Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This is what I get for neglecting this thread for a while.

Hussars, go!

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

They would end up following the same route as the last best drat unit in the IS that Goons selected.

You mean having an amazingly rad fight?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
C - Rolling Thunder :black101:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

C, It's time to see something new.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Let's go with C. Kill some Cappies for the future of the Free Worlds League! :black101:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
You can't be serious, we have a chance to do the next best thing to assaulting Hesperus II with Aldo Lestrade riding an Atlas like a wild horse and you vote for anything other then that?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

C - Rolling Thunder :black101:

I want the Clans to lose, and on that basis, the Goons shouldn't play them!

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines
CCCC
C
C
C
CCCC

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

This is an ironic post because I am going to vote C- 1st Regulan Hussars in order to encourage more effortposts like T.G. Xarbala's.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

C only vote A if you intend to lose the fight as the clanners or win as the dracs.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Affi posted:

You can't be serious, we have a chance to do the next best thing to assaulting Hesperus II with Aldo Lestrade riding an Atlas like a wild horse and you vote for anything other then that?

An Awesome Free World's League is the next, better thing. We're voting for strategic awesome, and not some little tactical blip on the radar with a couple stars of Hell's horses landing on Luthien and getting their asses kicked. I also want to know what the gently caress it going on with real Melissa.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Affi posted:

I can understand how the allure of leading a Clan invasion of Luthien must be, but hear me out.

While there's quite a bit of fervor being worked up over Luthien since it's the scenario that PTN gave a lead-in to from the political update, that always happens when one particular scenario choice has more space in the political text. You can tell a lot of newer readers pounced onto that immediately while the BT veterans and the people who've been paying a lot of attention to the running plot in the background saw what PTN was pulling and realized, "Hey, waitaminute, the 1st Regulan Hussars? Fighting a desperate defense against the new and teched-up Capellan invasion? Something's going on here."

For my part, I find the mystery intriguing and want to see it explored. We've been trudging around Lyran and Combine space so long that people are starting to forget that PTN has more up his sleeve than just Atlases and Space Samurai. Let's see the rest of the Inner Sphere get some love for a change. Let's remember the good times back when the thread was still getting started and let's get back to our roots. Let's blow up some Space Chinese, it'll be a hoot! (I'm also part-Chinese American, so I ought to know)

Also I'd rather not see the Clans win quite so easily as a desperado headcapping of the Combine capital. Make them work for their conquest. Show them what it means to fight a real war, not just a Trial of Possession. Give the most honorable 2nd Sword of Light a chance to make them taste steel and fire, I have every confidence that they will do so should Clan Hell's Horses enter the fray without Goonstar support. Grier Siedman will surely have greater plans up his sleeve should this killstrike fail, be patient.

pun pundit posted:

This is an ironic post because I am going to vote C- 1st Regulan Hussars in order to encourage more effortposts like T.G. Xarbala's.

Thanks mate. On two counts. :cheers:

LifeisFleeting
May 10, 2008
Voting C. Good job effort posters, keep it up and you may lure more lurkers out of hiding.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Voting C, I want to see what's going on in the FWL.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
C - The 1st Regulan Hussars because the first time I played Battletech I randomly associated Marik with SPACEAMERICA.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
C. The name of the unit alone sells it. Also the FWL needs some more time to shine.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Guuuuys~, what are you doing?? There'll be plenty of time for Free Worlds League hijinx later, but who knows when/if we'll ever see something like a Battle of Luthien again?

Look at us Solaris people! Even we swallowed our pride and voted for the 'historic' event!

Sair
May 11, 2007

C) 1st Regulan Hussars

Clans are boring.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I can understand how the allure of leading a Clan invasion of Luthien must be, but hear me out.

While there's quite a bit of fervor being worked up over Luthien since it's the scenario that PTN gave a lead-in to from the political update, that always happens when one particular scenario choice has more space in the political text. You can tell a lot of newer readers pounced onto that immediately while the BT veterans and the people who've been paying a lot of attention to the running plot in the background saw what PTN was pulling and realized, "Hey, waitaminute, the 1st Regulan Hussars? Fighting a desperate defense against the new and teched-up Capellan invasion? Something's going on here."

For my part, I find the mystery intriguing and want to see it explored. We've been trudging around Lyran and Combine space so long that people are starting to forget that PTN has more up his sleeve than just Atlases and Space Samurai. Let's see the rest of the Inner Sphere get some love for a change. Let's remember the good times back when the thread was still getting started and let's get back to our roots. Let's blow up some Space Chinese, it'll be a hoot! (I'm also part-Chinese American, so I ought to know)

Also I'd rather not see the Clans win quite so easily as a desperado headcapping of the Combine capital. Make them work for their conquest. Show them what it means to fight a real war, not just a Trial of Possession. Give the most honorable 2nd Sword of Light a chance to make them taste steel and fire, I have every confidence that they will do so should Clan Hell's Horses enter the fray without Goonstar support. Grier Siedman will surely have greater plans up his sleeve should this killstrike fail, be patient.

Thanks mate. On two counts. :cheers:

You make an impassioned argument, and I applaud it. However, if the 1st Regulan Hussars are the only effective FWL combat unit still in that area of space, the FWL is screwed anyway and goonlance's efforts will mean little win or lose.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Voting C. On account of the FWL being the house I know the least about.

Oh and I guess Xarbala deserves reward for the rad effort-post too, that too!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I cannot believe Goonstar has a chance to assault and sack a Inner Sphere capitol world and people are calling it boring.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Gimmick Account posted:

Guuuuys~, what are you doing?? There'll be plenty of time for Free Worlds League hijinx later, but who knows when/if we'll ever see something like a Battle of Luthien again?

Look at us Solaris people! Even we swallowed our pride and voted for the 'historic' event!

Actually:

quote:

With the Free Worlds League’s morale crumbling in the face of a war that has seen no victory in months, the elite Rolling Thunder Company of the 1st Regulan Hussars are all that stand between the Capellans and total victory.

it seems likely that this scenario could change things significantly. There may be no chance for Free Worlds League hijinks later at all.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

landcollector posted:

If the 1st Regulan Hussars are the only effective FWL combat unit still in that area of space, the FWL is screwed anyway and goonlance's efforts will mean little win or lose.

You really think PTN would offer us that choice if winning it would make no difference? I mean, I doubt the Solaris option will have many repercussions but who knows. The only mission so far that doesn't seem to have had much effect was the Far Country one, which was created with input from a contest winner so may be sort of an intermission anyway.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

The best post

Duncan Marik would be proud of this post.

Serril
Dec 31, 2007

Mort Fun Time
voting C

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The only pointless mission is the Solaris mission. Every other mission is making a difference.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Current vote count-
A)33
B)1
C)31
D)1

FWL may pull this off yet.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

NmareBfly posted:

I mean, I doubt the Solaris option will have many repercussions but who knows.

It's amazing what a little morale boost can do for a country in a crisis.

landcollector posted:

Current vote count-

You miscounted a bit. Some people (who will remain nameless) bolded suggestions for other people's votes after having already voted. Which is annoying, and the very reason why I take names rather than just tallying.

VVV No worries. That's the other reason I don't like vote changes, 'cause then I've gotta hunt people's names down.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 3, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's amazing what a little morale boost can do for a country in a crisis.

You miscounted a bit. Some people (who will remain nameless) bolded suggestions for other people's votes after having already voted. Which is annoying, and the very reason why I take names rather than just tallying.

I see. Oh well.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'd also like to note that Rolling Thunder isn't just any company. The 1st Regulan is already crazy and badass, and Rolling Thunder is their Dirty Dozen, twelve of the meanest, craziest dudes in the regiment, sent in when nobody else can win and when all other choices are exhausted.

This is that time. Rolling Thunder has been committed, which means the only way the Capellans are making a single step forward anymore is through them. A single battle can turn the tide of an entire war and now is the time to do it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On the one hand, I hate the Draconis Combine. On the other hand, I like the FWL.

Tough call, and I'll be happy with either.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
C. I want to see what the FWL can do if we keep the Capellans from completely rolling them.

kikaskorpse
Oct 23, 2007
I vote for C) 1st Regulan Hussars

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

We can't just wander away from one of the biggest in-universe turning points and battles. A.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
C. Much as I'd love to see the battle of Luthien...Rolling Thunder must happen.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

C

I'm more interested in seeing what the deal is with the NRWR than a Clan invasion of Luthien.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
After having their culture described in detail, I've really come to dislike the clans. That in mind, I'm going with the Hussars.

As an aside, I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of seeing the entire goddamn inner sphere balkanize.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tempest_56 posted:

We can't just wander away from one of the biggest in-universe turning points and battles.

I agree, but from the other angle. We already know the face of the Clan Invasion, we've seen Battles for Luthien before. Should CHH win, this just means an accelerated Clan invasion timetable. Should the Combine win, this means the CHH invasion corridor will only expand at a slightly slowed rate. While victory in Luthien would certainly cripple the Combine, unless something dramatic swung in their favor the Kuritas were in all likelihood going to fall anyway. A vote for "A" is just speeding up the inevitable.

On the other hand most of the more far-reaching changes to the Inner Sphere PTN has in store are loaded into the FWL. They're no longer the uninteresting filler faction they were in canon. By all rights, PTN has made the Free Worlds League better. And the fate of their freedom is now at stake. A victory here would rally the morale of the battered and bruised FWLM, buying them time to bring up their reinforcements and mobilize a counterattack!

With the Free Worlds League secured, we can finally shed some light on this new Duncan-led League, their enigmatic NRWR allies, and finally learn the fate of the Red Corsair Memory Core excursion.

For the sake of the AU Inner Sphere, Capellan aggression must go no further! Bring the fire and the lightning, Rolling Thunder!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

I'm more interested in seeing what the deal is with the NRWR than a Clan invasion of Luthien.

Yeah I mean even though it's a different clan and a different point in time we've already seen Luthien invaded. Meanwhile on the other side of the galaxy we have the Helm Memory Core intrigue + Red Corsair, and that whole New Rim Worlds Republic thing going on. As T.G. put it, Poptarts has really elevated the FWL and personally I want to see where he goes with that, even if just for one mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

LifeisFleeting posted:

Voting C. Good job effort posters, keep it up and you may lure more lurkers out of hiding.

Yeah, you sure got me to post a C.

• Locked thread