Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I don't remember his book getting any promotion at all other than his constant pleading on twitter for people to give the book a try. Did WWE plug his book at all?

What makes matters worse is that Foley released a book while with another wrestling company and they plugged it quite a few times on air.

They actually gave him a small push before it was released. They then dropped it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Quarex posted:

Before I get into quoting, this has been in my mind lately: what active-by-the-1980s wrestler holds up the best in the ring? Is it Sting? Clearly it is Scott Steiner. Obviously this is totally subjective, and someone like Abdullah the Butcher probably holds up great since as far as I can tell he never did anything too taxing anyway, but you know what I mean. Terry Funk clearly moves with the same grace as he did in 1981.

Ricky Steamboat looked pretty good at WrestleMania 25 & Backlash of that year for a 55+ year old guy.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Bearnt! posted:

Ricky Steamboat looked pretty good at WrestleMania 25 & Backlash of that year for a 55+ year old guy.

And then stroke.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

WeaselWeaz posted:

They actually gave him a small push before it was released. They then dropped it.

Didn't he get injured?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Didn't he get injured?

Tore his rotator cuff, I want to say? I know it was right around the time. In fact, I think it legit was like a week before his book released.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Didn't he get injured?

And then he became an agent, and WWE decided that if you are an agent you can't be a wrestler and he vanished from tv.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

apsouthern posted:

Finlay as well, and I saw Dave Taylor wrestle earlier this year and he can still put on a good match. I suppose the UK World of Sport style is a lot easier to keep up than anything more acrobatic

I think we have to agree that Johnny Saint is the best wrestler from the 1950s still working.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lamuella posted:

I think we have to agree that Johnny Saint is the best wrestler from the 1950s still working.

I certainly hope he's the only one as well!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Pretty sure Matt Classic is the best guy from the 50s still working.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I certainly hope he's the only one as well!

Was gonna say no, but apparently Gypsy Joe's retired?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Gaz-L posted:

Was gonna say no, but apparently Gypsy Joe's retired?
Johnny Saint still has another 7 years just to tie his years active, without counting the decade he didn't work at all.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

There were breaks, but Lou Thesz wrestled in 1932 and 1990. That's impressive.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Does Mae Young being squashed by 3 Minute Warning count as wrestling a match?

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

DannoMack posted:

Does Mae Young being squashed by 3 Minute Warning count as wrestling a match?

She had a match involving LayCool I believe at the Old School RAW last year.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Hirams Bitch posted:

She had a match involving LayCool I believe at the Old School RAW last year.

yea she called them dirty names too

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Not really a question but just some news

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2011/11/wrestling_over_use_of_some_old.php

quote:

Wrestling fans 'round these parts remember the song "Badstreet U.S.A." -- and if you don't, you will. Riiiight -- it was the theme song for Michael Hayes (who handles the, um, vocals?) and The Fabulous Freebirds, hated rivals of Kevin, David and Kerry Von Erich back in the glory days of Channel 39 and Jack Adkisson's World Class Championship Wrestling at the old Sportatorium. Long story short: That song, along with the immortal "Freebird Forever," was written by one James Papa, who, turns out, lives in Irving. And BMI confirms: Papa wrote a number of theme songs on behalf of pro wrestlers back in the 1980s. For Ron Simmons, Papa offered "Don't Step to Ron"; for Cactus Jack, "Mr. Bang Bang"; for Rick Rude, "Simply Ravishing"; for Marc Mero, "Johnny B. Badd." There's more, but you get it.

Point is: In Dallas federal court yesterday, Papa filed suit against a North Carolina-based website, HighSpots.com, that specializes in all things wrestling -- including DVDs from the WCCW days, among them a few curious Von Erichs best-ofs. A lot of Papa's music is contained on those old videos, and Papa's unhappy about that: "These matches begin with each wrestler or team of wrestlers entering the ring to their 'introduction' music," says the suit. "Many of Plaintiff's original musical creations were used by these wrestlers for their live performances as well as the televised versions. The videos Defendant is selling contain Plaintiff's original music."

Then there's the other issue: The website's use of the "Badstreet U.S.A." logo, to which Papa says he owns the trademark. Again, not cool -- hence the suit, alleging trademark infringement, copyright infringement and violation of the Lanham Act.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I asked in the Indy thread, but what effect will the Juggalos being designated a gang by the FBI have on JCW?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

I asked in the Indy thread, but what effect will the Juggalos being designated a gang by the FBI have on JCW?

None provided they don't commit any organized crime?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Oatgan posted:

According to the FBI, they do. No, seriously, it's on their website.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Oatgan posted:

Here's the GBS thread about it:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3446896

It's possible that they could see The Gathering as a criminal meeting (or whatever the correct term for it is, I'm Canadian and have no idea how the FBI works or how they manage to catch criminals without being on horseback like our Mounties), so I'm just wondering if it'd have any implications with JCW. A wrestling organization that is explicitly organized, funded, and endorsed by a criminal enterprise might be a little objectionable to some.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's possible that they could see The Gathering as a criminal meeting (or whatever the correct term for it is, I'm Canadian and have no idea how the FBI works or how they manage to catch criminals without being on horseback like our Mounties), so I'm just wondering if it'd have any implications with JCW. A wrestling organization that is explicitly organized, funded, and endorsed by a criminal enterprise might be a little objectionable to some.
But it's the social norm in Japan, so I guess the ICP are taking a road trip to compete with the Yakuza!

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Well, in theory the Juggalos are a gang, but the ICP performers (who own and operate JCW) wouldn't necessarily be a criminal enterprise themselves.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

battlemonk posted:

Well, in theory the Juggalos are a gang, but the ICP performers (who own and operate JCW) wouldn't necessarily be a criminal enterprise themselves.
I still think it's kind of cool that now America official has gang leaders that are clowns. Detroit is like Gotham City, now.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Officer Colt Cabana will stop those unruly gang bangers.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Flameingblack posted:

I still think it's kind of cool that now America official has gang leaders that are clowns. Detroit is like Gotham City, now.

On the other hand, ICP's already unbearable persecution complex will get even worse now. Juggalos are worse than Republicans when it comes to that.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Is it even really a persecution complex when juggalos are looked at as human garbage by pretty much everybody who has heard of them?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CombineThresher posted:

On the other hand, ICP's already unbearable persecution complex will get even worse now. Juggalos are worse than Republicans when it comes to that.

It's honestly the very same persecution complex that metal fans have and goth fans have and country music fans living nowhere near Nashville have.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Not really a question but just some news

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2011/11/wrestling_over_use_of_some_old.php

As an aside, I've never seen a news article take longer to get to the point.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Surely Highspots would have actually made some effort to make sure they had the right to sell products that included music and logos under copyright? Or is this a case of a small company that didn't bother/didn't know about things like that and thought they could just operate with impunity and have only gotten away with it because they were fairly small/under the radar in the greater scheme of things?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Quarex posted:

I would like you to know that I have busted out laughing multiple times at the mere thought of this exchange. Thank you both very much.

Unexpectedly finding something I've said quoted months later (and with such praise, nonetheless) is a delightful feeling. You are welcome.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

This may have been already posted, but did Meng/Haku legit bite someone's nose off in a bar fight? Also remember hearing he gouged out someone's eye backstage because he got taunted by the guy or something.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

without obviously wanting specific figures or anything, how much does a full time worker (let's say midcard) in New Japan or All Japan make compared to a full time midcarder in WWE or TNA?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Don't know about Japan, but from what I've seen posted here before a full time mid carder in WWE is probably taking home six figures a year, while a full time mid carder in TNA is realistically making anywhere between 30 and 50 grand a year. You also get a bunch of bonuses in WWE you don't get in TNA.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I know we can't post links to streams & torrents, but are we allowed to discuss whether or not we take part in that sort of thing at all?

The reason I ask is that I'd be curious to see who actually pays for stuff vs. who downloads, what pushes fans to actually pay money when they can get it for free, stuff like that. But I don't want to get a bunch of people banned if they admit to streaming TNA ppvs or something.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I'm still surprised that the WWE didn't launch their network as a glorified netflicks que.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
It used to be hard for me to pay when I didn't have a good job so I'd just wait for one friend to order the PPV and a bunch of us would go over to watch it and split the tab. Nowadays it's harder to get people together since I moved away from my wrestling friends but if a PPV is something I gotta watch, like Destination-X, I'll drop the $40 for it. I tend to do it on weekends I didn't go out so instead of heading downtown and drinking myself silly I'm watching a wrestling pay per view... and drinking myself silly.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

triplexpac posted:

I know we can't post links to streams & torrents, but are we allowed to discuss whether or not we take part in that sort of thing at all?

I am not sure as the rules thread doesn't cover this at all. However, I imagine this sort of talk would be discouraged.

Where are you HulkaMatt? Flashing the Hulk Signal!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I am not sure as the rules thread doesn't cover this at all. However, I imagine this sort of talk would be discouraged.

Where are you HulkaMatt? Flashing the Hulk Signal!

Yeah it seems like the kind of thing that is in a grey area. Listening to the interview with Gabe this morning made me very interested in wrestling piracy though, I think it would be an interesting discussion. I just also don't think it's necessarily worth it if everyone is like "well my FRIEND pirates all the TNA shows because..."

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

thesteelhellion posted:

This may have been already posted, but did Meng/Haku legit bite someone's nose off in a bar fight? Also remember hearing he gouged out someone's eye backstage because he got taunted by the guy or something.
He confirmed the nose biting story a month or so ago. He was drunk and the guy wanted to start something thinking nothing would happen because he had friends with him. He was wrong.

The eye gouging was done to Jimmy Jack Funk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

triplexpac posted:

Yeah it seems like the kind of thing that is in a grey area. Listening to the interview with Gabe this morning made me very interested in wrestling piracy though, I think it would be an interesting discussion. I just also don't think it's necessarily worth it if everyone is like "well my FRIEND pirates all the TNA shows because..."

Basically my thoughts. Steiner pogoing should bring Hulka by any minute now, though.