Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

voting A, I'll be interesting to see what changes if luthien falls in this timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Fellow Goons, I implore you! Certainly, the allure of being purple is enticing to our hive mind, but let me put it in timeline terms. In Original, the Smoke Jaguars and Nova Cats made an end run to Luthien, but their plans were betrayed by Ulric Kerensky to Comstar. Long story short, the Dracs got their chestnuts pulled out of the fire in the nick of time, and their precious coordinator and hierarchy survived.

Look at what Poptarts is offering! A chance to undo the betrayal of the real timeline, the self-sabotaging, witless timeline! A chance to actually fight for success and take the first of the inner sphere capitals! A chance to bring the policies of the Clans onto the very hub of one of the big five, to see how they interact!

This is a full-scale invasion of a world which must be defended. This isn't a border skirmish, a midnight raid, a clash on the frontier or a covert operation. This is a dagger to the heart, aimed at speed and with force behind it. This isn't a clan whose policies are founded on pure stupid and washed down with dumb, this is the Hell's Horses, the only clan to have embraced combined arms strategies wholeheartedly! This is a clan that comprehends waging war, a clan ready for a campaign rather than trying to impose their own chivalry. The absolute best clan for taking and holding something like this successfully.

This is unique, this is major, this epoch-defining. This could be the Fall of the Draconis Combine as we know it. I'll grant you the FWL-CC sideshow has merit, but if the FWL stumbles, this means the New Rim Worlds Republic must take up the slack for their allies! Think of it! Controlling the scions of Amaris and his ilk against the very enemies against whom the Star League was sundered. If the FWL rally now, there will be less need for the NRWR to step up to the plate. Let things get a little darker on that front, and be prepared for what comes next to be glorious.

All this can be yours, just for the price of an A vote.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

And why would we want to fight for the Clans to win? They're not just loving monstrous as a society, they're also fighting downhill. We've played as a Clan force against IS1 tech and it was a joke. The Clans are best left as someone to defeat.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
How could stomping Luthien into the ground be more interesting that playing the dirty dozen in battlemechs?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Not even sure it's a full scale invasion, more a "Lol, Assassinating the coordinator" mission or something.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Think big. Okay, you're already thinking about giant stompy robots, but think bigger even than that. Imagine what would happen if B won? Imagine what the Inner Sphere would look like if the Capellans break the back of the FWL but at the same time all the really crazy people in charge of the Capellans start getting knocked off. Isn't it about time we let the Caballero's get their revenge? Isn't it about time we saw what Justin Xiang-Allard has up his sleeve? Can't you just see the glorious chaos that will result when the Capellans simultaneously win and are plunged into a vicious blood bath at the highest Echelons? Meanwhile the Snakes get headcapped, leaving the Federated Suns the only intact Great House? Can you conceive of the awesome kaleidoscope of new powers such madness would give birth to?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Voting A, but I guess it does not matter. :( I am sure we will also decide that a skirmish between the Taurians and Davions will be much more fun to play than the Battle of Tharkad in a few months too. Oh well.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Felime posted:

Not even sure it's a full scale invasion, more a "Lol, Assassinating the coordinator" mission or something.

It's twelve clusters, which I would say could probably take 14 Succession War era regiments down reliably. Full scale indeed.

So we're going to grossly outgun our for, and potentially outnumber them. Downhill battle indeed.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Defiance Industries posted:

And why would we want to fight for the Clans to win? They're not just loving monstrous as a society, they're also fighting downhill. We've played as a Clan force against IS1 tech and it was a joke. The Clans are best left as someone to defeat.

This is a Capital World. All bets are off. No pulling of punches. Expect every dirty trick in the book and then some: This isn't a bunch of lights poking around on the fringes, this is the absolute best they have in massive quantity. Clan forces can be beaten by IS forces: I suspect we may well see that in this scenario. Don't write off the defences of Luthien that offhandedly: You saw what a single rapid response unit on Tharkad was. Look at the Home Guard on Operation Himinbjorg, and imagine an entire enemy opforce composed of equal units. It's a chance to see the Clans come up against the IS and finally lose.

Do you seriously doubt PopTartsNinja's ability to pitch this at a level where is isn't a clan cakewalk? A cornered rat fights hardest, and this is one of the biggest, most powerful cornered rats in the game.

A vote for A is a vote to see this showdown. It will be glorious.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Keru posted:

How could stomping Luthien into the ground be more interesting that playing the dirty dozen in battlemechs?

Because it's never been done before. All the canon material is very shy about breaking up the holy status quo. A major power falling is unthinkable.

And concerning the post about 'boring' clan superiority on the field: That was a bonus mission, and the group controlling the mechs was very competent, the best one we've had so far. This time the attacking clanners will be heavily outnumbered. Those two battles will not have much in common.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mukaikubo posted:

Voting A, but I guess it does not matter. :( I am sure we will also decide that a skirmish between the Taurians and Davions will be much more fun to play than the Battle of Tharkad in a few months too. Oh well.

Hey, not our fault we're on the wrong side of the Battle of Luthien. Smashing poo poo with Clantech is something a drunk baby could do.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Now I want to change my vote back to the invasion of Luthien. :( Curse you, PoptartsNinja! Why couldn't you have left these two options for separate intervanls so we could do both...

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Hey, not our fault we're on the wrong side of the Battle of Luthien. Smashing poo poo with Clantech is something a drunk baby could do.

quote:

Alpha Keshik “Might Before Metal”
Alpha Galaxy “Stampede of Steel”
Omega Keshik “Hell’s Inferno”
Beta Galaxy “The Apocalypse”

The Hell’s Horses have launched an unexpected attack on Luthien, the capital of the Draconis Combine! Outnumbered and in dire straits, the Hell’s Horses stand poised to strike the head from the Dragon in a single decisive blow!

I don't mean to make this sound like a personal attack, but it almost seems like the people who persist in using this argument are acting in bad faith to sway the voters.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Aka: Not the battle of luthien. The small, inconsequential without goon intervention skirmish of diddly squat that happens to occur on luthien.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Keep crying, clan-lovers.

C.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
As cool as the invasion of Luthien would be, I want to see what the FWL is like. C

btw, has anyone kept track of which mechs have shown up so far?

edit: I forgot, the Space Mexicans were FWL. Still, it sounds like a good scenario.

Trochanter fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 3, 2011

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

One one hand, "The Battle of Luthien" sounds epic and awesome, and anyone would be thrilled to take part in it.

But I want the clanners to lose.

On the other, I can't get all that fired up about beating on Capellans again.

Deciding factor: Defiance Industries is gonna be part of this pilot group, and dude's been a great contributor to this thread and its associated Good Times™. Let's do it for DI.

C

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gimmick Account posted:

I don't mean to make this sound like a personal attack, but it almost seems like the people who persist in using this argument are acting in bad faith to sway the voters.

PTN is a great scenario-builder, but I don't believe, with the Goonlance always moving second, that it is even possible to make a challenging Clantech vs IS1 scenario with any kind of not-stupid unit selection.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Mary Annette posted:

One one hand, "The Battle of Luthien" sounds epic and awesome, and anyone would be thrilled to take part in it.

But I want the clanners to lose.

On the other, I can't get all that fired up about beating on Capellans again.

Deciding factor: Defiance Industries is gonna be part of this pilot group, and dude's been a great contributor to this thread and its associated Good Times™. Let's do it for DI.

C

That's a rallying cry I can get behind. For Defiance Industries!

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

PTN is a great scenario-builder, but I don't believe, with the Goonlance always moving second, that it is even possible to make a challenging Clantech vs IS1 scenario.

If not even all those missions that he's created so far to great acclaim could convince you that he'd cook up something fun, plausible and challenging, nothing can.

It just makes me sad.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
If I could change my vote I would be convinced.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

PTN is a great scenario-builder, but I don't believe, with the Goonlance always moving second, that it is even possible to make a challenging Clantech vs IS1 scenario with any kind of not-stupid unit selection.

You'd be surprised.

Felime posted:

Aka: Not the battle of luthien. The small, inconsequential without goon intervention skirmish of diddly squat that happens to occur on luthien.

Yes. Because nothing could possibly happen off-camera to change the status quo.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Clan mechs all have weaknesses that can be exploited. They have serious strengths but you can counter them.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Come back to see 200 posts since last night, :wtc:

C, I like the FWL almost as much as I hate the Capellans.

Also, you know, Rolling The gently caress you say!?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think I poo poo up the thread some, so I'm just gonna agree to disagree on scenario construction and get back to being positive about things rather than tearing down the other side. Deal?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
A seems real important, but I know nothing about Battletech and those who seem to are all excited about C so...

I vote C

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Need some FWL love in this thread, votinc C

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

I think I poo poo up the thread some, so I'm just gonna agree to disagree on scenario construction and get back to being positive about things rather than tearing down the other side. Deal?

Huh? I don't feel that what you said had any sort of negative effect on the thread or its mood, I was just very surprised about your scepticism. No offense taken and all that!

Let's see where this train takes us.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Voting A here, it's just too awesome an idea to miss. Besides, if not picking C means the FWL gets its butt kicked by the CC, is that really a BAD thing? That influx of worlds/resources would probably pull the Confederation out of its "weakest IS state" hole, and that could make things even more intriguing, especially if they and Hanse do square off later on more even terms.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well, my argument is that the Combine's going to fall sooner or later, whether Goonstar mobilizes or not, so why not see the best and rowdiest Mechwarriors still piloting L1 tech face off against the new Capellan L2s? The FWL has gone neglected, by canon and by Goons, far too long for anyone to not be curious about the changes made to the Successor States closer to the galactic rim.

I'm also going to go ahead and say I've got Clan fatigue right now. The last four scenarios directly involved them, and frankly should Clan's Hell's Horses fail in their four-Galaxy Luthien gambit there's still the Goliath Scorpions and Widowmakers tunneling their way through the Combine invasion corridor.

Hence my vote as well as my appeal to consider the oft-ignored Free Worlds League.

Either scenario would be drat fine to watch, though, and I'm drat excited to see whatever it is Poptarts has got cookin'.

EDIT: Capellans becoming the new superpower while the League crumbles is what happened in the late-Jihad, early-Republic era. That's not an outcome I want to inch towards, frankly. While it was interesting seeing the Capellan Confederation stop getting shat upon, I'd rather see them take the fight to the Davions.

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 3, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gimmick Account posted:

Huh? I don't feel that what you said had any sort of negative effect on the thread or its mood, I was just very surprised about your scepticism. No offense taken and all that!

Let's see where this train takes us.

When you turn an argument into tearing down the other option it eventually becomes threadshitting. Soooo...

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Ferrosol posted:

C) 1st Regulan Hussars because the FWL is the best and I am bored of stinky clanners and boring dracs :smugbert:

I agree with this C vote entirely and unconditionally.

And if you disagree all I can say is NO YOU SHUT UP MARIK'S ROW REPRESENT

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009
Throwing my weight behind C because I want to see some goddamn 1st Regulan Hussars, damnit! Knife to the Hilt!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I'm voting [A] because while the real history is often won on the sidelines, whatever happens on Luthien is going to be big, flashy, and intense. The Clans are at their best story-wise as their beliefs break down upon the reality of warfare, and it's not like the Goons haven't lost a scenario before.

What we'd be seeing here is an Inner Sphere force that has pulled out literally all of the stops, in their own territory, and fighting for the very survival of their empire. The Hell's Horses are all in here as well. The two Galaxies here represent two thirds of their invasion force and as much as a third of their entire canon armed forces at this time. Both of their Khans are on the battlefield. This is bigger than the original battle for Luthien, and Win or lose, neither the Combine nor the Hell's Horses will come out of this intact. I want to see that happen in person.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 3, 2011

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Jumping out of lurk mode to vote C, it's been a good long while before we saw good inter-Sphere rear end-kicking, much less against the hordes of Fu Manchu Maximilian Liao.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
C

For Defiance Industries!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Axe-man posted:

Clan mechs all have weaknesses that can be exploited. They have serious strengths but you can counter them.

I'd vote for the battle of Luthien in 1 nanonsecond flat if were playing as the IS, but I hate the clans and want them to die. Plus imho struggling against the clans with IS1 tech is approximately 100 times more fun/exciting to watch.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

:goonsay: It's "canon", with one "n" only. Although many of their forces ARE indeed cannon-armed.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Gimmick Account posted:

:goonsay: It's "canon", with one "n" only. Although many of their forces ARE indeed cannon-armed.

I normally get that right! Fixed. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A I always did want to see Luthien in flames.

• Locked thread