Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

xenilk posted:

Do you focus + recompose? Once you get the hang of it it's fairly quick :) Next time just have most of the shots of her looking at you or doing one of the 6 poses that's in the document in the original post (which is very informative). Can't wait to see more pictures :)

I chose an AF point using single-shot AF which was closest to the eyes once I'd composed, then banged away (generally).

Thanks for all the critique and feedback, I really appreciate it. I may ask her to do another session and get some better shots next month sometime.

PS, I'm no stranger to the dorkroom, but my flickr is new because I all but destroyed the old one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sandblaster
Dec 4, 2010

oh god how did this get here im not good with computer
Just had a photoshoot with a friend doing this girl's senior portraits and the weather couldn't have been any worse. We had to take regular breaks due to rain starting and stopping (drat, Seattle.)

DSC_0095 by krahjerdi, on Flickr

DSC_0288 by krahjerdi, on Flickr

The out-of-focus hand being cut off in the first one kills me, but I like the photo enough to live with it. I tried adding a slight vignette to take attention off of that but it just made it look even more weird. The gray area in the bottom right was also filled with distracting flowers, I copied some of the wall from the left side of the photo over to cover it up. You can see what the weather was like in the second one, we were on the roof-top of a 6 story building and the clouds were very very gray.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Tokyo Sandblaster posted:

Just had a photoshoot with a friend doing this girl's senior portraits and the weather couldn't have been any worse. We had to take regular breaks due to rain starting and stopping (drat, Seattle.)

The out-of-focus hand being cut off in the first one kills me, but I like the photo enough to live with it. I tried adding a slight vignette to take attention off of that but it just made it look even more weird. The gray area in the bottom right was also filled with distracting flowers, I copied some of the wall from the left side of the photo over to cover it up. You can see what the weather was like in the second one, we were on the roof-top of a 6 story building and the clouds were very very gray.

I think one of the main goals of senior portraits are to deliver the best images the client has ever received of themselves and you did so in this case. You might just want to try cropping out the triangle of hand in the first one. you can preserve the aspect ratio pretty easily too as you can safely lose a few inches of the bottom and left of the picture

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Overcast days are actually great for portraiture, you just have to mind the actual weather, and avoid boring skies if that's what happens where you live (it was horrible in the Netherlands, not quite so bad in Sweden).

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

I like the vibe of the pictures, I'll echo Paragon8's comment and say you did a great job on the portrait :) I would try cropping the part of the hand to make it less apparent (I didn't notice it much at first since it blends with her clothes) but it's no big deal. Great processing.

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

Been working on getting cooler catch lights for my headshots. Done with a set of kenos in the front and a strobe to light the back. I should have pointed the strobe a little more up as you start to see the grey-white gradient :(

So, why do casting directors not like landscape headshots again?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

sw1gger posted:

Been working on getting cooler catch lights for my headshots. Done with a set of kenos in the front and a strobe to light the back. I should have pointed the strobe a little more up as you start to see the grey-white gradient :(

Because they don't fit in portfolio books as nicely! portrait orientation is good for portraits because the orientation is efficient and maximises space.

I feel like your light is a bit too flat to be honest.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I like it, and the gradient too. Looks very nice and clean.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
Crossposting from SAD. She was really nervous about posing for photos and I was trying to get her to relax, not sure how good a job I did. But I think it was more because of her mom being there than because she was uncomfortable in front of the camera because afterward she said that it was awesome to meet me, that I was cool as hell, and can we try it again sometime?

Dezzi 1 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Dezzi 4 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Dezzi 7 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Dezzi 10 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Dezzi 14 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

We posed her against this tree and she said it was too bad that the letters carved in the heart weren't her and her boyfriend's initials. I told her I could possibly fix it in photoshop. Is it super obviously fake?

Dezzi 22 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I like dezzi 4 a lot, nice pose and composition. The light across her eyes is super nice.

Just be careful about too much clutter - dezzi 7 suffers a bit, you can slap on a bit of blur though and that should make her more prominent

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

I like dezzi 4 a lot, nice pose and composition. The light across her eyes is super nice.

Just be careful about too much clutter - dezzi 7 suffers a bit, you can slap on a bit of blur though and that should make her more prominent

Thanks. I actually felt like it was cluttered too so I zoomed in and that became Dezzi 8 which is in my photostream. This was my first real shoot that involved people so I was nervous but I tried to be assertive and relaxed and confident in the shoot and I think our personalities worked pretty well once we got comfortable.

edit: I wasn't happy with Dezzi 8 either though, so I neglected to include either of them with the CD that I made for her family.

Drewski fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 1, 2011

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Drewski posted:

Thanks. I actually felt like it was cluttered too so I zoomed in and that became Dezzi 8 which is in my photostream. This was my first real shoot that involved people so I was nervous but I tried to be assertive and relaxed and confident in the shoot and I think our personalities worked pretty well once we got comfortable.

Yeah, it can be daunting shooting someone for the first time.

I always like to use "so you're okay working with scorpions?" as an ice breaker. It tends to go down well.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

Yeah, it can be daunting shooting someone for the first time.

I always like to use "so you're okay working with scorpions?" as an ice breaker. It tends to go down well.

drat, I am totally using that from now on!

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Intentional lens flare is hard to pull off. Thought i'd just have a go at it.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Cyberbob posted:

Intentional lens flare is hard to pull off. Thought i'd just have a go at it.

I think this looks pretty good, but I'd like to see more rimlight effect on the model. We're only getting a touch of hightlight right now despite the blast of light behind her. Seems like if you dialed that strobe up a stop you'd get the same flare, but with more effective rimlighting. Just my thought.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

McMadCow posted:

I think this looks pretty good, but I'd like to see more rimlight effect on the model. We're only getting a touch of hightlight right now despite the blast of light behind her. Seems like if you dialed that strobe up a stop you'd get the same flare, but with more effective rimlighting. Just my thought.

Yea, I did that later on in the session, but the face/pose wasn't as strong unfortunately, so this won out.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I've been asking strangers for portraits while walking around lately.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

sw1gger posted:

How did you have this set up? I was trying to deconstruct the scene by the reflection in her eyes but its only getting me so far. It looks to me like soft boxes on both sides of her face, and then a strobe on the background?

I really love this photo and the lighting, everything about it is very clean and direct.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Verman posted:

How did you have this set up? I was trying to deconstruct the scene by the reflection in her eyes but its only getting me so far. It looks to me like soft boxes on both sides of her face, and then a strobe on the background?

I really love this photo and the lighting, everything about it is very clean and direct.

He said kenos which are photographic grade fluro lights for the front two but they look pretty much the same as a softbox. Really would love a set of them actually.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

XTimmy posted:

He said kenos which are photographic grade fluro lights for the front two but they look pretty much the same as a softbox. Really would love a set of them actually.

Wow, no idea how I missed that, thanks!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Had a fairly impromptu shoot in Asheville during Moogfest. She hates her face in this picture, but I like it. What do you guys think?

Asheville-1 by zachary.spradlin, on Flickr

We shot a bunch more, but I'm still going through them.

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast
I'm setting up a first real photoshoot with an inexperienced friend that's Doctor Who themed, right now I'm gathering a few props but the most difficult part I can see will be directing this thing and getting the lighting and the like just right for her. I'm using a relatively inexpensive DSLR and the idea is I want to go for the same feel that stills of the show would have. I know a little bit about composition from having drawn for a while and photoshopped some, but directing someone to do something is hard.

Also I kind of want to know what kind of light I should use? Early morning? Late in the day? I want to try and keep this out doors if I can. Any tips for starting out (and I am looking over the guide from post one)

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

Verman posted:

Thanks for the kind words - to give you more info:

2 kenos about 2feet away (to her left and right) from the subject each pointing somewhat inwards and a strobe directly behind her pretty much right up against the backdrop. I'd say there was about 4-5 feet separating her from the strobe behind her.

I don't recall off the top of my head what settings I was shooting at, but I believe it was around 1/200, F2.8, ISO100.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I posted this in Snapshot a day and it went totally ignored. I'm curious, is there something wrong with the picture? I suppose it could be boring to most people. Or is it the post work?

Looking for pointers to make these better if any.

Karolanne by Maxime Theriault, on Flickr

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I like the post work for street fashion type shots (you'll see similar stuff in all my work), but for a studio shot I don't think it works so well. I would like to see what it looks like without any funky post work, and maybe just a hint of split-toning.

e; grammar.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 2, 2011

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

IsaacNewton posted:

I posted this in Snapshot a day and it went totally ignored. I'm curious, is there something wrong with the picture? I suppose it could be boring to most people. Or is it the post work?

Looking for pointers to make these better if any.

Karolanne by Maxime Theriault, on Flickr

Critique goes in the PAD thread :mad:

(I'm just a little sad it gets no traffic)

e: for content's sake, I like the pose, and the light, the post-processing can maybe be toned down just a bit, and I strongly dislike her makeup - it's neither here nor there.

Cockwhore fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 2, 2011

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I might have gone overboard with the split toning, looking back at it, I agree. Here's 'no split-toning' version:

Karolanne (Sans Split-tone) by Maxime Theriault, on Flickr

Cockwhore posted:

Critique goes in the PAD thread :mad:

(I'm just a little sad it gets no traffic)

e: for content's sake, I like the pose, and the light, the post-processing can maybe be toned down just a bit, and I strongly dislike her makeup - it's neither here nor there.

PAD is super intimidating, the pictures posted there are waay above my league.

Thanks! So at least I got what I had the control over right (sorta! The background could have used more light).

The make up was her making. :( It's sort of her style even though she'd look a thousand times better without it. On that note: how do you tell a teen that her makeup is awful without insulting her? I have another shot planned with her (she keep bugging me about doing another one, good thing right!) so I'd love to say something like "oh and please keep the make up to a minimum! like lip gloss, whatever goes on the eye lashes and thats it" man I'd hate it if she took it the wrong way.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I split tone all my stuff these days so I'm biased in saying I like it but I'm not a huge fan of really bland seamless background stuff.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it not getting any comments in SAD/PAD - fashiony stuff tends not to get too much of a response there.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

IsaacNewton posted:

The make up was her making. :( It's sort of her style even though she'd look a thousand times better without it. On that note: how do you tell a teen that her makeup is awful without insulting her? I have another shot planned with her (she keep bugging me about doing another one, good thing right!) so I'd love to say something like "oh and please keep the make up to a minimum! like lip gloss, whatever goes on the eye lashes and thats it" man I'd hate it if she took it the wrong way.

What if you approach it by saying you want to do a really minimalist type picture? Minimalise makeup/have hair not too done up to really focus on her face and her natural beauty? I dunno, I've never had to say that to someone, but if someone wanted to approach me about that, that's how I think I'd take it the best. Rather than making her feel like she's wearing too much makeup, make it about how naturally pretty she is?

Anyway, I like both of them...first one is definitely more processed, but I like it. I might tone it down just a tad because it's a bit distracting, but I don't think it's awful by any means. The one without any just looks a tad boring to me.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Reichstag posted:

He's got an interesting face, but I don't think the contrast of this film works well with these images. The sky is super bright with little detail, the shadows are ultra dark and muddy, but then his face isn't all that contrasty or clear. He's got good face structure, but you can barely make it out.

Technical aspect aside, while it's interesting to see him in such a different distance and position in the 3rd, and the bright orange hoody is what makes it work, there really isn't anything engaging in the first 2, he's just kind of standing there. If he was beautiful and well lit, I could stare at his beauty and make that the object of the photo, but when the lighting is middling, no expression, no story, just a stiff stance, there isn't enough interest to make me spend any time with it.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I agree, the third is the only one I really like of the three (and not as a portrait). It's been informative trying to inform myself about the person and pose them in a few second, in that I appreciate working with people I have the time to actually talk with much more.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Well I like that you're asking random strangers to pose. That's something I've never had the guts to do.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Reichstag posted:

You should have only shown the 3rd picture and left that caption. It would have been awesome and confusing.

"Can I take your picture?"
"Sure."
"Awesome, could you also stand about 100 yards that away?"

Lamb of Gun
Apr 2, 2009

On the goodship lolli-gag, LSD and a bloody pile of rags, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, BUT I AM
Does it look like he's grabbing her breast in this shot or am I crazy? I know he wasn't when I posed them but I really feel like that's what it looks like. Maybe I'm crazy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Lamb of Gun posted:

Does it look like he's grabbing her breast in this shot or am I crazy? I know he wasn't when I posed them but I really feel like that's what it looks like. Maybe I'm crazy.

A little bit yeah...but the pose itself looks kind of aggressive. I know it probably wasn't in real life, but it looks that way to me. Also the positioning of the arms and hands is kind of all over the place and it's distracting me from their faces, which is what I think the shot should be about.

Lamb of Gun
Apr 2, 2009

On the goodship lolli-gag, LSD and a bloody pile of rags, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, BUT I AM

CarrotFlowers posted:

A little bit yeah...but the pose itself looks kind of aggressive. I know it probably wasn't in real life, but it looks that way to me. Also the positioning of the arms and hands is kind of all over the place and it's distracting me from their faces, which is what I think the shot should be about.

I was getting that feeling myself. I asked them afterwards after taking a quick look if it felt unnatural and they said no it didn't. I think I might scrap it.

edit: I'm rude. Thanks!

Lamb of Gun fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 4, 2011

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Lamb of Gun posted:

I was getting that feeling myself. I asked them afterwards after taking a quick look if it felt unnatural and they said no it didn't. I think I might scrap it.

edit: I'm rude. Thanks!

I get that a lot too. Sometimes if I'm not actively posing people, and just tell them to do something natural, it actually looks way awkward. One person said my mom looked like she had just finished a breakdancing move, and other times people will just naturally put too much pressure on their hands/face if they're leaning on them or something. I think a lot of the "natural" poses you see are ones that are actually posed a bit.

I don't think it's a terrible shot - if they like it and you like it, some post processing could make it quite nice.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I've never shot a model before.

A friend of mine is an experienced model.

What should I expect when our powers combine?

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
You've probably seen these in SAD so they're kind of double posts, but I like to think of them as portraits even though they were impromptu and taken on the street. This kid was cool because he is also a photographer and really wanted me to get the shots. The first one he blinked so I took another and he could sense I wasn't totally satisfied with it, so he encouraged me to take one last shot, which was this one. It's a bit blurry because I was using slow film and had to use 1/30 and the mirror slap on the Hasselblad is noticeable at those speeds (should have locked up the mirror). But anyway, he was cool and I think this worked out well. I think he also makes for a good model because he was easy to work with and his expression was good.

This chick was cool because she really posed well for me in the second shot. She's an actress (fairly prominent one) and I didn't even know it at the time. So it was cool of her to be cooperative.

The first shot was on the left after I said "hey, do you mind if I took your photo?" She kind of turned and smiled a bit but I wasn't totally happy with it. So I asked her to step out more into the middle of the park and put the bag down, and she struck a professional pose and I think the shot really worked.

I'm not thrilled with the background elements, like the statue on the left, the tree on the right and the man in the white shirt walking. But she carries the strength of the picture so I think, overall, it works. I am now at a point, having done lots of street shots (many not even posted), that I really want to work with real models and real stylists and make photographs that I think are interesting, but under my full control. I want to do a lot with poses and so now that's where my focus is going to be I think (or maybe later in the spring/early summer next year). I just restructured my modelmayhem profile last night (it's still not great, but it's a huge improvement from what it was), and so I guess I'm going to jump into that whole thing next. I am both terrified and excited at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Those are really good man, I like them a lot.