Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
PC release on launch. That's all I needed to read, hoping it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
Please please please suck less than GTA4. I had to forcefully push myself to finish the game and get my $60 dollars worth. At least the graphics look nice in the trailer.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Orgophlax posted:

Yes he was.

Jesus Christ. Why did I think it was just a few years?

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

VanV posted:

He was in San Andreas in 1992 remember. And around then I'd say he was in his early twenties. So now, yeah, early 40's. Not that I buy into the theory that he's the main character in V, I'm just saying.

I know, it's just that the guy in the trailer seems more late-40s or early 50s to me :)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Orgophlax posted:

When the gently caress was this ever mentioned? And why would he go back to the Forellis if they ambushed him to begin with?

EDIT: Just read the plot on Wikipedia and you're right, sort of. Tommy didn't know he was set up by The Forellis until Sonny told him at the end. So Tommy couldn't be getting revenge for something he didn't know.

Also, I have no idea how I loving missed that when I played through. That was a good number of years ago now though.

See? Tommy was justified in taking over Vice City to get back at the Forrellis! Revenge is a dish best served with cocaine and lead. And once he's told it was a setup it is definitely revenge.

Himuro posted:

Probably confusing it with CJ leaving San Andreas for a few years prior to SA.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Himuro posted:

You are probably thinking of CJ. He left Los Santos and stayed in Liberty City for 5 years.

You know, I"m surprise we never got an SA story like Liberty City Stories.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Longinus00 posted:

Please please please suck less than GTA4. I had to forcefully push myself to finish the game and get my $60 dollars worth. At least the graphics look nice in the trailer.

Ug. Just a reminder, an utterly fantastic game with 2 or 3 slightly annoying elements doesn't "suck."

I know critical reviews aren't everything, but seriously now—literally the highest rated game of all time:
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/all?view=condensed&sort=desc

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I rewatched the trailer and I don't think the tone is going to be "I want to turn straight" at all.
I think it is more about the character wanting to believe he really wants to better his life, realizing it won't happen and just going with it.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Shindragon posted:

You are probably thinking of CJ. He left Los Santos and stayed in Liberty City for 5 years.

You know, I"m surprise we never got an SA story like Liberty City Stories.

Well, San Andreas was probably impossible to replicate on the psp at the time.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
I love how these things always get analysed down to the last pixel. According to one thing I just read, the launch dates is the 24th of May, because....

And the song - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogdens%27_Nut_Gone_Flake - was released 24th of May.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Polo-Rican posted:

Ug. Just a reminder, an utterly fantastic game with 2 or 3 slightly annoying elements doesn't "suck."

I know critical reviews aren't everything, but seriously now—literally the highest rated game of all time:
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/all?view=condensed&sort=desc

A mere lack of negative elements doesn't make something great. GTA IV was extremely polished, and I found few things to specifically dislike about it, but that didn't change how disappointed I felt after finishing it.

In the end, it just felt kind of mediocre and bland.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Brainwrong posted:

I love how these things always get analysed down to the last pixel. According to one thing I just read, the launch dates is the 24th of May, because....

And the song - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogdens%27_Nut_Gone_Flake - was released 24th of May.
:stare:

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
Wouldn't Tommy be like 60 by now? The guy in the trailer looks to be in his forties at most. It could possibly be Claude, he could've been 18 or 19 during SA, but I don't really see the point. Claude was really more of an avatar than a character in his own right.

I noticed the trailer isn't depressing or ominous like debut trailer for GTA IV.

VanV
May 13, 2004

Not this year.
I know we're all excited, but I just can't believe that it would be Tommy, Claude, CJ, any of those guys starring in V. Rockstar doesn't recycle protagonists.

Edit: Yes, I know, Max Payne, but that's obviously different. :colbert:

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Nevermind this.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Brainwrong posted:

I think that's just them reusing the same texture for numbers on the curb or possibly filming multiple parts of the trailer in the same area. The latter fact about the song is probably coincidence, albeit an amazing one. 5/24 just seems WAYYY too soon.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Not trying to start ~conspiracies~ and sorry if this has been posted, but, uh

Dirt road, liquor store, hookers, card signs, palm trees, blazing sun, and a mountain.

As a Las Vegas resident, I hope to god that this is some desert road coming into the Las Vegas valley.

And that these windmills are the ones you see around California (hopefully during the drive from LA to NoCal (SF))

Dear god I'm excited.

e: Also hopefully we get to play as Vercetti again, considering the guy is going on about stopping his life of crime and moving out to LA, and some old white dude who looks Italian makes an appearance 3 times in the trailer.

VanV
May 13, 2004

Not this year.
I am excited that it SEEMS like this could come out earlier than a year from now. This trailer has way more to it than the first one for IV did.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

VanV posted:

I am excited that it SEEMS like this could come out earlier than a year from now. This trailer has way more to it than the first one for IV did.

Everyone is speculating that it's May 24th due to the postal truck lol.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Why does everybody want to play Tommy Vercetti so badly? Sure, he was a good Tony Montana parallel, but there wasn't all that much interesting about him past that.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

SheepNameKiller posted:

I think that's just them reusing the same texture for numbers on the curb or possibly filming multiple parts of the trailer in the same area.

It's the same shot. The truck drives in front of the curb and you're seeing the number underneath it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Coolodile posted:

GTA4 was supposed to be released October of that year but was pushed back to avoid competing with Halo 3.
That's not why it was delayed. :ssh:

Shogunner posted:

Gamers are stupid and work themselves into a frenzy over nothing. Shocking.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Brainwrong posted:

As ridiculous as that over-analysis is, that is pretty weird. And May 24th is pretty typical of a Rockstar major free-roaming game release day. Since they've more or less confirmed 2012, and they're saying it's in its finishing stages right now, it wouldn't surprise me. I don't especially buy the "Max Payne 3 is coming out around then so they wouldn't release GTAV too". Max Payne 3 is not a big-selling franchise, traditionally quite the opposite, and despite what I'm sure will be an increased focus in marketing than the series has received before, it's just not that kind of title business-wise. It's more in the vein of Midnight Club/Manhunt in terms of priority in the Rockstar sales-window, so I have my doubts about whether it being due in that window would have much effect on whether they'd opt to release GTAV then.

That said, May 24th does seem a bit soon, even if what Rockstar says is true and they'll likely be starting the final stage of polish and bug-testing within the next month or so. But it's far from out of the question, I'd put money on it being within the late May-early October window.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.
I'm kinda floored by that snapshot of the windmills. God that looks gorgeous.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
There are groups of windmills in between San Francisco and Sacramento and also in between LA and Las Vegas, and I'd put money on the latter

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
The Rockstar forums own bones.

Laughed so hard at the last two.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Shogunner posted:

It's a Thursday, so no.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It's a Thursday, so no.

Pretty sure thats when many video games are released?

edit: that and tuesdays, if it was a saturday i'd agree with you

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 2, 2011

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Brainwrong posted:

Those two pics are definitely from the same spot in the trailer after taking a second look at it, clever that there are two to make you think they appear twice but it's just someone trolling.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
What's the source on simultaneous console and PC release?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Joda posted:

What's the source on simultaneous console and PC release?
There isn't one. We don't have a release date. We don't have platforms. We have nothing but the trailer and what mouth-breathers on the Rockstar forums make up.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Blitz7x posted:

I always thought it was pretty exclusively Tuesdays...

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Knowing Rockstar the PC release will probably come much later unfortunately.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Blitz7x posted:

What was the last game, DVD, or music album released on a Thursday and not a Tuesday?

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

The AK47s they're holding at one point have silencers.

I hope this means they'll bring back a few stealth missions, like the silenced pistol in SA and the Madd Dogg mansion.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Forced stealth sucks a lot though

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Cacator posted:

What was the last game, DVD, or music album released on a Thursday and not a Tuesday?

Doesn't Skyrim come out on a Friday and Zelda on a Sunday?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Gorgolflox posted:

Doesn't Skyrim come out on a Friday and Zelda on a Sunday?
Nintendo almost always does Sunday releases so they don't really count. It's just their thing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Whats the point of dressing up as pest control if you're rolling in the front door with your rifles out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Shogunner posted:

The Rockstar forums own bones.

Laughed so hard at the last two.

That particular bike looks more like a decoration bike due to placement than an actual rideable bike. Pretty curious about the dog though, PETA is going to be pissed if people are launching dogs a mile by hitting them with firetrucks.

• Locked thread