Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
catpowerd
Jan 9, 2008

swinging your guitar around
Cause they wanted to hear that meow
god drat it why did my internet have to get shaped yesterday!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Polo-Rican posted:

Yeah, this guy is right, this was the first trailer. But then again, gta4 was a huge jump visually from gta3 so this kind of trailer made sense. GTA5 can't have the same visual jump since it's still running on 360 and ps3, so I don't think the trailer will be purely "look at the city!"

If it IS San AN, I wouldn't mind a pure scenery jump trailer, and with a closing shot of our character. Then again, I have no idea what to expect. I just want my mind blown.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

SuperAntiGravity posted:

So traditionally, how long between these trailer premieres and the actual release of the game?

I think that we'll see this game in stores between April of and October 2012.

Rockstar, when it comes to marketing GTA games, tend to err on a tight adverting/pr ship. Vice City was revealed in July 2002, came out October 2002. San Andreas was revealed in May of 2004, and released October 2004. GTAIV was announced in 2007, and was supposed to have a 7 month marketing campaign until release but was delayed, but this still put it just a year shy of its initial reveal.

Whenever Rockstar unveils a new GTA game, it's coming soon and they make a huge deal out of it because they have to get their PR machines a turnin'.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Even with the same gen engine as 4 if the environment is huge and varied they will get away with a scenic trailer. I really can't imagine story or characters being featured that much.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Trapjaw posted:

I hope this GTA also features a swingset that can launch cars into the sky.
Yeah, this needs to be a regular feature in every Rockstar game. I was so disappointed I couldn't catapult my horse into the stratosphere in Red Dead Redemption.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Himuro posted:

I think that we'll see this game in stores between April of and October 2012.

Rockstar, when it comes to marketing GTA games, tend to err on a tight adverting/pr ship. Vice City was revealed in July 2002, came out October 2002. San Andreas was revealed in May of 2004, and released October 2004. GTAIV was announced in 2007, and was supposed to have a 7 month marketing campaign until release but was delayed, but this still put it just a year shy of its initial reveal.

Whenever Rockstar unveils a new GTA game, it's coming soon and they make a huge deal out of it because they have to get their PR machines a turnin'.

They seriously knew how to turn a few months of waiting into feeling like a year plus long wait. San Andreas was the worst up until a few weeks before launch, it made the wait so unbearable.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Looking back, SA really was the peak. I hope 5 is just something else! Blow all the rest out of the water. I reccon RDR was a testbed for the environments, you think?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

The Dave posted:

I thought this was GTA4's first trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M80K51DosFo
Ive always lumped this into the teaser category but I could be wrong.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
I'd be extremely surprised if it wasn't a trailer that says "October 2012".

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Cage posted:

That's a hell of a lot better than other game teasers.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Cage posted:

I have the feeling you're gonna be lumping today's trailer into the teaser category too.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I'd love to see the 'forum fallout' from a trailer which was totally ambiguous. E.g in the future, or something ridiculous like GTA Prague.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, this needs to be a regular feature in every Rockstar game. I was so disappointed I couldn't catapult my horse into the stratosphere in Red Dead Redemption.

There used to be a launch glitch you could do by crouching by a hitching post at Bonnie's ranch but I think it got patched out.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Cage posted:

I would say anything that shows game content = trailer.

Now if it was just black bg and text with some music saying "Coming 2012" then I wouls say teaser.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

simosimo posted:

I'd love to see the 'forum fallout' from a trailer which was totally ambiguous. E.g in the future, or something ridiculous like GTA Prague.

A GTA set in one of Europe's most sightly city with a somewhat significant criminal underground? Doesn't sound all that ridiculous to me. Tbh I sort of wanna play that now.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

The Dave posted:

I thought this was GTA4's first trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M80K51DosFo

This brings back memories of the ridiculous conclusions people came up with when seeing this:

Hijacking Ferries and Cargo ships: Confirmed.
Rollercoasters: Confirmed.

etc.

Oh GTA hype, will we ever get sick of you?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

pass 7 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ByBpD6o4rE

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice
Last chance to take a pee break.

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008
7 minutes away. This better not be a goddamn troll Rockstar. Show some good poo poo this time.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I hope that this time, Rockstar isn't so into hyping this game up that they refuse to show anyone but the press what the gently caress the game is like until it hits shelves. They didn't really post ANY raw gaemplay footage at all for GTAIV.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I can't wait until none of us are able to watch the trailer until this afternoon due to server crashes.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

KFCB posted:

I can't wait until none of us are able to watch the trailer until this afternoon due to server crashes.

We'll have it up on youtube within minutes. Different world now.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Colon Parenthesis posted:

pass 7 mins

One of the comments in that video reminded me GTAV needs to bring back "GOURANGA" for running down the Hare Krishna. With Euphoria physics that would be hilarious.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Colon Parenthesis posted:

pass 7 mins

gently caress that, Rise FM all the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj9uHk5WLDw

EDIT: STAYIN UP FOREVA. WITH RISE.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KFCB posted:

Pretty much.

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice

Spalec posted:

One of the comments in that video reminded me GTAV needs to bring back "GOURANGA" for running down the Hare Krishna. With Euphoria physics that would be hilarious.

And the game needs to start with And remember, respect is everything!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

KFCB posted:

But some of us might make it and get to see it, and then relay that information back.

It's the digital equivalent to salmon swimming up a waterfall.

Trapjaw
Jan 30, 2005

Sup, Haddonfield?
GTA V coming exclusively to Facebook.

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Rockstar's servers melted when the first GTA IV trailer hit. Gonna be pissed if they don't hold this time.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Trapjaw posted:

GTA V coming exclusively to Facebook.

I heard it was a Kinect title. :v:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
News just in. GTA5 to be a Wii exclusive!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They don't even have a <720 option to try and get more of it quickly do they?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

3DS exclusive! Only compatible with the circle pad addon! (Sold separately)

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
One. More. Minute. :)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Knightmare posted:

This brings back memories of the ridiculous conclusions people came up with when seeing this:

Hijacking Ferries and Cargo ships: Confirmed.
Rollercoasters: Confirmed.

etc.

Oh GTA hype, will we ever get sick of you?
I can only see 12 types of cars in this trailer! GTAIV only has 12 types of cars: confirmed!

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Policenaut posted:

But some of us might make it and get to see it, and then relay that information back.

We'll all get there... some day...

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
It's up go watch it.

Edit - it looks like they're gonna go for another attempt at pseudo-seriousness like in GTA4.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Policenaut posted:

How many fakeposts will we get of "OMG THE MAIN CHARACTER IS A GIRL AND THE SETTING IS MILTON KEYNES??!?!?"

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008
Alright, please don't freeze halfway through the poo poo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This is so going to be ten seconds of black screen with "PROPER TRAILER IN A WEEK" on it.

• Locked thread