Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I'm pretty sure that using anything over 87 is just wasting money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Anything different from what the manufacturer recommends is wasting money.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

hayden. posted:

Anything different from what the manufacturer recommends is wasting money.

Yup. Manu recommended unless it's the first tank in awhile and I'm cleaning out some bad gas. Then I'll put in 91 in the hopes that it evens out the lovely gas and takes it down to an effective 87 octane.

The reason that higher octane doesn't help is because the octane controls how quickly the mixture burns and how detonation resistant it is. Higher octane means slower burning, and more detonation resistance. If you're not taking advantage of those 2 things with engine/cam/compression ratio tuning, then it's effectively worthless. When I add flatslides and cams to my SV, I'll switch to 91 to avoid pinging and detonation, but anything short of that isn't going to see any gain unless specifically tuned for it.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

Xovaan posted:

It's a huge improvement over the Delkevic stubby exhaust that was on prior to this one (my ears don't bleed after riding to school).

That Delkevic stubby sounds great and you know it. :argh:

I keep mine on in case I ever forget that I'm riding a slick japanese v-twin.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Just bought this battery tender and some STA-BIL to winterize my bike. I wish I had enough money to just buy some warmer pants/jacket, but that'll have to wait until next year. Looks like I'll have 1 more day of riding this next week when it's supposed to get back into the 60s, and then I'll put her away. :(

The battery tender is a pretty killer price (especially if you have Amazon Prime), so some of you might want to know about that deal.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fangs404 posted:

Looks like I'll have 1 more day of riding this next week when it's supposed to get back into the 60s, and then I'll put her away. :(

I think it's time for the great Cycle Asylum migration to California. My friends are hyped for snow to go skiing and snowboarding. Hate this poo poo.

Sicarii
Sep 29, 2011
My SV bogs down in the rain. I didn't make it 50 km before it started missing and I pulled over at a service station that had a canopy so it could dry out. I suspected it was the wet because it had been running splendidly. Had no time to look at it myself, so had a dealership come pick it up.

Turns out its the spark plug cap (cover? boot?) that is letting water in so the front cylinder starts missing until it stalls. It had new spark plugs a month ago, so I'm going to pick it up when they're open on Tuesday and put the new boot on with some dielectric grease on it.

Anything else I should look at? I was concerned about water in the gas too, because the gas cap doesn't fit quite right, (Unless a strong gas smell around the cap and gas leaking out when on its side is normal) but the dealership took apart the carbs to check and found no water.

Sicarii fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 31, 2011

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Dialectric grease will solve your problem - it's a known issue for SV's to get the front cylinder flooded with water in the rain.

It's normal for gas to come out of a tank that's sideways because the gas cap has vents around it. You should be okay.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
A small plastic shield mounted below the radiator to deflect most of the spray away from the plug is a good idea if you ride in the rain regularly.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Bike's coolant light is coming on. Don't know what to do at this point. :geno:

Should have just dropped the extra grand for a stock, newer SV. But for the same reason my dogs come from shelters, I wanna work through this. Yes, I'm a masochist, but at least I'm a sexy masochist. And by sexy I mean stupid, of course.

Here's what I'm thinking the culprit is at this point:

-Coolant temp sensor
-Fan fuse / fan itself, maybe?
-Bubbles in coolant line

Any other thoughts or ideas?

Z3n I'd give you one of my hundreds of beers if you could magically fly up like a wizard or some poo poo and help me with this. :3:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Is your engine actually hot when the light is coming on? If it's not, then you got a faulty sensor. If the engine is hot or may possibly be hot (you're not sure), then it's probably your fan not kicking on. Your fan should kick in once your engine reaches a certain temperature, well before the overheat light comes on.

I seriously doubt you have bubbles in your coolant hoses. If you want to be sure, you can always pop the cap off the radiator and check the level, and fill up as required.

To clarify: I had an older CBR that had this symptom and it was just that a wire was disconnected from the fan, preventing it from activating. The bike would overheat at idle (eventually), usually when stopped at a red light. If I got going fast enough for air cooling to take effect it would cool off a bit.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 1, 2011

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
To check the fan/temp sensor unplug the connector and short the terminals in it with a paperclip or some wire. If the fan turns on then the sensor is probably broken. If the fan doesn't turn on then look more closely at that.

I had the coolant sensor die on me, very quick fix.

GanjamonII fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 1, 2011

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I know this might sound condescending, but it's not meant to be: Have you checked to see if there actually is coolant in it? Sometimes it's the most simple things...

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Haha, yeah, there's coolant. When I'm in motion (40+mph) my temperature steadies between 160 and 180F according to my aftermarket temp gauge in the radiator hose. As soon as I stop, the temperature rises pretty quickly.

When I arrived at my house (just now), my bike was around 210F and left it idling and checked the fan, which wasn't on like I'm guessing it should be.

Ganja: The temp sensor is the big thing on the radiator on the right side of the bike, right? And it shouldn't turn on when shorted? I'm gonna wake up early tomorrow and check it out.

Is there a fuse that could have blown for this setup as well? I don't have a user manual offhand. :(

And as always, thanks for all the help. You guys rock!

edit: the fan isn't supposed to come on until 217, I guess. I guess I was just paranoid because the aftermarket gauge is showing the warning but I guess the numbers are within spec. Still, I feel that 180-190 in Santa Cruz business districts (stop lights and average 35-40mph) is a bit high, and the Internet isn't giving me a solid answer on it. Where is the fan's fuse located, exactly?

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 1, 2011

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

On my 2nd gen on a warm, not hot, day 180F-200F even while moving has been pretty normal. The fan doesn't kick on until 219F. Its one of those things that you just stop paying attention to after awhile and only look at it if the bike is acting differently.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Do you have a trailtech gauge on it? The default temp warning light comes on stupid low, somewhere like 205 degrees. Change it so the first warning is at 225 and the second one is at 235.

All of the numbers you list are easily within spec for an SV.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yeah, I have a trailtech gauge. I figured that would be a potential issue. The previous owner was an idiot and spraypainted everything on the bike black except for a tiny gauge to see the coolant levels so I can't tell if what I smell while riding is untreated spraypaint or a coolant leak or what.

Thanks for removing my paranoia! Slowly learning. :ohdear:

edit: I'd like to add that getting a bike is still one of the best decisions I've ever made and is the most fun I've, well, ever

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 1, 2011

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Don't worry I went through all the same paranoid stuff when I first got the SV. I actually rode it up to a shop and asked them to listen to it cause I thought the cam chain tensioner was busted but the guy (who built and raced SVs) looked at me with pity and told me its a vtwin and its pretty much just gonna be like that..

Which really prepared me well for the future because my tuono makes even louder top end noise than the SV..

edit- I think most people go through this. Bikes are noisy, not like cars where you have 2 feet of firewall, insulation and dash between you and the motor.

ride it until the wheels fall off/engine needs rebuild!!!

GanjamonII fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 1, 2011

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I plan on it! The way my friend described v-twins to me was "there are two pistons and they just kind of whatever they want". I am beginning to trust his expert opinion on the issue.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Are there any sv slip-ons that improve the sound without increasing the volume of noise too much? I'd like a throatier exhaust note without being obnoxious to my neighbors.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I really like my Yoshimura TRS exhaust quite a bit. There are ton of options out there (Two Brothers and M4 are others off the top of my head) and it all depends on which one you like in person. Youtube videos aren't a good way to gauge them really.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

bladesamurai posted:

Are there any sv slip-ons that improve the sound without increasing the volume of noise too much? I'd like a throatier exhaust note without being obnoxious to my neighbors.

Debaffle the stock exhaust, only add a few holes to start with, drill more for more noise.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Z3n posted:

Debaffle the stock exhaust, only add a few holes to start with, drill more for more noise.

Even after completely removing the baffle mine isn't too loud, my neighbours confirmed it doesn't bother them at all.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

I ran over a retread on the freeway tonight on my way home from work and consequently the shifter knob broke off of the lever. I figure this might be an excuse to upgrade to some rearsets if I can find them cheap enough. Does anyone one have a pair of Woodcraft or Vortex rearsets for an 04 laying around they are willing to part with?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

bladesamurai posted:

Delkevic 350mm, it comes with a baffle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

:neckbeard:

Ok who needs parts. :v:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Nice! I do.

I'd love that rear fender, actually. And, uh, that windscreen is pretty rad. And the bike is pretty cool too, in general. :ninja:

I'm actually in need of new clip-ons because mine are pretty old and busted. Will they bolt up to the GSXR750 forks?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Nice! I do.

I'd love that rear fender, actually. And, uh, that windscreen is pretty rad. And the bike is pretty cool too, in general. :ninja:

I'm actually in need of new clip-ons because mine are pretty old and busted. Will they bolt up to the GSXR750 forks?

Yup, it's got a GSX-R front end on it. I'll drop you a PM with info and some pictures later.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Excellent. Thanks dude! I'm slowly undoing the previous owner's fuckery and making this thing a decent bike. :)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Z3n posted:

:neckbeard:

Ok who needs parts. :v:

I'm in need of rearsets. Once I start putting the bike together I'm sure I'll need all sorts of miscellaneous bolts and crap as well.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

the walkin dude posted:

Delkevic 350mm, it comes with a baffle.

Here's what I heard from delkevic on how much louder these exhausts are than stock:

"Here is what my product manager got back to me with…

Usually about 6db`s on an inline 4-5 cylinder sports bike (GSXR etc) but probably only about 4-5 db`s on a twin such as the Aprilia RSV, EX500 etc"

Seems pretty reasonable!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My old Delkevic was loud enough to set off car alarms just by driving close to vehicles, but I also had the "stubby" model. My roommates could hear me riding down Highway 9 a quarter mile away. Might have not had baffles though.

Sicarii
Sep 29, 2011

Xovaan posted:

My old Delkevic was loud enough to set off car alarms just by driving close to vehicles, but I also had the "stubby" model. My roommates could hear me riding down Highway 9 a quarter mile away. Might have not had baffles though.

I don't think I have ever heard a motorcycle that loud.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
You had the super short, rear end in a top hat-Delkevic exhaust. I had a 8 inch long Delkevic which was a bit more quieter than yours on my now-perished SV. It was too loud, even for my profoundly deaf ears.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 3, 2011

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

With just a slipon and a k&n filter I won't run into any problems regarding running lean, right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

bladesamurai posted:

With just a slipon and a k&n filter I won't run into any problems regarding running lean, right?

Should be ok stock. SV stock jetting is pretty rich. Worst case you can shim the needles with some washers.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Went -1 +1.

Bike now power wheelies in first.

Found that out by accident.

Also pilot power ct2's are loving amazing.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

the walkin dude posted:

You had the super short, rear end in a top hat-Delkevic exhaust. I had a 8 inch long Delkevic which was a bit more quieter than yours on my now-perished SV. It was too loud, even for my profoundly deaf ears.

drat, I didn't know they made one that short and baffle-free... checking the website it looks like it's only designed for the track. I was talking about the 14" "stubby" pipe they made, it's louder than stock, but not too obnoxious.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yeah, they make one shorter...

Such a joke. There isn't enough back pressure with a stock setup to warrant having one. I was getting all sorts of hosed up issues that have since disappeared by going for a better slip-on.

Z3n posted:

A small plastic shield mounted below the radiator to deflect most of the spray away from the plug is a good idea if you ride in the rain regularly.

Could you expand on this? I'm gonna be riding my bike through winter and this sounds like a necessity for me. :ohdear:

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

On a completely unrelated subject, does anyone notice the gearbox feels pretty flimsy when downshifting quickly as you're coming to a stop? Coming down 2 to 1 especially it gets stuck in neutral half the time, then I have to ease out the clutch so it "pops" into place. Does anyone else get this problem?

• Locked thread