Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

No, because us Canadians don't like to be lumped in with the pro-life, patriotic and religious idiots that make up "the States". It is pretty offensive.

Hey! Most Americans aren't Tea Partiers, thank you very much! <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Viola the Mad posted:

Hey! Most Americans aren't Tea Partiers, thank you very much! <:mad:>

Still, too much shire, not enough cleansing thereof.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Pity all the links there are dead.

Oh, oops! Then here is the whole saga (missing chapter 7 though :() in one. Sorry 'bout that!

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

No, because us Canadians don't like to be lumped in with the pro-life, patriotic and religious idiots that make up "the States". It is pretty offensive.

See I can understand that. I'm Scottish and the ammount of times I've had to grin and bear it, then explain, when a visitor refers to somewhere in Scotland as "part of England" is unreal. It's really annoying when someone doesn't take the time to learn really basic information about a country. It shouldn't be a big deal but it can sometimes feel quite personal

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Figaro posted:

See I can understand that. I'm Scottish and the ammount of times I've had to grin and bear it, then explain, when a visitor refers to somewhere in Scotland as "part of England" is unreal. It's really annoying when someone doesn't take the time to learn really basic information about a country. It shouldn't be a big deal but it can sometimes feel quite personal
I'd say that really depends on what kind of trip the tourist is on. I remember a thread on SA from a few years back where people seriously got offended that somebody who went to visit Prague for 3 days on a trip around Europe hadn't studied the language.

When you come from Germany, for some people you'll always be a Bavarian stereotype. All my Spanish friends apparently dance flamenco, at least according to tourists. Based on all that I'd say the phenomenon of people being lumped in with the most well known group from their country is probably international.

In that Canadian case I'd say being taken for somebody from another country and thinking that this is offensive because people from that country are apparently somehow subhuman kinda even each other out.

It can only be offensive if it's intentional.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~

All of those things are pretty much everywhere, and definitely in Canada. I hear the astral plane has really moved beyond all of that, though.

Morzox
Oct 29, 2011

FEAR FOR YOUR SOUL

People in "the States" don't like to be lumped together like that either, my northern bro. :tipshat:

To try and steer this back on course, we've noticed a common flaw these delusional people tend to have is that they often don't seem to actually know a lot about the culture they idolize. More to the heart of the thread, I'll ask a question:

Just how WILLFULLY ignorant were some of these people? Like, would they try to rewrite history in their minds to ignore significant flaws from the culture they worshiped? If you tried to prove to them that their romantic vision of the country was in any way flawed, what lengths would they go to defend it?

Edit: To generalize it a bit more, how did some of these other people respond to factual reality whenever you or someone else tried to slap them in the face with it?

Morzox fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 2, 2011

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Figaro posted:

For many people UK=England and the terms are interchangeable. Scotland has 5 million people. There are probably nations of 20+ million people that your average true scotsman :P knows dick all about.

Yes you should do some basic geography before you go on tour somewhere but its kind of unreasonable to expect your average tourist to have much knowledge about petty regional semantics.

They are coming to see your lands and spend their tourist bucks in them....soooo be thankful for that. :)

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

The Worst Unicorn posted:

All of those things are pretty much everywhere, and definitely in Canada. I hear the astral plane has really moved beyond all of that, though.

You've never been mistaken as an American overseas then have you? Once people hear the accent and assume you're American, they treat you like poo poo. I've had people glare at me until I say something about Canada, and then they're all sweet and "Oh you're Canadian!"

You also have to factor in that the US affects Canada negatively with their politics and values. We are literally living next door to a country which has stuff like the Mississippi Personhood Amendment, and where people picket abortion clinics (and try to blow them up or shoot the doctors). Canada is vastly different from the States, and saying that we shouldn't be upset is pretty ignorant. Even the vast amounts of sane people in the States hate being lumped in with these people, but still have that stereotype.

We're not demanding you learn an entire language, eat poutine for every meal and join a hockey team if you visit Canada for even a minute. We're asking you to recognize we actually are a different group of people/culture that's not "American."

Anyway, I'll add in a story to offset my out of place rant.

My friend, the Mormon Anime who never learnt how to use a condom.

I met this girl in grade 10 at school. The only friend I had met her in the library when they were reading translated asian comics together, and introduced us. She had an entire cabinet filled with anime her parents had bought her and drew (ie traced) anime pictures. Since I was lonely, and liked anime myself, we became best friends for a while.

Her dad worked with some company going around the world doing IT stuff or some sort of machine programming. This meant he was never home, but always had lots of money - which would get spent on her and her anime. Did I also mention they were Mormon? Although the house they lived in was pretty small, it didn't matter as the oldest brother went off for 3 years and try to convert First Nations (Canadian "indians") to mormonism in a different province. Classy.

Between being able to watch her anime with her whenever, and getting trashbags *full* of clothes her mother bought her and she no longer wanted, I clung to her like a leech. Then, I decided to introduce her to a guy I met online since he liked anime too.

He ended up visiting her for a week (living in her house with her parents???) and started calling me a whore, that my friend really hated me and that she couldn't wait for me to piss off. I started distancing myself from them when she started talking about how she wanted to marry this guy.

Within a few months she was online dating a new guy. We were graduating highschool and she was telling me that she was going to marry this new guy instead - he was going to be a professor at the university he was at when he graduated (yeah right). Then I left for college the first time round and poo poo got weird.

We met up for lunch when I returned to visit on the holidays 2 or 3 years later and she told me what she had been up to. Her "boyfriend" visited and they had unprotected sex, so she had to get an abortion. Then it happened again on another trip. And when she went down to visit him. She didn't even know what the procedures were for abortions, just that she went in and asked them to put her under the first few times, and now she was going to take a pill that "made it really hurt but it's cheaper." Then she told me that she and him were characters in an anime that was sort of like Bleach or Naruto, but she couldn't marry him like the characters where in the show because she couldn't become an American citizen (no job, didn't graduate highschool, nothing.) She was also quite happy to say that they were taking their relationship to a new level by her giving him blowjobs with no condoms on...SO HOW WAS SHE GETTING PREGNANT SO OFTEN?

I then stopped talking to her forever. I sometimes wonder how the gently caress someone who knows how to put a condom on didn't for actual intercourse, but did for blowjobs.

Cataphract Paladin
Sep 17, 2011
^ I am getting a gut feeling that said "friend" of yours had been taken advantaged of. Not that she could blame anyone, but still.

rhinos
Oct 28, 2009

Enemies Everywhere
Gogogo
I will destroy you

The Worst Unicorn posted:

No you're wrong, Canada is the Nippon of the west.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

I sometimes wonder how the gently caress someone who knows how to put a condom on didn't for actual intercourse, but did for blowjobs.

Did I also mention they were Mormon?

I'm somewhat surprised that she didn't end up carrying the pregnancies to term, given that Mormonism is about having thousands of kids...

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Cataphract Paladin posted:

^ I am getting a gut feeling that said "friend" of yours had been taken advantaged of. Not that she could blame anyone, but still.

I don't think she was. She might have mentioned once before that she hated how condoms felt, but it would make sense she would avoid using them like that. Still weird.

Hedera Helix posted:

I'm somewhat surprised that she didn't end up carrying the pregnancies to term, given that Mormonism is about having thousands of kids...

Not when you're living at home with mom and dad when you're 25! (and unmarried)

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

THE LUMMOX posted:

For many people UK=England and the terms are interchangeable. Scotland has 5 million people. There are probably nations of 20+ million people that your average true scotsman :P knows dick all about.

Yes you should do some basic geography before you go on tour somewhere but its kind of unreasonable to expect your average tourist to have much knowledge about petty regional semantics.

It's kind of bigger than "petty regional semantics" given that the Prime Minister of Scotland belongs to a party which is actively campaigning for independence from English rule and that the cultures and accents are pretty hugely distinct. Scotland's a colony working pretty hard to be recognized as an independent nation and going "meh, it's little so you shouldn't be offended if someone knows dick-all about its national identity" trivializes that. It'd be like saying to someone from The Ukraine "Oh, you're Ukrainian! That's part of Russia, isn't it?"

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

The Triumphant posted:

It's kind of bigger than "petty regional semantics" given that the Prime Minister of Scotland belongs to a party which is actively campaigning for independence from English rule and that the cultures and accents are pretty hugely distinct. Scotland's a colony working pretty hard to be recognized as an independent nation and going "meh, it's little so you shouldn't be offended if someone knows dick-all about its national identity" trivializes that. It'd be like saying to someone from The Ukraine "Oh, you're Ukrainian! That's part of Russia, isn't it?"

Or it'd be like not realizing it's just called "Ukraine" and not "The Ukraine".

There are always people who know less than you and people who know more. Don't pretend that your knowledge is or should be universal.

Cataphract Paladin
Sep 17, 2011
Could we leave it at that the average tourist is often likely to unintentionally insult his host with his knowledge or lack thereof about the local political background and the various things associated with it, and move on back to the topic?

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Could we leave it at that the average tourist is often likely to unintentionally insult his host with his knowledge or lack thereof about the local political background and the various things associated with it, and move on back to the topic?

Thank you, I was getting bothered by this too. I would also prefer people leave politics at the door and talk about people they knew who were way too into anime and believed they were queens in alternate universes and poo poo

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:
Wow, a big pile of new posts. I wonder if uglynoodles is back at last? :dance:

Oh, it's just a bunch of bellends talking about Canada.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Sir Prancelot posted:

Wow, a big pile of new posts. I wonder if uglynoodles is back at last? :dance:

Oh, it's just a bunch of bellends talking about Canada.

Noodles is working on a new post as she said a page ago. You have to let the madness simmer properly.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Figaro posted:

I feel you man, I wouldn't want anything to do with England either.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

We are literally living next door to a country which has stuff like the Mississippi Personhood Amendment, and where people picket abortion clinics (and try to blow them up or shoot the doctors).

Are you seriously trying to claim that there isn't a strong pro-life movement in Canada or that people don't picket abortion clinics there? Or that no one has ever tried to blow up abortion clinics in Canada? :psyduck:

I have a feeling a lot of Canadians would be offended by being "lumped in" with a dumbass like yourself.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It got lost in the whole Canada/America talk, but are Uglynoodles/mods/thread comfortable with me continuing stories of the India-obsessed girl in here? Interest doesn't seem to be significant enough to start a new thread, but I can do that if you all prefer me to.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

It got lost in the whole Canada/America talk, but are Uglynoodles/mods/thread comfortable with me continuing stories of the India-obsessed girl in here? Interest doesn't seem to be significant enough to start a new thread, but I can do that if you all prefer me to.

Not sure about everyone else in the thread, but I want to hear all about Henriette (it makes me feel better that there's people worse than my friends fiance out there).

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Please do.* Your stories have been entertaining too and I'd like to hear more (as well as more stories from everyone know knew That Delusional Kid.

She's pretty crazy and it's still pretty well on-topic compared to America Vs. Canada or Goons Opinion On British Food.

* by "Please do", I mean keep posting them. No need to start a new thread, chuck 'em in here

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 2, 2011

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Please do.

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

Kajeesus posted:

Why in blue blazes would that offend you? You're just as American as a Mexican or Brazilian person would be. It's not our fault that the States decided that they were apparently the sole nationality on the continent(s) and didn't need a nation-specific pronoun.
From what I've seen, "American" is used by people in the UK and its former colonies to refer to people/things from the US, while people from many other regions (especially those where Spanish is the major language) use it to refer to people/things from North and South America.

People seem to attribute the English-language use of "American" to the stereotypical extreme arrogance of people from the US. But if you look at it historically from the perspective of English-speaking countries, I think it makes sense that "American" would refer to an English-speaking country that's independent of Great Britain and is located in North or South America. Also, I'm pretty sure that "American" in this sense is really short for "United States of American," which is pretty awkward to write or say.

Anyway, I hope I'm not making GBS threads up the thread by being the person who writes about how words have different meanings in different languages or regions.

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 2, 2011

tifosibella
Aug 17, 2005

captian r u gay

You've never been mistaken as an American overseas then have you? Once people hear the accent and assume you're American, they treat you like poo poo. I've had people glare at me until I say something about Canada, and then they're all sweet and "Oh you're Canadian!"

From my experience as an American who has lived and traveled overseas and had no problems whatsoever, it's usually only Americans who are loud and obnoxious that they dislike. Judging from your posts I'm going to bet they saw you being a douchebag and just assumed you were American. I know it's hard to imagine a pleasant individual such as yourself being treated like a disruptive oaf, but there you have it. Also there's a huge pro-life movement in Canada and it's hardly our fault. Sorry about your ignorance.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I cannot wait for more Denise! That goes for you, too, The Saddest Rhino! The actual thread topic is amazing.

edit: Horrible Smutbeast, I suppose it's fair to allow that perhaps you just ran into some people who were just as judgmental and rude as you are, but I dunno.

tifosibella fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 2, 2011

Lezzie Borden
Jul 20, 2011
Er, Mormon missions are for two years, not three.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

For the love of God keep posting so we can get more crazy and less of Canada talk.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Earwicker posted:

I have a feeling a lot of Canadians would be offended by being "lumped in" with a dumbass like yourself.

Aight buddy, have fun with that.

Pancakes McGee posted:

Er, Mormon missions are for two years, not three.

Yeah, this guy was really, really devoted. I imagine you'd have to be to want to go onto First Nations reserves and basically tell them to give up their heritage/culture to go hang out with the crazies that believe you're a savage needing salvation. From what little I knew, he was actually sleeping in someone's spare room and working for the church as extra, so that's probably what the extra year was for. I do know that he went and saved up over 15k just to do that trip, and that was after his parents paid for all his expenses. That money was just for him to use on whatever he felt he needed.

They also did those sorts of things for his sister (my ex friend) and that's probably why she turned out the way she did. She had 4 brand new phones her dad bought her when I last talked to her, but refused to use all of them because they weren't the new iphone. On top of that, he would buy her a new gaming laptop every year (talking about 2k at the least), thousands of dollars of clothes, and take out almost once a day. Her family was really nice to me, but you could tell that they didn't want to deal with any of her serious "I'm an animes" problems and just threw money at her.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Aight buddy, have fun with that.

Yeah, this guy was really, really devoted. I imagine you'd have to be to want to go onto First Nations reserves and basically tell them to give up their heritage/culture to go hang out with the crazies that believe you're a savage needing salvation. From what little I knew, he was actually sleeping in someone's spare room and working for the church as extra, so that's probably what the extra year was for. I do know that he went and saved up over 15k just to do that trip, and that was after his parents paid for all his expenses. That money was just for him to use on whatever he felt he needed.

They also did those sorts of things for his sister (my ex friend) and that's probably why she turned out the way she did. She had 4 brand new phones her dad bought her when I last talked to her, but refused to use all of them because they weren't the new iphone. On top of that, he would buy her a new gaming laptop every year (talking about 2k at the least), thousands of dollars of clothes, and take out almost once a day. Her family was really nice to me, but you could tell that they didn't want to deal with any of her serious "I'm an animes" problems and just threw money at her.

I wonder how much of this can be traced back to the parents? Your friend was given whatever electronics she wanted, George bought tons of anime for Denise, and in both cases, that only made their delusions (and sense of entitlement) worse. Did the same thing happen with other crazypants people?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

This derail in US/Canada bilateral relations means no more chat and speculation on crazy anime girls.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Zeta Taskforce posted:

This derail in US/Canada bilateral relations means no more chat and speculation on crazy anime girls.

I don't know what to post anymore! One mod tried to continue the derail, and the other is laying down the law like a porisumanu (that means policeman in japanese!)! You two must be soul bonded to Ichigo and Rukia from Bleach - Will you two donate to my webpage so I can bless you and awake your inner animes so you can live together in a kawaii (that means cute!) spiritual marriage!? Uguuuu!!!! (that means cute too!)

Hedera Helix posted:

I wonder how much of this can be traced back to the parents? Your friend was given whatever electronics she wanted, George bought tons of anime for Denise, and in both cases, that only made their delusions (and sense of entitlement) worse. Did the same thing happen with other crazypants people?

I don't think it's so much the parents ignoring the person completely, as the person in my story definitely pushed them as far out of her life as she possibly could while still receiving monetary/emotional benefits. Most parents just want to make their kids happy. I doubt they ever thought that buying them dvds of those japanamations would ever lead to them actually believing in being an anime character. When they would look at her anime drawings, they just saw blue haired chicks holding hands with some guy that was from one of her videogames. She never would tell them it was supposed to be her, and the little flames around her character were the spirits of her babies she had aborted (but it was okay because their souls there and her boyfriend/husband still loves her and them!)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
He means don't speculate about stuff we don't know about them and laugh at the funny/horrible stuff they actually do.

I never had a crazy anime person in my life but I did have a crazy pansexual, meth-addict satanist who I let talk to me for far too long. Shortly after the London train bombing, he spray painted "Allah Akbar" all over town to "really piss people off" and was convinced his band was going to take off tommorrow, really guys we're just about to make it big. He could read auras and by amazing coincidence, everyone he didn't like had a "dark aura". Or possible a light aura. I don't know. Whichever aura he didn't like. He was so desperate to be hated but at the end of the day, noone gave a drat.

He was also an "energy vampire", though he never explained what that was. A quick google search reveals a whole lot of crazy, though.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 3, 2011

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Sorry for the wait guys and I know this is kind of a short one, but the next two are reeeeeally long.

Denise Across the Country

Three years ago I was getting my poo poo together to shift over to another continent to be with my true love forever (who is also a goon, actually. No that's not how we met.) But that's beside the point. What is the point is I was living in a city with a friend of mine in order to raise a bit of money and be within the vicinity of one of the embassies I had to visit in person to make this poo poo happen and get all my papers stamped.

Kat really wanted to see me before I left the continent, and my friend whom I was staying with (who is forever a saint in my eyes for many, many reasons) allowed her to arrange a visit. Kat still spoke to Denise somewhat regularly at this point and Denise got wind of it. It was at that point that Denise somewhat invited herself along. I can't remember the specifics of it all but it would've been very awkward to refuse her coming along. It might've been a discussion in the earshot of George or something I don't know.

So Denise and Kat arrive and the fun begins! At this point I had been living away from my hometown for some years and they were happy to see me. Well, Kat was. Denise was kind of pissed off at me indirectly because I was raising money through selling my art and was moderately successful at it, all things considering. I was making enough to pay for the expensive papers I needed and food and things like that. Aside from her adventures with beads that I will explain in a minute, Denise was working super hards on a piece for an art contest that she was sure to win. She would say this and talk about how awesome she was, and then in the next breath whine and gripe about how it'd totally never go anywhere and oh-won't-you-compliment-me. She laboured on this for hours, taking frequent breaks, and often talking about her struggles as an artist and how painstaking the detail was.

Denise got it into her head that commissions were an awesome way of making cold hard serious :10bux: but her drawings weren't selling. She figured she was pretty good at making little beaded keychain animals and those might sell, so she began hawking them online at prices that would make even the pretentious premadonnas on etsy.com cringe.

The Bead Adventure coming tomorrow...

quote:

CANADIANIANS! AMARKINS!

Just for my two cents/amusement/whatever, Denise, Kat, and I are all Canadian. :canada:

quote:

Indian Sai Baba Henriette

Oh god, tell me more.

uglynoodles fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 3, 2011

Cataphract Paladin
Sep 17, 2011
Wait, hold on, that's the picture she drew wasn't it? If so, how could you have kept the sketch in such pristine condition after three years?

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Wait, hold on, that's the picture she drew wasn't it? If so, how could you have kept the sketch in such pristine condition after three years?

Because she posted that online, as well as some other work of hers and stereotypical animu cat-boy thing I posted earlier.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

psst: if she was trying to sell her art, some of it may have ended up scanned into a PC or online at some point

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

At least it's better than the last one. Less anatomy to gently caress up, still, those scales...there's a reason that poo poo lies flat on snakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cataphract Paladin
Sep 17, 2011
Ah, I see. I am no adept in the professional art scene, and that shows - apologies for that.

More question: Did this girl attend any art course or anything?

• Locked thread