Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure if there was a way I could weasel out of the additional fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Indeed, the $10 is based on the phone, not an upgrade.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
My experience with the Airvana (3G Airrave) has been good. Voice quality is no worse than the poo poo-tastic norm for super-compressed latency-ridden digital cellular service and data pegs out at the 3g max of 1.5 Mb/sec.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I just lost my Epic longboarding, so if anyone has an extra 4G phone please let me know. Failing that, I'll probably see if I can talk my local Sprint reps out of the deposit on replacing it.

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge

Yerok posted:

I just lost my Epic longboarding, so if anyone has an extra 4G phone please let me know. Failing that, I'll probably see if I can talk my local Sprint reps out of the deposit on replacing it.

I have an epic I'm looking to sell if you're interested. email me: karafa@gmail.com

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Are Sprint refurbs known for being terrible or am I just lucky? I'm on my third Evo 4G. My original new purchased one had issues ringing when people called. The replacement for that one got dust under the screen after 2 months. The replacement for that one which is a whole 1 week old now has a non working power button. Thank god I added TEP this time around.

At what point do they start talking to me about getting either a new one instead of a refurb, or a different comparable phone model (if ever, do they do that)? My faith in these refurb Evo's is pretty much gone.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ninmeister posted:

At what point do they start talking to me about getting either a new one instead of a refurb, or a different comparable phone model (if ever, do they do that)?

When my EVO broke they gave me the option of getting a Nexus S instead. I only had it for a week cause I couldn't stand it. I traded with Duckman and got an EVO back.

The only thing I miss is that I don't have a white EVO anymore and I really liked it.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Skeezy posted:

When my EVO broke they gave me the option of getting a Nexus S instead. I only had it for a week cause I couldn't stand it. I traded with Duckman and got an EVO back.

The only thing I miss is that I don't have a white EVO anymore and I really liked it.

Did they offer you that on their own or did you ask? Also, what did you dislike about the Nexus S?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ninmeister posted:

Did they offer you that on their own or did you ask? Also, what did you dislike about the Nexus S?

I just told them I needed a phone sooner than it would take to get a refurb EVO. As far as the Nexus S goes, it's a nice phone and all but the screen size really bugged me out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ninmeister posted:

Are Sprint refurbs known for being terrible or am I just lucky? I'm on my third Evo 4G. My original new purchased one had issues ringing when people called. The replacement for that one got dust under the screen after 2 months. The replacement for that one which is a whole 1 week old now has a non working power button. Thank god I added TEP this time around.

At what point do they start talking to me about getting either a new one instead of a refurb, or a different comparable phone model (if ever, do they do that)? My faith in these refurb Evo's is pretty much gone.

After 3 swaps you should be able to swap for a different model, especially now that you have insurance. Go to a tech center, complain and ask. I'll tell you potential authorized replacements pop up as the 3D and nexus, so push and ask them. Can't completely guarantee, some stores are more anal than others.

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong
I don't suppose SERO accounts can buy the iPhone at an Apple store can they? The not quite local Apple store here says they have a couple of the 16gb ones in stock and I don't want to wait the 3 weeks for Sprint's online order.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Just to make sure - I've read about this and know how it works but haven't done it before. I am going to buy a phone off craigslist and have the seller meet me at the sprint store to check the esn and activate it. I'll pay cash and there's no way I can get screwed, right?

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Just to make sure - I've read about this and know how it works but haven't done it before. I am going to buy a phone off craigslist and have the seller meet me at the sprint store to check the esn and activate it. I'll pay cash and there's no way I can get screwed, right?

I just did this the other day, except I called the 800 number while the seller waited. As long as the ESN checks out, you're fine.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Even if it were stolen but not yet reported stolen, they wouldn't let you activate a phone that's already used on another account's active line.

A phone will be blacklisted for reported loss/theft or nonpayment. Once it's activated on your line, I doubt the previous owner becoming delinquent would cause them to blacklist it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Yep, you're absolutely fine, I've probably bought/sold a dozen Sprint phones at this time and as long as Sprint reports the ESN is cool, I suppose the only way you'd get screwed is if the seller decides to murder you in the store parking lot for his :10bux:

If it's a smartphone / "premium" phone, the $10 premium data charge gets tacked on immediately upon activation of the new phone. My previous HTC Diamond (Windows Mobile 6.5) apparently wasn't considered quite smart enough to charge the extra $10 on :laugh:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

vwman18 posted:

I don't suppose SERO accounts can buy the iPhone at an Apple store can they? The not quite local Apple store here says they have a couple of the 16gb ones in stock and I don't want to wait the 3 weeks for Sprint's online order.

No, you cannot buy the phone at apple unfortunately. Sorry dude.

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

Oh well, it was worth a shot. I placed an order for one a week ago and its still showing as backordered. I was just hoping I could get it a little sooner.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Kynetx posted:

My experience with the Airvana (3G Airrave) has been good. Voice quality is no worse than the poo poo-tastic norm for super-compressed latency-ridden digital cellular service and data pegs out at the 3g max of 1.5 Mb/sec.

Mine's so-so. After I put it after the router, instead of before like the instructions said, I quit having speed issues on my laptop. The only issue I really have is our phones being slow to connect to it for some reason, even with no signal. And then the phone dropping instead of switching over to cell towers (where there is signal outside).

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

vwman18 posted:

Oh well, it was worth a shot. I placed an order for one a week ago and its still showing as backordered. I was just hoping I could get it a little sooner.
I'm looking to do the same thing. Would it be possible to get it early from a local Sprint store?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

that Vai sound posted:

I'm looking to do the same thing. Would it be possible to get it early from a local Sprint store?

Did you put the deposit down? Because if so I don't know.

If not, if you are a reg sprint customer any sprint store has in and out (mine got a few in today). If you are a SSERO/EPRP you have to go through a corporate store.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

uapyro posted:

Mine's so-so. After I put it after the router, instead of before like the instructions said, I quit having speed issues on my laptop. The only issue I really have is our phones being slow to connect to it for some reason, even with no signal. And then the phone dropping instead of switching over to cell towers (where there is signal outside).

Mine is after, but in the DMZ. Works fine thus far.

If you want to force it to attach to you femto/nano/Microcell, dial *99.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

vwman18 posted:

I just did this the other day, except I called the 800 number while the seller waited. As long as the ESN checks out, you're fine.

If you have them activate it in store or over the phone, won't Sprint charge you an activation fee? I'm also looking at picking up a Craigslist or eBay phone and I was hoping to just activate it online for free. I was thinking of meeting at a coffee shop or something with free wireless, checking the ESN online at http://www.checkesnfree.com/ and then activating it.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

After 3 swaps you should be able to swap for a different model, especially now that you have insurance. Go to a tech center, complain and ask. I'll tell you potential authorized replacements pop up as the 3D and nexus, so push and ask them. Can't completely guarantee, some stores are more anal than others.

Walked into the Sprint store, 15 minutes later walked out with an Evo 3D being overnighted to my house. Fantastic! They also offered the Shift or the Nexus S.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rhombus posted:

If you have them activate it in store or over the phone, won't Sprint charge you an activation fee? I'm also looking at picking up a Craigslist or eBay phone and I was hoping to just activate it online for free. I was thinking of meeting at a coffee shop or something with free wireless, checking the ESN online at http://www.checkesnfree.com/ and then activating it.

Activation/upgrade fees are $36 per device and only applicable when purchasing new equipment from Sprint or signing up for the first time. New account activation fees get waived with the right discount (UPS, certain hospitals, JP Morgan, etc) so you can always post here saying what your discount is and i can confirm/deny. Unless you have a credit union discount on your account upgrade fees are unavoidable. Online used to waive both fees, but no longer does. Cost of phones went up, and I'll tell you most people don't flinch at paying them, so being that most people pay them, you won't see them go away.

So if you are buying a used phone for your Sprint account, no fees and Sprint stores will get them setup. You can use that website (I assume its legit) or call sprint customer care to run through an ESN. But if you are buying a used phone to start a new sprint account, you will still sign a 2 year contract and will still have an activation fee, the only plus is you retain upgrade eligibility. So for new accounts i usually recommend buying from sprint.

ninmeister posted:

Walked into the Sprint store, 15 minutes later walked out with an Evo 3D being overnighted to my house. Fantastic! They also offered the Shift or the Nexus S.

Sweet, glad to hear it!

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Did you put the deposit down? Because if so I don't know.

If not, if you are a reg sprint customer any sprint store has in and out (mine got a few in today). If you are a SSERO/EPRP you have to go through a corporate store.
I'm a new customer, and I signed up for a contract with EPRP on the website.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ninmeister posted:

I love when someone gets a nice upgrade like this.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Why do you guys think they didn't have the EVO Design listed as a possible replacement? Too new? To me it sounds more logical than upgrading the customer to the more expensive EVO 3D.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

nate fisher posted:

I love when someone gets a nice upgrade like this.

Its like winning the lottery. The nerd lottery.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

td4guy posted:

Why do you guys think they didn't have the EVO Design listed as a possible replacement? Too new? To me it sounds more logical than upgrading the customer to the more expensive EVO 3D.

Too new and more than likely don't have any refurbished models in stock yet.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Thanks everyone for the help - found an unused photon on craigslist for 250 dollars plus a microSD card and didn't get killed in the parking lot! Got to hold on to my upgrade in case the galaxy nexus comes to Sprint...

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ninmeister posted:

Its like winning the lottery. The nerd lottery.

This happen to me with the HTC Mogul. I requested tech support for it online (as suggested by Goons) and they sent me a HTC Touchpro. I gave the TP to my wife when I got a Hero, and she took it for support at a Sprint store, and instead they gave her a Palm Pre. It was the phone that didn't stop giving.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 3, 2011

Encor3
Jun 29, 2005

Konnichiwa Bitches
On the Epic 4G Touch is there anyway to toggle the 4G on and off from a widget while on the stock rom? The included Power Savings widget includes the toggles for wifi, bluetooth, gps, etc, but no 4G. The only way I've found is through going through the settings menu.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Encor3 posted:

On the Epic 4G Touch is there anyway to toggle the 4G on and off from a widget while on the stock rom? The included Power Savings widget includes the toggles for wifi, bluetooth, gps, etc, but no 4G. The only way I've found is through going through the settings menu.

Get Widgetsoid from the Market. It's free and lets you create widgets for just about anything. Some functions need root but 4G shouldn't.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jim2&feature=search_result

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I just received my brand new SGSIIE4GT, and the size of the phone matches the size of the name - it is pretty drat big (coming from a Hero, anyway.)

First thoughts are that I am disappointed that an external card is not included, but I guess with 12 GB internal available, that isn't too much of a problem. Also, a 4 foot USB charging cord - really? You couldn't spring for the 6 footer, Samsung/Sprint?

That being said, I like the phone so far - hopefully I won't get the LOS issue, though that seems to be happening mostly to people who are rooting their phones...

I charged it up to about 90% at 1pm, and now it is down to about 30% battery life - though I am thinking this is due to a combination of terrible reception in the basement where I work and the fact that I am trying to download all my apps to the phone.

I've already dropped the screen brightness down a bit, but does anyone have any other recommendations regarding conserving battery? I used the stock app killer, but I think it killed some required processes, because I had to reboot the phone to get the App Store to connect.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

That being said, I like the phone so far - hopefully I won't get the LOS issue, though that seems to be happening mostly to people who are rooting their phones...
Loss of signal has, and does happen to folks who have never rooted their phones. But it happens far more often, annoying-more often actually, to folks who are actively running custom kernels. Fortunately the issues there are being sorted out, and rumor is that Samsung has already prepared a maintenance update to address this, although it might be another month or so before it can be released.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've already dropped the screen brightness down a bit, but does anyone have any other recommendations regarding conserving battery?
You're not going to have the best battery life in the first week when you're messing around with the device all the time anyways. Chances are though that your battery life is subpar in part due to weak-signal conditions.

If you can't "get out of the basement" keeping a charger nearby is probably best. When you can't really do that you can try disabling data (but leave the phone radio on so you still get calls and SMSes). Or try using WiFi if that's an option. Or play with background sync settings a bit.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I used the stock app killer, but I think it killed some required processes, because I had to reboot the phone to get the App Store to connect.
Don't use an app killer, they're deprecated and cause more harm than good. This is even true for the one included with the device, which Samsung shouldn't have done. It's OK to use one to kill a particular offending application if it freezes (I have frequent trouble with ADW Lanucher doing this), but a full-on "Clear memory" type thing will end up respawning a bunch of poo poo anyways and cause no good.

As an example of this, doing a "Level 2 Clear Memory" on the original Epic would rather frequently result in SMSes failing to send until the phone is rebooted.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I charged it up to about 90% at 1pm, and now it is down to about 30% battery life - though I am thinking this is due to a combination of terrible reception in the basement where I work and the fact that I am trying to download all my apps to the phone.

I've already dropped the screen brightness down a bit, but does anyone have any other recommendations regarding conserving battery? I used the stock app killer, but I think it killed some required processes, because I had to reboot the phone to get the App Store to connect.

Bad reception will kill a phone's battery worse than anything else. If you have the ability to use WiFi, do it, since it will turn off the 3G radio. Also, make sure 4G is turned off unless you plan on using it. In general battery life improves after the first few days on Android phones, so that might help as well.

Never use a task killer except if you need to kill a specific app that's misbehaving. Otherwise you're likely to stop things from working properly and even hurt battery life. Here's a good article as to why Android works best without task killers: http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/04/multitasking-android-way.html

efb

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah, I understand that being in a place with bad reception is going to drain the battery faster than usual. I was just wondering if there were any tips specific to the phone regarding battery conservation.

The task killer was fine to be honest - it was when I cleared the memory that I ran into problems. But, in all fairness, I was warned that issues could result should I continue my course of action.

I know that you're not supposed to use a task killer, but I found it was necessary on the Hero. Without it, the phone would just get bogged down in apps - I don't imagine I will be running into that issue with this phone though.

Just because I didn't know there was a difference, what is difference between a custom ROM and a custom kernel?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

Just because I didn't know there was a difference, what is difference between a custom ROM and a custom kernel?
The "ROM" is anything in /system, which includes the Android framework and preinstalled apps, whereas the kernel is a separate thing.

In short, the kernel is the agent that facilitates all the hardware and peripherals, whereas the ROM contains UI code and everything you "see" on the device. So a custom kernel usually enables hardware-level features like overclock, blinking-light notifications, crap like that. Whereas a custom ROM usually has a different theme (i.e., looks different) and a different set of preinstalled software.

That's the short of it anyways. There's more devil in the details. For one, some custom ROMs are intended to be paired with a specific custom kernel, for example CyanogenMod and the (sometimes a device-specific) CM kernel.

Edit: I should mention, two things that are somewhat Galaxy S II specific:

These days in order to root a device (which itself is a whole other discussion) you have to install either a custom kernel or a custom ROM. The program that grants root privileges on the device, "su", is actually installed to /system (the ROM). A custom kernel is needed to actually install it to /system if it's not already there, but once installed, you can swich back to the stock kernel for example. Custom ROMs already contain "su" in /system anyways.

Generally I'd go with the custom kernel route, except for the fact that the E4GT custom kernel situation is kind of messed up due to the whole loss of service thing. LoStKernel, however, is pretty good at eliminating it already and it's getting the latest patches to "be more like stock" in an upcoming release.

The second thing is that folks often install custom recoveries (e.g., ClockworkMod) to facilitate the installation of custom ROMs or other modifications. On most Android devices, e.g., the Hero, a recovery is separate from all other parts of the system and so can be flashed independent of anything else. This isn't true on the SGSII/E4GT where the recovery is built into the kernel (more or less) and has to be flashed as a single package. So if you want a custom recovery, you have to install a custom kernel, more or less.

Or you can just ignore the whole rooting thing for now.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 3, 2011

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom
Hopefully the Epic Touch will be getting CM support soon. I will miss some of the features of touch wiz, like the ability to slide left or right in contacts to do whatever, but the thought of CM on this hardware is too much to pass up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Thanks everyone for the help - found an unused photon on craigslist for 250 dollars plus a microSD card and didn't get killed in the parking lot! Got to hold on to my upgrade in case the galaxy nexus comes to Sprint...

Not being killed is always good. I'm too late on this one, but other than checking the ESN, just make sure if you activate in the store, that they don't stand close enough to hear you give your PIN to the Sprint rep. Although they can't charge new phones to your bill like they used to, I'm sure there are still ways to scam people with their PIN.