Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

razz posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a high-quality non teflon cookie sheet/baking pan?

any reason why you want a teflon one? just get an aluminum one from a resto supply store for supercheap and use parchment paper or a silpat. Way better for you, the environment, and will last approximately a bazillion longer than a teflon sheet will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

RazorBunny posted:

I'll have to check the bottle I have now.

I'd be willing to bet that if there's any place in the US where you can buy the good stuff, it's in the DC area. We have a huge immigrant population from all parts of Asia, and our ethnic grocery stores are amazing.

We have friends who live pretty close to you (Franklin) and they're really into authentic Japanese food. When they came to visit we took them to Lotte and they wound up cramming their car trunk full of stuff they couldn't get at home. Lotte is awesome.

This link suggests looking at Trader Joe's or Herbal Hut (http://www.herbalhut.com/).

Edit: o poo poo, how about this? Looks a little less hippie-dirty than HH: http://ndlabs.com/bickford_flavors.html

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

GrAviTy84 posted:

any reason why you want a teflon one? just get an aluminum one from a resto supply store for supercheap and use parchment paper or a silpat. Way better for you, the environment, and will last approximately a bazillion longer than a teflon sheet will.

It says "non Teflon", I'm guessing razz wants a nonstick sheet pan.

I don't know what the brand is, but I got a very good nonstick aluminum sheet pan set at Costco with a cooling rack and a plastic lid. I also have a Wilton Tri-tanium jelly roll pan that is awesome. Neither was terribly expensive, maybe $25 for the set and $19.99 for the Wilton pan, which I think I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond.

Edit: thanks for the link! I had seen Bickford recommended but hadn't seen any place that solds the four ounce size. Still not as many flavors as the old brand, but I'm sure I can find the fruit flavors and such piecemeal.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

GrAviTy84 posted:

No, I said NON teflon :)

^^^ yeah what she said!

EDIT: I'm actually trying to think of something for my mom to get me for Christmas (she's bugging me already) and I can't really think of anything I need besides some sort of bakeware. I use cast iron exclusively but apparently they don't make cast iron cookie sheets but that'd be so badass if they did.

razz fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 2, 2011

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Shnooks posted:

Has anyone here ever used soy flour in place of regular flour or almond flour? How has it affected your baking?

Also how much almond flour do I use if I'm replacing AP flour...

There are some flour blends here which might give you an idea of proportions.

Edit: and on the extract question, one last link: http://www.icdc.com/~vanilla/product2.htm#PureNaturalFlavorandExtractFromAlmondtoStrawberry

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 2, 2011

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Dulkor posted:

I'm considering trying some cooking with crickets, but I'm not entirely sure about reliable sources for recipes and/or good, reputable purchase options. Any goons know enough to point me in the right directions?

Clearly you missed the last ICSA.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

razz posted:

No, I said NON teflon :)

^^^ yeah what she said!

EDIT: I'm actually trying to think of something for my mom to get me for Christmas (she's bugging me already) and I can't really think of anything I need besides some sort of bakeware. I use cast iron exclusively but apparently they don't make cast iron cookie sheets but that'd be so badass if they did.

oh my bad, whirled peas has me assuming the worst from people. recommendation still stands, restaurant supply store half sheet pans and a silpat/foil/parchment

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Haha! It's okay, don't worry I'm kind of a hippie and :tinfoil: about teflon.

I've seen the silpats online before and they always have good reviews, how are they as far as ease of cleaning/picking up stains from cooking etc?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Shnooks posted:

Has anyone here ever used soy flour in place of regular flour or almond flour? How has it affected your baking?

Also how much almond flour do I use if I'm replacing AP flour...
I can't speak for everyone, but I find the taste of soy flour to be incredibly foul. If you're looking for high-protein additions to your flour, try quinoa or spelt flour. Both have distinctive tastes, but if you like them then they're very versatile, especially compared to nut flours.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

The Macaroni posted:

I can't speak for everyone, but I find the taste of soy flour to be incredibly foul. If you're looking for high-protein additions to your flour, try quinoa or spelt flour. Both have distinctive tastes, but if you like them then they're very versatile, especially compared to nut flours.

You're the second person to mention that. Honestly, I'm looking for a low carb option.

Is it like kinako? I honestly haven't opened it up yet. I think Kinako tastes like peanut butter :3:

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I have a nutritional question about cheeses! I know that cooking enthusiasts tend to know a lot about chemistry too, so here's hoping this is the right place.

My nutrition class has been wondering about the effect that the aging process has on the chemistry of a cheese-- you'd think it'd be an easy question to answer, but my Google abilities have failed me this time. If anyone has a link that relates to the questions below, I'd also really appreciate it.

1. How much does the ripening timeframe vary within a single type of cheese? I've read that cheddar can be aged between 2 months and 2+ years. Is that timeframe determined by the speed of the bacteria at work? Deterioration of proteins? Basically, what draws the line as to the shortest or longest times you'd want to age one particular type of cheese?
2. How does the ripening process affect nutrients, particularly protein? I can find this answered in brief a lot of places but I haven't found a good in-depth look. Ideally I'd love a good chart of nutrient density in the same cheese at different ages, but anything would help.

Any level of sources, from personal experience to scientific journal, would probably be a great help.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Nobody reads the last post on the page. :(

Left Ventricle posted:

I make lasagna every so often, and I wanted to know if I'm committing some grave culinary offense by using pre-prepared ingredients for convenience.

Rather than boiling the noodles, I use American Beauty brand "oven ready" noodles. This is because I almost always end up tearing the boiled noodles when trying to lay them in the dish. Instead of pressing the garlic myself, I use minced garlic that comes in those little jars. Then there's pre-shredded cheese, with the exception of the mozzarella, which I buy the balls and shred myself, since no matter what brand or what store, shredded mozzarella in the bags always ends up being all dried out for me. And, probably the most grievous, spaghetti sauce mix in place of "real" spices. Using these convenient ingredients cuts down on preparation time by a fair amount compared to how I learned it from my dad.

It always turns out well, and I've had nothing but accolades from anyone who's eaten it. Am I going to give myself and my family/friends cancer? Will the food cops come and arrest me? :ohdear:

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

Nobody reads the last post on the page. :(

If it turns out well, and everyone loves it why ask why? There are a gazillion different lasagna recipies, your dad's being one. If your modification makes you happy, make it and eat!

Roxy Rouge fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 2, 2011

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Shnooks posted:

You're the second person to mention that.

It's quite bitter and lends itself to very dense baked goods. It should only be used with other flours.

quote:

Honestly, I'm looking for a low carb option.

...oh.

quote:

Is it like kinako? I honestly haven't opened it up yet. I think Kinako tastes like peanut butter :3:

No, because soy flour in the US isn't generally roasted.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

PatMarshall posted:

For Caesar:

Thanks!

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Roxy Rouge posted:

If it turns out well, and everyone loves it why ask why? There are a gazillion different lasagna recipies, your dad's being one. If your modification makes you happy, make it and eat!
Well, I didn't want to have terrible culinary shame for using no-boil noodles and pre-shredded cheese in my lasagna. Love is the secret ingredient and all that. Thanks.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I picked up this bamboo cutting board for $17 during Amazon's Black Friday Lightning Deal earlier tonight: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002LXTY6

It seems to hit all the notes: groove for liquids, nice large cutting surface, pretty good reviews. Is there anything I'm missing? My current cutting boards are 2 for $1 from Ikea so I'm pretty :downs: when it comes to these things.

Otm Shank
Mar 5, 2005
Mir raucht den Kopf!!!
I'm attempting to make kimbap but I want to use brown rice. Is it possible to make brown rice sticky enough for this application? Would sushi rice work? Anyone have a good recipe for brown sushi rice??

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Left Ventricle posted:

I make lasagna every so often, and I wanted to know if I'm committing some grave culinary offense by using pre-prepared ingredients for convenience.

Rather than boiling the noodles, I use American Beauty brand "oven ready" noodles. This is because I almost always end up tearing the boiled noodles when trying to lay them in the dish. Instead of pressing the garlic myself, I use minced garlic that comes in those little jars. Then there's pre-shredded cheese, with the exception of the mozzarella, which I buy the balls and shred myself, since no matter what brand or what store, shredded mozzarella in the bags always ends up being all dried out for me. And, probably the most grievous, spaghetti sauce mix in place of "real" spices. Using these convenient ingredients cuts down on preparation time by a fair amount compared to how I learned it from my dad.

It always turns out well, and I've had nothing but accolades from anyone who's eaten it. Am I going to give myself and my family/friends cancer? Will the food cops come and arrest me? :ohdear:

Yeah they're on their way to you now. Eat fast. Oven ready noodles are fine. As long as you cook the lasagna right it'll cook like any other dried pasta. Sounds like you're already shredding your own cheese so that's good. The other shortcuts are more dubious.

Crushing garlic isn't exactly a time consuming task and since you want fresh garlic for other purposes why would you keep stock of fresh garlic and jar garlic?

Jar sauce will make an average lasagna. But basically everyone loving loves lasagne so even an average lasagna is still going to be well received. If you want to push the boat out, stretch yourself and make awesome lasagne then making your own sauce is the first step. Put your own mark on it. Make an ultra reduced crimson tomato sauce and contrast with fresh ricotta. Use a herb that isn't basil. Make a light marscapone tomato sauce and skip the white layer completely. Make bechemel. Use pumpkin. Use beans (holy poo poo the best homemade lasagna I've ever eaten was beans and cheddar. truth.). There's a hundred ways to make lasagne but if you stick to jar sauce you're only experiencing one of them.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 2, 2011

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

If you feel it's fine then keep making it. But you've been enticed to post here about it which leads me to believe you realize something is missing or could be a lot better. Like poteto said, challenge yourself to make it your own, a little bit at a time. At the very least stop using no boil noodles and jarlic. The texture of those noodles and the flavor of that jarlic is a caricature of the real thing. so what if the noodle breaks when handling? It's going to be smothered and what not, it's not that big of a deal.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I picked up this bamboo cutting board for $17 during Amazon's Black Friday Lightning Deal earlier tonight: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002LXTY6

It seems to hit all the notes: groove for liquids, nice large cutting surface, pretty good reviews. Is there anything I'm missing? My current cutting boards are 2 for $1 from Ikea so I'm pretty :downs: when it comes to these things.

I have a bamboo board about that size that cracked in half after a couple of years of use. I always hand washed, and kept it oiled, but once the crack started it spread across the whole board pretty quickly.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Can anyone recommend a book about barbecue? I'd like recipes, but I also want a book that goes into the history of barbecue, the differences between regions, and that sort of thing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Left Ventricle posted:

I'm a lazy oval office who can't cook and I still don't know why I wouldn't make my own sauce with actual spices. I don't know how complex your dad's method is but if you don't feel like making a really involved sauce you can make a simple one with barely any work and it will still be better than jarred sauce or sauce from a mix.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Shnooks posted:

You're the second person to mention that. Honestly, I'm looking for a low carb option.
Soy flour is very bitter, not at all pleasant or subtle enough to ignore. Sadly, as a veteran of low carb stuff, I can tell you that you're just not going to have a lot of tasty low carb baking options. There are options, but they tend to turn out dry, dense, and/or nasty tasting.

If you're just looking to eliminate or reduce carbs, then you're pretty much out of luck. If you're looking for flours that are lower in simple sugars but higher in fiber and protein, you can try brown rice, quinoa, spelt, teff, or amaranth flours. You're not going to get "traditional" baked goods, but if you've just got to have something like a muffin, it's more compatible with low carb or clean eating.

BTW, I saw you asking about almond flour. Have you made your own protein bars? Try this recipe that I made when I was weightlifting:

Protein Bars

2 eggs
1 egg white
3 scoops of whey
1 cup of ground up mixed nut chunks (mostly the consistency of sand, some chunks are good though)--cashews and pistachios are the tastiest, walnuts and almonds have most nutritional benefit
1 tb oil
2 tb brown sugar [optional, but adding the brown sugar will result in a product with a more tender texture; otherwise you get a brick]
Pinch of salt

1. Beat eggs, egg white, oil and brown sugar together.
2. Mix whey, salt, and ground nuts together
3. Mix egg mixture into nuts. Stir until completely moistened.
4. Spread into greased pan
5. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Turn off oven, but leave pan in for 5 more minutes. Take out and cool.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 2, 2011

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

I have a bamboo board about that size that cracked in half after a couple of years of use. I always hand washed, and kept it oiled, but once the crack started it spread across the whole board pretty quickly.

My bamboo cutting board snapped in half after two years of use. Hand washed only, but I probably didn't oil it enough, though.

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

Kharma police, arrest this girl
She stares at me as if she owns the world
And we have crashed her party
I found a local shop that sells an amazing chocolate balsamic vinegar. I was thinking of pairing this with a pasta and red pepper flakes for something basic, yet good. Do any of you know of something else I could do?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Ravingsockmonkey posted:

I found a local shop that sells an amazing chocolate balsamic vinegar. I was thinking of pairing this with a pasta and red pepper flakes for something basic, yet good. Do any of you know of something else I could do?

I imagine that it would be awesome if swirled into a raspberry custard, especially with a little vanilla ice cream.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Otm Shank posted:

I'm attempting to make kimbap but I want to use brown rice. Is it possible to make brown rice sticky enough for this application? Would sushi rice work? Anyone have a good recipe for brown sushi rice??

You may find this link helpful:
http://www.justhungry.com/2007/01/onigiri_omusubi_revisited_an_e.html

I didn't see anything about brown rice in sushi in a quick search, but I've seen pictures of her using brown rice in sushi rolls. On that page is a link to cooking brown rice for riceballs. I'm sure if you search more, she will have posted something about brown rice in sushi.

Squashy Nipples posted:

My bamboo cutting board snapped in half after two years of use. Hand washed only, but I probably didn't oil it enough, though.

I've had my bamboo chopping boards for 3 years, all intact. Hand washed, no oiling at all. I picked them up at Marshalls for $25 for 2 med-large and 1 small. I have a super huge one that I use for cutting roasts on the side with the drain, and rolling dough on the flat. Also, still good.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Thanks for the lasagna suggestions guys. I'm gonna poke around and see if I can find a sauce recipe that doesn't involve mushrooms or olives or huge chunks of tomato. I don't like any of that, and I won't make my family eat something I wouldn't eat myself.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Left Ventricle posted:

Well, I didn't want to have terrible culinary shame for using no-boil noodles and pre-shredded cheese in my lasagna. Love is the secret ingredient and all that. Thanks.

I don't see any reason to shy away from no-boil noodles.

But making a pasta sauce from scratch is not really time consuming, and it will taste so much better than the jarred stuff.

I was a naysayer too, but (thanks to this forum) I've started testing and trying things out, and it really does make a difference.

By all means go ahead with the jarred sauce for a quick weeknight meal (hell, you're still light years beyond the horror of "frozen Stouffer lasagna") but please try the real deal some weekend or something and see how it compares.

I actually made the Cooks Illustrated recipe last weekend and it was really, really good and not all that difficult. The only part I dislike is chopping the basil, so I make my husband do that.

Sauce Ingredients
Tomato-Meat Sauce
1tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion , chopped fine (about 1 cup)
6medium cloves garlic , pressed through garlic press or minced (about 2 tablespoons)
1pound meatloaf mix or 1/3 pound each ground beef chuck, ground veal, and ground pork NOTE: I don't eat veal so I subbed 1/2lb beef and 1/2lb sweet italian sausage, and it was great. I bought the sausage links and just pulled off the casings, so I now have some leftover sausages for later.
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 can (28 ounces) tomato puree
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes , drained
Ricotta, Mozzarella, and Pasta Layers
15 ounces ricotta cheese (whole milk or part skim), 1 3/4 cups)
2 1/2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese (1 1/4 cups) Note: Please try grating your own parm for this, the pre-shredded stuff in the green canister is like flavorless foot dust. I used my mini-chopper to save time and it pulverized the poo poo of of the block of parm in no time. Otherwise you will spend a while grating - but just turn on the TV for a bit and go to it.
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 large egg , lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
12 no-boil lasagna noodles from one 8- or 9-ounce package
16 ounces whole milk mozzarella , shredded (4 cups) Note: Again, I had the food processor do this part, using the shreddy blade attachment.

Instructions:

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Heat oil in large, heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking, about 2 minutes; add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and add ground meats, salt, and pepper; cook, breaking meat into small pieces with wooden spoon, until meat loses its raw color but has not browned, about 4 minutes. Add cream and simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and only fat remains, about 4 minutes. Add pureed and drained diced tomatoes and bring to simmer; reduce heat to low and simmer slowly until flavors are blended, about 3 minutes; set sauce aside. Time saving tip!: (Sauce can be cooled, covered, and refrigerated for up to 2 days; reheat before assembling lasagna.)

3. Mix ricotta, 1 cup Parmesan, basil, egg, salt, and pepper in medium bowl with fork until well-combined and creamy; set aside.

4. Assemble first lasagna layer according to illustrations below. Repeat layering of noodles, ricotta, mozzarella, and sauce two more times. Place 3 remaining noodles on top of sauce, spread remaining sauce over noodles, sprinkle with remaining cup mozzarella, then with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Lightly spray a large sheet of foil with nonstick cooking spray and cover lasagna. Bake 15 minutes, then remove foil. Return lasagna to oven and continue to bake until cheese is spotty brown and sauce is bubbling, about 25 minutes longer. Cool lasagna about 10 minutes; cut into pieces and serve.

Note that this still could totally be a weeknight recipe, but it does take like 1.5 hours so that's pushing it for me after work most of the time.

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

Kharma police, arrest this girl
She stares at me as if she owns the world
And we have crashed her party

Junior G-man posted:

I imagine that it would be awesome if swirled into a raspberry custard, especially with a little vanilla ice cream.

Hmm... that does sound good.

It may also be good with beets (which I'm still wanting to make).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

razz posted:

Should I let the chili cool before freezing it? And should I put the lid on right away or wait until it's frozen? For some reason I've got it in my head that closing jars of warm chili and putting them in the freezer will cause them to bust.

Absolutely let them cool, if you don't you'll probably repeatedly warm and cool food already in your freezer and that can cause food safety issues.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Left Ventricle posted:

Thanks for the lasagna suggestions guys. I'm gonna poke around and see if I can find a sauce recipe that doesn't involve mushrooms or olives or huge chunks of tomato. I don't like any of that, and I won't make my family eat something I wouldn't eat myself.

This is a very closed-minded attitude. Maybe your family is interested in eating food with varied ingredients and textures? Are they forbidden to try or enjoy things that you don't?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
^^^ Hey I just made a lasagna with huge tomato chunks and hella mushrooms and (gasp) grated parmesan cheese and it was awesome! I made an identical one a few months ago and took it to a potluck - a huge double tall pan of lasagna and it was literally the first thing gone off of the table.

HERE IS A TERRIFYINGLY STUPID QUESTION:

Are canned tomatoes cooked? I read online that they are "heat sealed" in the can or something like that, but does that mean they're cooked before they go into the can? If so, how are they cooked?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

The Macaroni posted:

If you're just looking to eliminate or reduce carbs, then you're pretty much out of luck. If you're looking for flours that are lower in simple sugars but higher in fiber and protein, you can try brown rice, quinoa, spelt, teff, or amaranth flours. You're not going to get "traditional" baked goods, but if you've just got to have something like a muffin, it's more compatible with low carb or clean eating.

That's pretty much what I was looking for, thanks. I know it wont be the same but I'm OK with that.

Any suggestions with what I can do with this soy flour now...?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I am planning on making about six dozen deviled eggs for a Thanksgiving party. I'll be using quail eggs, so they'll be bite-sized.
I'd like to make them in more variety than plain-'ol mayo/mustard/paprika deviled eggs.
Any suggestions?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mash yolk with a delicious bird liver pate.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

razz posted:

^^^ Hey I just made a lasagna with huge tomato chunks and hella mushrooms and (gasp) grated parmesan cheese and it was awesome! I made an identical one a few months ago and took it to a potluck - a huge double tall pan of lasagna and it was literally the first thing gone off of the table.

HERE IS A TERRIFYINGLY STUPID QUESTION:

Are canned tomatoes cooked? I read online that they are "heat sealed" in the can or something like that, but does that mean they're cooked before they go into the can? If so, how are they cooked?

They are cooked to some degree, the more processed they are, the more cooked. Whole canned are the least processed/cooked of all of them

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Casu Marzu posted:

Mash yolk with a delicious bird liver pate.

:stare:

Holy poo poo I love you.

Jay Carney fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

A short while back I made flour tortilla's using the recipe in Joy of Cooking, using Whole wheat flour instead. They turned out okay but nothing too great. So I'm looking for another flour tortilla recipe since I plan to make some more and would like them to turn out better. Any places I can look for good, whole wheat one?