Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Himuro posted:

The problem with this is...you can ride a horse. You can't ride a dog unless you're a toddler.

I meant that the dog could be killed but you can just re-summon it later, whenever you want. :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

This game looks great. If they could make it as fun/big as Just Cause 2 but set in the GTA San Andreas "world" I would be a happy man.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

This game looks great. If they could make it as fun/big as Just Cause 2 but set in the GTA San Andreas "world" I would be a happy man.

What the gently caress, this would be terrible if it was that huge.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Considering how entertaining it was to push people down stairs in GTAIV, I just realized that it might very well be possible to push people down a mountain and watch the Euphoria glory unfold in GTAV. :allears:

Typically GTA games take place on islands so everything you see you can go to and explore. With the gigantic mountain range in the background of one of the shots, I wonder if that will still be the case. It would be really cool if those mountains were in the explorable game world, but I wonder if they'll be impassable or something and this will be the first GTA game not on an island.

edit: If you can go to anything you see, still, then this could be a really big game world considering how distant those mountains seemed in the windmills shot.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 2, 2011

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Typically GTA games take place on islands so everything you see you can go to and explore. With the gigantic mountain range in the background of one of the shots, I wonder if that will still be the case. It would be really cool if those mountains were in the explorable game world, but I wonder if they'll be impassable or something and this will be the first GTA game not on an island.

Doubt it, I'm banking on the mountains serving as a way to limit visible distance, to ease rendering of the other (two?) cities when you're tooling around or traveling in that direction. I can't see Rockstar not putting it on an island, that's never happened in a GTA game to my knowledge, and San Andreas was an island in the previous iteration.

Especially since we're clearly being shown planes and jets, and there will surely be choppers, I can't see mountains being any kind of effective wall to fence players in.

I'm still confident Los Santos won't be the only city, the first San Andreas trailer for PS2 only showed LS as well, it was a while before we knew about the other two.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Stare-Out posted:

Considering how entertaining it was to push people down stairs in GTAIV, I just realized that it might very well be possible to push people down a mountain and watch the Euphoria glory unfold in GTAV. :allears:

We're just protecting them from the terrible secret of space.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

the Bunt posted:

Date minigames were in San Andreas. They didn't make them any more fun in IV, and there are less of them there to boot.

I'm not sure what you are talking about with "at least buildings in IV are solid at the top", because they all are in the older games. I might be wrong about 3, actually, but in VC and San Andreas I never came across a building I couldn't stand on top of.

Show me in San Andreas where I can watch standup comedy, or go bowling, or hang out with someone in a helicopter or play darts? Because I'm pretty sure you can't do those there! The only thing you could do on dates in SA was eat, "dance" or drive around, you're mistaken if you think there's less to do.

Most of the tall buildings in VC and San Andreas had the top you could stand on well below where it looked to be. And there was nothing like how you could easily get up on all kinds of buildings in IV and use them as superb sniping locations to wreak havoc, or spawn and drive cars/bikes off of. And there's nothing like the pinnacle of the not-Empire State Building in IV in any of the previous games.

Stare-Out posted:

Considering how entertaining it was to push people down stairs in GTAIV, I just realized that it might very well be possible to push people down a mountain and watch the Euphoria glory unfold in GTAV.

Possible? Hell it'll probably be mandatory in at least one mission.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Install Gentoo posted:

Show me in San Andreas where I can watch standup comedy, or go bowling, or hang out with someone in a helicopter or play darts? Because I'm pretty sure you can't do those there! The only thing you could do on dates in SA was eat, "dance" or drive around, you're mistaken if you think there's less to do.

This is like arguing "hey, nailing your penis to the wall gives you more options to get it unstuck compared to gluing it to the wall."

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mandrel posted:

Especially since we're clearly being shown planes and jets, and there will surely be choppers, I can't see mountains being any kind of effective wall to fence players in.

They could have every plane and chopper break down when trying to fly over them or something, I dunno. It would be a very un-rockstar-like move, though. I'm really just speculating. I think it's more likely that it's still on an island, but there's the possibility that they might try to make it a little bit more "realistic" and use mountains and barren desert wastelands as natural barriers instead of oceans.

I'm pretty psyched, though, because it looks like from what little we've seen of the countryside, the game world looks really big. I don't want it to be JC2 big, that's just crazy, but it seems bigger than San Andreas.

edit: Even if they do wall you off with natural barriers other than the ocean, I still think we're getting three cities no matter what. The guy talks about moving to San Andreas, not Los Santos.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 2, 2011

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Mandrel posted:

Doubt it, I'm banking on the mountains serving as a way to limit visible distance, to ease rendering of the other (two?) cities when you're tooling around or traveling in that direction. I can't see Rockstar not putting it on an island, that's never happened in a GTA game to my knowledge, and San Andreas was an island in the previous iteration.

I'm still confident Los Santos won't be the only city, the first San Andreas trailer for PS2 only showed LS as well, it was a while before we knew about the other two.

National Guard could have the airspace on lockdown and kill all aircrafts trying to go over the mountain pass. Kinda like how you are walled into 1 part of the city in all GTAs (if you got over the walls you would get a 5 star wanted level), except then you are locked in 1 of the cities.

Then the other 2 cities could be DLC 1 and DLC 2. Or bundled as "Stories of San Andreas".

Or we could just get all 3 cities at once. Honestly that seems more likely. Otherwise I think they should try to make it clear to not crush everyones expectations (which would probable not be great PR).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Himuro posted:

This is like arguing "hey, nailing your penis to the wall gives you more options to get it unstuck compared to gluing it to the wall."

Actually, it isn't at all. You don't even have to go on dates to hit up the bowling alley or whatever the gently caress.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

Actually, it isn't at all. You don't even have to go on dates to hit up the bowling alley or whatever the gently caress.

But why would you? The minigames weren't much fun, and the standup was Ricky loving Gervais.

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME
I kind of agree that making a game based on LA and not including areas that we all loved from San Andreas would be a really bad PR move.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Ricky Gervais is a funny man :colbert:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Having never played San Andreas I'm hoping GTA5 will be all the fun bits of GTA4 without all the stupid buddy upkeep or SA's minigames. Why play a game where my character spends a lot of time at the gym when I can just do that myself?

Oh, and I hope they rip off Heat again. Like, all of it this time.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I think what I like best is that it'll probably come out right when I'm bored with beating people with dildo bats in SR3, and am looking for a bit more mature fun.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Also I hope they put more effort into the radio material, and significantly less into the TV stuff this time around. The radio is great because you're doing something active while listening it, and if anything's worth hearing the end of, you just find a slightly longer route. With the TV, you're watching a virtual TV in your real TV, and it just served to take me out of the game's world since I wasn't really involved in any way.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ChuckDHead posted:

But why would you? The minigames weren't much fun, and the standup was Ricky loving Gervais.

I dunno man, I'm a normal person so I find smashing cars off the road in Liberty City to cause explosions fun, but these people are claiming IV has "less to do" which is straight false.

GTA IV protip: you can do drivebys while riding as a passenger in a taxi! Try it with grenades!

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

They can't show explicit stuff while maintaining an M rating, blame the ESRB and seemingly illogical American standards

Something's not right here, lemme just, um...

Michael Scott posted:

They can't show explicit stuff while maintaining an M rating, blame the ESRB and genuinely illogical American standards

...there, that's better.

Also, for the record, they showed a naked guy's dick in TLAD.

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
San Andreas was the best GTA, this looks like San Andreas.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

edit: If you can go to anything you see, still, then this could be a really big game world considering how distant those mountains seemed in the windmills shot.

I dunno, Red Dead Redemption had vistas that big, and it was all explorable land. I would be surprised if they showed you a mountain like that in the trailer and then didn't make it explorable.

I look forward to driving off of top of it in a bus.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
The trailer looks good! I like how if you are pretty familiar with GTA-SA some of the things in it are very recognizable. Mount chilliad, and the dock cranes, the vinewood sign, the aquaducts. Very cool to see in high def.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
If any Hells Rebels read this thread, I want to see you all leather chappin' here next year in glorious high definition.

Edit: also if this gets a day one pc release it'll be the first one since gta2 I didn't have to buy twice. Is there any reason to think that though? I heard someone mention it earlier in the thread.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

maxnmona posted:

I dunno, Red Dead Redemption had vistas that big, and it was all explorable land. I would be surprised if they showed you a mountain like that in the trailer and then didn't make it explorable.

I look forward to driving off of top of it in a bus.

RDR did a great job of making things look vast and expansive without actually making it vast, it was weird camera tricks or something. Wouldn't be surprised if the same thing was in GTAV.

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice

davebo posted:

Edit: also if this gets a day one pc release it'll be the first one since gta2 I didn't have to buy twice. Is there any reason to think that though? I heard someone mention it earlier in the thread.

Nope, no info on platforms.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Those mountains definitely look untraversable. That doesn't mean they can't have a highway going through them nor that you won't be able to fly over them, but to me they look like a deliberately placed obstacle. It would be cool if the map had different obstacles at each corner or something like that. At the very least a desert to the Northwest would make sense keeping San Andreas' geography in mind.

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love

Friar Zucchini posted:

...there, that's better.

And as mentioned before, boobs in RDR.

I love all the speculation in this thread though, seriously.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I hope bikes (if they are in) act like they did in SA kind of. I could pedal up the side of the mountain because game physics! Not the path side the side that is almost completely vertical. poo poo owned even of you had to mash X at 10000 mph

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

XarsonX posted:

And as mentioned before, boobs in RDR.

I love all the speculation in this thread though, seriously.

It's a total flashback to when SA just had some random images released and some of the inane poo poo people speculated about back then. I'm excited as hell for this game and I can't wait for more details to come out.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Knightmare posted:

RDR did a great job of making things look vast and expansive without actually making it vast, it was weird camera tricks or something

Lack of 200 mph supercars to steal probably had something to do with that. If you like, could only use horses in San Andreas, it would take a full 10+ minutes of real time to cross that game's map at full gallop or something similar.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Friar Zucchini posted:

...there, that's better.

That totally threw me off. I was NOT expecting that, then BAM, full frontal male nudity out of nowhere. I give kudos to Rockstar on that one.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

Lack of 200 mph supercars to steal probably had something to do with that. If you like, could only use horses in San Andreas, it would take a full 10+ minutes of real time to cross that game's map at full gallop or something similar.

If I remember right, it took at least 10 minutes to cross from one side of San Andreas to the other even in a car. That game was huge.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

maxnmona posted:

If I remember right, it took at least 10 minutes to cross from one side of San Andreas to the other even in a car. That game was huge.

I liked to time it and it only took me 3 or so minutes, IIRC. It seemed huge because it was so much bigger than Vice City (Vice City took like 30 seconds tops to cross), but it might not be as big as you think it was.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Knightmare posted:

RDR did a great job of making things look vast and expansive without actually making it vast, it was weird camera tricks or something. Wouldn't be surprised if the same thing was in GTAV.

I think it was also helped out by the longer travel times thanks to horses/slow trains instead of cars and jets. There were pretty blatant impassable cliff faces at the borders of the game world, though.

I'll be surprised if they don't just surround the world with water again. There's really no other not-ridiculous way of creating a border when you (potentially) have access to aircraft. I liked the way SA handled it, letting you continue to fly/boat in any direction for as long as you want, but it was kind of on an invisible treadmill after a short distance from shore so that while you didn't just hit a wall after leaving the map, it wasn't some boundless sea to get lost in.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I liked to time it and it only took me 3 or so minutes, IIRC. It seemed huge because it was so much bigger than Vice City (Vice City took like 30 seconds tops to cross), but it might not be as big as you think it was.

Fair enough. It's been a few years.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

That totally threw me off. I was NOT expecting that, then BAM, full frontal male nudity out of nowhere. I give kudos to Rockstar on that one.

I don't know if I should be sad or glad that they didn't make that dudes weiner a euphoria object.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

I dunno man, I'm a normal person so I find smashing cars off the road in Liberty City to cause explosions fun, but these people are claiming IV has "less to do" which is straight false.

I can't help but think that it's more a case of GTA4 having less that people actually want to do. Okay so for the sake of argument, let's ignore all the stuff they didn't re-implement after San Andreas and Vice City. So just for now, forget the rampage missions, gang turf battles, flight/driving/boat schools, pimping, freight trucking, car modding, photography, train missions, bicycles races and courier missions, a triathlon against a man in a chicken suit, valeting, quarry missions, Paramedic missions, Firefighter missions, a dance minigame, burglary, pizza delivery, Ice Cream van missions, shooting ranges, RC vehicle challenges, and stadium challenges like the demolition derby and stunt biking. Even if we do forget those and judge GTA4 on its own merits, however, a lot of the content that was in there just wasn't worth doing, and that's as good as not being content at all.

Consider the in-game internet, it's probably quite big and amusing, how much did any of us really bother with it beyond the one mission that used it to set up a hit? The pigeon hunt was far more difficult than the usual hidden package challenges and would have provided hours of content, but it had far less of a reward, so again, why bother? Darts, pool, and bowling weren't that much fun beyond the first play and had no real reward, so why bother once more? What's left? Some races and time trials, hidden stunt jumps, taxi missions, and the new style of Vigilante missions, I guess?

And for "normal people" like you who just like to wreck stuff, didn't you notice that you couldn't even have much fun rampaging because you never got any interesting weapons or vehicles anyway? No chainsaw, no minigun, no flamethrower, very little RPG ammo available and only at a terrible spawning location, no combine harvester, no tanks, no jetpack: no fun rampages. Still, you can push people down stairs now, right?

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 2, 2011

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I love you you glorious bastards Rockstar.

I was so afraid they'd pussy out and just do Los Santos or something. Now that we have at least Mountains/Los Santos/Country side (I'm not as up on my american cities- did we get any flashes of San Fierro/Las Venturas?)- I'm stoked. My favourite parts of San Andreas were out in the countryside chilling. So good.

Apart from the trailer is there any news on anything? Have rockstar given any interviews elaborating on ANYTHING at all? :(

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

teacup posted:

Apart from the trailer is there any news on anything? Have rockstar given any interviews elaborating on ANYTHING at all? :(

I'd expect a full reveal in next month's Game Informer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

teacup posted:

(I'm not as up on my american cities- did we get any flashes of San Fierro/Las Venturas?)

The real LA County is so incredibly vast and varied in locales that everything in that trailer could be from a single sprawling city and surrounding suburbs/countryside. I'd be blown away if the game also included San Fierro and Las Venturas, but so far I personally don't see anything to definitely indicate that's the case.

• Locked thread