Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Himuro posted:

Personally, I felt that GTAIV started to dip a little into Packie's mission set. I couldn't stand the McReary's.
I like Packie, but I'm a bit biased in the fact that I love Three Leaf Clover and he reminds me of people I knew growing up.

gently caress Derrick though. He only has one cool mission and he's obnoxious. You're a really lovely character when I actually have to put some thought into if I want to kill Francis McReary over you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
To each their own I suppose, the Mafia sections were probably my favorite in the whole game aside from Three Leaf Clover. (the bank robbery) Of course I go into every GTA game wanting it to be Goodfellas the game.

I hope Rockstar doesn't take all the rave reviews of Three Leaf Clover the wrong way and stuff the game with a bunch of attempts to one up it. Part of what made that mission so cool was the way it seemed to come out of nowhere and felt like a really big deal.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The bank heist mission with all those guys was absolutely insane and probably the peak of that whole game. Then nothing after that comes close to being as huge as that mission.

That mission was pretty cool, the only thing that bugged me was the opening cut scene. I sat there thinking "Can I play already?" There were a few missions like that actually where they relegated some cool stuff to cut scenes and left the player with the rest.

By the way people, a question. Why is TLAD so stutteringly unplayable on my PC with the exact same settings as regular GTAIV with runs perfect minus shadows?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I was/am a huge fan of GTA 4 but I did get a sense near the end that it was running in circles a bit. That said I love the writing/story telling that Rockstar attempts even if it doesn't always work completely. I'm very much looking forward to GTA V premiere tomorrow.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
Oh my god what if one of the protagonists is Jimmy Hopkins from Bully???? He seemed like the kind of guy who would become a street-savvy career criminal when he grew up.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

moms pubis posted:

Oh my god what if one of the protagonists is Jimmy Hopkins from Bully???? He seemed like the kind of guy who would become a street-savvy career criminal when he grew up.

I don't want to see Jimmy Hopkins turn to a life of crime. He's a good kid, just misunderstood. :ohdear:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Anyone else think TLatD did the bitter ending right compared to IV?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

monolithburger posted:

By the way people, a question. Why is TLAD so stutteringly unplayable on my PC with the exact same settings as regular GTAIV with runs perfect minus shadows?
Probably that grime filter, hazarding a guess.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
I played with the grime filter off and it still performed worse than IV and TBoGT. Not so much as to make it unplayable, but it was definitely noticeable.

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008
I'm not looking forward to the trailer in the same why I was looking forward to the 1st GTA IV trailer. Too focused on Skyrim/Uncharted 3/SR3/MW3 right now. I'm still setting the alarm for 5am tommorow morning though.

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008
While I thought GTA4 was a bit boring towards the end, Gay Tony really stepped up and was sort of reminiscent of the old school GTA wackiness. I hope Rockstar manages to pull off a Red Dead Redemption vibe for GTA5. That game has some of the most memorable things I've ever seen in any game:

Arriving in Mexico with Jose Gonzales playing in the background and John riding down from the mountain to reunite with his family.

Both of those moments are just so perfect.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Foiltha posted:

While I thought GTA4 was a bit boring towards the end, Gay Tony really stepped up and was sort of reminiscent of the old school GTA wackiness.

*golden Little Bird blows up enemy vehicles on your way to the airport*

ARAB MONEY

MOTHER

BITCHES

Yusif loving owned.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Capn Beeb posted:

ARAB MONEY

MOTHER

BITCHES

Yusif loving owned.

As much as I enjoyed Yusif, his VA sounded distractingly like Roman when he got really excited.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Capn Beeb posted:

ARAB MONEY

MOTHER

BITCHES

Yusif loving owned.

I hated Yusif. In fact, I hated every "whacky" character in IV's trilogy: Brucie, his brother, Manny, and especially Yusif. They are all so obnoxious.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 2, 2011

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
What disturbed me a little in TBOGT was the crazy stalker ex subplot. It's such a drastic change of tone when she kills herself by jumping off a building. Is it supposed to make me laught like the rest of the game?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Capn Beeb posted:

ARAB MONEY

MOTHER

BITCHES

Yusif loving owned.

I loved Yusif, specially since Louis is always a bit baffled because the dude is just so weird compared to the rest.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

What disturbed me a little in TBOGT was the crazy stalker ex subplot. It's such a drastic change of tone when she kills herself by jumping off a building. Is it supposed to make me laught like the rest of the game?

Yeah, agreed. I was like :gonk: at that part because it hit a little close to home.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
2 hours 30 minutes till the trailer! Let's place bets on what we'll see. I'm betting on:

• Characters with facial motion capture, a la LA Noire
• One shot of the main character riding a horse

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Zedd posted:

I loved Yusif, specially since Louis is always a bit baffled because the dude is just so weird compared to the rest.

I'd agree Yusif was a great character.

On the whole, I'm a pretty big apologist for GTA 4 for a number of different reasons.

As I thought about it though, a large reason that I completely lost interest in the story (along with the DLC stories), and I think most people lost interest was because they made the majority of the characters downright annoying, unlikeable, and uninteresting.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
As much as I'm enjoying SA, DDR and stealth sections? Eugggghh, I just wanna blow poo poo up.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Polo-Rican posted:

2 hours 30 minutes till the trailer! Let's place bets on what we'll see. I'm betting on:

Do you WANT the game to be on six discs?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

greatn posted:

*insert PS3/360 fanboy arguement*

Probably should just ignore that and move on.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

greatn posted:

I have like 6TB HDD space, so yeah sure why not; if the game is good.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

As much as I'm enjoying SA, DDR and stealth sections? Eugggghh, I just wanna blow poo poo up.

Yea unfortunately SA came out when rhythm games were exploding in popularity and every game developer had some requirement to include stealth sections in their games.

That mission on the beach where you have to dance to succeed killed me, the buttons didn't match the music on my PS2 or something (or I'm retarded with rhythm, more likely) and it took me ages to beat it. My friend would clap out the rhythm while I hit buttons and the whole scene was so embarrassing if my dead relatives ghosts were watching me that day.

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008
As much as I don't want it to go back to San Andreas, that poo poo would look so good on a next-Gen system. We'll find out in a bit though.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I thought the facial animation in GTA4 was just fine. And from what we saw in LA Noire, there is a weird disconnect when you have a super realistic face and a traditionally animated body. It was alright in LA Noire because all the characters were mostly sitting still when talking, but GTA characters are always flailing around with all sorts of hand gestures and stuff.

I'm sure they can adapt the tech so that it looks decent in a GTA game, but it just seems unnecessary.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Would be the perfect combo to see a toned-down version of LA Noire's faces combined with an even better version of GTAIV's Euphoria physics. You'll be able to see pedestrians wincing as you hit them doing 100mph in a Mr Frosty.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

wa27 posted:

I thought the facial animation in GTA4 was just fine. And from what we saw in LA Noire, there is a weird disconnect when you have a super realistic face and a traditionally animated body. It was alright in LA Noire because all the characters were mostly sitting still when talking, but GTA characters are always flailing around with all sorts of hand gestures and stuff.

I'm sure they can adapt the tech so that it looks decent in a GTA game, but it just seems unnecessary.

The tradeoff of ballooning the game data size just isn't worth it, in my opinion. It was a neat tech demo, I thought it looked great, but not great enough to justify swapping discs twice (in the case of LA Noire). GTA with that technology would easily be 4+ discs on an Xbox 360.

I'm not going to get any work done in the next two hours. :ohdear:

SuperAntiGravity
Dec 9, 2005
Actually it's closer to... zero.
So traditionally, how long between these trailer premieres and the actual release of the game?

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008
Well, IV was released a year and a bit after the first trailer so hopefully that's the case now.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I hope they tone down the flailing the characters do in cutscenes, because it always looks really silly compared to say SA's smoother, less exaggerated movement. It even looks weird compared to the in-game movement.

drivebyhobo
Jan 13, 2011

sirbeefalot posted:

The tradeoff of ballooning the game data size just isn't worth it, in my opinion. It was a neat tech demo, I thought it looked great, but not great enough to justify swapping discs twice (in the case of LA Noire). GTA with that technology would easily be 4+ discs on an Xbox 360.

I'm not going to get any work done in the next two hours. :ohdear:

Enough with this swapping discs nonsense. You know there is a thing called hard drive install?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

SuperAntiGravity posted:

So traditionally, how long between these trailer premieres and the actual release of the game?

A year.

EBag
May 18, 2006

wa27 posted:

Have you played GTA4 recently? They were great at the time but even now I think they feel quite static and stiff.

I was one of those who had a lot of fun with GTA4 when it first came out but was ultimately dissapointed. I have high hopes for 5 though and can't wait to see what they've been up to after all these years.

Trapjaw
Jan 30, 2005

Sup, Haddonfield?

Polo-Rican posted:

• One shot of the main character riding a horse

I vote for a few lines of speech by someone with a low and gristly voice.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Sir Xiphos posted:

Well, IV was released a year and a bit after the first trailer so hopefully that's the case now.
As was pointed out to me, however, the game was set to be released six months after the release of the first trailer. So who knows, maybe they're aiming for a March release. That said, it was also pointed out that they have two fairly high profile games coming out in Spring 2012, so maybe they're not gonna throw GTA V in there too.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

drivebyhobo posted:

Enough with this swapping discs nonsense. You know there is a thing called hard drive install?

I have a 20GB (~13GB free max after deleting everything else) hard drive in my 360. (Guess what you still have to do anyway with LA Noire even if you install?)

drivebyhobo
Jan 13, 2011

sirbeefalot posted:

I have a 20GB (~13GB free max after deleting everything else) hard drive in my 360. (Guess what you still have to do anyway with LA Noire if you install?)
MSFT would like it if you would purchase a higher capacity hard drive from them.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I too wish I didn't have to stand up a single time during what's probably going to be a 20+ hour game. I'd much rather have a less immersive experience than raise my lard arse out of the cheeto dust to change a disk.

Won't somebody think of the fatties!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Trapjaw posted:

I vote for a few lines of speech by someone with a low and gristly voice.

At least one shot of a sports car. Presumably drifting.

• Locked thread