Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008
IGN have broken the trailer down. Good work.

http://au.ign.com/videos/2011/11/02/rewind-theater-grand-theft-auto-v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliceMolaka
Jan 23, 2005

Welcome to Sensimilla Street.

Install Gentoo posted:

They do have long distance taxi services, and taxi services out in boonies. You need to call them for dispatch tho and the fees can get pretty high.

That said, San Andreas did have an airline system even if it was kinda crap. A better version of that could work here for inter-city travel with taxis and such in-city.

This is reaching but a bus station in some small towns could be an option for rural transit.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Here's a thought, it's a video game, not a real business. How about including features that make sense for a video game?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Cacator posted:

But that would mean giving money to Sony...

Even if HD-DVD won that battle it's not like the HD-DVD add-on was ever going to be used for games.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Sir Xiphos posted:

IGN have broken the trailer down. Good work.

http://au.ign.com/videos/2011/11/02/rewind-theater-grand-theft-auto-v

They make a fairly good case for the appearance of Las Venturas and San Fierro.

fuckyoubitch
Mar 30, 2010

by T. Finninho
Gotta say I'm not impressed. 4 years and it looks like a miami PC mod for GTA4. After playing BF3 all week those graphics look exactly like GTA4. Should have saved this one for the next console batch.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Joda posted:

They make a fairly good case for the appearance of Las Venturas and San Fierro.
When they mentioned that both this trailer and the Vice City trailer have a shot of A BLUE CAR and therefore it's likely that the main character is Tommy Vercetti, I turned the video off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was thinking "It can't be that bad." Then I got to the part you mentioned, and shut it off too. That was retarded.

Dush posted:

Does anyone know if it'd even be possible for them to have the whole state with those fancy graphics on current-gen systems? Not even considering all the time and work that'd be. Holy balls.

In SA it was done with lots of fog and not improving the graphics all that much in each iteration. SA looked looked like poo poo even for the standards of that time. They could probably do it in V by having those big mountains as a way to cull rendering the other cities and save resources. Though, then you'd have to have roads that go through them that allow you to stop rendering one city then render the next one. That doesn't solve the problem of planes flying over mountains.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 3, 2011

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world

Dush posted:

Does anyone know if it'd even be possible for them to have the whole state with those fancy graphics on current-gen systems? Not even considering all the time and work that'd be. Holy balls.

The size of the game could be a reason the game is rumored to have a digital release. Like many other posters I'm really hoping for a release day pc release but I'm not betting on it.

The GTA series has been my favorite video game series since GTA3. I'm excited for V but I hope the game has wildlife like RDR. I didn't love LA Noire though. I hope they can pull all the good elements from their other games. The graphics do like great but obviously not the improvement between San Andreas and IV.

Kymera fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 3, 2011

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Stare-Out posted:

When they mentioned that both this trailer and the Vice City trailer have a shot of A BLUE CAR and therefore it's likely that the main character is Tommy Vercetti, I turned the video off.

They also try to hammer the "it's TOTALLY Tommy Vercetti and the black guy is CJ" ideas even though it's obviously not Ray Liotta's voice and not all black people look alike.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

Stare-Out posted:

I know gently caress all about American geography, but they mentioned that two rural landmarks shown (Yosemite National Park and the windmill area) are known for being between Los Angeles and Las Vegas and San Francisco respectively. If that's true the case is looking pretty solid to be honest.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

In SA it was done with lots of fog and not improving the graphics all that much in each iteration. SA looked looked like poo poo even for the standards of that time. They could probably do it in V by having those big mountains as a way to cull rendering the other cities and save resources. Though, then you'd have to have roads that go through them that allow you to stop rendering one city then render the next one. That doesn't solve the problem of planes flying over mountains.

If the distance is proper long enough, it'd be impossible to see the next city over in real life, let alone in a video game. You don't need a mountain to block rendering if the place is "actually" 10 miles away.

And it isn't like GTA IV had to render the entire city at the same time either, no special stuff was needed to block rendering.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Joda posted:

I know gently caress all about American geography, but they mentioned that two rural landmarks shown (Yosemite National Park and the windmill area) are known for being between Los Angeles and Las Vegas and San Francisco respectively. If that's true the case is looking pretty solid to be honest.

Miami's on the other coast.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

Miami's on the other coast.

Forgive my ignorance, but how/why is Miami relevant in this regard? Is that where one of the landmarks is?

EDIT: vvvv oh you're on about the Tommy Vercetti poo poo. Yeah they are grasping for straws on that one. I'm only commenting on locations.

Joda fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 3, 2011

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Joda posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but how/why is Miami relevant in this regard? Is that where one of the landmarks is?

Vice City was "not Miami" and that was where we left Tommy Vercetti.

MustangCharlie
Dec 9, 2004
My daddy won't give me moneys for drugs.. Waaaaaa

fuckyoubitch posted:

Gotta say I'm not impressed. 4 years and it looks like a miami PC mod for GTA4.

Are you being serious? It's set in Vinewood (based on Hollywood, in Southern California). Having just played GTA 4 on PC, the trailer looks a little better than the vanilla game on high detail. I really wish the game wasn't taking place in LA again though. It looks too much like Liberty City, and we've already been there in GTA: SA. I think Rockstar missed a good opportunity for a fresh setting.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cojawfee posted:

I hate to bring this up all the time, but I think I should. There is a reason why GTAIV doesn't have all the crazy extra poo poo that SA had. This is simply because they had to create an entire new game. GTAIII came out and had a few side things, hidden packages, rampages. Not too much since it was a new game and they had to create the entire game. Then Vice City came out and they added some more stuff, easy because all they had to do was make a new map this time, so more time was available for adding content. Then for San Andreas they had a lot of experience in that engine so they had more time to add in extra content. Then for GTAIV they create and entirely new engine, with a level of detail never seen before. So it's no real wonder why there wasn't a poo poo ton of extra content in the game. People seem to get caught up in "New game = lots more content" while forgetting that the jump from SA to IV was all new stuff, nothing was reused.

Expecting the amount of content to jump up form SA to IV is just stupid. Expecting the content from IV to V to jump up is at least reasonable. I'm sure they'll have lots of dumb, canned crap for you to do this time.

The problem with this argument is that in the interviews leading up to GTA IV's release the devs constantly hyped up that the size and scope of Liberty City was an intentional design decision and not a technical limitation; they had originally to expand beyond the scope of even SA and then decided to try and change things up by focusing on a single city but making it much more dense and detailed and good-looking. They also talked about how in the name of drama and realism they conspicuously decided to make your ascent to wealth and power much more limited in scope, so you don't have that sense of progression from Vice City and San Andres; in GTA IV all you get is a few apartments and a taxi company while in Vice City and San Andres you literally own the city by the end.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

I think it would be weird if GTA V has multiple characters as rumored. The feel and pacing of the game would probably feel different from the other GTAs. I wonder if you would switch characters half way through or switch back and forth. One thing that has to be considered is whether your money is switched between characters. Also if you can own property like in SA, would that transfer or not. The trailer having one narrator also makes me feel like there is only one playable character. I also doubt they would recycle a character from a previous game. It just doesn't seem like their style. All the protagonists aside from perhaps Claude are very unique characters. GTA protagonists are almost video game icons because of the popularity of the series. I think R* would try to create a new protagonist with a new story and personality.

Kymera fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 3, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kymera posted:

I think it would be weird if GTA V has multiple characters as rumored. The feel and pacing of the game would probably feel different from the other GTAs. I wonder if you would switch characters half way through or switch back and forth. One thing that has to be considered is whether your money is switched between characters. Also if you can own property like in SA, would that transfer or not. The trailer having one narrator also makes me feel like there is only one playable character. I also doubt they would recycle a character from a previous game. It just doesn't seem like their style. All the protagonists aside from perhaps Claude are very unique characters. GTA protagonists are almost video game icons because of the popularity of the series. I think R* would try to create a new protagonist with a new story and personality.

When you think about it, IV with Episodes is basically IV with multiple characters. The plots completely intertwine and all that.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Farbtoner posted:

The problem with this argument is that in the interviews leading up to GTA IV's release the devs constantly hyped up that the size and scope of Liberty City was an intentional design decision and not a technical limitation; they had originally to expand beyond the scope of even SA and then decided to try and change things up by focusing on a single city but making it much more dense and detailed and good-looking. They also talked about how in the name of drama and realism they conspicuously decided to make your ascent to wealth and power much more limited in scope, so you don't have that sense of progression from Vice City and San Andres; in GTA IV all you get is a few apartments and a taxi company while in Vice City and San Andres you literally own the city by the end.

That's just marketing though. They're not going to come out and say "Well, due to technical limitations there's not as much stuff in the game guys. Sorry!".

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

When you think about it, IV with Episodes is basically IV with multiple characters. The plots completely intertwine and all that.

If Niko's story had been as short, self contained, focused and well done as Lost and the Damned, I would have had no problem with the change in tone.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Install, I think Kymera's question is if the activity happens during the same "episode". That is, it'd be like if I switched between Niko and Packie, not between Niko and Klebitz.

Also, the theories saying that the game is going to feature characters from the GTAIII or GTAIV series sound idiotic. Beyond Lazlow and references to other characters, it's probably going to just be a bunch of new characters.

Wishlist for available vehicles:

Bikes
Bi-Plane

Edit:

Kymera posted:

All the protagonists aside from perhaps Claude are very unique characters.

Claude is one of the most unique characters in retrospect, especially if you believe he is literally a mute.

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 3, 2011

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Joda posted:

Yosemite is in central California in the Sierra Nevada (in other words, not at all between LA and LV), and the windmill farm is more likely the one near Palm Springs, which is about an hour or two outside LA. It looks more like the one near Palm Springs which is much, much bigger than the one in the East Bay. Also, there's no reason the outdoor area has to be Yosemite, as there are tons of locales throughout California that look like the one in the trailer, including ones reasonably close to LA. I don't know why people keep referring to these scenes as any kind of evidence of San Fierro and Las Venturas, aside from pure geographical ignorance.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

Yea I feel like that worked well with the episodes. I think the game will have multiple cities since its in the GTA formula to make you unlock the other zones. They force you to play the story in that way.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Dush posted:

I dunno, I think they went too far in RDR. In that game it would've made more sense to me just to have fast travel between towns, rather than absolutely loving everywhere. It was too convenient. In GTA, getting around town is half the fun, it doesn't really need fast travel.

I hate that I have to go to my safehouse to save, when outside a mission and if this game is as big or bigger than San Andreas, I just know I'll hate traveling.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.
Oh my god this IGN breakdown is just awful. It's not so much a breakdown of stuff that appear in the trailer as it is wild speculation.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Might as well have some fun: since Rockstar is referring to this as San Andreas as a whole, I wonder if we're still going to have shitloads of little towns outside of Los Santos as well. I loved those and wished they did more instead of just having tiny houses and convenience stores...until I realized that's pretty much the small town experience in a nutshell.

Still, if Rockstar is doing all three cities from the last game, I almost hope they add some smaller ones as well. Those were always fun to run amok through and the idea of the Mexican border is a fascinating one as well.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Himuro posted:

I hate that I have to go to my safehouse to save, when outside a mission and if this game is as big or bigger than San Andreas, I just know I'll hate traveling.

Didn't GTA just autosave every time you did anything worth doing anyway?

Just as well since it barely had any safehouses (and they were mostly rubbish). Of course, I know that fits with the game's "you are a poor immigrant", but buying new property all over town was one of the things I loved about the previous games.

Here's hoping that the money-style V in GTAV implies that you'llbe living a bit larger than Nico did.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lucid Delusion posted:

Oh my god this IGN breakdown is just awful. It's not so much a breakdown of stuff that appear in the trailer as it is wild speculation.

Welcome to video game journalism.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

I'm hoping you can play as Ricky Gervais in this one too

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Since we're all theory-crafting, perhaps San Fierro and Las Venturas fell into the ocean after a massive earthquake or some poo poo.

I don't mind a bit of travel, anyway, I kind of enjoyed the run around the coast listening to the radio. And shooting into other vehicles making them freak out.

VanV
May 13, 2004

Not this year.
Holy poo poo IGN :psyduck:

It's like they're just reading posts from gtaforums out loud.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
The autosave feature was what I relied upon more than actually saving at a safehouse. Don't get me wrong, I like the safehouses, but more as extra bits to the world rather than a really useful game mechanic. As long as the soundtrack's awesome, I will enjoy cruising in this game as well.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

I wonder if the army will come if you get 6 stars wanted.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Budget Dracula posted:

Police dogs and bears would be sweet but I'll probably fail every mission from trying not to run over stray dogs/cats while driving down the road.

Police bears would be pretty bitchin'. They probably don't come out till the 6th wanted star.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has anyone really mentioned that the dialog in the video may very likely not be the player-character?

Sounds like the introduction to an old bad guy you're introduced to work for.

fuckyoubitch
Mar 30, 2010

by T. Finninho

Lucid Delusion posted:

It's exactly the same poo poo goons would be doing if they hadn't already made that video, goons are loving awful with speculation and trailers.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Doesn't seem likely considering the trailers we had before the main character talked. For example, we had Niko talking in the very first trailer. Wouldn't be surprise if this was the main character talking.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
San Andreas safehouses would have been much better if there was more than 7 unique interiors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

I see that there. posted:

Has anyone really mentioned that the dialog in the video may very likely not be the player-character?

Sounds like the introduction to an old bad guy you're introduced to work for.

I don't know why you're saying "very likely". It possibly could be, I'll grant you that, but I'm fairly certain that all the other premiere videos featured the protagonist.

Okay, I just looked up 4's and it was clearly Niko talking. The episodes featured Johnny and Luis, but they also featured a bunch of other people so there's that to consider, too. Edit: The trailers for them, that is.

• Locked thread