Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lunael posted:

Evil Twin can do such filthy things, pretty happy to splash that card:

I drafted a weird deck a week ago with two Evil Twins and Back From The Brink. It's such a fun card. Best things to happen:

* Copy Village Cannibals. It and Diregraf Ghoul swing. Block the ghoul, tap before damage to kill the Cannibals, making mine big enough to kill the ghoul and live.

* Copy both sides of a flip card. Never out of reach!

* Copy Lantern Spirit. Free flyer that I can return to my hand when I need to copy something better!

* Two copies of the same card. Need to copy something new? Kill one twin with the other (edit: Or I guess just have the one twin suicide -- that's the better play) and bring the twin Back From the Brink.

It's a slow card and you can't really rely on it as a bomb but if you like playing tricky, Evil Twin is a blast.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

flipstyle posted:

Played in a IND swiss this afternoon. It started out pretty bad, I first picked a Demonmail Haurbek, but midway through pack 2 my deck started taking shape. Went 3-0 so it worked out.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=2zykp

Delver of Secrets in a deck with one instant.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

flipstyle posted:

Played in a IND swiss this afternoon. It started out pretty bad, I first picked a Demonmail Haurbek, but midway through pack 2 my deck started taking shape. Went 3-0 so it worked out.

I don't know how you can first pick a hauberk over creeping renaissance, unless you were planning on forcing some deck with lots of tokens.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I feel like smite the monstrous is criminally underrated, at least in goon drafts. I can't imagine keeping it in the board in a deck with only 2 removal spells? I also saw a draft where someone took an off color mediocre creature over it I'm pretty sure?

flipstyle
Dec 10, 2003
Tastes like burning

Mornacale posted:

Delver of Secrets in a deck with one instant.

lol ya the one time i played delver the next upkeep i flipped the one instant so it worked! i should have had smite the monstrous instead of delver.

Mierdaan posted:

I don't know how you can first pick a hauberk over creeping renaissance, unless you were planning on forcing some deck with lots of tokens.

imo its not a first pick card. id rather have the artifact since its not forcing me into any color. plus the haurbek can fit in any creature deck so i picked it

flipstyle fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 31, 2011

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007
Demonmail Hauberk is not good. It might be okay in a token deck, or something, but Brimstone Volley and Stitched Drake are much, much better.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I once topdecked Demonmail to win the game due to a ragethrower I had out.

blitzkreig.bmp
Aug 7, 2008

Rottin' and Rollin'

socialsecurity posted:

I once topdecked Demonmail to win the game due to a ragethrower I had out.

I once topdecked Hornet's Sting to kill someone at 1 life (Not really, just illustrating a point). Just because it won a game doesn't mean its good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Useful limited lessons: Civilized Scholar is still a human when he flips and can't block Stromkirk Noble...

Ugh, and it sucks so much to realize that I blew a close match that I could have won if I hadn't thoughtlessly skipped over playing a creature because I was reeling from a trick that blew me out in the combat phase. Mental discipline in those situations is so difficult. Oh well, the game before that was an interesting slapfest where I was swinging in the air with Angel of Flight Alabaster while feeding the same Chapel Geist over and over to a Lumberknot that got to 16 power before I eked out a game win

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 1, 2011

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

yeah I just used Garruk the Veil-Cursed to tutor up Skaab Ruinator :shepface:

count the rares bitches

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Danimo posted:

count the rares bitches

:stare: That has to be disheartening to play against.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Yiggy posted:

:stare: That has to be disheartening to play against.

first round opponent was just astonished, 2nd round opponent was pretty pissed

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Danimo posted:

count the rares bitches

Jesus... Thats at least 8 rares that I see, and you are playing 7 of them. I probably would have dropped a forest for a mountain just in case your grotto was milled.

And at the paper release event I had an opponent put Bonds of Faith on my Civilized Scholar as he didn't want to get hit with the Brute. That didn't work so well for him, and my 7/3 finished him off a few turns later.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.
My favorite part is the sulfur falls for the added insult of not even having to put a mountain in to properly splash red.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Bugsy posted:

Jesus... Thats at least 8 rares that I see, and you are playing 7 of them. I probably would have dropped a forest for a mountain just in case your grotto was milled.

normally I'm conservative when it comes to mana bases and would have done that but the green creatures I'm playing are a lot worse if I have to pay another mana for them.

edit: lost 0-2 in the finals to a deck that was actually much better than mine :stare:

Danimo fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 1, 2011

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

flipstyle posted:

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=2zykp

I'm glad you went 3-0 but your deck could have been better,

Smite the monstrous, bell ringer, a 3rd lantern spirit and unruly mob would all have been way better then delver of secrets (which is terrible in limited in a deck with 5 trigger cards, let alone 1). Invisible stalker is only so-so. and really only has synergy with haubrek. I would have played the 3rd spirit or smite instead of the stalker.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Re: DelverChat, I did the math because I'm Ben from Parks and Rec IRL:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ah9jSoOzPxoLdDFmNWg5S25Pa2NXazNhLV9EZjFYMnc&output=html

Based on these results I think the line for playabality is pretty high - 7 or 8 instants/sorceries would be about the minimum where I'd give any thought to playing him.

for those who want to check my results the formula for the top set is =
((TotalCards-(Upkeep triggers-1))-(#InstantsSorceries))
/
(TotalCards-(Upkeep triggers-1)))

*(Probability of not having hit with one less upkeep trigger)

And bottom set is just 1-top set obviously

Count
Apr 28, 2004

You don't account for the chance of drawing the instants/sorceries in your opening hand, right?

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Count posted:

You don't account for the chance of drawing the instants/sorceries in your opening hand, right?

Yeah it does. In this situation the only known card is Delver of Secrets, in play. Hand, library, graveyard, etc. are all a black box - once you look at your hand the probabilities change, but this is not about on-the-fly chance, it's a general look at "how often will my delver flip?" If my setup is right, in theory a simulation of millions of Delver casts would result in those numbers.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 2, 2011

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Just got like a 10th pick Travel Preparations in this draft. :stare:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

JerryLee posted:

Just got like a 10th pick Travel Preparations in this draft. :stare:

At first I read that as "I picked my 10th Travel Preparations in this draft".

Well, you'd certainly be prepared for travel :v:

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Of Texas posted:

Based on these results I think the line for playabality is pretty high - 7 or 8 instants/sorceries would be about the minimum where I'd give any thought to playing him.

Also you have to take into account that, in this set, the likelihood that your noncreature spells will include artifacts and enchantments (rather than instants & sorceries) is high. So our hypothetical player is not only having to cut a card to include the Delver but also Cleavers, Pitchforks, et al too.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

The Lord of Hats posted:

At first I read that as "I picked my 10th Travel Preparations in this draft".

Well, you'd certainly be prepared for travel :v:

I only got 2 of them but I think my deck is ok, 2-0 matches so far.

I broke my rule about not splashing a third color but having a grotto and an amulet helps with that.

e: Lost last match to Heretic's Punishment. I'm not one of those people who thinks ISD limited is too bomby but drat if it isn't annoying when your opponent can play a card and just kill you in 2 turns without giving one poo poo about what you have on the board.

Moral of the story is to pick Silverchase Fox higher, I guess. :v:

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 2, 2011

FyreStar
Jun 18, 2004
SILENCE, BLATHERING TOADIES!
Fun Shoe
How would you folks have built this pool?

This is what I ended up going with, and it worked alright. Couldn't figure out a build that wasn't ugly, though.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Went 3-0 with a deck I didn't feel that confident about. Mindshrieker is pretty awesome, I splashed it and thinktwice into a fairly generic BR deck and it helped me win a match. It drew fire in some other games which eventually helped to win. I've never had much success with hand discard but Night Terrors helped me consistently strip rebukes and other bad stuff out, I normally sideboarded in the second which came in handy. And Stensia Bloodhall won a game for me for the first time ever. I keep getting them all the time but this is the first its ever tipped the scales.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

FyreStar posted:

This is what I ended up going with, and it worked alright. Couldn't figure out a build that wasn't ugly, though.

I'd take BW base that has playable creatures on good curve, evasion and token generators with Demonmail Hauberk. You have good tools for splash so Garruk is in for sure, expanding to splash Gutter Grime definitely is an option and would play well with the token generators, Hauberk.

1 Doomed Traveler
1 Walking Corpse
2 Vampire Interloper
1 Unruly Mob
1 Elder Cathar
2 Voiceless Spirit
1 Screeching Bat
1 Village Cannibals
1 Abattoir Ghoul
1 Abbey Griffin
1 Mausoleum Guard
1 Slayer of the Wicked
1 Morkrut Banshee
1 Reaper from the Abyss
--
16 creatures

1 Traveler's Amulet
1 Garruk Relentless
1 Demonmail Hauberk
1 Victim of the Night
1 Dead Weight
1 Smite the Monstrous
1 Bonds of Faith
--
7 other spells

7 Swamp
7 Plains
2 Shimmering Grotto
1 Forest
--
17 lands

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
I might drop the Unruly Mob or the Walking Corpse and splash Gutter Grime as well, card is nuts.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care
I got 7 Sensory Deprivations for all my all blue mill draft deck a few days ago. I did alright, going 2-1, and it was hilarious watching opponents go insane from having a board full of sensory deprived creatures.

I'm not sure how 'competitive' a strategy it is in limited, but I think mill is the most fun....as long as they don't have a spider spawning in their deck.

Count
Apr 28, 2004

Blompkin posted:

I'm not sure how 'competitive' a strategy it is in limited, but I think mill is the most fun....as long as they don't have a spider spawning in their deck.

It is probably the least competitive archetype. Your opponent can always side in more cards to basically gain more life. And cards in the graveyard help your opponent in this set.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care

Count posted:

It is probably the least competitive archetype. Your opponent can always side in more cards to basically gain more life. And cards in the graveyard help your opponent in this set.

How would gaining life help them? I'm milling their deck.

Although all the flashback cards can be annoying, the only one that's really dangerous is Spider Spawning. All the others are useful in limited, but not overwhelming.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

FyreStar posted:

I'd have gone for UW flying/control splashing green.

Mindshrieker
Battleground Geist
Lantern Spirit
Mausoleum Guard
Voiceless Spirit x2
Unruly Mob
Elder Cathar
Doomed Traveler
Slayer of the Wicked
Ambush Viper

Claustrophobia
Sensory deprivation
Bonds of Faith
Smite the Monstrous
Spidery Grasp
Grasp of Phantoms
Forbidden Alchemy
Garruk the Relentless

Demonmail Hauberk
Trepanation Blade
Mask of avacyn
Traveler's Amulet

Shimmering Grotto x 2
Kessig Wolf Run
Forest
Mountain
6 island
6 plain

That feels to me like a solid mix of evasive creatures, ways to make those evasive creatures dangerous, and a little bit of removal. If you play another white deck with spirits, which you will, those urgent exorcisms are good sideboards.
6 plains

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
They're not literally gaining life - it's just that adding more cards into their deck is equivalent to gaining life since you'll have to mill through a larger deck.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care

whydirt posted:

They're not literally gaining life - it's just that adding more cards into their deck is equivalent to gaining life since you'll have to mill through a larger deck.

Oh, I see. I haven't had an opponent do that yet. I'm not sure how effective that strategy would be, as it reduces the likelihood of them getting cards central to their strategy, but you never know.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Watching Conley draft Innistrad is one of the most frustrating thing. Seeing him go all in on reanimator with no good targets and like 2 creatures was awful, but then seeing him first pick burning vengeance and then take unburial rites over deranged assistant, spirits over flashback cards, etc... Ugh

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Wezlar posted:

Watching Conley draft Innistrad is one of the most frustrating thing. Seeing him go all in on reanimator with no good targets and like 2 creatures was awful, but then seeing him first pick burning vengeance and then take unburial rites over deranged assistant, spirits over flashback cards, etc... Ugh

I haven't watched the Reanimator draft but those picks in the 3rd draft are correct. Deranged Assistant is best in the UB zombies deck and fine in the vengeance deck but Unburial Rites is really good and easily splashable.

The 3/3 flying spirit is a solid creature, and like Conley said passing it would be a terrible signal

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Danimo posted:

I haven't watched the Reanimator draft but those picks in the 3rd draft are correct. Deranged Assistant is best in the UB zombies deck and fine in the vengeance deck but Unburial Rites is really good and easily splashable.

The 3/3 flying spirit is a solid creature, and like Conley said passing it would be a terrible signal

You're probably right, I don't have a ton of experience with the archetype but I feel like in a narrow strategy like Burning Vengeance you need to really force it and take all the cards that can work with it instead of taking "better" cards. You need all th flashback stuff you can get and taking a creature over a good flashback card that early can really hurt. Especially when you don't know how many flashback cards you're actually going to see. Also with Unburial Rites, it is definitely a strong splashable card but if you're already committing to a spell heavy deck it's going to make getting value from it harder. Deranged Assistant isn't that strong though so I guess it's not a huge sacrifice.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Wezlar posted:

You're probably right, I don't have a ton of experience with the archetype but I feel like in a narrow strategy like Burning Vengeance you need to really force it and take all the cards that can work with it instead of taking "better" cards.

drafting an archetype is good but drafting a good deck is better. maybe if he had also gotten a 2nd pick Burning Vengeance you could justify that.

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.

Count posted:

Siding in more cards isn't as huge a deal as it would first seem, given the amount of aggressive mill there is in the set. In a typical draft game that I'd won with mill, they were getting rid of 3-5 cards a turn before the draw. As such, you'd need to add in that much more for an extra turn, I don't see a lot of people being able to add more than 6-10 moderately useful cards to appreciably affect things. Not to mention they are drawing more substandard cards, and your non-mill picks should be centered around good stalling of the board state.
Additionally, mill will be non-linear with respect to number of turns, because you can draw another mill card to add to your pile of mill effects. As a result of this mill ramp, adding another turn is incrementally harder. Adding 4 cards to your deck doesn't add four turns before you lose, it's closer to maybe one turn.

As for spider spawning, it is a tough beat but since you're playing blue you have access to three counterspells, including one that removes it from the game. If you're in white you can side in purify the grave, if you're in black you can get the other curse to keep the graveyard trimmed down.

Mill is hardly perfect, but it is fun and effective if you know what you're doing. The biggest catch is that you have to gamble that there will be enough mill cards in your draft pool more than anything else.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care
Yeah, that's why aside from milling cards, I tend to focus on blue flying creatures and anti-creature cards. That way if I don't get enough mill cards, I can combine it with a second color and still have a pretty good deck.

The drawback of this strategy, however, is by expanding my options, I often have to make very painful choices, since I'm looking for many different things. Nothing's worse than having one of each (mill, blue anti-creature, and blue flyer) all in the same pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Blompkin posted:

Oh, I see. I haven't had an opponent do that yet. I'm not sure how effective that strategy would be, as it reduces the likelihood of them getting cards central to their strategy, but you never know.

If you're really all-in on the mill plan, they can just throw every playable creature into the mix, since they'll all be good against you.