Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

How long has Blackmail been on your list, PA? Feels like I've been waiting months to make you watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Electronico6, not a Beatles fan, but A Hard Day's Night is a lot of fun, so enjoy.

penismightier posted:

How long has Blackmail been on your list, PA? Feels like I've been waiting months to make you watch it.
June 27, but it's not as long as it seems since I took a two month break from mid July to mid September. For reference Blackmail was the 213th film I added, Posession( added June 4th) is the oldest on my list and was 192nd, I'm currently at the 232nd addition. So the 4 months since Blackmail is the same amount of lists as the 23 days from Posession to Blackmail.

The Muppet Movie is ok, but the style doesn't really work for me. A ton of groan-worthy puns, mildly amusing cameos and no tension at all despite a plot structure that necessitates it. Not a fan of the musical numbers either. The best part is the interaction between the central muppets, Kermit, Fozzie, Piggy and Gonzo. More of that interplay and less of everything else would have been preferred.

Updated list:

Possession Not sure why I have this on my need to see list actually. Maybe someone here recommended it? Seems like it could be brilliant or terrible.

Seven Beauties Never seen a Lina Wertmüller, this one seems to be the most highly regarded, though if anyone think I should watch Love and Anarchy or The Seduction of Mimi instead I'm fine with that.

Blackmail Hitchcock, it's been a while. There's both a sound version and a silent version. I'm not sure which I should watch, or if both which I should watch first.

Twenty-Four Eyes Never seen a Kinoshita film. Seems like the place to start.

The Only Son Let's watch some more Ozu.

The Singing Detective Another mini series. Fits in with this noir thing I've been doing.

The Limey Another one I've seen but can't remember anything about.

Atanarjuat Been curious about this since it first came out, but 3 hours seems way too long.

Cyrano de Bergerac It's a classic story I guess. This is on 5 lists at ICM and there's only 8 such films I haven't seen.

La belle noiseuse If it weren't 4 hours I would have seen it already. I've been meaning to put it on my list for a year but thought I'd get around to it on my own.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10, Highlander 3/10 , Lagaan 8.5/10 , The Warriors 8/10 , Être et avoir 9/10 , Punishment Park 7/10 , Traffic 8/10 , The Year of Living Dangerously 7.5/10 , Tetsuo 7/10 , The Last Command 8.5/10 , Perceval le Gallois 8/10 , Pale Flower 7/10 , Riget 7.5/10 , The Wind Will Carry Us 8/10 , I Live in Fear 7.5/10 , Red Angel 8.5/10 , The Unbearable Lightness of Being 5/10 , Twelve O'Clock High 7/10 , The Godfather: Part III 6.5/10 , The Bridges of Madison County 3/10 , The Host 8.5/10 , A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935) 8/10 , The Muppet Movie 6/10

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The Only Son Let's watch some more Ozu.

This doesn't have many IMDb votes.

Rope - Could be the creepiest duo I've seen in a film. The way Brandon talks about murdering was pretty authentic to what I've seen serial killers say before. I was reminded of the BTK killer (Dennis Rader). The excitement of murdering and the power that comes along with it and the desire to continue to push the envelope in making the murder more challenging. Brandon ups the ante in about five ridiculous ways as the film goes along. His downfall was similar to that of BTK's. When I read that this was based on an actual story it didn't surprise me at all.

I haven't seen many but this is my favorite pre-1950 Hitchcock film so far. It had to be a breeze to edit this film. 12 cuts supposedly?

also watched:

Mystic River - This was fair but a large aspect of the film revolves around detectives and that part seemed unrealistic to me. These are supposed to be homicide detectives and they just came across as incompotent.

The ending felt a little stilted and all the stories are resolved in strange ways. The "you're a king" scene. Yes, if only every wife could be so understanding.

The more I'm thinking about the film the more it's falling apart. Is it just some sort of commentary on twisted nihilistic justice?

The Passion of Joan of Arc - It seemed as if the first half hour was constant closeups of judges making smug faces and Joan with a forlorn look. I found it to be another depressing film which shows what happens when two sides of a religious/political debate won't budge. It leads to paranoia and hysteria and then death. But who really knows how things transpired exactly back then. We're talking 600 years in the midst of a giant war.

IMDb list:

#195 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#219 Howl's Moving Castle - I liked Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke but My Neighbor Totoro was a little too childish for me. 8/25/11

#223 Let the Right One In - Newer release about vampires. Hopefully better than the Twilight saga. 8/6/11

#228 Infernal Affairs - If Jack Nicholson's role in The Departed was based on a predecessor in this I'll probably like it. 8/25/11

#238 Sleuth (1972) - Don't know anything about it. 10/12/11

#239 Shutter Island - Looked like a run-of-the-mill mystery. 10/12/11

#240 Patton - I've seen the opening shot and heard the speech before but nothing else. The opening seemed kind of ridiculous. 10/19/11

new #241 Ip Man - This has been getting some good reviews. Thought it was some IT film when I first saw the title. 10/28/11

new #243 Stalker - Watched Andrei Rublev a while ago and it was challenging. Been meaning to watch Solaris as well. 10/28/11

new Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - The series has been okay so far and I'll probably enjoy watching the characters progress. Two down six to go. 10/28/11

Zogo fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 27, 2011

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Zogo, go with Infernal Affairs, it's a slower burn than the Departed

M was a masterpiece. I loved how Lang used lighting and subtle music shifts to keep you on edge. Lorre was perfectly creepy and I loved that you it left you in the air on who's version of justice was right. Just a very moody film. I love it.

1) The Leopard- I'm a sucker for epics
2) The Asphalt Jungle- love those heist films
3) Waltz with Bashir- I hear this is great
4) Battleship Potemkin- I've only seen silent comedies and it's time to expand my horizons. This seems like essential viewing
5) Rififi- I've put this off long enough
6) Love and Death- I'm trying to fill in my Woody Allen holes
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Pale Flower- this looks interesting
9) Modern Times- the last of the "big" Chaplin films I need to see
10) Winchester '73- let's watch some more Anthony Mann

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Sleeper, Wings of Desire, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Birds, Pan's Labyrinth, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Rashomon, Amelie, Wild Strawberries, Les Diaboliques, The Furies, It's A Wonderful Life, Network, Metropolis, Lady Vengeance, Sherlock Jr., The 400 Blows, High and Low, Carrie, The Iron Giant, M

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

9) Modern Times- the last of the "big" Chaplin films I need to see

A Hard's Day Night is kinda silly. But the type of silly that The Beatles could pull off, provided that you like The Beatles. Despite being just a silly film about nothing, it captures the high days of Beatlemania and all of it's shrieking girl glory perfectly.

The Shame List:

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen Looks insane.

Manhattan The other very famous Woody Allen film. Or so I'm told.

Carlos the Jackal It's quite long. 330 minutes long.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me She's dead, wrapped in plastic.

Hamlet The Branagh version.

Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit Love the shorts, never got around to this one, for some reason.

Dracula The Francis Ford Coppola one.

Gangs of New York Only Scorsese I haven't watched from his 00's output.

Mesrine: Killer Instinct/Public Enemy No.1

The Long Good Friday English gangsters featuring Super Mario.

Have watched so far 18 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

Manhattan The other very famous Woody Allen film. Or so I'm told.

I wasn't a big fan of this but lots like it.

Just got it in Netflix yesterday:

Infernal Affairs - This was very similar to The Departed. Some aspects have been changed and then some other scenes are nearly verbatim. It's still entertaining however and the story interesting enough that I'd recommend people watch both at some point. Sometimes I hate American/Western remakes of films but both of these are capable of standing on their own. I think I prefer The Departed's ending over this one. And the alternate ending of Infernal Affairs would've been worse.

IMDb list:

#195 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#219 Howl's Moving Castle - I liked Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke but My Neighbor Totoro was a little too childish for me. 8/25/11

#223 Let the Right One In - Newer release about vampires. Hopefully better than the Twilight saga. 8/6/11

#240 Patton - I've seen the opening shot and heard the speech before but nothing else. The opening seemed kind of ridiculous. 10/19/11

#241 Ip Man - This has been getting some good reviews. Thought it was some IT film when I first saw the title. 10/27/11

#243 Stalker - Watched Andrei Rublev a while ago and it was challenging. Been meaning to watch Solaris as well. 10/27/11

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - The series has been okay so far and I'll probably enjoy watching the characters progress. Two down six to go. 10/27/11

new #244 Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring - Haven't seen too many Korean films. 10/27/11

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Zogo, go with The Prisoner of Azkaban

Modern Times was a lot of fun. I loved the "cocaine" sequence and the singing bit was good as well. Still like Keaton better, but Chaplin never disappoints me either.

4) Battleship Potemkin- I've only seen silent comedies and it's time to expand my horizons. This seems like essential viewing
9) Duck Soup- time to start in on some Marx brothers

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Sleeper, Wings of Desire, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Birds, Pan's Labyrinth, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Rashomon, Amelie, Wild Strawberries, Les Diaboliques, The Furies, It's A Wonderful Life, Network, Metropolis, Lady Vengeance, Sherlock Jr., The 400 Blows, High and Low, Carrie, The Iron Giant, M, Modern Times

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

9) Duck Soup- time to start in on some Marx brothers

Enjoy. There comedy is really superb.

Just finished with Singing in the Rain and I enjoyed it. The picture was beautiful from the cinematography to the costumes. The music was enjoyable and the dancing was really fun to watch. I don't see why it's regarded as the end all be all of musicals, but I certainly see why so many people enjoy it.

My updated list:

1. Barton Fink - I'm actually a pretty big fan of the Coen Brothers so how this got away from me, I don't know.

2. Mad Max. Here's something interesting. I didn't know this was three movies. I thought they were all one movie. So if this isn't the first one, let me know and I'll watch the first one instead.

3. The 3 Faces of Eve. If I'm not mistaken, this is about a woman with multiple personalities, yes?

4. Sunset Boulevard. I've always heard great things about this movie and it's referenced in a lot of pop culture. I hope it's as good as I'm thinking it will be.

5. The Deer Hunter. Don't know a lot about this one, just that it has a young Christopher Walken in it and there is an intense Russian roulette scene. But I hear it's good, so I'm adding it to the list.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

7. La Dolce Vita. Have no idea what this is about at all. I'm not even very sure of who directs it. I hope it's good.

8. My Neighbor Totoro Don't know too much about this one. I like the director and enjoyed Spirited Away, so I'm hoping this one will be good.

9. Rabbit Proof Fence. My dad has been trying to get me to see this one since he saw it, saying it's fantastic. Just never got around to it.

10. The Gold Rush. I've never seen a single Chaplin movie.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist; The Red Shoes; Eraserhead; Vertigo; Raging Bull; 2001: A Space Odyssey; Tombstone; Seven Samurai; 8 1/2; Dancer in the Dark; Lawrence of Arabia; Metropolis; It happened One Night; Bonnie and Clyde; The Seventh Seal; Singing in the Rain

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 29, 2011

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Barton Fink is really great. Probably the quintessential Coen Bros. movie. Definitely see it.

Die Hard - Truly a classic action film. Excellent characters, pacing, action, everything. A lot of fun.

EDIT: I just realized my list contains a few more movies I've seen since I last posted.

Garden State - I wanted to watch this after enjoying Zach Braff's performance in Scrubs. It was about what I expected. Natalie Portman's character has become some what of an annoyingly archetypal character in movies like this. I guess since she was one of the first, you can't blame the movie too much. There were moments when I related to the characters a little bit, and I enjoyed most of the comedic parts. Overall, not a bad experience. It just felt a bit contrived.
Star Trek Generations - Felt like a 2 hour long episode of Star Trek. Pretty great interaction between Kirk and Picard if you ask me. Surprisingly good effects. I'll definitely see the even numbered Trek movies, which are apparently supposed to be the good ones?

New List:
1. The Usual Suspects - I guess this is one of those underground hits that managed to pass me by. Also I love Kevin Spacey.
2. City of God - I'm adding this movie directly from IMDB's Top 250. To be replaced when I can come up with something I've actually been meaning to see.
3. North by Northwest - Recommended by very reputable sources. Hitchcock.
4. Spirited Away - For some reason everyone who knows me says I should see this. I'm just not really into anime. Maybe everyone I know is an anime loving gay. But I've heard it's good from credible people too, so who knows.
5. The Fly(original and remake) -Never really got around to either of them. The fact I am such a nerd for this genre of film only deepens my shame.
6. Mad Max 2 - It may not even be fair to say I've seen the 1st one, but I've heard the 2nd one is where it's at.
7. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Everyone I've talked to liked it. It's Scandinavian, so it must be good.
8. Rear Window - I heard it compared to Disturbia once which kinda turned me off. Hitchcock.
9. Let Me In - I loved the Swedish original and I heard good things about this American remake.
10. Eyes Wide Shut - It's next on my list of Kubrick movies.

No longer ashamed:
Taxi Driver (4.5,5), Casablanca (2.5/5), The Godfather (4/5), The Good the Bad and the Ugly(4.5/5), 12 Angry Men(4.5/5), The Godfather, part II (3.5/5), Memento(4.5/5), Raging Bull (4/5), The Crazies (4/5), M(2.5/5), Barton Fink(4.5/5), Requiem for a Dream(4.5/5), Die Hard(4/5), Garden State(3.5/5), Star Trek Generations(4/5),

Treebeh fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 29, 2011

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Treebeh posted:

Garden State - I wanted to watch this after enjoying Zach Braff's performance in Scrubs. It was about what I expected. Natalie Portman's character has become some what of an annoyingly archetypal character in movies like this. I guess since she was one of the first, you can't blame the movie too much. There were moments when I related to the characters a little bit, and I enjoyed most of the comedic parts. Overall, not a bad experience. It just felt a bit contrived.

She's hardly the first. The archtype you're referring to actually has a name: Manic Pixie Dream Girl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manic_Pixie_Dream_Girl

Also, how did you manage to mess up my quote? :psyduck: I hope it's as good as you made me say it is.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Also, how did you manage to mess up my quote? :psyduck: I hope it's as good as you made me say it is.
Maybe you're being quoted from the future.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

Bodnoirbabe posted:

She's hardly the first. The archtype you're referring to actually has a name: Manic Pixie Dream Girl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manic_Pixie_Dream_Girl

I just know you'll be saying that after you see it...also yes, that article is spot on.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Treebeh, you get City of God

Duck Soup was just pure, fun, silliness. I wasn't really prepared for how ridiculous it got, but I loved it. My first Marx brothers film and I'm looking forward to more. Harpo kills me.

9) His Girl Friday- catching up on my older comedies

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Sleeper, Wings of Desire, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Birds, Pan's Labyrinth, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Rashomon, Amelie, Wild Strawberries, Les Diaboliques, The Furies, It's A Wonderful Life, Network, Metropolis, Lady Vengeance, Sherlock Jr., The 400 Blows, High and Low, Carrie, The Iron Giant, M, Modern Times, Duck Soup

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I haven't seen Potemkin either, but it's supposed to be must-see. Come to think of it, maybe I should add it to my list...

Took a break from playing Arkham City to watch Superman. Weird, I was always more of a Marvel fan, but these days I’m willing to give anything a try if I have reason to believe it’ll be good on its own. Gotta say, though, Superman didn’t really do much for me. There were definitely some good things in it. I liked the opening scenes on Krypton, though I didn’t understand why it started with the trial of General Zod- what kind of movie opens with a sequel hook? Way too much time on a scene that has no relevance to the movie it was in. The childhood with the Kents, especially Clark’s reaction to Jonathan’s death, was also very good. My favorite scene was probably Superman’s interview with Lois- the characters really came to life and had great chemistry. Reeve played Superman’s corniness to the hilt, but it worked, and I did believe the character. But there was a lot wrong with the movie. First off, right after the interview Superman and Lois go flying. If he’s holding her by one hand, shouldn’t she be hanging from the hand, not upright and parallel to Superman? I could accept that with a rigid body like a helicopter, but a human body doesn’t work that way. It may seem like I’m nitpicking, but when the movie’s tagline is “you will believe a man can fly,” they need to make the flying… well, believable.

Then there was the supporting cast. Okay, Margot Kidder was great, and Marlon Brando performed his ten minutes fine (for which he got top billing, bumping Reeve to third after Hackman- I get why they did it, but it’s still funny). Perry White, on the other hand, was disappointing. I thought he’d be the typical gruff but loving boss, which is how I’ve seen him portrayed in other incarnations of the story, but he was nothing more than a sexist moron who’s idea of a good reporter was someone who could type fast and didn’t misspell words (speaking of sexism, the “comic” scene where a policeman volunteers to give “vigorous chest massages and mouth-to-mouth” to an unconscious woman was cringeworthy). It’s not a knock on the actor, but the character was repulsive. And Lex Luthor was ridiculous. He ranted and raved his way through every scene in his underground condo, going on and on about how he was the greatest criminal genius of all time to his worthless minions. He made me think of Professor Ratigan, but with less charm. Why do supposedly brilliant villains keep these morons working for them? Otis was not funny, he was annoying. The woman who’s name I forget was just eye-candy, and given she was complicit in the plan to kill millions she got off way too easy in the end. Of course, if Luthor had just watched to make sure Superman died, it wouldn’t have been an issue. Incidentally, his speech about how real estate never loses value is hilarious in light of the recent housing market crash. I wish Luthor had been more of a corporate villain like he is now. I know that characterization didn’t show up until the 80’s, but he was not threatening in this movie. If he was going to be a gangster type, he needed more than two followers, and some indication of what crimes he had committed in the past. Without a history of successful crimes, how do I know he’s not just an egomaniac who thinks he’s brilliant? The only things he did that seemed smart were sending a radio message that only he could hear (though, again, how did he know how to do that?) and his vaguely clever reverse psychology to get Superman exposed to kryptonite. Ah, yes, kryptonite. “Given the location of the galaxy he’s from, it stands to reason-” Oh, dear, this is going to be painful. Yes, the fact that his planet exploded means that A) it contained rocks that would be toxic to him and B) some of those rocks just happened to land on Earth. How do you know any of this? Do you realize how small the probability of that happening is? Couldn’t they have come up with a better explanation? No time, we have to get to our massive special effects-fest ending extravaganza! I’ll admit, the effects were pretty good, especially for thirty years ago, but then we had to end with Superman reversing time. Yeah, you knew this one, and so did I, but it was still stupid to watch. Whether because of the nonsense science or the deus ex machina nature of the power, that knocked it down half a star on its own. This movie had some good stuff in it, and I suppose it deserves some credit for codifying the genre tropes, but I can’t say I recommend it.

Rating: 2/4

I also watched The Exorcist earlier today, as part of a Halloween weekend movie theme. I don’t really have that much to say. This is another case where it codified much of the genre, but has been referenced so much that it no longer has the same impact. One thing that surprised me was how skeptical most of the characters were. Specifically, Damien didn’t believe in possession. He was a very good character. My problem with this movie was that it was very slow, especially at the beginning. When it was good, it was very good, but there were long sections where nothing happened. They should have trimmed this movie down- I think that, at a brisk ninety minutes, it could have been much better.

Rating: 3/4

5. 2001: A Space Odyssey - More sci-fi that everyone but me has seen. I think my dad has a copy, so that would make it easier. I think I already know most of the plot, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it. If I'm given this one, I promise to try my best not to make too many Portal jokes.

9. The Aviator - More from that Scorsese clown. This one isn't as much a must see as some of the others, but it's added shame because it's another one that I own but haven't seen (there's probably another five movies like that, but most of them are more obscure). I bought it for three bucks about four years ago when a local video store went out of business and I've never taken it out of the box.

14. Apocalypse Now- Guy goes up a river, sees weird poo poo, the horror, goes back down the river, man is evil. Well, that's how my brother summed up Heart of Darkness, which I tried to read in high school and got to about page three. But I know this is a fairly loose adaptation and is supposed to be great, and Martin Sheen is awesome, so I'd be cool with this.

16. Schindler's List- Of course, I know what this is about, but I know very few details. My wife has seen it and said she'd watch it with me. Since she usually doesn't like serious movies, this is a strong recommendation indeed.

18. Deer Hunter- I seem to be seeing a lot of Christopher Walken bit parts, so let's see one of his rare starring roles. I started watching this one a while ago, but never got more than a few minutes in- I think I got called away, or maybe I just wasn't in the mood. I do know it ends with death by Russian Roulette, but I still think I'd enjoy it.

20. The Seventh Seal- Never seen any Bergman- like Kurosawa, it seems I'd have to go out of my way, even though I've heard lots about him. I know this is the one where the guy plays chess with death to save his soul (I once read a parody of this by Woody Allen, where a guy plays Gin Rummy with death to save his soul). That's about all I know, but I hope the chess game opens with 1. e4 c5, so I can point out that you should never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

22. A Face in the Crowd- Andy Griffith is Glenn Beck! Like I said earlier, the character sounds somewhat simplistic, but the clips I've seen look good, so I'd like to see how it works. Sounds like something I could watch with my dad, and maybe some others.

24. The Great Dictator- I think this Chaplin kid may be going somewhere. Maybe I should take a look at one of his movies.

25. Treasure of the Sierra Madre- Movies? We don't need no stinkin' movies! Yeah, I liked Bogart in Casablanca, so I'll probably like him in this, too, but mainly I just want to learn to do the prospector dance.

26. Battleship Potemkin- I have no idea what this is about- is it Russian, I think? I don't know, but it's on so many best of all time lists that I figure I should put it on mine.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 29, 2011

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Jurgan posted:

Gotta say, though, Superman didn’t really do much for me. There were definitely some good things in it. I liked the opening scenes on Krypton, though I didn’t understand why it started with the trial of General Zod- what kind of movie opens with a sequel hook?

Because both films were being made at the same time. Donner wrote Superman 1 and 2 as one film, just split in two. What happened was that the money and time were starting to became scarce, and studios got nervous so they pushed Superman 1 before Donner completed everything. The result is that the ending of Superman 1 makes little to no sense, cause it was suppose to be the ending of Superman 2.(And it actually works in the proper context) Then of course Donner was fired and never completed the rest of Superman 2, enter Lester who did a very average job.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

It's got the same leaps of logic and scientific nonsense as every other comic book movie, but it works with them. You seem to have problems with the fact that it's a little campy, but that's entirely intentional. It's as much a fairytale - and a comedy - as anything else. Superman turns back time, not because it's possible, but because he's SUPERMAN, and he can do the IMPOSSIBLE. Donner never asks you to believe to the plausibility of it, just the myth.

That's why "You'll believe a man can fly" was not so much a commentary on the effects, as it was on the mythic heart of it.

In that sense - I just realized this - it's like the polar opposite of The Dark Knight, which constantly and aggressively prosaicised the idea of Batman. Superman is a film about belief, TDK is a film about denial. It's pretty appropriate for both characters that they're so opposed.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 30, 2011

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Fair enough, I suppose. I can't say camp is appealing to me- I think of it as synonymous with "so bad it's good." The Dark Knight is my favorite comic book movie because it's so relevant. I can't think of any other superhero movie with as many "leaps of logic" except Adam West's Batman, which I don't mean as a compliment. Some people, I gather, like camp sincerely, and I'm happy for you, but that's not my thing. However, I don't think it's the science exactly that gets to me- it does some, but that's not my biggest concern. I'm actually okay with the flight scenes, even if they looked nonsensical. I didn't have the hackish complaint about no one realizing Clark and Superman were the same problem, mainly because Reeve played the characters so differently. And I'm willing to accept that a magic rock happens to make it to Earth which can kill Superman. I don't accept that Luthor knows this when there's absolutely no way he could have figured it out. I know moon logic occurred in plenty of comics back in the day, but I consider that a phase they grew out of, and by the late seventies they should have known better. Again, a matter of taste. As for turning back time- the science isn't the main problem. The bigger issue was that it's such a perfect deus ex machina it could fix any problem. I get the idea that he saved Lois's life like he couldn't save his father's, and it had a lot of emotional impact, but then how do you ever challenge him in the sequels? And for Lex Luthor: My biggest problem is that he seems way too small. If the story is supposed to be a myth, then it seems to me that the villain needs to be larger than life. Luthor just seems like a cheap crook who happened to get lucky enough to control some missiles. He doesn't have to be dark and serious, but if he's going to be the villain of a mythic story, he needs to have more gravitas. I like that it's a big myth- I especially liked the Jesus parallels. I just don't think all the elements held together. Again, YMMV- I'm not telling people they shouldn't like, just discussing why I didn't.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

If Luthor wasn't big enough for you, you might want to watch the director's cut of Superman 2 - Luthor's sidelined for those three Kryptonians you saw in the opening scene of the first. Much punching ensues.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Maybe that was the point- set him up as a petty criminal, and then have him become obsessed with defeating Superman in the sequel. I might give number 2 a watch sometime, but it'd be through Netflix instant, and I doubt that's the director's cut.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Jurgan, get ready to be wowed by A Face in the Crowd.

The Only Son is a good film with strong themes I'm interested in, but it didn't really work for me. I think part of it is Ozu's sparse style, which is not quite refined here. In later films he keeps the camera fixed and does long takes so while things can move slowly there's a much better sense of immersion. Here he cuts so frequently that the fixed low angle shots come off awkward. There's more to it than that, though. There doesn't seem to be a flow from scene to scene either, it all struck me as one small situation followed by another then a climax that follows narratively but doesn't feel quite earned. I don't know, maybe it just wasn't the right day for Ozu. I liked it, but it's easily the weakest I've seen from him.

Updated list:

Possession Not sure why I have this on my need to see list actually. Maybe someone here recommended it? Seems like it could be brilliant or terrible.

Seven Beauties Never seen a Lina Wertmüller, this one seems to be the most highly regarded, though if anyone think I should watch Love and Anarchy or The Seduction of Mimi instead I'm fine with that.

Blackmail Hitchcock, it's been a while. There's both a sound version and a silent version. I'm not sure which I should watch, or if both which I should watch first.

The Singing Detective Another mini series. Fits in with this noir thing I've been doing.

Atanarjuat Been curious about this since it first came out, but 3 hours seems way too long.

Cyrano de Bergerac It's a classic story I guess. This is on 5 lists at ICM and there's only 8 such films I haven't seen.

La belle noiseuse If it weren't 4 hours I would have seen it already. I've been meaning to put it on my list for a year but thought I'd get around to it on my own.

After the Wedding I've had this lying around for a while. Don't know much about it.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10, Highlander 3/10 , Lagaan 8.5/10 , The Warriors 8/10 , Être et avoir 9/10 , Punishment Park 7/10 , Traffic 8/10 , The Year of Living Dangerously 7.5/10 , Tetsuo 7/10 , The Last Command 8.5/10 , Perceval le Gallois 8/10 , Pale Flower 7/10 , Riget 7.5/10 , The Wind Will Carry Us 8/10 , I Live in Fear 7.5/10 , Red Angel 8.5/10 , The Unbearable Lightness of Being 5/10 , Twelve O'Clock High 7/10 , The Godfather: Part III 6.5/10 , The Bridges of Madison County 3/10 , The Host 8.5/10 , A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935) 8/10 , The Muppet Movie 6/10 , The Only Son 7/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The Mystery of Picasso is really good, and some of the paintings - especially the bullfighting ones - are quite beautiful. It runs a little long, but Clouzot knows when to switch it up and give us some down time. I love the scene where Picasso has to paint before they run out of film, it's such a funny way for Clouzot to throw in some suspense.

PA, I've been sitting on Mystery of Picasso all day specifically to tell you to watch Blackmail, the sound version. I say the sound version for two reasons - 1. the fantastic "knife" scene, and 2. the method they used to dub one actor's lines. Look it up AFTER you watch.

New list:

Mike's Murder I don't know enough '80s dramas, and I heard this is a hidden classic crime movie. But the same person who told me that said the same about 8 Million Ways to Die, which is dick.

Beware of a Holy Whore Cult Fassbinder hit?

Hana-bi I like Kitano.

Billy Liar I own it in that 10 Year of Rialto set, but it just ain't gonna happen without a push.

Cairo Station I know nothing about it, except FFD really loves it.

new: My Brother's Wedding So there's a director's cut that's like a half hour shorter? Which should I see?

The Wisdom of Crocodiles Halloween spooky times.

The Blue Angel I don't know much about this.

Montenegro or Sweet Movie I loved WR and the Eclipse set, but I've avoided Sweet Movie because I heard it sucks and Montenegro because the poster is crap.

Barfly I'm a big Bukowski fan which, actually, is why I keep avoiding this.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10), Rendez-vous d'Anna (8/10), Two Thousand Maniacs! (7/10), The Old Dark House (7.5/10), The Tarnished Angels (8/10), Ordet (9/10), Pigs and Battleships (8/10), The Naked City (8/10), The Ninth Configuration (4/10), Sling Blade (8.5/10), Le Trou (8.5/10), I Know Where I'm Going! (7.5/10), The Hangover (7.5/10), Body Heat (7.5/10), Night Moves (8.5/10), The Earrings of Madame De... (8/10), Toto, Peppino, e la Mallafemmina (7/10), Short Cuts (9/10), The Mystery of Picasso (8/10)

Total: 116
Best: All That Heaven Allows
Worst: Harold and Maude

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

penismightier posted:

The Wisdom of Crocodiles Halloween spooky times.

Yes.

I realized about two-thirds of the way through The Big Sleep that I didn't really know what the hell was going on, but that didn't really bother me much. The great dialogue more than makes up for the poor overall story. Bogart shines as usual, but everyone else contributes as well.

Also knocked out The Usual Suspects. It's a finely crafted thriller for the most part. Some of the acting really grated on me, especially Stephen Baldwin's bizarre tantrums. Too bad I knew about the ending going in, I probably would've appreciated it a bit more watching it blind.

1. The Battleship Potemkin - I don't really have any interest in watching this but it's ranked pretty drat high on the They Shoot Pictures list.

2. Tokyo Story - I think I might have a problem appreciating muted emotions in movies. I might have a hard time watching this.

3. The Usual Suspects The Lives of Others - Could it be better than The Conversation? Not that it has to be.

4. Mean Streets - Love Scorsese, but I've heard people say that this is too similar to Taxi Driver but not nearly as good. That's okay, even if it isn't half as good as Taxi Driver it'll still be a pretty great film.

5. The Searchers - Generally considered the best Ford western.

6. Videodrome - I am intrigued.

7. Seven - Saw the ending on TV and didn't realize what it was in time, oh well. I should probably watch the rest of it.

8. Modern Times - Thought City Lights was great, and The Gold Rush was good.

9. La Dolce Vita - Another Fellini film.

10. The Big Sleep The Grapes of Wrath - Here's the grapes, and here's the WRATH! *smash*.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, Bicycle Thieves, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia, Eraserhead, The Lady Vanishes, The Wild Bunch, A Clockwork Orange, Platoon, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Ikiru, Jules and Jim, The Asphalt Jungle, M, The Thin Red Line, Dial M for Murder, The Sting, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Exterminating Angel, A Woman Under the Influence, Singin' in the Rain, Scenes from a Marriage, Badlands, City of God, The Gold Rush, The Maltese Falcon, The Conformist, The Shawshank Redemption, High and Low, It's a Wonderful Life, Days of Heaven, Le Samourai, The Night of the Hunter, Metropolis, The New World, Persona, Manhattan, Some Like It Hot, The Rules of the Game, Nights of Cabiria, The Graduate, Pather Panchali, Punch-Drunk Love, Grand Illusion, The Hustler, The Great Escape, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Memento, Forbidden Planet, Stagecoach, The Usual Suspects, The Big Sleep (Total: 85)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Atheistdeals.com, watch Modern Times.

Blackmail I'd forgotten just how visually creative Hitchcock could be. Even at such an early date in his career he uses visual flair to increase the tension and mess with the audience. Despite a slow start it quickly picks up steam and is a fun ride with some shocking scenes, real suspense and a bit of his trademark dark humour.

Updated list:

After the Wedding I've had this lying around for a while. Don't know much about it.

Silver Lode Mr. Scorsese spoiled this movie's ending for me. I was hoping I'd forget but that's not going to happen.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10, Highlander 3/10 , Lagaan 8.5/10 , The Warriors 8/10 , Être et avoir 9/10 , Punishment Park 7/10 , Traffic 8/10 , The Year of Living Dangerously 7.5/10 , Tetsuo 7/10 , The Last Command 8.5/10 , Perceval le Gallois 8/10 , Pale Flower 7/10 , Riget 7.5/10 , The Wind Will Carry Us 8/10 , I Live in Fear 7.5/10 , Red Angel 8.5/10 , The Unbearable Lightness of Being 5/10 , Twelve O'Clock High 7/10 , The Godfather: Part III 6.5/10 , The Bridges of Madison County 3/10 , The Host 8.5/10 , A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935) 8/10 , The Muppet Movie 6/10 , The Only Son 7/10 , Blackmail 8.5/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Blackmail I'd forgotten just how visually creative Hitchcock could be. Even at such an early date in his career he uses visual flair to increase the tension and mess with the audience. Despite a slow start it quickly picks up steam and is a fun ride with some shocking scenes, real suspense and a bit of his trademark dark humour.

It's right around when he started to really come into his own as a filmmaker. Like 1927 - 1935.

I mentioned it earlier, but if you don't know: all of Anna Ondro's lines were dubbed, live. She mouthed the words and they had another actress stand off-screen saying them out loud at the same time. Hitchcock really liked Ondra's look, but she had a thick accent and post-dubbing didn't exist yet. Hitchcock, balls of steel.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Is Blackmail the one where he used a glass ceiling to signify that someone was pacing around the room above? I always thought that was an impossibly nifty trick.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Is Blackmail the one where he used a glass ceiling to signify that someone was pacing around the room above? I always thought that was an impossibly nifty trick.

That's The Lodger, which is from 1927 and is his first great film.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I saw this movie in my high school french class. It's pretty excellent.

City of God was definitely a fantastic experience. Exceptional on pretty much all fronts. I wonder why there hasn't been an English language adaptation.

New List:
1. The Usual Suspects - I guess this is one of those underground hits that managed to pass me by. Also I love Kevin Spacey.
2. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - Brad Pitt can do no wrong if you ask me. I've just never had a good opportunity to see this.
3. North by Northwest - Recommended by very reputable sources. Hitchcock.
4. Spirited Away - For some reason everyone who knows me says I should see this. I'm just not really into anime. Maybe everyone I know is an anime loving gay. But I've heard it's good from credible people too, so who knows.
5. The Fly(original and remake) -Never really got around to either of them. The fact I am such a nerd for this genre of film only deepens my shame.
6. Mad Max 2 - It may not even be fair to say I've seen the 1st one, but I've heard the 2nd one is where it's at.
7. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Everyone I've talked to liked it. It's Scandinavian, so it must be good.
8. Rear Window - I heard it compared to Disturbia once which kinda turned me off. Hitchcock.
9. Let Me In - I loved the Swedish original and I heard good things about this American remake.
10. Eyes Wide Shut - It's next on my list of Kubrick movies.

No longer ashamed:
Taxi Driver (4.5,5), Casablanca (2.5/5), The Godfather (4/5), The Good the Bad and the Ugly(4.5/5), 12 Angry Men(4.5/5), The Godfather, part II (3.5/5), Memento(4.5/5), Raging Bull (4/5), The Crazies (4/5), M(2.5/5), Barton Fink(4.5/5), Requiem for a Dream(4.5/5), Die Hard(4/5), Garden State(3.5/5), Star Trek Generations(4/5), City of God(5/5)

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Treebeh posted:

I saw this thinking it would have lost some punch because I've seen it spoofed or imitated a dozen times but it's an excellent movie. One of Hitchcock's best (You had several movies I wanted to suggest).

Anywho, I just watched The Company of Wolves. Bizarre and oddly structured with some decent tension built in. It's not great, but it certainly gets points for style. The main story (basically a re-telling of Little Red Riding Hood) is pretty good and Rosaleen is a great character. There are several fables and a present day section that seem shoehorned into place and don't really fit. It's still a surrealistic film that while it doesn't always work, it's still fascinating.

LIST O' SHAME:

1) The Last Detail - Swearing sailors sounds superb.

2) Five Easy Pieces - Going to keep watching the America Lost and Found Box Set.

3)Young Frankenstein - I have seen Mel Brooks' Silent Movie but not this...

4) Bronson - Just saw Drive, loved it, must see more by Refn.

5) Black Moon - Drawn in by various cover art for years. No idea what it's about.

6)Precious – Most recent BP nominee I haven’t seen.

7)Life is Beautiful – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen

8)The Rules of the Game - It's so high regarded and yet I know nothing about it.

9)Tree of Life - It's on DVD now...never came to a theatre near me. Must see it.

10)Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - Love Oldboy and have never gotten around to seeing the rest of the Vengeance trilogy.

SHAME BE GONE: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Ratedargh, watch Tree of Life. It is something special.

Well, The Battleship Potemkin was certainly fascinating from a technical standpoint. It's pretty astonishing what Eisenstein was able to pull off for the time. The propaganda did get a little heavy handed though. Still, I'm glad i watched it. The Odessa steps sequence was stirring as expected and as a whole film was quite good.

4) Once Upon A Time In America- finishing up the "big" Leone films

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Sleeper, Wings of Desire, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Birds, Pan's Labyrinth, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Rashomon, Amelie, Wild Strawberries, Les Diaboliques, The Furies, It's A Wonderful Life, Network, Metropolis, Lady Vengeance, Sherlock Jr., The 400 Blows, High and Low, Carrie, The Iron Giant, M, Modern Times, Duck Soup, The Battleship Potemkin

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
Mistletoe Donkey, watch The Leopard.

Ace in the Hole is fantastic. Billy Wilder is easily one of my favorite directors. It didn't have the snappy dialogue I loved from Double Indemnity, but the writing is still top notch and the acting is stellar. I don't remember ever liking a Kirk Douglas performance as much as I do in this movie. His rant about missing New York early in the movie is terrific. I also really liked the ending, it was fitting and didn't seem like a reach or forced at all. Not my favorite Wilder, but it's still an incredible bit of film noir.

New List:
Magnolia I've been told by more people than I can count that this is a must see.

The Thin Red Line Just going to work Terrence Malick backwards.

The Magnificent Ambersons Welles.

Thieves Like Us Altman Altman Altman.

Barry Lyndon I've always found Kubrick hard to connect to. Beautiful images, with flat characters. I'll admit, I have seen a bit of this one, but couldn't finish it. I'll give it a fair chance this go around.

Requiem For a Dream The only two Aronofsky I haven't seen are this one and Pi.

In the Mood For Love TSPDT's 21st Century list. This movie looks incredible, and I love forbidden romance kinds of stories.

Nights of Cabiria More Fellini.

Schindler's List Because I am apparently a terrible person for not having seen this yet.

Diabolique Don't know anything about this, but I'm intrigued by the IMDb synopsis.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante, La Strada, Persona, Rio Bravo, Wild Strawberries, Ordet, The Apartment, North by Northwest, Greed, La Dolce Vita, Pather Panchali, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Leopard, The Mirror, Sunrise, Fanny and Alexander, The Gold Rush, Nashville, Madame de.., Ikiru, Bringing Up Baby, Au Hasard Balthazar, Amarcord, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, To Be or Not To Be, Notorious, The Battle of Algiers, The Player, Ace in the Hole

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I just watched Being John Malkovich for the first time last night and am wondering why the heck I waited so long to see it. What a bizarre and interesting story--now I know why all my friends were talking about it back when it came out.

There's still a lot of popular stuff from the late 90's/early 2000's I never saw though:

American Beauty - I remember all the buzz about this one but just haven't gotten around to checking it out.

The Sixth Sense - Shyamalan's later stuff has turned me off to checking this out. I did see Unbreakable in theaters and enjoyed it though.

Chasing Amy - I've seen a lot of Kevin Smith flicks and enjoyed them but just never got around to this one.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 31, 2011

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
mod sassinator, read the OP for rules, and then watch The Sixth Sense. Shyamalan got famous for a reason.

tokillthesunflower, I haven't seen Theives Like Us yet, but Altman Altman Altman.

Well it took me a long time to catch up with Aparajito, but I'm glad I did. I seem to be in the minority, but I found this to be better than Pather Panchali. I think the stronger focus on Apu's development gives it a stronger narrative push. The mother steals the film though, and is really the central figure. 4.5/5

In my absence I saw a few more from my list:

Tout Va Bien had the wonderful Godard style that I can't get enough of, but the drat politicizing really got in the way of what could have been a really enjoyable film. The factory and market setpieces were nice and clever though. 3.5/5

A Face in the Crowd was spectacular. Andy Griffith dripped charisma from beginning to end. I wish the themes and his character were given a bit more subtlety, though. 4.5/5

71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance
Haneke noooooo. Recommended to me earlier in this thread.
A Short Film About Killing
I'm having trouble motivating myself to finish The Decalogue, even though I've liked what I've seen before.
Kes
Don't know anything about this.
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
Heard a lot about this, I feel like I'll love it or hate it.
Still Life
Next on TSPDT's 21st Century list. Don't know anything about it.
Intolerance
Next on TSPDT. UGH I don't think I'll like this one.
The Class
Guess I'll work backwards through the Palme d'Or winners.
The World of Apu
Got to finish up the trilogy.
Stalker
I'm excited to see this, even if I haven't been thrilled with Tarkovsky in the past.
Nosferatu
On the most iCM lists.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5, Fallen Angels 4/5, Schizopolis 4/5, Blind Chance 2.5/5, The Grapes of Wrath 4/5, Ace in the Hole 4.5/5, Safe 4/5, Woman in the Dunes 5/5, Scarface 4.5/5, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance 4/5, Ghost World 3.5/5, Contempt 3.5/5, The Magnificent Ambersons 4/5, Fantastic Planet 3.5/5, The Kid 3.5/5, Santa Sangre 4/5, Pather Panchali 4/5, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser 4.5/5, Aparajito 4.5/5, Tout Va Bien 3.5/5, A Face in the Crowd 4.5/5

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 127 days!

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Watch "The Class",that's where I took my current fiancee for our first date.

As for me, I have never watched:

1) The original Star Wars Trilogy
Never really caught my interest, watched the new trilogy when they came out and I thought they were OK. Never really been a Sci-fi fan.

2) Dune
Once again, not really a fan of Sci-fi. The day my parents rented this I got facial paralysis.

3) Any of the Harry Potter films
Not interested in the subject matter at all. Can't stop looking at it like it is a movie made for kids. A friend lent me the first one on DVD many years ago and never got past the first fifteen minutes

4) Rear Window
Huge Hitchcock fan here, never really had a chance to watch this before

5) Pan's labyrinth
Huge fan of Guillermo del Toro and Mexican cinema in general, I guess the fantasy theme puts me off.

6) Seven Samurai
Three hours? Give me a break! Have seen most Kurosawa films except for this one.

7) Run Lola Run
Never really had a chance to watch this before. I remember seeing a small bit on tv but it didn't appeal to me at all

8) The Deer Hunter
My parents rented this and I went to play dreamcast instead

9) Oldboy
Completely uninterested in Korean cinema, friends have recommended it before.

10 The Battleship Potemkin
Looks interesting but perhaps a bit too old for me.

a real peso shit fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 31, 2011

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Brandy Alexander, please watch the original Star Wars trilogy

The Leopard was perhaps the most beautifully shot movie I've ever seen. The scenery as well as the costumes were just breathtaking. Burt Lancaster had this air of sadness hanging over his characterization of the Prince that really hit me. He knew his time was coming to an end and didn't know what to do with himself any more. Just an amazing film.

1) Last Year at Marienbad- everything I hear about this intrigues me

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Sleeper, Wings of Desire, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Birds, Pan's Labyrinth, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Rashomon, Amelie, Wild Strawberries, Les Diaboliques, The Furies, It's A Wonderful Life, Network, Metropolis, Lady Vengeance, Sherlock Jr., The 400 Blows, High and Low, Carrie, The Iron Giant, M, Modern Times, Duck Soup, The Battleship Potemkin, The Leopard

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

Two truly excellent films. But you are right because Rififi has been put off way too long. Watch that one next.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Overall this was satisfactory (the second half more). Although the film did run a little long and had some filler. Malfoy is becoming a ridiculous paper character. I wish they would've written him out of the story or had him shift allegiance to Potter by this point. Maybe something happens in a later movie that makes his presence worthwhile but in this one it's just a waste of time.

Again a lot of it feels derivative of other works. This time Matilda, Evil Dead, Back to the Future and Lord of the Rings.

I hope further films don't open with Potter stuck in that Aunt/Uncle house again. I can't think of any other trilogy with such a stale retread opening for three straight films.

IMDb list:

#241 Ip Man - This has been getting some good reviews. Thought it was some IT film when I first saw the title. 10/27/11

#243 Stalker - Watched Andrei Rublev a while ago and it was challenging. Been meaning to watch Solaris as well. 10/27/11

#244 Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring - Haven't seen too many Korean films. 10/27/11

new #246 Monsters, Inc. - I recall that this had lackluster reviews so seeing it on the top 250 is a surprise. 11/1/11

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Zogo posted:

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Overall this was satisfactory (the second half more). Although the film did run a little long and had some filler. Malfoy is becoming a ridiculous paper character. I wish they would've written him out of the story or had him shift allegiance to Potter by this point. Maybe something happens in a later movie that makes his presence worthwhile but in this one it's just a waste of time.

Again a lot of it feels derivative of other works. This time Matilda, Evil Dead, Back to the Future and Lord of the Rings.

I hope further films don't open with Potter stuck in that Aunt/Uncle house again. I can't think of any other trilogy with such a stale retread opening for three straight films.

In the books it opens up for 7 books straight! But I think now only The Order of the Phoenix and Deathly Hallows Part 1 the Durdsleys are in, and they both small cameos.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

In the books it opens up for 7 books straight! But I think now only The Order of the Phoenix and Deathly Hallows Part 1 the Durdsleys are in, and they both small cameos.

It's good news to me that they don't appear in all the films.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

It's a Wonderful Life Wow. I can see why this is such a Christmas classic. Very touching and sentimental. I was tearing up at the end when all of George's friends gave him the money. Jimmy Stewart was very good, and Lionel Barrymore was appropriately evil.

My List:
A Christmas Carol(1951) - This is the 1951 version with Alistair Sim as Scrooge. I've heard it is as good as the George C. Scott version, which I liked.

Best In Show - Lots of people have said that this movie is hysterical, and I could use a good comedy now.

Lawrence of Arabia - I've seen this has been recommended a lot. Haven't seen it yet.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Loved Newman and Redford in the Sting, so I am looking forward to seeing this.

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - Only Monty Python movie I've seen is The Holy Grail. I am very interested in seeing the other ones.

Cars - Only Pixar movie that I haven't seen.

Ikiru - I've only seen Kurosawa's samurai movies, but this one appers to be somewhat different.

My Fair Lady - I'm going to stick with musicals in this spot.

Frankenstein - Now that I've seen Dracula, this seems to be the natural next pick.

The Public Enemy - Never saw any James Cagney film.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life

quote:

#238 Sleuth (1972) - Don't know anything about it.

Neither do I, so tell me about it.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Dmitri Russkie posted:

Lawrence of Arabia - I've seen this has been recommended a lot. Haven't seen it yet.

Watch it in one sitting.

Watched Manhattan last night. Can't remember anything else besides the opening scene and ". You have to have a little faith in people". Can't even say it was bad, just disappointing.

The Shame List:

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen Looks insane.

Carlos the Jackal It's quite long. 330 minutes long.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me She's dead, wrapped in plastic.

Hamlet The Branagh version.

Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit Love the shorts, never got around to this one, for some reason.

Gangs of New York Only Scorsese I haven't watched from his 00's output.

Mesrine: Killer Instinct/Public Enemy No.1

The Long Good Friday English gangsters featuring Super Mario.

Have watched so far 19 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

Love this version. Hope you like it!

Finished Barton Fink just now. I liked it, it was rather cerebral. Not my favorite Coen Bros movie, but it's certainly worthy of a watch. John Goodman was great and John Tuturo was as awesome as always. I felt it was really slow paced and had I not been assigned the movie, I might have turned it off part way through. But I pushed on and the last 20 minutes made it all worth it.

My updated list:

1. Philadelphia Story - Another movie I have no idea about, but it keeps getting recommended in this thread.

2. Mad Max. Here's something interesting. I didn't know this was three movies. I thought they were all one movie. So if this isn't the first one, let me know and I'll watch the first one instead.

3. The 3 Faces of Eve. If I'm not mistaken, this is about a woman with multiple personalities, yes?

4. Sunset Boulevard. I've always heard great things about this movie and it's referenced in a lot of pop culture. I hope it's as good as I'm thinking it will be.

5. The Deer Hunter. Don't know a lot about this one, just that it has a young Christopher Walken in it and there is an intense Russian roulette scene. But I hear it's good, so I'm adding it to the list.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

7. La Dolce Vita. Have no idea what this is about at all. I'm not even very sure of who directs it. I hope it's good.

8. My Neighbor Totoro Don't know too much about this one. I like the director and enjoyed Spirited Away, so I'm hoping this one will be good.

9. Rabbit Proof Fence. My dad has been trying to get me to see this one since he saw it, saying it's fantastic. Just never got around to it.

10. The Gold Rush. I've never seen a single Chaplin movie.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist; The Red Shoes; Eraserhead; Vertigo; Raging Bull; 2001: A Space Odyssey; Tombstone; Seven Samurai; 8 1/2; Dancer in the Dark; Lawrence of Arabia; Metropolis; It happened One Night; Bonnie and Clyde; The Seventh Seal; Singing in the Rain; Barton Fink