Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I'm pretty sure Flash existed, it's just that it wasn't really used professionally. It was more just Newgrounds and a few websites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
I'm really surprised that My Little Pony game hasn't gotten cease and desisted yet, honestly. Fan projects like that usually never go anywhere.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Since we're on the subject, the devs released a new video today, showcasing Twilight Sparkle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxFnpBh22Sg

e: vvv As far as I know/can tell they're making all the game's art and audio assets themselves so I guess it falls under fair use.

Metrohunter fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 2, 2011

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

SpaceBees posted:

I'm really surprised that My Little Pony game hasn't gotten cease and desisted yet, honestly. Fan projects like that usually never go anywhere.

I've seen it posted before that the creators of MLP don't have a problem with the game.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Hasbro doesnt really seem to give a poo poo about any of the fanmade stuff or episodes on Youtube. Maybe they think grown men buying toy ponies is worth the price of looking the other way on things?

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 2, 2011

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gutcruncher posted:

Hasbro doesnt really seem to give a poo poo about any of the fanmade stuff or episodes on Youtube. Maybe they think grown men buying toy ponies is worth the price of looking the other way on things?

They probably have little intention of making a competitive fighting game using the MLP license (or any video game that the vast majority of people who would consider playing this would go to the store and pay money for).

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Countblanc posted:

They probably have little intention of making a competitive fighting game using the MLP license (or any video game that the vast majority of people who would consider playing this would go to the store and pay money for).

Many fan projects have been shut down in the past, even when they explicitly state that they wont charge for it. Anyone remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bioVX5WqmDM

Regardless of whether or not they intend to make it competitive, or even worth the time to download, its miraculous that Hasbro knows of its existence and didnt sic the lawyers

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gutcruncher posted:

Many fan projects have been shut down in the past, even when they explicitly state that they wont charge for it. Anyone remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bioVX5WqmDM

Regardless of whether or not they intend to make it competitive, or even worth the time to download, its miraculous that Hasbro knows of its existence and didnt sic the lawyers

My post was mostly a joke but that link is a completely different story. Square-Enix is absolutely notorious for re-releasing their games, and someone making a widely available free version (that is likely better than whatever crap they'd fart out with chibi 3D models for the 3DS) could potentially steal sales, even if the fans who made it didn't make a dime.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Only time will tell. Hasbro seems to have been pretty lenient on fan stuff where the latest series of MLP is concerned. I swore they were the kind of company that wouldn't let an unlicensed keychain fly.

Though I'm sure they have absolutely no intention of making a fighting game themselves so it's not as if this fangame would be hurting their sales.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Countblanc posted:

My post was mostly a joke but that link is a completely different story. Square-Enix is absolutely notorious for re-releasing their games, and someone making a widely available free version (that is likely better than whatever crap they'd fart out with chibi 3D models for the 3DS) could potentially steal sales, even if the fans who made it didn't make a dime.

Yeah after posting it I remembered that they ended up re-releasing Chrono Trigger on DS. Several years later but still.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Isn't the ubiquity of MLP entirely due to obsessed internet dorks? Hasbro or whoever is hardly gonna wanna get them offside by cancelling their little project

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

As notorious the 'brony' thing as gotten I doubt they make up a significant amount of income for Hasbro where MLP is concerned.

false edit: I noticed they showed off Twilight's level 3. Now I want to see the others since hers was basically Super Skrull's Inferno.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah after posting it I remembered that they ended up re-releasing Chrono Trigger on DS. Several years later but still.

More recent example: Streets of Rage Remake. Sega killed it and put out SoR2 on XBLA or something almost immediately after.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Jock Mocken posted:

I dunno if you've checked ebay lately but green goblin DC sticks aren't really cheap (~50 bucks or so). Local pickups may vary of course

It comes and goes. I'm not sure why they vary in price so much. They were down in the fifteen to twenty five range earlier this year. Interestingly enough the Virtua Sticks are also really expensive these days which is odd, since they have traditionally been pretty cheap.

But yeah, local is the way to go. No one price checks dreamcast peripherals on craigslist and yard sales.

Regardless its cheap to get a DC stick, especially since Cthulhu has DC support these days so if your building a stick you can pretty much get DC support built in along with your PS3/PC stick.

And its all worth it to play Mark of the Wolves.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I want a TE stick does anyone know if the SFIV edition TE stick is the same as the MvC3 TE stick?

SFIV - http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=4762&idCategory=337
MvC3 - http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5083&idCategory=96

The 360 MvC3 stick is sold out.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
All the TE:s are the same expect they have different art. Though didn't the MvC2 TE have problems with the wiring of the buttons?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The mvc2 had a different (better) button layout. The oldest ones had pcb problems, I haven't heard about anything other than that.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
So apparently Cross Counter, Spooky, and the Season's Beatings staff worked together to make and sell a bunch of HD video downloads for the 3 exhibition sets from SB. US vs World, East Coast vs West Coast, and Good vs Evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-ofy1WJtkM

It's $10 for the whole set, I bought it and I gotta say it's probably worth it. They're all in 720p and they have 2 audio tracks: one is commentary, the other is crowd noise from the venue. It also has interviews and stuff with the players if that's what you're into.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Trailer for the Soul Calibur V character customisation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAZTv_7yxoA

I have to say, even though the game is likely going to be awful, the creation is looking really robust.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
:megaman: UMVC3 LAUNCH DAY TOURNAMENT :megaman:

:itjb: Xbox sign-up! :itjb: | :spidey: PS3 sign-up! :spidey:

We're running it on both consoles at the same time (10PM Eastern)
Rules and stuff are on the sign-up page. It doesn't cost anything to sign-up and play but there's also no prize (this time). Any questions please just ask, either here or in the IRC channel.

Goons willing, we'll have a stream for one or both tournaments up for everybody to watch so you can still expect to have some fun watching (GET HYPE) even if you get knocked out early or just want to hang out and watch! Plus there's all the lobbies for casuals that are sure to spring up. Get at this!

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

AXE COP posted:

I have to say, even though the game is likely going to be awful, the creation is looking really robust.

It might be awful, but that's still a few steps up from how terrible SC4 was. I'm looking forward to SC5 quite a bit.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

AXE COP posted:

(The video)

If I pick up SC5 I have no doubt I will log more hours in character customization than the actual game because character and appearance customization is like catnip to me. Also they highlighted the boob slider in customization. Stay classy, Soul Calibur.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Boob slider confirmed :v:

Soul Calabur is one of those games thats really fun to play with friends when you've had a few beers and want to laugh. If you approach it as a ~serious fighting game~ it's going to disappoint/enrage you.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Kuvo posted:

Soul Calabur is one of those games thats really fun to play with friends when you've had a few beers and want to laugh. If you approach it as a ~serious fighting game~ it's going to disappoint/enrage you.

I've never played one of these games. Why is that?

I've heard several top SF players comment that they really love SC2 (2 I think? Could be wrong) as a competitive game and place it among the greats.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Simple inputs, lots of pretty effects and funny moments (i can't count the number of times my dad has ringed himself out) and cheesy dialogue to laugh at. I'm banned from doing fancy moves though :(

I spent hours playing the SC3 singleplayer and unlocking all the characters and weapons. It was amazing every time I unlocked someone I didn't even know existed, like Olcadan :allears:

e: like, trying to get your family to play Street Fighter with the unintuitive combo systems and inputs and stuff would be a nightmare. But anyone can pick up SC and hit buttons and make cool things happen.

e2: Oh you mean why isn't it competitive? I have no idea. :I

AXE COP fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 2, 2011

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Soul Calibur is amazing like that. I got my dad to play SC2 with me a lot for while. It's good in the same way Smash Bros. is, very easy to just pick up and play.

The one time I tried to teach my cousin (like a year younger than me) to play X-Men vs. Street Fighter was awful. I tried teaching him to do a quarter circle forward, and he just ended up spending every match twirling the stick around in circles while mashing buttons. :saddowns:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

40 OZ posted:

I've never played one of these games. Why is that?

Because you have no friends. :smug:

Oh, wait, you meant why it's fun. It's easy to pick up, since the inputs are simple, and it's pretty. MvC3 is flashy, but even doing magic series xx air magic series is too complicated for some of my friends, so having a game like Soul Calibur is a good compromise between me being stuck playing Fifa all night long and them being completely lost and not having fun.

Oh, wait, you meant why it's not competitive. Beats me, I'm guessing balance and Tekken being a(the) superior 3D game.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Yeah, sorry, I meant competitive.

I believe Floe and Aris have both stated that SC2 is their favorite competitive game.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

When I was about 15 or so I and a buncha dudes went to a friends house and played a whole buttload of Soul Calibur 2. We decided to have an Ivy vs Ivy dominatrix mirror match. My friends dad walked in and saw what was going on on the TV, sighed, and walked out.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

40 OZ posted:

Yeah, sorry, I meant competitive.

I believe Floe and Aris have both stated that SC2 is their favorite competitive game.

I think it really comes down to opinion. SC2 does have relatively simple execution, but it certainly doesn't have a million retarded restrictions you have to put on it to make it viable like Smash Bros. Also it doesn't have an awful community.

I mean, if some people think VOOT can be viable, why not SC? That game's even easier and Keits plays it.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
AFAIK the general opinion is that SC2 was good and competitive then Namco hosed it up by adding a bunch of stupid mechanics and characters. Like that one from 4 who can score a ring-out from anywhere on the stage.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

AXE COP posted:

AFAIK the general opinion is that SC2 was good and competitive then Namco hosed it up by adding a bunch of stupid mechanics and characters. Like that one from 4 who can score a ring-out from anywhere on the stage.

Also how Namco stopped caring enough to spring for some proper QA testing. Like how SC3 had weird cancels that totally broke the game, and were discovered by players in like 24 hours after release. Also how the game would corrupt everything on your memory card that was there before SC3.

Edit: Variable canceling let you gain the advantage during times when you obviously SHOULDNT have advantage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctELk2LAFOI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHhy_UXJaks

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 2, 2011

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

PalmTreeFun posted:

I think it really comes down to opinion. SC2 does have relatively simple execution, but it certainly doesn't have a million retarded restrictions you have to put on it to make it viable like Smash Bros. Also it doesn't have an awful community.

I mean, if some people think VOOT can be viable, why not SC? That game's even easier and Keits plays it.

VOOT has extremely demanding execution at high levels I thought. :confused:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Gamest Mook posted:

VOOT has extremely demanding execution at high levels I thought. :confused:

It depends on the character. Raiden's really easy, for instance. The only remotely tough thing he has from what I can tell is selective fire dash canceling his laser (which is absolutely necessary to play him well, but you can pull it off pretty consistently after a couple hours of practice). On the other hand, Apharmd B is ridiculously hard because he has a ton of neat stuff he can do with melee cancels and poo poo. So is Bal-series because of his floating arm shenanigans. Also there's some other cool poo poo like Ajim's ABO hold, which is ridiculously hard to pull off but lets you instantly kill your opponent off a knockdown. Ajim's the lowest-tier character too.

Either way, you can still pick up and play the game relatively easy. The difficult execution mostly comes from timing stuff properly, all the moves are combinations of button presses with maybe one or two move per character that rely on a stick motion other than dashing.

Speaking of VOOT, that got poo poo on way worse than Soul Calibur did when VO: Force came out. They removed half the characters, instead giving like 25 slight variations of each of like five characters. And made half of them not even close to viable. They also made the game like twice as slow as Samurai Shodown, added a pre-order bonus that lets you make the female robots' tits bigger, and added a literal pedo-bait character to boot. Also they basically added SFxT's gems system so you could get better parts in the arcade version as pseudo-DLC.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 2, 2011

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

AXE COP posted:

Hilda is banned now FYI, and Hilda is a cool character just the loving godawful way they implemented her button hold attacks make her comically broken.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

PalmTreeFun posted:

added a pre-order bonus that lets you make the female robots' tits bigger, and added a literal pedo-bait character to boot.

I dont know which blows my mind more. Possibly the second part because I cant imagine how they could even make a pedobait Virtuoid at all... a short robot?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Gutcruncher posted:

I dont know which blows my mind more. Possibly the second part because I cant imagine how they could even make a pedobait Virtuoid at all... a short robot?

I'm not posting the character art for the character (Guarayakha) because it literally is a panty shot. Also don't GIS her name even with SafeSearch on. Here's a less creepy screenshot:

Even worse is that this is literally Jaguarandi. They decided to turn him into a little magical girl that turns into his regular self as a super move. :psyduck:

Also this means that there are a lot of really creepy VO fans that came in with Force. Not only is it a bad game but it means that you get creepy pedo posters on sites like oratan when you're trying to look up VOOT strategy.

What I'm saying is that the VO series died after VOOT. There are only two games in the series as far as I'm concerned.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

AXE COP posted:

The first thing I saw in the character creator: The default face being Hiroyuki Ikeuchi.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Watching the Dev stream for the MLP fan game was a bit of a surreal experience, but I do commend their efforts and dedication.

AXE COP posted:

I don't how I can get back to SC after 3, but I might just give this a shot and play it casually.

Speaking of Namco games, Jinpachi is TTT2 isn't as retarded as people thought he was going to be. In fact, he's probably in the same tier as True Ogre, except with godfist and a strange twin pistons. I think his twin pistons is actually df+2, 1 unlike the usual df+1, 2 of the other Mishimas.

edit: Jinpachi seems to be mid-tier. Poor ogre's at the bottom and it looks like he hasn't got many new things other than a few pokes and launchers, which are probably punishable.

Alisa's also nerfed with her db3 being -2 on hit (according to TekkenZaibatsu).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

PalmTreeFun posted:

I'm not posting the character art for the character (Guarayakha) because it literally is a panty shot. Also don't GIS her name even with SafeSearch on. Here's a less creepy screenshot:

But they already had a magical girl robot, Fei Yin (who I main! :gay: ) why did they feel the need to take that concept a second time... then destroy it?

I also went and Google searched the name. First page has an image of Jesus hugging Twilight Sparkle from my little pony. I have no idea...

• Locked thread