Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The instructions in the readme are great, thanks! I got everything working fine except for bmouse, which I'm still not sure how to use since dw.bat runs "blood -ini dw.ini" while bmouse needs to do something like "bmouse.exe blood" and it won't accept the "-ini dw.ini"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah I've been messing with that and I can't seem to get anything to work. Maybe it's a limitation of bMouse itself? I think I might try to contact the creator and see if he knows anything.

Or maybe our own Tecman knows something. Here's a post of his about getting it to work on vanilla Blood over on the GOG forums http://www.gog.com/en/forum/blood_series/bmouse_0_5_mouse_driver_that_fixes_the_terrible_mouselook_on_dos_build_games

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
OK so I got bMouse working. Turns out the only reason it didn't before is that I hosed up and put it in the wrong Blood install because I have so many of them.

So to get bMouse working, copy bmouse.exe into your Blood directory.

Now edit your BLOOD.CFG and change the following values:

quote:

ExternalFilename = "BMOUSE.EXE" (this tells the game to use bmouse as an "external device" executable)
MouseAiming = 0
MouseAimingFlipped = 0
ControllerType = 3 (sets the game to use Keyboard and External, in other words, Keyboard and External application bmouse.exe to "control" the mouse)
MouseAnalogScale1 = -65536 (if you do not do this, your mouse will be inverted)
MouseAim = 1 (turns on mouse aim, obviously)

Now at the end of your dosboxBloodDW.conf file edit the end so it looks like this:

quote:

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

@ECHO OFF
mount C "."
imgmount D game.inst -t iso
c:
cls
BMOUSE.EXE LAUNCH BLOOD.EXE -ini dw.ini
#dw
exit

The bmouse.exe line being the important one.

And this might be optional but I noticed that the Good Old Games install contains an outdated version of DOSBox. I updated to .74 by overwriting these files in the DOSBox folder:

quote:

dosbox.exe
SDL.dll
SDL_net.dll
zmbv/zmbv.dll
zmbv/zmbv.inf

Of course make backups of anything you overwrite first but this version of DOSBox is supposed to play better with Blood. Hope this all works because it seems to run fine for me!

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Okay, I've done a quick update to the Launcher. If anything doesn't work, please yell at me so I can fix it ASAP. I hope to god I chose the correct version to update from, since I had a couple of things planned which didn't work out. Version control? What's that? :downs:

The .rar files contain an updated executable with the mod added to the list, a .bat file which directly launches Death Wish (just in case) and the DOSBox config file that points to the mod. The structure matches the one in the Launcher. The second version also contains a folder for the mod, a modified .ini file for it, bMouse and modified config files for the main game (just like the other mods use in my launcher).

If you want to just install Death Wish:
http://blood.nanoaugur.net/DeathWish-BloodFolder.rar
In this case, the mod needs to be installed to this subfolder structure inside the launcher: ..\Games\Blood\
The installation order doesn't matter here; either install the mod first, or this update first, nothing should conflict.

If you want to install Death Wish but want to separate it into its own folder for Save Game reasons or what not:
http://blood.nanoaugur.net/DeathWish-SeparateFolder.rar
In this case, a clean copy of One Unit Whole Blood and the mod need to be installed to: ..\Games\DethWish\
This .rar includes a modified version of dw.ini, so it points to the new cutscenes correctly. Preferable install order here would be: a clean copy of the game copied to \Games\DethWish\ (not death, deth, blame 8 char limits), then install the Death Wish mod to the same folder, then install the update (this way the .ini should point correctly).
So either keep my .inis, or (and this is the case if the mod ever gets updated) you'll have to open dw.ini and change all instances of C:\Blood\ to C:\DethWish\. Unless you don't give a poo poo about the cutscenes, in which case it doesn't matter. :)

Example of the .ini changes (in case you need to do them manually), from:

[Episode1]
CutSceneA=C:\Blood\dw1a.smk
CutWavA=C:\Blood\dw1a.wav
CutSceneB=C:\Blood\dw1b.smk
CutWavB=C:\Blood\dw1b.wav

to

[Episode1]
CutSceneA=C:\DethWish\dw1a.smk
CutWavA=C:\DethWish\dw1a.wav
CutSceneB=C:\DethWish\dw1b.smk
CutWavB=C:\DethWish\dw1b.wav

Don't forget to do this for all 3 episodes!

SecondaryBattleTank
Dec 21, 2007

FEED ME CARROTS
Gave the basic Death Wish install a quick test with the launcher, and it ran just fine. Thanks a bunch!

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

I found a nasty bug in the second episode that can prevent a key from dropping. You will all want to update your files.

Download Updated Death Wish
http://www.moddb.com/mods/death-wish-for-blood/

README also updated with bMouse info. I edited my previous post to match this one.

Sorry for the trouble — at the end of development I was testing Co-Op mode and this is an error that only occurs during Single-Player.

FuriousGrey fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 4, 2011

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sorry if bMouse is hard to use, I threw it together from scraps of other peoples code and didn't really know what the hell I was doing :saddowns:

I'm just happy it (mostly) works!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
It doesn't seem hard to use if you're not an idiot like me and simply put it in the wrong place! Once I actually Followed The Directions it worked like a charm.

FuriousGrey posted:

I found a nasty bug in the second episode that can prevent a key from dropping. You will all want to update your files.

You monster.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Deathwish has been working great for me, with the only exception being that it is really hard to activate buttons and switches. It seems you have to be at the exact right distance and angle to trigger them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah that's sort of a Build engine thing. The vast majority of buttons and switches in the regular games were huge and planted only on vertical surfaces. In Death Wish he tried to go for a more realistic approach for some by putting them on terminals or other non-vertical surfaces. I guess having to be accurate with where you're looking to active them is the tradeoff.

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

The default Mapedit object clipset is fairly small (32) so that when you make blocking objects the player can get around them easily.

For some things, like blocking invisible objects used for see-through bridges, I would up the clipset to something higher (like 255). I don't think the original game assumes the player is using mouselook at all and makes the switch size/location a little clunky.

Honestly, I don't know how I used to play this using the arrow keys instead of WSAD & Mouse.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Where can I find the latest/most stable version of the Hierarchy Of Chaos mod for Doom? Google is just giving me links to out-of-date versions.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I love Blood, but im certainly expoiled by the source ports for Duke3d, Doom and others. Using dosbox and having clunky mouse aiming doesnt help at all. drat ATARI :argh:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Guillermus posted:

I love Blood, but im certainly expoiled by the source ports for Duke3d, Doom and others. Using dosbox and having clunky mouse aiming doesnt help at all. drat ATARI :argh:
If you can manage to wait an unspecified amount of time, XL Engine might help. Here's a demo of a still early version of BloodXL in action.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sombrerotron posted:

If you can manage to wait an unspecified amount of time, XL Engine might help. Here's a demo of a still early version of BloodXL in action.

Awesome. I played Blood on DOSbox a while back, but had to stop because it ran like poo poo. I've been waiting for a source port since then. Do they plan on having full voxel support? All of those tombstone sprites look kind of wonky.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
What's wrong with Blood on DOSBox? .74 runs it better than my old computer did back when Blood was new.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Yeah, I don't think I ever really had a problem with DOSBOX, asides from learning how to configure stuff on my own since GOG.com and Steam kind of just slap a generic configuration for all the games that run it.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

So, I was out of power until this evening. That kind of ruined my plans for UT week. Sadly missed BrainBread. No More Room in Hell looks loving killer.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Awesome. I played Blood on DOSbox a while back, but had to stop because it ran like poo poo. I've been waiting for a source port since then. Do they plan on having full voxel support? All of those tombstone sprites look kind of wonky.
I would guess so, judging from the following:

quote:

I’m still working on refactoring the world system. So far the object and logic system are finished. The XL Engine takes the Object/Logic system from DarkXL and extends it. Now objects (i.e. entities/actors) are purely component based rather then using a mix of inheritance and components like DarkXL engine. Objects can have one or more Logic components – which can be implemented in either script or code. These control the function/AI of the objects and almost all of them will be implemented in scripts (except for the player and networked objects). If you have multiple logics on a single object, then they are simply run in order. This allows for simpler, reusable, behaviors to be chained together. Similarly there’s a game data component which is used by the scripts or game code, render component to handle various types of renderable objects (voxels, sprites, models, etc.) and so on. This will allow user mods to add new enemies, powerups, items, weapons, etc. or modify existing logics all through script code – allowing powerful modding capabilities without worrying about the OS or compiling code.

In addition the object pool system from DarkXL has been made to work with the new object system and extended to efficiently support growing as much as needed – limiting the number of run-time allocations necessary without putting a hard limit on the number of objects that can be in the world/level.

I’m still working on refactoring the sector code, the goal of which is to have all the Blood, Outlaws and of course Dark Forces levels rendering correctly as well as being functional (i.e. doors, switches, triggers, etc. working). I’ve already implemented the WorldCell and Cell Loader interfaces (basically these load the map, dungeon, exterior, etc. data and then converts it to a proper WorldCell). This basically means that the game code can call a single function to load a map/cell/etc. and add it to the world. The engine takes care of the rest. I will be gone for a week on a trip but when I get back I should be able to start showing screenshots in the actual game worlds.
http://xlengine.com/?page_id=24

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yodzilla posted:

What's wrong with Blood on DOSBox? .74 runs it better than my old computer did back when Blood was new.

Maybe my computer was a piece of junk, I don't know, but the game ran slow as hell and the sound was crackly. Or maybe I've just been spoiled by Doom source ports.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I know sound was a problem in older DOSBox versions that's for sure but I think you'll be good with that now. Plus if you get the GOG Blood you don't have to worry about mounting your CD drive and having the disk in to listen to the good version of the soundtrack as their version has the CD audio built in.

As for performance, yeah you do need a semi-decent computer I guess but anything from the past five years should be able to run it in DOSBox at 640 resolution.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

If you haven't been playing "No More Room in Hell", you have been missing out.

No crosshairs, no health indicators, no loving heal kits. You sprint and get tired. Once you get bit there is a big chance you might become a zombie. You can only hold it off for so long if you have pills. This game is basically BrainBread, but 100x better. This is what an actual Zombie game is, not that pathetic Left for Dead.

Huge amount of guns and weapons. You hold reload to check your ammo. You have to shoot the zombies in their brains, not just their heads. You can hold your flashlight WITH your pistol out. It's dark, it's scary. There are no second chances.

PLAY THIS YOU FUCKS!

http://www.nomoreroominhell.com/

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kazvall posted:

If you haven't been playing "No More Room in Hell", you have been missing out.

No crosshairs, no health indicators, no loving heal kits. You sprint and get tired. Once you get bit there is a big chance you might become a zombie. You can only hold it off for so long if you have pills. This game is basically BrainBread, but 100x better. This is what an actual Zombie game is, not that pathetic Left for Dead.

Huge amount of guns and weapons. You hold reload to check your ammo. You have to shoot the zombies in their brains, not just their heads. You can hold your flashlight WITH your pistol out. It's dark, it's scary. There are no second chances.

PLAY THIS YOU FUCKS!

http://www.nomoreroominhell.com/
You appear to be lost. You're looking for the Modern FPS Megathread. :V

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009
Edit: Finally got it to work, had to reinstall all of the stuff though

NoodleBox fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 5, 2011

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'll download it and see if I can get it working or something.

EDIT: Oh supposedly they support it? Oh well I'll test it anyway.

EDIT 2: Yeah what's said in the readme works fine.

EDIT 3: Also here is the source code because :buddy: http://swisscm.duke4.net/BMOUSE06_SOURCE.ZIP

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 3, 2011

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

Yodzilla and I played through a level in Co-Op on Extra Crispy. Note: The Voodoo Doll does not know friend from foe.

We're going to see if we can set something up where you can play through Death Wish in Co-Op Map-to-Map like you can with the original episodes instead of playing the missions individually as "User Maps."

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Kins posted:

You appear to be lost. You're looking for the Modern FPS Megathread. :V

Aw, come on. Lotta guys just posted that they loved Brain Bread. I felt it fitting. :thumbsup:

Do we have a Modern FPS Megathread? Haha.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Given how long NMRiH has been in development, I almost consider it an Early FPS game anyway. With that, Source is really starting to age. I hope that isn't too detrimental to the community. NMRiH is easily one of the best mods Source has seen in a long time. The 1.01 patch they put out last night (after just a few days) was a massive improvement over the release version and really shows these guys know what they're doing have been working incredibly hard on the mod.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Source mods look like classic FPSes really.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sombrerotron posted:

I would guess so, judging from the following:
http://xlengine.com/?page_id=24

Man, I've been waiting for this port for ages, just for Daggerfall. I think I've been waiting like two years now. The best part is that it's not vapor, and the guy is making slow but steady progress. poo poo is like an everlasting gobstopper.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Man, I've been waiting for this port for ages, just for Daggerfall. I think I've been waiting like two years now. The best part is that it's not vapor, and the guy is making slow but steady progress. poo poo is like an everlasting gobstopper.
I've been waiting for it just for Dark Forces. Discovered it sometime last year. Before he came up with the bright idea of merging all the engines into a single program, he posted this on the DarkXL blog, on December 22:

quote:

I’m planning on releasing the DarkXL Beta around New Years, so not a very long wait remaining.
10 months later, it's still at 98% towards Beta and he's working on BloodXL instead.

:smithicide:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

treat posted:

Given how long NMRiH has been in development, I almost consider it an Early FPS game anyway. With that, Source is really starting to age. I hope that isn't too detrimental to the community. NMRiH is easily one of the best mods Source has seen in a long time. The 1.01 patch they put out last night (after just a few days) was a massive improvement over the release version and really shows these guys know what they're doing have been working incredibly hard on the mod.

The first game I joined was playing with two Devs. One of the Devs said he worked for Rockstar for four years doing Lead Graphic Design. (Or something like that)

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

DEATH WISH UPDATE 11-4-11 WITH VERSION 1.1

Apparently when I was uploading updates to the original file to the ModDB database it was not overwriting the old version, and none of the fixes were made.

I deleted the original file and have now uploaded version 1.1, which brings together all the patches that have been made so far. They include:

• DWE1M3 Fire Pods removed
• DWE2M5 single-player keydrop fix
• DWE2M7 door trigger fix for lower difficulties
• DWE2M8 Prox Mine Edit
• Various Alignment Fixes
Also...
• Updated README with info on GoG, bMouse, and More
• GoG files to help you run Death Wish

ModDB Page with Download Link

If you don't want to wait for ModDB's authorization, head over to the blog for an alternate link:

Temporary Alt Links Found Here

Thanks everyone for putting up with the hiccups — I've never dealt with ModDB before so I'm still getting used to their system.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009
Edit: I am an idiot

NoodleBox fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 5, 2011

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Is there a way to run Brutal Doom on the client side? I love it but it a lot of multiplayer servers don't use it. I don't like going back to regular gore now that I've tried Brutal Doom

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

nexus6 posted:

Is there a way to run Brutal Doom on the client side? I love it but it a lot of multiplayer servers don't use it. I don't like going back to regular gore now that I've tried Brutal Doom

You are using Skulltag I assume? Try downloading GZDoom, or just start a LAN server in Skulltag(doomseeker).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

nexus6 posted:

If you mean using Brutal Doom while all the other players use normal Doom, than sorry, it's impossible - Brutal Doom changes a shitload more than the gore effects under the hood, and Skulltag doesn't really have a concept of clientside mods.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, today I wrote a bit about the source-port/freeware fan-release of Forsaken. A fairly fast and arcadey Descent clone released in 1998. The source-port doesn't change much (just adds modern resolutions and solves compatibility issues), but it's a neat little LAN game, and it's now for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Just don't even try playing it if you suffer from motion sickness. It WILL kill you.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
That game had a pretty sweet soundtrack if I remember correctly.

e: does anyone know how you'd be able to get Meltdown working with Death Wish? someone said that we could get it working by just pointing the Blood path to dw.bat but when I try to launch the game Meltdown throws an invalid file error saying that it has to be an executable. Are we just going about this wrong?

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

The Kins posted:

If you mean using Brutal Doom while all the other players use normal Doom, than sorry, it's impossible - Brutal Doom changes a shitload more than the gore effects under the hood, and Skulltag doesn't really have a concept of clientside mods.

That's a pity. Still, I'm having a blast playing shotgun frenzy: all the super fast-paced, hundreds-of-enemies DOOM gameplay we love with earning points to buy better weapons so it doesn't get stale.