Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

I very rarely paint straight from the pot, but for when I do, I have an old brush cap/tube thingy knocking around

:science:
Great minds think alike. I use matchsticks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I paint out of the pot sometimes, but I am not really an awesome painter. More of a 'get it done' painter. It's cool Fix, we can be pot-painter bros!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Having a go at yellow for the first time

Not sure about it tbh

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fix posted:

Feelin a bit less like a dirtbag for painting from the occasional pot when I hear awesome painters do it.

I am the worst Ham and I do it almost exclusively, unless I'm mixing colors or I spilled some, in which case I paint from my desk :shepface:

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Fyrbrand posted:

Man how the hell did I forget Frostbite? Another awesome color. I hadn't considered it for Marines but yeah it sounds great for painting iconography and stuff on them.

Yeah, Shadow Grey as the base, then Frostbite as the highlight and morrow/skull white for the edges works a treat.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Yeah, Shadow Grey as the base, then Frostbite as the highlight and morrow/skull white for the edges works a treat.

Thanks, I'll give that a whirl sometime.

Also came to post this. Holy poo poo the blends on the monoliths. :pwn: Whole army is cool but that in particular stuck out.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Bhyo posted:

Having a go at yellow for the first time

Not sure about it tbh

Hell yes =][=nquisitor models

ps yellow is one of those colors that looks like garbage until you're finished, don't worry too much about it

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
It's quite mustard, which isn't bad at all.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Anyone have a link to the "beach Necrons" converted army floating around? The only ones I found have dead images.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 2, 2011

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I didn't like the idea of doing the same camo as every other WWII Nazi German enthusiast war gamer so I tried painting another German pattern I've seen.

How do I make those yellow stripes cleaner? I tried using a fairly large brush at first before switching to a smaller one and I think the bigger brush gave me better results (the green on the background tank was painted using the big brush).

Also I'm thinking of not using yellow even though it seems to be a commonly used color for German Armor.

Edit: its 15mm and from a "standing over the table" viewpoint it looks good.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 2, 2011

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

Paint the yellow first and then fill in with the green? Then there's always this method http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKxwsKoDCwE

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

If you aren't willing to shell out big money for one of the bigger vallejo game colour sets, try shopping around on ebay for 20 pot deals, particularly out of the UK. Even with shipping, I was able to get 20 pots of my choosing for about $60, which is an absolute steal compared to GW paints.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Has anyone painted their dreadfleet? I'm putting together a painted dreadfleet showcase for a blog post. Ofc won't be claiming the painting is mine!

Edit: Doesn't have to be the whole Dreadfleet, just anything you've done that you like :)

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

FiendishThingy posted:

Paint the yellow first and then fill in with the green? Then there's always this method http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKxwsKoDCwE

Dammit why didn't I think of that. I can undercoat the model with the bright color, then use the putty where I want the yellow lines and then alternate the brown and green between them.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Numlock posted:

Dammit why didn't I think of that. I can undercoat the model with the bright color, then use the putty where I want the yellow lines and then alternate the brown and green between them.

Blu-tac/poster tack works as well.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I finally got around to getting a co2 cannister and regulator for my airbrush. Welding guy treated it like he was working with high explosives. Wasn't sure if the airbrush hose would hold or something. Kind of funny.

One thing I never bothered with when using the compressor (or even know how to adjust) was the psi. What's the suggested psi for airbrushing? I'm guessing somewhere around 12-15 psi for most work?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

The Saddest Robot posted:

I finally got around to getting a co2 cannister and regulator for my airbrush. Welding guy treated it like he was working with high explosives. Wasn't sure if the airbrush hose would hold or something. Kind of funny.

One thing I never bothered with when using the compressor (or even know how to adjust) was the psi. What's the suggested psi for airbrushing? I'm guessing somewhere around 12-15 psi for most work?

15-25 is the typical range, never above 30.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Numlock posted:

How do I make those yellow stripes cleaner? I tried using a fairly large brush at first before switching to a smaller one and I think the bigger brush gave me better results (the green on the background tank was painted using the big brush).

Actually I wouldn't make them much cleaner. It might be not as pleasing to the eye as a spray painted camo, but during the war a lot of times the German tank crews just got a bucket of paint and a broom.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Painting genius thread, I would appreciate it if anyone could take a guess at how the red/black marbling effect was achieved on the armour plates of this model:

It looks awesome and I would like to replicate it, but I don't know how. I figure it might have something to do with washes, but even then I'm not sure exactly how.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Skarsnik posted:

also whilst I've got the photo handy, pots through the ages..

The hex pots are the best. I have a pot of metallic green Citadel paint in one of those that is still just as fresh as it was new, meanwhile most of my other pots dried up.

Chet AwesomeLaser
Sep 11, 2004

9 out 10 dentists agree...

AgentF posted:

Painting genius thread, I would appreciate it if anyone could take a guess at how the red/black marbling effect was achieved on the armour plates of this model:

It looks awesome and I would like to replicate it, but I don't know how. I figure it might have something to do with washes, but even then I'm not sure exactly how.

My guess would be using a small sponge/foam piece to dab on some of the paint to achieve the look. Then going over that with highlights.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
It almost looks like they've stippled babdab black over the red. Then as chet said re did the highlighting.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

If anyone wants to read a long rambling post where I obsess about color choices that ultimately don't mean poo poo, I've just contributed to my friend's painting/gaming blog smurfs in space. He posts his pretty sweet Ultramarines as he paints them, and I post about anything but Ultramarines.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Finally got my finished models back from the caster.

Size comparison. Tau suit on the side, SM scout in front. Infinity Marut at the back.

Also works with the Tau weapons.

If you're interested in buying, more info on my website/online store:
http://z4miniatures.blogspot.com/2011/11/pendekar-battlesuit-released.html

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

I know you work hard on these and I appreciate that it is hard to do and that I could never do it, but that new bot totally has a wang. The last one had a pretty substantial cod-piece, but the new guy even has a bell end on his. I can't avoid seeing it. Other than that, great job I hope you sell a hundred of them before Christmas.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 3, 2011

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Size comparison. Tau suit on the side, SM scout in front. Infinity Marut at the back.

Haro cockpit?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Indolent Bastard posted:

I know you work hard on these and I appreciate that it is hard to do and that I could never do it, but that new bot totally has a wang. The last one had a pretty substantial cod-piece, but the new guy even has a bell end on his. I can't avoid seeing it. Other than that, great job I hope you sell a hundred of them before Christmas.

<<<<< Look at my avatar. Also :roboluv:, I was there when it happened.

Does it really come as *that* much of a surprise? :smith:

Mango Polo posted:

Haro cockpit?

Oh yes... :3

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

I can't unsee this now.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Flipswitch posted:

I can't unsee this now.

Yet somehow I think this makes me want one just a little bit more.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

First thing I saw too

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So I've been been painting a lot in the past few days! I finished up some honor guard for my Crimson Fists:

Chapter champion with relic blade:

This dude's my favorite:

And this guy's pretty cool too:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Z the IVth posted:

Why did you give a battlesuit a dick?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
So it can gently caress you better.

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006

SRM posted:

So I've been been painting a lot in the past few days! I finished up some honor guard for my Crimson Fists:

Did you do the etching on the blade? Or did that come pre-engraved?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
The suits look awesome. Also:

Q:

Bhyo posted:

Why did you give a battlesuit a dick?

A:

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

Indolent Bastard posted:

HOLY poo poo IT'S LIKE THE FED EX ARROW. CANNOT UNSEE. :aaa:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Flying Guillotine posted:

HOLY poo poo IT'S LIKE THE FED EX ARROW. CANNOT UNSEE. :aaa:

:frogsiren:DONGBOT GOON OFFER:frogsiren:

10% off (refunded to your Paypal) any order of the dongbot if you e-mail me after your order telling me you're a goon.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sivlan posted:

Did you do the etching on the blade? Or did that come pre-engraved?

It comes pre-engraved, but the detail wasn't very deep on my model. I just painted the midsection of the sword, washed it black a couple times, then painted around the lettering.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Good looking Fists you got there, homie. Did you sculpt the cloaks on those 2 bare headed dudes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Z the IVth posted:

Also works with the Tau weapons.

If you're interested in buying, more info on my website/online store:
http://z4miniatures.blogspot.com/2011/11/pendekar-battlesuit-released.html

These came out great, i might have to order a couple dickbots

• Locked thread