Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I really like the look of the slums, really loving grimy and depressing and in such stark contrast to the bright, cheerful world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

a bunch of ants posted:

For people arguing about including LV and SF in it I kinda hope they don't, my biggest problem with San Andreas was they spread themselves too thin and there was loads of bland forests/deserts for every bad rear end Mt. Chilliad and Vinewood sign area. Also they would have definitely included them in the trailer. I hope they focus solely on Los Santos with decent amounts of hills/desert surrounding it. Also the narrator said kids so maybe they will show up solely in cutscenes, and obviously they aren't gonna be included in gameplay because shooting children is wrong on a hole different level than anything in GTA.

yeah the wilderness areas were the absolute best part of SA. I barely even went in the cities unless I was doing a mission.

a bunch of ants
Jan 21, 2009

Wanna be professional criminals with me?

Technowrite posted:

Apparently some major poo poo got leaked on 4Chan or one of the Chans recently. I won't post the image here, but I will link it in case you're interested:

http://i.imgur.com/LjY0K.png

I would take anything said here with a whole drat mountain of salt, 4chan has never been a reliable source on anything.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.

a bunch of ants posted:

I would take anything said here with a whole drat mountain of salt, 4chan has never been a reliable source on anything.

That's absolutely true. But some of this stuff sounds likely.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Technowrite posted:

Apparently some major poo poo got leaked on 4Chan or one of the Chans recently. I won't post the image here, but I will link it in case you're interested:

This is fake. (trust me)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Technowrite posted:

Not that I'll believe anything like this until confirmed but even so there's a potentially huge spoiler in there. Just in case anyone actually thinks this is real.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a bunch of ants posted:

Yeah, gotta agree with this. Anyone who reads /v/ or really any other section of 4Chan knows that people love to make predictions that they have no basis for and watch other users squirm and obsess over rather or not the information is true.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The trailer looked very nice and I liked the windmills, but it doesn't necessarily get me super pumped about the game itself since nothing really jumped out at me.

I'll wind up buying it and enjoying the open world stuff as much as I always do, but the "reluctant guy getting pulled back into crime" made me think about my biggest gripe with these games, which is the Grand Canyon-sized chasm between your actions and the character's moral dilemmas in the cutscenes.

I think that the next major step forward for the GTA series would be to track the player's actions and adjust the story's presentation. I'm not saying this would be easy, but the game would flow much better if your character's reluctance or eagerness reflected your actions, and if major events that happen while goofing around were referenced by other characters.

Instead of a stock story, make a framework within which your interactions vary. It doesn't have to be as deep as Alpha Protocol or The Witcher 2, or something as blatant as a good/bad meter, just enough to bridge the disparate halves of the game.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Technowrite posted:

The guy in the trailer sure as hell didn't look (or sound) Hispanic so it looks like that list has fallen at the first hurdle

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
This is going to be reaching a little bit, but does anyone else thing the music made for the trailer might be reminiscent of something heard in Vice City? It sounds a bit 80's-esque to me. Maybe Rockstar intended it to be part of any subtlety they put in the trailer.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Ahhhhhhh, good times. I hope they keep the philosophy of the jump from 3 to SA. Technical stuff gets some polish, expand the area and give everyone way more poo poo to do.

Edit: That mountain shot looks absolutely unreal.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

The trailer looked very nice and I liked the windmills, but it doesn't necessarily get me super pumped about the game itself since nothing really jumped out at me.

I'll wind up buying it and enjoying the open world stuff as much as I always do, but the "reluctant guy getting pulled back into crime" made me think about my biggest gripe with these games, which is the Grand Canyon-sized chasm between your actions and the character's moral dilemmas in the cutscenes.

I think that the next major step forward for the GTA series would be to track the player's actions and adjust the story's presentation. I'm not saying this would be easy, but the game would flow much better if your character's reluctance or eagerness reflected your actions, and if major events that happen while goofing around were referenced by other characters.

Instead of a stock story, make a framework within which your interactions vary. It doesn't have to be as deep as Alpha Protocol or The Witcher 2, or something as blatant as a good/bad meter, just enough to bridge the disparate halves of the game.

The easier way to solve this problem is do what Vice city did and make your character fit what your actions will be.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

my biggest gripe with these games, which is the Grand Canyon-sized chasm between your actions and the character's moral dilemmas in the cutscenes.
"I gotta clear my name for killing these cops!"

*kills a bunch of cops in the process*

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I mean, a moral system made sense in something like Red Dead Redemption, since there was a ton of fun stuff to do being good. But in GTA, everyone's going to be doing the same sort of stuff, so there's no reason to build a story for a good guy.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Popcorn posted:

This is fake. (trust me)
Do you work at R* or something?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ahhhhhhh, good times. I hope they keep the philosophy of the jump from 3 to SA. Technical stuff gets some polish, expand the area and give everyone way more poo poo to do.

Edit: That mountain shot looks absolutely unreal.

Pretty much. 4 would of been good if it kept everything 'gta'. but removing activities and the satire was lovely tbh. IV's tech, a bigger map, and fun things to do...and an American protagonist. Nice!

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Songbearer posted:

I really like the look of the slums, really loving grimy and depressing and in such stark contrast to the bright, cheerful world.

Occupy Los Santos.

The game looks gorgeous and partying it up in LA definitely seems like a lot more fun than being depressed in NYC.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

Azruelli posted:

This is going to be reaching a little bit, but does anyone else thing the music made for the trailer might be reminiscent of something heard in Vice City? It sounds a bit 80's-esque to me. Maybe Rockstar intended it to be part of any subtlety they put in the trailer.

1968 dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8YHplnn60U

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Totally sold already. This is pretty much just what I've wanted since the first time I played IV. If somehow there are all 3 major SA cities, even better, but this version of LS looks really densely packed with stuff. Hoping for at least a couple little suburban towns or small country towns outside of the city borders.

Like someone else said, ain't no hype like new GTA trailer hype. :swoon:

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Orgophlax posted:

Do you work at R* or something?

Does he need to? That "leak" lists the protagonist as Hispanic, and has absolutely 0 evidence backing it up. His trailer runtime is wrong too. The rest of it is just a list of all the things everybody was clamoring for, which anyone could've put together.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Degskallen posted:

The physics engine was the best thing about 4.

I liked everything about the physics engine except for how people moved.

Cool trailer, can't wait.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.

Popcorn posted:

This is fake. (trust me)

Fair enough. But you know there's nothing like completely baseless and idle speculation when it comes to video games.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This game is looking amazing. I'm guessing the mountains are either for blocking you from leaving the city (which they can't really do that in a realistic world like this, there needs to be real barriers) or for blocking the other cities from view to help with rendering.

Also, whoever said they should add more dumb poo poo to the game, go back to Saints Row. I don't feel like playing another GTA with a bunch of dumb 69 jokes every five seconds. GTAIV was good, they just need to build on that. I'd like more mature humor now that I'm not 13 anymore.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Orgophlax posted:

My first thought was that this was Donald Love, millionaire, cannibal and suddenly vanished by the end of GTA3. But then again I have a huge boner for Chatterbox, and his dulcet "This is a Love media station. Enjoy" has been burned into my eardrum.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Mandrel posted:

Does he need to? That "leak" lists the protagonist as Hispanic, and has absolutely 0 evidence backing it up. His trailer runtime is wrong too. The rest of it is just a list of all the things everybody was clamoring for, which anyone could've put together.

he admitted later that there are multiple playable characters

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Am I terribly boring for hoping you can play golf in GTAV -- like a nice little cross between Hot Shot's controls with EA Tiger Woods graphics?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Cojawfee posted:

Also, whoever said they should add more dumb poo poo to the game, go back to Saints Row. I don't feel like playing another GTA with a bunch of dumb 69 jokes every five seconds. GTAIV was good, they just need to build on that. I'd like more mature humor now that I'm not 13 anymore.

Already spotted in trailer:

Speedophile jet ski
'STD' high-rise construction company
Bugstars Pest Control - Putting the 'FU' in Fumigate

Most of that I can handle, but I agree. Leave the furry suits and dildo weapons in SR.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
I'm super excited, but I realized one thing as I watched the trailer. When I saw the surfboard and lifeguard shack silhouetted in the sunset and heard Small Faces playing, I felt more than little sad it's not set in the late sixties (1969 or so).

In my mind, given that time and that era, you could do something really evocative of a specific mood and setting - kind of an end of an era thing, the utopian dreams of the 60's collapsing, or something. You could take missions from a burnout (voiced by Tommy Chong, of course), procure drugs for a psychedelic rock band, or spy on and 'liquidate' subversives for a guy in a suit. Also, you could just run over to the military base, and hijack one of those Hueys with the side-mounted rocket pods and totally wreck poo poo on the highway.

It's a win-win.

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 2, 2011

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

substitute posted:

Am I terribly boring for hoping you can play golf in GTAV -- like a nice little cross between Hot Shot's controls with EA Tiger Woods graphics?

No, I'm personally hoping Rockstar jampacks a shitload of optional content in this game to dick around with. Some of their contemporaries (i.e. Saints Row, Yakuza) do that stuff in spades.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Police dogs and bears would be sweet but I'll probably fail every mission from trying not to run over stray dogs/cats while driving down the road.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Cojawfee posted:

I like both series a lot, but I think the "dumb poo poo" people want more of is fantastical gameplay. Rockstar still puts an incredible amount of juvenile pee pee poo poo humor in the environment and pedestrian dialog, even if Saints Row is more overt about it.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
drat, I'm looking forward to this. GTA has not let me down yet. :3: Like with the first GTA IV trailer I ended up watching this one multiple times already.

Like I said in the Steam thread though, I hate that they're going with that sort of protagonist again.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

substitute posted:

I thought the same thing the moment I saw the clip of the characters golfing. Hopefully it's a little side game sort of like the the activities in GTA4.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
drat back in Los Santos. Nice. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but those who said CJ or Tommmy. Rockstar said they are dead, they aren't coming back at all. The chapters of GTA 3 is closed. They moved on.

I will admit I first thought Vice City with the beachshot. Rockstar still hasn't lost it's touch, that was a pretty good trailer.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
This map be exactly like GTA: Los Santos, it may include LA, Vegas and San Francisco.

The wind farms look like the ones that are just north east of SF, and some shots of the road to LV looked similar.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Give me a large, sprawling landscape and a million side activities. It doesn't have to be over-the-top silly, but I'd like more things to do besides playing darts with my cousin or going bowling. What a snoozefest.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

More likely the wind farms near San Francisco.
Eh, it could be either but at least from my driving you get a lot closer to something like that shot from the 10 freeway heading to Palm Springs than you do from the wind farms north of San Jose (or wherever they exactly are). Also, a meticulous examination of the scrub brush clearly indicates them to be of a southern varietal.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Cojawfee posted:

Go play darts with your cousin then. Jesus.

The least I want to see coming back to GTA are those silly stunt ramps and opportunities all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

maxnmona posted:

The easier way to solve this problem is do what Vice city did and make your character fit what your actions will be.

I don't want every freeroaming game to be full of psychopathic Tommy Vercetti knockoffs.

• Locked thread