posted:

Our TS DSL already runs way slower than advertised at all times,

Have you had TS check the line profile? Sometimes Bell doesn't do it right.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Zigmidge posted:

There was talk a page or two ago about congestion when you live in, say, downtown Toronto. I live in a new (3 years old) condo building in which Rogers [told the building who told us] that they installed new equipment and wiring for cable. We want to jump from TS DSL to either TS Cable or Acanac Cable (Acanac has a good deal for 1 yr contracts right now) but Lone Star's post worried us.

Our TS DSL already runs way slower than advertised at all times, are we going to have the same problem no matter what we decide to do? If that's the case we should just look for the single best deals instead of seeking out speeds.

If they just upgraded the cable lines that usually means thats going to get you the best service and switching over would probably get the best speeds.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've got a really dumb question. I've been on Rogers Extreme (the 95~ Gb/month plan) for a number of years, but I've been considering switching to Teksavvy or Acanac. I do a fair amount of Bittorrentish stuff (Steam downloads, World of Warcraft updates, been considering VOIP too). In the midst of all this, I just remembered that I bought my cable modem when Rogers started offering them, back in 2004.

I've got an old Motorola Surfboard SB5100. Is there any point in getting something more recent, or has the state of the art stayed more or less in 2003?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bieeardo posted:

I've got an old Motorola Surfboard SB5100. Is there any point in getting something more recent, or has the state of the art stayed more or less in 2003?

Purchase yourself a DOCSIS3 modem.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
poo poo, this is going to be an adventure. Teksavvy just stopped taking new accounts in my area (London, Ontario), Acanac's list of approved modems apparently predates Docsis 3, and Rogers refuses to provision anything that they don't provide.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bieeardo posted:

poo poo, this is going to be an adventure. Teksavvy just stopped taking new accounts in my area (London, Ontario), Acanac's list of approved modems apparently predates Docsis 3, and Rogers refuses to provision anything that they don't provide.

We should be done the upgrade in three weeks tops. Just put your name and email in the notification list and wait. Can't guarantee on the three weeks but I cannot see it taking longer than the GTA upgrade.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

I've got a really dumb question. I've been on Rogers Extreme (the 95~ Gb/month plan) for a number of years, but I've been considering switching to Teksavvy or Acanac. I do a fair amount of Bittorrentish stuff (Steam downloads, World of Warcraft updates, been considering VOIP too). In the midst of all this, I just remembered that I bought my cable modem when Rogers started offering them, back in 2004.

This modem will serve you just fine for a while. Eventually you will want to get a DOCSIS 3 modem, but I personally don't think there's any rush.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Added myself to the notification list when I got the 'too many new subs!' message. And yeah, I've been trucking along with Rogers and the old Surfboard a while, I can handle it a bit longer.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

less than three posted:

gently caress dealing with Shaw.

My family's had them ever since they were out here (1994) and the delivered product is good, as long as you never have to talk to them.

Telus has really caught up now though in product and price and we can get the same thing there for $20 cheaper. (Plus the neat things such as PVR anywhere and call display on TV.)

I call Shaw to see if they can make a comparable package (their website plan personaliser says this should be the case) or else would leave.

Estimated wait time: Over 2 hours. :suicide:

Now I'm leaning towards just switching even if they'll match the offer because it's always atrocious trying to get in contact with Shaw over the phone.

In my experience Shaw actually has very good customer service -- you can also use their online chat feature, and the wait times are really good for that (usually waiting about 5 minutes or less).

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

Part of a healthy and well-balanced diet.

blah_blah posted:

In my experience Shaw actually has very good customer service -- you can also use their online chat feature, and the wait times are really good for that (usually waiting about 5 minutes or less).

It's been my experience as well. I recently moved into a new place last month, and both the CSR and the installer were great. The problem was actually getting a CSR on the phone, minimum 1 hour wait every time I called.

In their defense, September is usually one of the busiest months for an ISP, but still, it was really bad for hold times.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

random nickname posted:

The problem was actually getting a CSR on the phone, minimum 1 hour wait every time I called.

It should be improving steadily over the next little while. There's been a bunch of hiring, as well as the general decline in call volume coming out of the summer. It got really really bad at peak, but it should only get better over time.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Drakkus posted:

It should be improving steadily over the next little while. There's been a bunch of hiring, as well as the general decline in call volume coming out of the summer. It got really really bad at peak, but it should only get better over time.

How bad was early September for you guys? We got 10,000+ calls a couple times for sales/customer service alone. Now it's back to a steady 1,000+.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Bonzo posted:

Have you had TS check the line profile? Sometimes Bell doesn't do it right.

I spoke to them this week and it turns out that we're set to 3mbps because 5 is too much for my lines and causes instability....

Cable here we come!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
For those wondering, a garbage truck hit a transformer here in Chatham, Ontario and the power went out. We're still barely up.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Lone Rogue posted:

How bad was early September for you guys? We got 10,000+ calls a couple times for sales/customer service alone. Now it's back to a steady 1,000+.

Honestly not sure. I'm not in a position where I'd see the daily or monthly call stats regularly. (And for residential: Virtually ever.)

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Guess which ISP is the worst throttler in the world?

http://wordsbynowak.com/2011/10/21/rogers-throttlin/

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Hey Lone Rogue, do you know whats going on in London? I had no connection this morning. Rebooted my cable modem twice but nothing. And just read on DSLreports that there's an issue?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

iLikeMidgets posted:

Hey Lone Rogue, do you know whats going on in London? I had no connection this morning. Rebooted my cable modem twice but nothing. And just read on DSLreports that there's an issue?

As of 4:30 there's no reported outages. I'll see if there are any tech support folks upstairs, even hybrids who have heard anything.

EDIT: People are saying they haven't heard anything. Just give us a call, nobody is in the queue for cable at the moment.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 25, 2011

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

The Dark One posted:

Guess which ISP is the worst throttler in the world?

http://wordsbynowak.com/2011/10/21/rogers-throttlin/
Speaking of which... has anyone on Rogers had trouble playing Starcraft II lately? I got really bad lag playing this morning, something I've never gotten before. I had no torrents running, and my connection is completely fine otherwise.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Sashimi posted:

Speaking of which... has anyone on Rogers had trouble playing Starcraft II lately? I got really bad lag playing this morning, something I've never gotten before. I had no torrents running, and my connection is completely fine otherwise.

I was playing a few days ago using SHAW and noticed an unusual amount of lag. Could be that Bnet is having issues again.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

What the hell Shaw; I've been trying to call the business account CS support line for two days now (604-629-8885) and I consistently get 'we're sorry, all circuits are busy'. No voice mail, no callback queue. Just a big ol 'gently caress you, we're not answering'. I try going through normal support and they're all 'well we can't touch that, it's a business account' and 'oh no we're not allowed to transfer to business support'. My 'email that will be answered in 3 business days' has went unanswered. So...... now what?

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

What the hell Shaw; I've been trying to call the business account CS support line for two days now (604-629-8885) and I consistently get 'we're sorry, all circuits are busy'. No voice mail, no callback queue. Just a big ol 'gently caress you, we're not answering'. I try going through normal support and they're all 'well we can't touch that, it's a business account' and 'oh no we're not allowed to transfer to business support'. My 'email that will be answered in 3 business days' has went unanswered. So...... now what?

poo poo hit the bed the other day in the Lower Mainland area there was a 100% service outage for 2-3 cities and things aren't back to normal yet so i imagine that is why.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I'm sure this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but does anybody know when the CRTC is going to actually make their decision on UBB?

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I think it was slated for November some time, at the latest.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Scaramouche posted:

What the hell Shaw; I've been trying to call the business account CS support line for two days now (604-629-8885) and I consistently get 'we're sorry, all circuits are busy'.

It's um... been a rough week for business in Vancouver. (Which is what I assume you're trying to reach from the number).

The enormous fiber cut that Sprawl referenced week was the primer, but there were other issues afterwards that absolutely killed us. Check your PMs.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jesus Christ Teksavvy, they completely screwed the pooch on my order despite my calling a few times to make sure everything was OK (it said 5 meg in one place and 25 meg on another), and now when I call today to verify that a tech is coming all of a sudden the speed is wrong (should have been 25, was put through as 5) and they have to cancel the whole appointment, meaning another week without internet and me having to organize another day off work. If they weren't the only ISP with greater than a 100 gig cap in Montreal I'd have dropped them so fast over that bullshit, especially since I called earlier to make sure everything was straight.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

univbee posted:

Jesus Christ Teksavvy, they completely screwed the pooch on my order despite my calling a few times to make sure everything was OK (it said 5 meg in one place and 25 meg on another), and now when I call today to verify that a tech is coming all of a sudden the speed is wrong (should have been 25, was put through as 5) and they have to cancel the whole appointment, meaning another week without internet and me having to organize another day off work. If they weren't the only ISP with greater than a 100 gig cap in Montreal I'd have dropped them so fast over that bullshit, especially since I called earlier to make sure everything was straight.

Are you getting DSL, or Cable? Because it probably wasn't a TekSavvy technician who hosed things up for you, since they usually have to send out a technician from whichever company runs the lines that you need to use.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

univbee posted:

Yea thats normal teksavvy stuff.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

Are you getting DSL, or Cable? Because it probably wasn't a TekSavvy technician who hosed things up for you, since they usually have to send out a technician from whichever company runs the lines that you need to use.

DSL. And that would be fine if I didn't call twice before and get told that everything was the way it should be and didn't find out until literally the day the tech was supposed to come out (after I'd already had to reschedule once before due to their screw-up).

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 1, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

univbee posted:

You will probably get a credit on your account for the errors. No idea how much, that really has to do with how you treated the CSRs on the phone and how you speak to the supervisor. As for the errors, I know some people might find this totally stupid, but people should always call and check up on their orders and confirm all details with the CSR. Mistakes happen and it's best to catch them early.

I just sent you a PM if you want me to follow your account from now on until it gets properly processed.

EDIT: Ah, so you did make calls. Unless you had an absent minded CSR every time, it sounds like it might have been Bell's fault.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lone Rogue posted:

You will probably get a credit on your account for the errors. No idea how much, that really has to do with how you treated the CSRs on the phone and how you speak to the supervisor. As for the errors, I know some people might find this totally stupid, but people should always call and check up on their orders and confirm all details with the CSR. Mistakes happen and it's best to catch them early.

I just sent you a PM if you want me to follow your account from now on until it gets properly processed.

EDIT: Ah, so you did make calls. Unless you had an absent minded CSR every time, it sounds like it might have been Bell's fault.

Thank you very much, sent you a PM. Hopefully this can get straightened out sooner rather than later.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

ugh. teksavvy isn't offering cable in my area right now (dundas + dovercourt). I offered to sign up for DSL with them today if they would give me a credit to switch over whenever they offer it down the road since they refuse to give an estimate (I'm not signing up now to be told I can switch over in a month), and even offered to move my landline over to them, and they didn't even want to try to make any kind of deal to get a new customer.

teksavvy posted:

If you want to go with DSL and the cable becomes avalible in your area you need to pay for everything all over again there isnt any way to give you the option to transfer to cable for free everyone that goes from dsl to cable are required to pay for the 1st month of service, activation fee and mdm purchase.

Wow - you guys are really customer service experts, and really know how to seduce new customers. :rolleyes: Why does everyone rave about them again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Guitarchitect posted:

Wow - you guys are really customer service experts, and really know how to seduce new customers. :rolleyes: Why does everyone rave about them again?

While there are many people that are having problems with Teksavvy, Bell/Rogers can't give me this for $55 a month:

If I was still with Rogers this would cost me at least $120 a month ($70 a month plus $50 overage charges).