Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Why did the soundtracks get changed in the first place anyway?

He went crazy, made a huge rear end of himself on the forums, and got all his music pulled. He also tends to ego-search so the topic's not brought up anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Why did the soundtracks get changed in the first place anyway?

Bolin left and revoked Andrew's permission to the copyright. But we got more Radiation out of it :colbert:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Looks like I picked the right time to reread the latest act!

At least it couldn't be said the intermission was going to drag on.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Seoinin posted:

Yeah true, but killing off one of the elements of the process that creates new universes for him to consume seems really dumb on his part.

Unless they aren't actually a part of his process. Assuming he's not just killing them for yuks (seriously look at that loving thing), he probably views either the horrorterrors or their dreambubbles as a threat to his power. Though past that I'm just blue-skying.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Eikre posted:

Bolin left and revoked Andrew's permission to the copyright. But we got more Radiation out of it :colbert:

As well as RJ Lake and Jared Micks Solatrus.

Oxxidation posted:

Also I guess we now know which body we weren't supposed to turn our backs on

To be fair, it's not like someone looking would've helped. He's not a Boo.

Walliard fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 2, 2011

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also I guess we now know which body we weren't supposed to turn our backs on

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Perhaps it is time to search for a new avatar. :(

I wanted it to be true...

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol
Silly Lord English, your skull goes on the inside of your head

Silva
Aug 26, 2003

Time is the fire in which we burn
Welp, good luck going to sleep tonight, me.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
I like that the Overcoat is also his time travel device.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Wow, this is pretty much one of the finest examples of Homestuck's incredibly self-referential nature. It's great. The 'Cairo Overcoat' thing is really clever too.

tinaun posted:

Edit: He backdated it to Halloween. huh.
According to Twitter, he had it ready to post that day, but then weather happened. Happy Homestuck Halloween hee hee hoo hoo :spooky:

Warm Body
Sep 18, 2007
The tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps to tap, at three, on the teeth
God drat, I don't even know where this is going to end up, but gently caress Yeah. I'm glad that Lord English ties in thematically without actually being one of the old characters. ...But I could still be wrong about that due to time shenanigans.

Since we've seen the Vast Honk, Glub, and Croak, I hope we'll eventually see the Vast Expletive. :allears:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Haha ok could have never guessed Scratch meant that when he said he had to die for Lord English to arrive.

In the start of the flash, when it starts to fill with flashing balls, a whole bunch of them don't flash and remain 8-balls. Anyone got any idea if they are in a pattern or something? I took a screenshot but there's no pattern I can discern, and it doesn't help that it no doubt includes some of the flashing balls that were 8-balls at the moment.

UltraPenguinX
Mar 23, 2009

TC: hOnK hOnK iM a MoThErFuCkInG sEaL :o)
I'm pretty sure that entire intermission can be summed up as ":stare:" . However I have a nagging feeling that Scratch said somewhere that he wasn't Lord English. Is there any veracity to that? Also, how exactly did he die? Did Hussie shake him to death like some sort of infant?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Also the balls orbiting the planet are all flickering except for one, the eight ball.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
You know, the best thing about this is that we will no longer have to deal with dumb "____ is Lord English" jokes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Boneless Jogger posted:

You know, the best thing about this is that we will no longer have to deal with dumb "____ is Lord English" jokes.

Eiba posted:

Jade is Lord English.
We will never not have to deal with those dumb jokes. :colbert:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

UltraPenguinX posted:

I'm pretty sure that entire intermission can be summed up as ":stare:" . However I have a nagging feeling that Scratch said somewhere that he wasn't Lord English. Is there any veracity to that? Also, how exactly did he die? Did Hussie shake him to death like some sort of infant?

I seem to recall this too, not exactly sure when, and it's another one of Scratch's lies of omission.

Doc Scratch is NOT Lord English because they are completely different beings. However, Scratch has BECOME Lord English through his death. So he's not, but he is, but he wasn't at the time but now is... :psyduck:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Radio Paranoia posted:

I seem to recall this too, not exactly sure when, and it's another one of Scratch's lies of omission.

Doc Scratch is NOT Lord English because they are completely different beings. However, Scratch has BECOME Lord English through his death. So he's not, but he is, but he wasn't at the time but now is... :psyduck:

Again, he was an excellent host.

A host plush, even.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
There was something about the flashing pool balls that always unnerved me. Especially when that's all we got to see of LE when he revealed himself to the Handmaid. It's weird, but actually seeing him took that edge off. Sure, he's a horrifying monster, but not as horrifying as I had imagined him. I guess I imagined he'd be Lil' Cal-ish too. Or Big Cal, like the other guy said. Just not Hulk-ish.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Wait. Have we seen that clock before? Because I think we have, and that's amazing.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Things Lord English Is:

* Some kind of hulk-out parasite from the puppety husk of Doc Scratch
^ implies Big Cal
* A honker
^ implies some relation to Gamzee/the Subjugglators, be it prophecy, direct, or possibly an influence from L'il Cal
* A big fucker, as he actually fits into the Cairo Overcoat/Sarcophagus
--> recall: the Cairo Overcoat rips and tears when time shenanigans are going on. Stitch repairs it. There are supposedly two, the main coat and a backup.
* Wearing a pegleg reminiscent of Skipper Plumbthroat? I never saw the Squiddles flash
* Evil

That's quite the identity. An evil honking peg-legged skull-faced demon bug puppet cue-ball man who is omnipotent and can travel through time, out to rid the space beyond space of cephalopods. And that's just the reasonably obvious.

And chief amongst those against him are a girl who's a god who merged with an omnipotent dog and her resurrected alternate self; and a troll girl who was a ghost then a frog then a robot and now a fairy god.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Nonbaka posted:

It's weird, but actually seeing him took that edge off. Sure, he's a horrifying monster, but not as horrifying as I had imagined him.
This is basically true of every previously-unseen monster in fiction ever. Sorry, but even Andrew Hussie's not going to overcome that rule.

Still, as such reveals go, I thought that was pretty well done. I wasn't expecting LE to be as hulkish as he is either... but for me, the fact that I wasn't expecting that made it more effective.

quote:

Wait. Have we seen that clock before? Because I think we have, and that's amazing.
Pretty sure it's also the same clock that was used for displaying the judgements of John and Vriska's godtier deaths.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 2, 2011

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

So Lord English came out of Doc Scratch who was born from some code representing and Lil Cal, who was created by Gamzee's psychic rage into Dave's brain, which is extremely expensive. Hence, the most important character in Homestuck wasn't just Lil Cal or Gamzee, it was both of them.

Also this tends to imply Lil Cal is a universal constant. Which is something we all knew in our hearts to be true all along.

Edit: Also if we want to follow this even further back, Gamzee's rage was caused by Dave, who infuriated him using a sick youtube sent by Betty Crocker, who was doing the will of Lord English. Bang, stable time loop. Lord English is his own daddy, but also so is Dave, Gamzee and Cal.

Edit2: Another thought:

Factory Factory posted:

^ implies some relation to Gamzee/the Subjugglators, be it prophecy, direct, or possibly an influence from L'il Cal
You'll remember that Doc Scratch was the one who guided the troll race to be as bloodthirsty as they were post-scratch. So yes, confirmed influence from Cal English himself.

Skeleton Mom fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 2, 2011

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

creationist believer posted:

Jade's grandpa had a bunch of sarcophagi. LE's had a creepy Terminator-ish skull on it though, which that one and none of the others in Jade's house had from what I can find.

This implies that Grandpa had some inkling of what was involved in summoning Lord English and was furiously scouring the Earth for him, but never succeeded in finding him. Interesting.

And as far as not being terrifying goes, I was a little underwhelmed until I realized he has Cal's head as a skull. I dunno about you, but given previous facts that came across as just a bit terrifying. :stare:

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

Hjalmar posted:

Also this tends to imply Lil Cal is a universal constant. Which is something we all knew in our hearts to be true all along.

I'm not so sure of that. Lord English seemed perfectly tailored to the genetic code and first guardian of the troll session. As such, I'm sort of wondering if his appearance changes from session to session based on the genetic code and first guardian.

Would he look dog-like if he were to erupt from Bec?

Maybe he's always Big Cal, though.

e: Also, is this implying that Lord English is super Scratch or that Lord English is summoned through the body of the first guardian?

e2: He also has a gold tooth so he's definitely Plumbthroat.

http://i.imgur.com/E8LHf.jpg

Saradiart fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
...I'd work out something to say about what just happened, but I really don't think I possibly could verbalise what just happened.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

pumpinglemma posted:

Haha, that thing in the little window near the middle is an 8 ball. I get it.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

I liked this update, but can't help but think this would have been better as a page out of a Junji Ito comic, especially the parts where Lord English's arms and legs grew out of Doc Scratch's nubs.

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol
The transformation of the well mannered Doc Scratch into the brutish Lord English is alluding to / referencing The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde pretty nicely.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know about all you folks, but this flash basically vindicated the gently caress out of me. I always figured that LE was a)Big Cal and b) somehow inside of Doc Scratch. I'm so glad I checked MSPA before I left for class today.

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.

Pleasant Friend posted:

Junji Ito

This universe was made for me! DRR DRR DRR

About Lord English though: I wasn't particularly shocked by the reveal or anything, but I also think it would have been hard for Hussie to handle it in a way that nobody would have seen coming.

At least this way there's a lot of retroactive foreshadowing towards Doc Scratch being LE, as well as a lot of symbolism (LE's peg leg is both a reference to Skipper Plumbthroat as well as being a Pool Cue)

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Saradiart posted:

Would he look dog-like if he were to erupt from Bec?

You... you mean "erupt from Jade"...

:ohdear:

Tensei posted:

This universe was made for me! DRR DRR DRR

dude no the farts are the fish
were dealing with sharks of the fartpocalypse here

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
And there's that pink moon again, mocking us. :argh:

I think this might actually not just be the entry of Lord English into the troll universe, but where he emerged in the first place. Where Doc Scratch's apartment is drifting looks a lot like what we saw when the Green Sun was being created... where better for his part to begin?

(In any case, all of this also kind of explains why Doc Scratch didn't lose his cool until Jack attacked the clock. Seems like it might have been more than an indicator all along.)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I've got a hunch that Lord English contains another, smaller Lord English.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Tensei posted:

About Lord English though: I wasn't particularly shocked by the reveal or anything, but I also think it would have been hard for Hussie to handle it in a way that nobody would have seen coming.

I am reasonably certain that nobody predicted a one entry intermission that showed the emergence of Lord English as a crocodile pirate monster.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The ship is tiny and adorable now.

Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me
The scary wolf head from Neverending Story is so funny, I love that poo poo every time it pops up

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

atomicthumbs posted:

I've got a hunch that Lord English contains another, smaller Lord English.

It's Englishes all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
I realise this makes me a big baby, but Jesus loving Christ, that flash scared me to the core. The limbs just... growing and tearing through the clothes and ugh. I can express myself by no means other than :gonk:

... And then "END OF INTERMISSION 2" makes me laugh like a maniac. Hussie has my respect and admiration forever.

Also, I don't think we can say Scratch is literally Lord English; just, well... his host. God, that's going to get run into the ground.

Also, still betting on a cueball-headed dog guardian for post-scratch Earth.

Graceful Graveler fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 2, 2011