Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Thuryl posted:

I'm pretty sure getting lost means you've gone irretrievably off the rails of the quest. If you're lucky you can get a treasure out of it, but you're not actually going to succeed at the quest at that point.

That is correct. Once you hit the tunnels, you've failed the quest and your ultimate goal is to get out alive--which can be hard. Also, the treasure you can get is pretty bad. Did they fix it for iOS? It's supposed to make exploration faster, but what it really does is mean exploring doesn't reveal the minimap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mystic Mongol posted:

That is correct. Once you hit the tunnels, you've failed the quest and your ultimate goal is to get out alive--which can be hard. Also, the treasure you can get is pretty bad. Did they fix it for iOS? It's supposed to make exploration faster, but what it really does is mean exploring doesn't reveal the minimap.

Your LP is probably responsible for like half the pre-iPad sales of this game BTW.

That treasure is one of the best things you can get out of it, mostly because 1)you get out safe 2)you can trade it on a treasure for treasure basis for something useful. It's a pretty good piece of fodder for the Issaries quest.

CodenamePink
Jan 27, 2011
I get to the point in the game where all i do is just do raids and explore the map non stop.

I feel like im missing out on something... Does doing hero quest such as forming the storm tribe actually form a tribe or something?

Guess what im saying is that im stuck at the middle of the game and im having trouble advancing to late game stuff? What should i be doing?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
As far as I know you need to perform the Storm Tribe quest to start the tribe-making process. Have you been visited by a prophet?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
There are a couple other random events that can let you form a tribe but the most sure fire way is the hero quest after the prophet has visited.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Can you skip the whole tribe-making process and just join the Colymar tribe? I had an event where they kept asking me for tribute, and one of the options was to join them. It failed, but my clan was only like 1 year in and was poor, so they didn't want to let me in.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
I've never tried it myself, but have heard from the KoDP mailing list that it's possible. I'm curious to see how it changes the gameplay. The only time they ever asked me for tribute was when I was trying out hard. I refused them, and they came down on me with the whole tribe's fyrd, which was just unfair.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

zkline posted:

I've never tried it myself, but have heard from the KoDP mailing list that it's possible. I'm curious to see how it changes the gameplay. The only time they ever asked me for tribute was when I was trying out hard. I refused them, and they came down on me with the whole tribe's fyrd, which was just unfair.

You can survive getting into a fight with Colymar, but it's kind of a learning experience in why the hell you'd want a tribe. I have no idea if there's any realistic way to win getting into a fight with them before you have your own tribe backing you - i once got lucky and had the skirmish-evasion non-battle happen but they came back next year and reamed me :(

The tribe forming process is mostly "get strong enough to be safe, then get rich, then do the tribe making heroquest, then act orlanthi as all hell in the events that come up."

Carolus
Dec 21, 2009
Can you take over some other clans tula on the iPhone version? I remember doing it on the PC version before but cant see the option under raids on the iPhone.

My tula is getting small with like 40 or so wildlands left and pastures getting crammed with my 2000+ cows.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I know you can take their land if you raid them until they pack up and leave but I don't remember if you can explicitly try to conquer territory on a raid by raid basis.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Only if they're neighbors, and its still pretty unlikely unless you win a fairly overwhelming victory.

Carolus
Dec 21, 2009
I checked in the PC version and there was an option to "seize their land" but it was greyed out. Is that because they are not weak enough? And is that the reason it might not show up in my game on the iPhone?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Are you raiding a neighbor?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Carolus posted:

Is that because they are not weak enough?
Not adjacent, probably.

Carolus
Dec 21, 2009

andrew smash posted:

Are you raiding a neighbor?

Yes he has the "N" after the name.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
...Is it a cattle raid gone bad?

Are they raiding you?

Those are pretty much the options that come to mind. Otherwise yeah something's hosed up.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Carolus posted:

Yes he has the "N" after the name.

N just means he can be two towns(whatever you call them) away, to have "land grab" available they need to be adjacent. There's no indicator for this that I know of other than looking at the map and that option being unavailable.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
I'm not given the option of taking land from a neighbour in my game. I'm pretty sure it's because their land actually doesn't border mine even though we're technically neighbours.

Carolus
Dec 21, 2009

Kekekela posted:

N just means he can be two towns(whatever you call them) away, to have "land grab" available they need to be adjacent. There's no indicator for this that I know of other than looking at the map and that option being unavailable.

Ok this might be it. I have the beaker duck in between me and the Tanahartīs that I want to evict. The ducks are paying me tribute but Iīll guess they will have to leave then when things get TOO crowded.

BTW will I get bad events from killing the ducks? I seem to remember some chaos guys getting pissed?

Carolus fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 4, 2011

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Is there any way to turn on the borders in the iOS version like you could in the PC version? I miss being able to see the boundaries of the the different groups.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I've noticed that once someone is your neighbor, they keep the N next to their name forever. I've raided people so hard they had to pack up and leave more than once, until they settled far away from everyone else, and they still had the N.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Carolus posted:

BTW will I get bad events from killing the ducks?
I don't know, I can never bring myself to kill the ducks :shobon: but I guess you're a monster.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Carolus posted:

Ok this might be it. I have the beaker duck in between me and the Tanahartīs that I want to evict. The ducks are paying me tribute but Iīll guess they will have to leave then when things get TOO crowded.

BTW will I get bad events from killing the ducks? I seem to remember some chaos guys getting pissed?

The ducks are not the only or most powerful beastmen and if you terrorize them enough their hot sweaty beast cousins will rear end rape you.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
And when he says rear end rape that really doesn't describe the utter devastation the beastmen will rain down upon your tribe. I didn't even think I'd pushed them THAT far when their buddies tore a me shaped hole in Dragon Pass.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

Tulip posted:

The tribe forming process is mostly "get strong enough to be safe, then get rich, then do the tribe making heroquest, then act orlanthi as all hell in the events that come up."

I actually think it's possible to form a tribe without doing Storm Tribe first. I only did it to increase my rep and not for the tribe making blessing. I'm not sure, one of these days I'll have to try it without doing the quest at all and see what happens.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Wow even doing the Orlanth and Aroka quest wasn't enough to keep the newts away once they got mad enough at me. Devastating.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

zkline posted:

I actually think it's possible to form a tribe without doing Storm Tribe first. I only did it to increase my rep and not for the tribe making blessing. I'm not sure, one of these days I'll have to try it without doing the quest at all and see what happens.

Yeah, I got it off an event in a recent game without doing the quest first. (actually I did it once but not for the tribe building thing, just for rep like you said)

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I think you have to complete the quest to be able to form a tribe, but you don't necessarily have to "gain Orlanth's blessing for tribe-making". I think the blessing just makes those tribe recruitment events more likely to succeed.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Carolus posted:

Terrorizing the ducks is bad, bad news. For one thing, they're pretty hardcore Humaktis, which alone is reason to not gently caress with them. The other reasons have been stated but deserve restating: they will call in their friends, who are way, way nastier than what you can handle(they are not chaos beasts), and your fyrd will lie broken, your women screaming, and your tula will burn.

Carolus
Dec 21, 2009

Tulip posted:

Terrorizing the ducks is bad, bad news. For one thing, they're pretty hardcore Humaktis, which alone is reason to not gently caress with them. The other reasons have been stated but deserve restating: they will call in their friends, who are way, way nastier than what you can handle(they are not chaos beasts), and your fyrd will lie broken, your women screaming, and your tula will burn.

I raided them and took all of their land on the first raid. Guess Iīll have to wait and see if the beasts will show up.

If I form a tribe, will my fyrd be bigger. What I mean is can I raid will my whole tribeīs strength?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Carolus posted:

If I form a tribe, will my fyrd be bigger. What I mean is can I raid will my whole tribeīs strength?

There are some special circumstances where your whole tribe will come together for a battle, but in normal raids you can only ask a clan in your tribe to send some footmen, usually around 25 I think.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Having finally won a short game, I'm trying the long game for the first time. I formed a tribe really really early so I've found heroquests to be really difficult but I have nearly all of them completed now. What events should I be looking out for to show the story is progressing? I got one where the tribe was unhappy, so I fought them all and won and now they're really happy, and I got one where Saskara Brighteyes tried to form a kingdom until my chief smashed her face off on a rock. Does this lead into a win? I never saw these events in the short game.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
drat, thought I was cruising to victory but after 10 years the guy asked for the ring back and said I didn't do enough quests...how many do you have to do in the short game?

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

Sanford posted:

Having finally won a short game, I'm trying the long game for the first time. I formed a tribe really really early so I've found heroquests to be really difficult but I have nearly all of them completed now. What events should I be looking out for to show the story is progressing? I got one where the tribe was unhappy, so I fought them all and won and now they're really happy, and I got one where Saskara Brighteyes tried to form a kingdom until my chief smashed her face off on a rock. Does this lead into a win? I never saw these events in the short game.

The second is a sign you're on the right track, as it's one of the big story arcs that plays out as the long game unfolds. The first is just pissed off Orlanthi doing what they do.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Kekekela posted:

drat, thought I was cruising to victory but after 10 years the guy asked for the ring back and said I didn't do enough quests...how many do you have to do in the short game?

One a year, do them all. Why half-rear end it?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

One a year, do them all. Why half-rear end it?

Because they're my least favorite part of the game. Also according to some old manual that I found online its not one a year/all, its three. (which I guess means three different ones because I was doing Hammet and the tribe-making one pretty often...and trying and failing Lhankor Mye pretty often also despite dumping max points into questing every year)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I always liked the heroquests. The easiests ones were the main deity ones, Orlanth, Ernalda and Elmal as well as the storm tribe one. And the toughest I always thought was Uralda, Issaires and Lhankor Mhy because they were the longest ones.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
You can try to shorten uralda by asking the bulls to help the humans at the very beginning but if you fail the check it makes finding your way to the humans' camp later more difficult.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

gently caress it, I'm starting up a new game on hardest, main deity Elmal and building temples to Humakt and Urox. War war war!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Demiurge4 posted:

gently caress it, I'm starting up a new game on hardest, main deity Elmal and building temples to Humakt and Urox. War war war!

I love gimmick games, it's nice not to have any pressure and to go into something knowing you're going to lose and just hoping to see as many interesting consequences as you can before you die.

• Locked thread