Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

About the map sizes- here's a cool image comparing the sizes of the game worlds in various games-

But I would be really shocked if they have all of San Andreas in there. As much as I would love it. San Andreas is still probably my favourite game ever. I'm glad they are at least revisiting Los Santos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

marktheando posted:

But I would be really shocked if they have all of San Andreas in there. As much as I would love it. San Andreas is still probably my favourite game ever. I'm glad they are at least revisiting Los Santos.

If they weren't putting elements of san fiero and las venturas in, wouldn't they have just called stuff in the preview los santos instead of the greater san andreas?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ChuckDHead posted:

And for "normal people" like you who just like to wreck stuff, didn't you notice that you couldn't even have much fun rampaging because you never got any interesting weapons or vehicles anyway? No chainsaw, no minigun, no flamethrower, very little RPG ammo available and only at a terrible spawning location, no combine harvester, no tanks, no jetpack: no fun rampages. Still, you can push people down stairs now, right?

This was sorta fixed in the expansions at least so I'd expect more crazy weapons in this. Stuff like the satchel charges, explosive rapid fire shotgun and the shotgun you could use on a bike were pretty fun. Even basic stuff like the grenade launcher in TLAD had a really fun feel and sound.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

sirbeefalot posted:

The real LA County is so incredibly vast and varied in locales that everything in that trailer could be from a single sprawling city and surrounding suburbs/countryside. I'd be blown away if the game also included San Fierro and Las Venturas, but so far I personally don't see anything to definitely indicate that's the case.

Definitely. I'm just happy that it's not just City (no matter how varied) and that it's City + some countryside/Mountains/etc. Liberty City was great but it got a bit ho hum with the whole urban sprawl.

I'm not optimistic that it would also have San Fierro + Las Venturas but... if it did.... goddamn.

I'm really hoping they find a good balance between GTAIV/SA for the gameplay as well. Personally I don't think it needs to go as crazy as San Andreas, but getting a balance between the two would be nice.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

This was sorta fixed in the expansions at least so I'd expect more crazy weapons in this. Stuff like the satchel charges, explosive rapid fire shotgun and the shotgun you could use on a bike were pretty fun. Even basic stuff like the grenade launcher in TLAD had a really fun feel and sound.

I really do keep intending to get to those, but I was just so uninspired by GTA4 that I could never be bothered spending the money, even Preowned. I'm just going to skip to GTAV and hope for the best.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

marktheando posted:

About the map sizes- here's a cool image comparing the sizes of the game worlds in various games-

I can still hardly believe that Burnout Paradise is that big. I mean, all of Cyrodiil fits in the urban part of it? Then again, if you could actually get out of the car, you'd probably see that all the roads are unrealistically huge and everything is crazy far apart because when you're in a car you're actually going like 200mph.

About GTA5, considering we've seen countryside like deserts and mountains, I'd be really shocked if they didn't have the other cities as well to give meaning to that countryside. Take that shot of the desert road and the roadside stop, where does it lead if not to another city? We've seen forests, mountains, and deserts, that's some diversity for just one city.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

maxnmona posted:

If I remember right, it took at least 10 minutes to cross from one side of San Andreas to the other even in a car. That game was huge.

GTA SA is a little shy of 4 miles on a side, and the Infernus tops out at 156 MPH. If you had a straight, level roadway from edge to edge, you could cross San Andreas in about 90 seconds. I think with the way the longest continuos freeway goes (the one from LV to LS) it takes about 2 minutes in a fast car.

Now of course if you're not driving a supercar and you take the countryside roads instead, that can take quite a bit longer.

ChuckDHead posted:

I can't help but think that it's more a case of GTA4 having less that people actually want to do. Okay so for the sake of argument, let's ignore all the stuff they didn't re-implement after San Andreas and Vice City. So just for now, forget the rampage missions, flight/driving/boat schools, car modding, tagging, photography, train missions, bicycles races, a triathlon, Paramedic missions, Firefighter missions, a dance minigame, burglary, and stadium challenges like the demolition derby and stunt biking. Even if we do forget those and judge GTA4 on its own merits, however, a lot of the content that was in there just wasn't worth doing, and that's as good as not being content at all.

Consider the in-game internet, it's probably quite big and amusing, how much did any of us really bother with it beyond the one mission that used it to set up a hit? The pigeon hunt was far more difficult than the usual hidden package challenges and would have provided hours of content, but it had far less of a reward, so again, why bother?

And for "normal people" like you who just like to wreck stuff, didn't you notice that you couldn't even have much fun rampaging because you never got any interesting weapons or vehicles anyway? No chainsaw, no minigun, no flamethrower, very little RPG ammo available and only at a terrible spawning location, no combine harvester, no tanks, no jetpack: no fun rampages. Still, you can push people down stairs now, right?

The schools were tedious busywork to unlock later missions. Tagging and photography were literally just different ways to get a hidden package. There's still dance minigames in IV and especially Gay Tony so I don't know what you're talking about there. Paramedic and Firefighter missions were only "worth doing" because they had those certain rewards to them, many people found them utterly tedious. Burglary was barely enjoyable in SA, just like the 7 kinds of races you decided to split up to look more impressive. Also you're wrong about the content not being worth doing.

The in game internet is really just intended to be an incidental way to get messages. And I bothered with it after that because you get Brucie's car theft emails from it to make money. Being able to shoot hidden packages instead of climb random stuff would have made collecting things in SA a lot nicer too.

Did you notice you can dial a number to get full weapons in this game? And here's what IV has instead of rampages: working online multiplayer. Try clipping the tail off your military helicopter right above a crowded street, or tossing grenades out the backseat of a taxi if you don't think you can cause destruction.

And finally, if GTA IV is sooooo boring and has nothing to do, why has it sold more copies than GTA: SA, to say nothing of how the expansions sold?

sirbeefalot posted:

The real LA County is so incredibly vast and varied in locales that everything in that trailer could be from a single sprawling city and surrounding suburbs/countryside. I'd be blown away if the game also included San Fierro and Las Venturas, but so far I personally don't see anything to definitely indicate that's the case.

Yeah. Los Angeles county in real life is bigger than Delaware and Rhode Island put together in size. It has two distinct mountain ranges, at least one mountain over 2 miles tall, and year round snow on the upper reaches of those mountain ranges.It has a large swath of the Mojave desert, as well as all that beach. It also has 10 million people, 88 cities, poo poo's massive.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I can still hardly believe that Burnout Paradise is that big. I mean, all of Cyrodiil fits in the urban part of it? Then again, if you could actually get out of the car, you'd probably see that all the roads are unrealistically huge and everything is crazy far apart because when you're in a car you're actually going like 200mph.

Burnout Paradise also doesn't have a lot of real detail to it, along with the whole spending most of your time at high speed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

marktheando posted:

What the gently caress? San Andreas is one of the smallest? :psyduck:

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Philip J Fry posted:

This is from a different unconfirmed source but...seems legit.

(note the title on the building)

And here is the source: http://www.igta5.com/three-great-gta-5-fakes

Note the page title and the post date ;)

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm sorry but it's just so hard for me to take anyone who says GTAIV didn't have less to do seriously. Whether or not you think it's a valid complaint isn't the issue, but to outright deny that GTAIV doesn't have less content compared to its predecessors is just...where do you get this?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

davebo posted:

If they weren't putting elements of san fiero and las venturas in, wouldn't they have just called stuff in the preview los santos instead of the greater san andreas?

I don't see why they would. Los Santos has already been established as being part of San Andreas. It's just like someone referring to LA as being California.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

marktheando posted:

The Burnout Paradise map looks wildly out of scale compared to everything else here, I can't believe it's that big (certainly didn't feel like it). Compare the size of a city block to SA and it's completely out of proportion.

Anyway GTA V looks pretty promising, but I would have preferred Vice City really.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Metrication posted:

The Burnout Paradise map looks wildly out of scale compared to everything else here, I can't believe it's that big (certainly didn't feel like it). Compare the size of a city block to SA and it's completely out of proportion.

Anyway GTA V looks pretty promising, but I would have preferred Vice City really.

If you slow down in Paradise everything is out of proportion, city blocks were way bigger than they should have been because you go so fast.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

And finally, if GTA IV is sooooo boring and has nothing to do, why has it sold more copies than GTA: SA, to say nothing of how the expansions sold?

Because a GTA game would sell a million copies worth of preorders (and get universal 10/10 reviews) just on the strength of it's brand name even if it was a reskin of Duke Nukem Forever.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 2, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Himuro posted:

I'm sorry but it's just so hard for me to take anyone who says GTAIV didn't have less to do seriously. Whether or not you think it's a valid complaint isn't the issue, but to outright deny that GTAIV doesn't have less content compared to its predecessors is just...where do you get this?

The fact that I've played every Grand Theft Auto game and GTA IV has the most stuff to do? Pretty simple chief.

ChuckDHead posted:

Because a GTA game would sell a million copies worth of preorders (and get universal 10/10 reviews) just on the strength of it's brand name even if it was a reskin of Duke Nukem Forever.

It wouldn't sell 22 million copies and continue getting good reviews for 4 years on if it was actually bad, sorry!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What you do in GTAIV to have fun:

MURDER PEOPLE DRIVE LIKE A MANIAC JUMP OFF BUILDINGS TRY AND LAND ON PEOPLE CRASH INTO WALLS

I mean come on. gently caress pool gently caress bowling blah blah go shoot people for hours

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Install Gentoo posted:

It wouldn't sell 22 million copies and continue getting good reviews for 4 years on if it was actually bad, sorry!

Where did you get those numbers? As of March of this year, released in an overall total sales figures put out by Rockstar, GTAIV has sold 20 million copies with San Andreas selling 21.5 million.

MeinGott posted:

What you do in GTAIV to have fun:

MURDER PEOPLE DRIVE LIKE A MANIAC JUMP OFF BUILDINGS TRY AND LAND ON PEOPLE CRASH INTO WALLS

I mean come on. gently caress pool gently caress bowling blah blah go shoot people for hours

I've never been one for mindlessly killing people. It got boring back in the GTAIII, I did it in GTAIV and got bored doing it after an hour.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Himuro posted:

Where did you get those numbers? As of March of this year, released in an overall total sales figures put out by Rockstar, GTAIV has sold 20 million copies with San Andreas selling 21.5 million.

I'd say that's pretty good considering SA has a four year lead on IV.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

The fact that I've played every Grand Theft Auto game and GTA IV has the most stuff to do? Pretty simple chief.

Yeah, you're probably the only person here who's done that.

Except, you know, me and pretty much everyone else in this thread.

Install Gentoo posted:

And reviews are more useless than usual in this context, because no magazine would be dumb enough to buck the trend and risk the ire of one of the most influential companies in gaming, thereby potentially losing the chances of exclusives and preview copies.

It's not a bad game. It's graphically impressive, has a very solid engine, and some great animations. Sadly while it's not bad, it's just very disappointing after a run of brilliant games, each of which expanded on the possibilities of the last.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Install Gentoo posted:

Yes it would because GTA4 has a lot of irritating fanboys continuing to massively overhype and overpraise the game. The sales figures have wildy differing variables that can affect them.

I wonder how many millions of copies of the game have been sold via steam at super cheap prices for example, not to mention how many millions were sold within the first few weeks of the game's launch due to brand and "super awesome game of the century" (p)reviews and hype?

Kin fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 2, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Himuro posted:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/37228/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV_Passes_22M_Shipped_Franchise_Above_114M.php

ChuckDHead posted:

Yeah, you're probably the only person here who's done that.

Except, you know, me and pretty much everyone else in this thread.

And reviews are more useless than usual in this context, because no magazine would be dumb enough to buck the trend and risk the ire of one of the most influential companies in gaming, thereby potentially losing the chances of exclusives and preview copies.

You don't even own the game! Unless you were lying earlier.

Nice conspiracy bro. BUSH DID GTA IV reviews!!!!

Kin posted:

Yes it would because GT4A has a lot of irritating fanboys continuing to massively overhype and overpraise the game. The sales figures have wildy differing variables that can affect them.

I wonder how many millions of copies of the game have been sold via steam at super cheap prices for example, not to mention how many millions were sold within the first few weeks of the game's launch due to brand and "super awesome game of the century" (p)reviews and hype?

Yeah drat the CIA mind control making people like a good game and then buy it.

And of course GTA:SA has never been on sale for cheap, no sir, certainly not.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

You don't even own the game! Unless you were lying earlier.

Unfortunately I do own GTA4. Worse still, I preordered it and dropped the money for the special edition, which I regretted very quickly. I just don't own the expansion packs to the game, because GTA4 was so lacklustre that I don't want to waste my money on them.

Install Gentoo posted:

Nice conspiracy bro. BUSH DID GTA IV reviews!!!!

Nice failure to understand how gaming media works.

Install Gentoo posted:

Yeah drat the CIA mind control making people like a good game and then buy it.

By "the CIA mind control", I take it you mean the power of incredibly strong branding based on a brilliant and controversial past reputation and a long-running campaign of multi-media hype?

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 2, 2011

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

ChuckDHead posted:

I really do keep intending to get to those, but I was just so uninspired by GTA4 that I could never be bothered spending the money, even Preowned. I'm just going to skip to GTAV and hope for the best.

You're missing out. They're really worth checking out if you're looking for something to tide you over, especially if GTA4 is not fresh in your memory.

For me, it's time to revisit San Andreas before 5 hits. I'm so excited at the idea of flying a crop duster and spraying pesticides over top of people, crashing into a building, and then blowing up in downtown causing a micro-biological war act. Here's to hoping you actually can do any of that.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

marktheando posted:

I don't see why they would. Los Santos has already been established as being part of San Andreas. It's just like someone referring to LA as being California.

Yeah but if there were one golf club in LA wouldn't you be more likely to call it the LA Golf Club than the California Golf Club? I mean I agree that they could make a large enough game using just Los Santos and outlying areas, and we certainly didn't see the golden gate bridge or casinos in the trailer, I just think for all this stuff to be called San Andreas instead of just Los Santos, it's bound to extend well past just what most people would consider LA-like territory.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I had a lot of fun with GTAIV but it definitely felt like a step back from San Andreas in terms of stuff to do. The more varied environments of San Andreas helped a lot as well, with each city having it's own look plus the countryside.

No taking over territories, less customisation. No planes. No parachuting, until Gay Tony anyway. Less fun weapons. Parachuting down from the harrier to start some carnage was my favourite thing to do in San Andreas. I have Saints Row for that stuff now I guess though.

Though GTAIV did introduce the amazing side activity of pushing people down the stairs.

davebo posted:

Yeah but if there were one golf club in LA wouldn't you be more likely to call it the LA Golf Club than the California Golf Club? I mean I agree that they could make a large enough game using just Los Santos and outlying areas, and we certainly didn't see the golden gate bridge or casinos in the trailer, I just think for all this stuff to be called San Andreas instead of just Los Santos, it's bound to extend well past just what most people would consider LA-like territory.

Seems like a stretch, I'm not getting my hopes up of seeing San Fierro or Las Venturas.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 2, 2011

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What the gently caress? San Andreas is one of the smallest? :psyduck:

The draw distance definitely helps the place seem huge. When you're running around in a kinda thin fog, you can't really tell that Los Santos and San Fierro are literally one mile away from each other. A mile ain't far.

edit: Got a better screen cap of the police car, like two frames before the one earlier that shows "Obey & Survive."

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 2, 2011

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

JDanielS posted:

You're missing out. They're really worth checking out if you're looking for something to tide you over, especially if GTA4 is not fresh in your memory.

Lost and The Damned isn't something I'm too interested in because I really hated the bikes in GTA4, but I actually might give Gay Tony a shot sooner or later. I remember seeing the trailers and thinking it looked a bit more my mind of thing, much more action packed and with a bit of a Vice City feel.

Plus, I loved that "she's got the look" soundtrack to the ads...

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ChuckDHead posted:

Unfortunately I do own GTA4. Worse still, I preordered it and dropped the money for the special edition, which I regretted very quickly. I just don't own the expansion packs to the game, because GTA4 was so lacklustre that I don't want to waste my money on them.

Nice failure to understand how gaming media works.

By "the CIA mind control", I take it you mean the power of incredibly strong branding based on a brilliant and controversial past reputation and a long-running campaign of multi-media hype?

I was going to ask him something similar, but due to him thinking GTA4 has more content/gameplay/unlocks/"things to do" than any of the previous 3D GTA iterations, I don't think he has a strong enough grasp of reality to give us an answer that isn't stupid.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The problem with GTA4 was that it really ran out of steam halfway through and then compounded that issue by having an absolutely terrible and disappointing third island. GTA4 was really good but at the same time it was easy to become disillusioned with due to the lackluster final third of the game and those loving irritating phonecalls that insisted you go waste time playing bowls or whatever.

The whole game up to getting to the second island and a little bit further is inspired though.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

GTA4 is a brilliant technical accomplishment and unlike the previous GTA games, it actually has satisfying driving and shooting mechanics

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think if anything could tide me over for this wait, it'd be watching someone try to explain how selling boatloads of a game isn't evidence that it's enjoyable and much beloved on it's own merits.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Metrication posted:

I'd like to see a size comparison with Midnight Club: Los Angeles. It certainly felt bigger than Burnout Paradise, even though you are driving around at much slower speeds.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

ChuckDHead posted:

Lost and The Damned isn't something I'm too interested in because I really hated the bikes in GTA4, but I actually might give Gay Tony a shot sooner or later. I remember seeing the trailers and thinking it looked a bit more my mind of thing, much more action packed and with a bit of a Vice City feel.

Gay Tony really is excellent. And the bikes are much easier to handle in Lost and the Damned than they are in regular GTAIV or in Gay Tony, since your character is a biker I guess. But if you only get one then it should be Gay Tony.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The best thing to do in any GTAIV is getting killed on the 3rd island and spawning at the intersection with the water tower thing and a guy on top of it. Run over climb the tower punch him in the dick right off of it and get the cops on you so they climb up the ladder. Kick em in the face shoot em hop on the ladder when they are on it so your models intersect and you both go flying off at 100 mph until you get bored.

I have done this thing for hours on end. This. one. thing.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

ChuckDHead posted:

The bikes in TLAD are absolutely nothing like the ones in GTA 4, they are so much better. I mean, seriously, I can't ride a bike for poo poo in GTA 4, I guess just chalk that up to the FOB Slav that's trying to drive the thing, versus a legit biker gang member. I haven't fallen off the bike a single time because of a crash in TLAD, partly because I hardly ever crash because the bikes handle so much better. Except the time I flipped over backwards and got mashed by the bike, but that was just me being an idiot.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ChuckDHead posted:

I highly suggest TLAD, bro. TLAD tightened the bike controls, and I rarely ever flew off. It also has better pacing, more interesting side activities, probably the best GTA story, and and more. It's just all around great fun and GTAIV done right.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

ChuckDHead posted:

I'm starting to think all the love for Vice City can simply be boiled down to people liking neon lights. Either way though, they fixed the bikes a lot in Lost and Damned (they did suck in gta4 I admit) and those fixes carried over to Gay Tony so feel free to give that a try.

Also I think pushing people down stairs should have been a mini game. Why can't Saint's Row just be an expansion pack for GTA that ads a bunch of wacky minigames?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ChuckDHead posted:

Gay Tony is OK mostly because the missions are entertaining with interesting characters, but at it's core, it's still DLC and as such is pretty short.

The side game stuff is marginally more interesting than the base GTA4, but after you do one drug gang mission (it's basically an enemy shoot-out gauntlet) you've more or less done the other 50, and it's the same with the base jumping stuff. The same task done with 50 degrees of difficulty. The lovely seagulls thing is back too.

There's a fight club, which again, is just the same thing that increases in difficulty and then there's a boring as gently caress nightclub bouncer job that you keep getting harassed about via phone.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
I like SA and IV the same. Does that make me some kinda freak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
GTAIV is really a more "make your own fun" type of game. I think there's more to do in IV because you can do whatever you want and just mess with the physics or the AI. Maybe you think the previous games had more to do because the game provided more things to do, but most of those were boring. A dumb dancing minigame, crappy pool, collect things, rampages. Make up your own rampages, who cares about a score. Run people over, fight people. There are plenty of places in IV where you can just mess around and have fun. Pretty much all you can do in the 3 era games is do the dumb side games and then point your gun at people and they die, then the cops show up and they die. Euphoria and Havok make IV amazing.

• Locked thread