Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

KnoxZone posted:

On the other hand, Hesperus II is known for being completely impregnable, so the point is moot anyways. There is no way the LCAF is breaking through that.

Awesome scenario!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Well gently caress Perhaps its time to sew some new mind grapes of wrath.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I vote B. Invade Skye.

Because frankly I don't think Aldo is dumb enough to say "I'm sure we can work out a political solution to the loss of 40% of our 'Mech production capacity while we're already at war, sure we can." He has to reclaim Skye, in a hurry, if he's not going to get rolled by someone else. So he'll try a blitz attack, because it's the best of all his possible chances right now, methinks.

Of course, that doesn't make it a good chance; I suspect he'll find his assault bogged down. And then House Marik gets to crash the party...

strikereternal
Nov 27, 2006
Voting A. Well, gently caress.

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010
Just curious, but do any worlds that make tanks still remain in the Lyran Commonwealth? Cause most of the factories seemed to be on Skye and Hesperus.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Thanatz posted:

Just curious, but do any worlds that make tanks still remain in the Lyran Commonwealth? Cause most of the factories seemed to be on Skye and Hesperus.

Coventry, Tharkad, Alarion, Bolan, Son Hoa, Pandora, Arc-Royal... The LC's production is actually pretty deep.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Invading Skye is the only option! :black101:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
B

Skye seperatists getting their heads kicked in is a time-honored tradition.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well dang. This is gonna be tough.

Skye's secession is actually backed by the good guys this time! That's some irony right there. On the one hand Option A is the more sinister option, and that leaves Aldo time to turn the tables on his wayward son through politics and assassination. On the other Option B is the option Clovis is probably banking on, since Hesperus II is impregnable and sacrificing defense against the Clans would make Aldo look more like a tyrant and a fool than he already does.

After going this far, I don't really want to see Clovis get offed so easily and this is a world of giant robot fights, not war in the shadows. And if Option A isn't the Aldo Wins option but rather an Aldo Pusses Out option then I'd rather not see that either.

So I'll vote B, let there be more giant robot fights.

And let us hope this plays right into Clovis' hands. Possibly giving the players the opportunity to play as the Home Guards for a scenario.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
B Invade Skye!

It is incredibly dangerous, but is it not even more dangerous letting commonwealth fracture? If Aldo accepts Skye independence and wins over clans, what will he have left, when he allows worlds to leave the state left and right? The only way he can win is by destroying Clovis.

Arkest
Apr 2, 2007
B. Invade Skye

I don't see how the Lyrans can stand against the clans without Skye or some other support. It's not like there's anyone around to help them, so they really have no choice but to try to take Skye back.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Well, gently caress, I didn't see that coming. Can't wait for the map update.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Coventry, Tharkad, Alarion, Bolan, Son Hoa, Pandora, Arc-Royal... The LC's production is actually pretty deep.

There's a problem there, though. This is a much earlier and different era.

Alarion - The only thing here is the ruined Ioto Galatic shipyard (which lost the ability to manufacture jump drives back in the 2nd Succession) and Bowie Industries (which at this point may not even be rebuilt yet).

Bolan - Doesn't have any military industries on it at all.

Son Hoa - Is logistically insane, being the literal furthest location from both battlefronts AND on the edge of pirate space

Pandora - Is in the COZ/Silent Shoals.

Arc-Royal - This industrial complex does not exist, as the Kell Hounds and Clan Wolf-in-Exile never took over the world to build it (and even if they did, that's more than a decade ahead of now).

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010

I was just going off the wiki. That said given that the clan's territory is a big L from Kowloon to Fort Loudon, Pandora is definitely gone, and Arc-Royal is either next or already taken.

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

A

It makes for a far more interesting story. Besides, if the Lyrans try to take Skye back it is going to weaken them to outside forces. It sucks for the Commonwealth, but really the best thing for everyone is to just let the Scots take their ball caber and leave.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

B) Invade Skye!

I intensely dislike Aldo, but as I see it, a really quick reconquest of Skye's industry is the only chance he has to stay in power, what with the clans bearing in on him from the north. And since we're supposed to be in his shoes for this vote, well...

Edit: Of course, if that attack fails, he's even more hosed than he would have been if he hadn't ordered it in the first place, but beggars can't be choosers!

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I am voting B: Invade Skye, because... well... I am sorry, but:

COME ON, YOU FREEBIRTHS! YOU WANT TO LIVE FOREVER???

(seriouspost I want the Battle of Tharkad so goddamn bad I can taste it and anything that cripples the LAAF makes that more likely :D)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I don't think a quick conquest of Hesperus is even possible. Wolf's Dragoons couldn't pull that off, FFS.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

A

because more splintering is cool.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Mukaikubo posted:

(seriouspost I want the Battle of Tharkad so goddamn bad I can taste it and anything that cripples the LAAF makes that more likely :D)

You show your Clan roots with this post. There is no such thing as the 'LAAF'. The Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces is not amused. Truly the Clan Watch has proven its worthlessness with this information.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I thought the Watch's worthlessness didn't need proving and was just a universal constant?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

You show your Clan roots with this post. There is no such thing as the 'LAAF'. The Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces is not amused. Truly the Clan Watch has proven its worthlessness with this information.

Perhaps the witless Clanner should undergo a trial of position to prove his worth, to prove he is not a failure? :3: (just kidding, Muk!)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

A

because more splintering is cool.

If you chose B, you'd still get splintering, plus a fistfight.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

I thought the Watch's worthlessness didn't need proving and was just a universal constant?

More rigor is always a good thing. It's sort of like, how high school students run well known experiments, ya know? Seeing the results in person conveys certain benefits of understanding that you might not gain through simply reading about it. :science:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

There have been instances where Watch wasn't utterly useless! All of these were against other Clans.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Invade Skye! Never mind that Hesperus II is impregnable, there're squishier planets in the province and recapturing those could take the wind out of the separatists' sails. Diverting forces from fighting the Clans is obviously a problem, but losing Hesperus II might have an even greater military impact.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

SynthOrange posted:

If you chose B, you'd still get splintering, plus a fistfight.

Not really, invading skye is the canon option and it pretty old hat.

hint: everytime they go back to steiner

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Axe-man posted:

Not really, invading skye is the canon option and it pretty old hat.

hint: everytime they go back to steiner

exactly. I don't wanna see skye get brought back under steiner AGAIN (even if the Lyrans then collapse entirely due to the Clans)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Captain Foo posted:

exactly. I don't wanna see skye get brought back under steiner AGAIN (even if the Lyrans then collapse entirely due to the Clans)

Giving skye time to gather forces and maybe even pressure comstar to recongize them ala FRR. I say you have a new IS minor nation which was awesome. At least this time the Wobbies aren't going to go Jihad and crush them like the FRR did with the clans.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Axe-man posted:

Giving skye time to gather forces and maybe even pressure comstar to recongize them ala FRR. I say you have a new IS minor nation which was awesome. At least this time the Wobbies aren't going to go Jihad and crush them like the FRR did with the clans.

Well, it looks like Tor Miraborg played all his cards to get FRR recognized. I'm not so sure the same would happen to Free Skye.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Well, gently caress...

Clever boy, Clovis. Clever boy.

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!
Gonna throw my hat into the Well, gently caress crowd. I'd like to see this plot point simmer and develop more. We have plenty of other places where we can get our mech-blasting on.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

To be perfectly honest I don't care which vote wins so long as Clovis wins.

Because he is a gloriously magnificent little bastard.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
See, a vote for Invade Skye isn't necessarily a vote for Aldo.

I'm hoping that Aldo invades, it turns into a colossal clusterfuck, the LCAF gets decimated trying to take Hesperus II, and as Aldo gets crazy and tries to order people to divert from the Clan front to take Skye, more systems along the Skye border start declaring for Skye.

Basically, I'm hoping to see the Lyran Commonwealth crumble a la the Empire, and the New Isle of Skye take its place.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
^^^Agree, Clovis owns.

Gonna go with a.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
Well, gently caress

Dear PTN,

You are taking my 8 year old self's favorite story and restoring all the potential that Mary Sues and deus ex machina plot resolutions removed. You are officially my favorite dude on the internet right now.

With the deepest and nerdiest of respect,
Centurium

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I vote for the promise of greater immediate violence on more fronts. I vote B.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Option A: "Well, gently caress."

You don't fight wars on two fronts unless you can help it. Especially against what were your own people the week before. Unless you want the Clans to run roughshod over PTN's universe you vote A. (Hush, Mukai)

seekerwithin
Oct 29, 2011
Option A: "Well, gently caress."

I'll be back to hurt you later, little boy..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
Well, gently caress I guess we should give the guy a break, we have clan-related problems to worry about. Besides, splintering is great!

• Locked thread