Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I like his look more and more really. He looks... brutal. Like, "doesn't gently caress around will attack you with a lead pipe to your kidneys until you piss blood and rib bone fragments" brutal. It'll be interesting to see how he works in a story where a lot of the characters interact indirectly. He looks very direct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

NextTime000 posted:

His head reminds me of Jigsaw

I wonder if he will ask someone if they "want to play a game?"

Huh, this guy looks familiar.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
The Jigsaw comparison makes me wonder if there's anything more to this page http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002470:ohdear:

(most likely not)

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

jvempire posted:

The theory my friend and I made was that this is LE first form, and because LE is basically a final boss he will have multiple forms. Also he was blabbering about how LE takes a bit of his appearance from the first thing prototyped, which was Cal (and I guess it would also explain LE's red cheeks). Don't know how true that is but it makes sense.

He also has Cal's gold tooth.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

The Jigsaw comparison makes me wonder if there's anything more to this page http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002470:ohdear:

(most likely not)
Well, it was a frog puppet... :tinfoil:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

(most likely not)

There is, on the MSPA forums.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

Paul.Power posted:

Well, it was a frog puppet... :tinfoil:

:psyboom:
It was in the previous page too! How'd I miss it?

e:

Factory Factory posted:

There is, on the MSPA forums.

Well yeah, but I meant in terms of English.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I like how the troll and human characters sequence-broke their game to the point where instead of just fighting a normal final boss, they have to fight a monster that can only be beaten by glitching the game/time. It just feels proper that they'd somehow have to end up fighting something that requires their "mess everything up" skills.

... Also, why do I get the feeling that Lord English would be the number 1 customer to Bro's puppet site if he were to ever see it?

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

Ice_Mallet posted:

... Also, why do I get the feeling that Lord English would be the number 1 customer to Bro's puppet site if he were to ever see it?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

see: Every instance of Lord English fanart before the reveal

Tall, dark and handsome :allears:

Huh.

The first one is okay-ish, I could maybe see why they would think that was a possibilty. The last two? Not so much. The middle one is kinda cool, but it is not in the least bit threatening. LE needs to be terrifying, after so much build-up. Then again, I think most MSPA readers might be holding too close to the idea of another final boss like the one from Problem Sleuth, so I like the idea of it going in the opposite direction of Dapper Gent vs Horrible Multi-form Beast.

No comment on the last one though. Just awful.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The thing about Lord English looking brutish is that, to me at least, it implies he's more a direct action kind of villain than a thinking, scheming villain.

That's okay in general, but... this story already has an omnipotent godlike brutal killing machine character- Bec Noir.

I mean, as far as going around just killing everyone all unstoppable-like, we've got that covered. So what exactly is Lord English going to do?

Well, I'm sure it'll be something pretty interesting, and undoubtedly involve lots of time shenanigans. In fact, there may be so many time shenanigans that he's already carried out his plan from our perspective.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Eiba posted:

I mean, as far as going around just killing everyone all unstoppable-like, we've got that covered. So what exactly is Lord English going to do?

He's already done it. He has literally been behind the scenes of everything that has ever happened on Alternia. He is the man behind the man behind the sn0wman.

Which does make the sheer brutish power of his appearance a bit odd, but not wholly surprising. We have been told, repeatedly, that Lord English is a figure of incredible power and incredible evil, and it's hard to argue that the guy we see burst out of Scratch doesn't fit the bill.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Thing is Bec Noir has always looked really, really silly to me. He looks kind of cartoonish and the winged antagonist with a sword thing is pretty rife with RPG cliche. Lord English, however, looks unambiguously threatening.

His physical appearance is brutish and imposing, but it just speaks to the fact that it's not really his physical nature that's a threat. He's an elemental force of destruction on the scale of universes. That's got nothing to do with how big his fangs or muscles are, but those attributes speak to his nature. I appreciate that Hussie went the "this guy is big and scary and you don't want to be near him under any circumstance" direction to represent something like that.

Though I do wonder how he'd look when rendered in traditional sprite form. Maybe he'd share the same body shape as Hearts Boxcars and just look like a big oaf.

Also I think it's hilarious he's still keeping those rosy cheeks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Huh.

The first one is okay-ish, I could maybe see why they would think that was a possibilty. The last two? Not so much. The middle one is kinda cool, but it is not in the least bit threatening. LE needs to be terrifying, after so much build-up. Then again, I think most MSPA readers might be holding too close to the idea of another final boss like the one from Problem Sleuth, so I like the idea of it going in the opposite direction of Dapper Gent vs Horrible Multi-form Beast.

No comment on the last one though. Just awful.

Looks like the fanartists are having a ball with his canon design anyway.

Think I might take some of these to the art thread.

edit: wait, no, someone posted it already.

He was already there.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 3, 2011

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
I like how much he looks like a grim reaper style figure in that art.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm finally making an archive trawl after delaying it for so long and a lot of the memories are coming back now.

Remember back when a lot of people complained about (half) an entire act dedicated to the trolls? I think we can all say the payoff was well worth it.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

JT Jag posted:

I'm finally making an archive trawl after delaying it for so long and a lot of the memories are coming back now.

Remember back when a lot of people complained about (half) an entire act dedicated to the trolls? I think we can all say the payoff was well worth it.

Remember when something that took three months was considered to be dragging?

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

JT Jag posted:

Remember the good old days when everyone complained that Hussie had promised it'd only take three months? Remember back when people said they were sick of seeing so many Jade updates and she was hogging screentime? I do :allears:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Okay, so let's take a moment here.

What's going to happen now?

So far as I can tell, Lord English is going to/has done all the things he did during the history of the universe(s), but once he's done those he ends up back here at the Green Sun, deep in Paradox space, where the kids and trolls (living and dead) remain.

Will Lord English want in on the new universe Jade made, assuming her genesis frog didn't just die? Does he want to destroy the reset session, assuming it wasn't destroyed when the bomb went off (it mustn't be destroyed, since Reset Grandpa is like 99% likely to be Jade's Penpal at this point meaning the reset must have happened)? Does he want to kill the players? Recruit them? Hunt down all the horror-terrors? Does Spades Slick want to kill him, if he similarly survived? What about Bec Noir? PM? What if WV survives, perhaps by getting Bec Noir's ring - would PM and WV be meaningful opposition to him? Does he have more Felt to call on? Now that he exists, what does he want?

We don't really know what his next step is, narratively. Everything in the story so far has been building up toward his creation, the inexorable event of his universe-destroying birth. Now the universes are destroyed and the last area in Paradox space is occupied by all our characters, and I find myself wondering where we go from here.

If you've got any ideas about the questions above I'd love to hear them, because I'm dying for some decent speculation.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

dumb brunette posted:

Remember back when people said they were sick of seeing so many Jade updates and she was hogging screentime?

What the hell?
Who's complaining about Jade getting too much screentime? I thought she received way less than the other kids.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

So I guess that the Mirthful Messiahs et al are actually imprinted by Lord English on his corrupted session post-summoning. Its followers become murderous in the corrupt sessions but imprint more benign versions of themselves in the subsequent "failure" session, only for the benign version to become murderous again when the failure session is Scratched.

You know what that means. In post-scratch Earth, juggalos are the most dangerous humans alive.

You bastards, you blew it all up

It's already happening :tinfoil:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

What the hell?
Who's complaining about Jade getting too much screentime? I thought she received way less than the other kids.

I think this is referring to back in Acts 3/4 when Jade knew everything and could do no wrong.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
One thing I've been wondering is, why the yellow yard?

Hussie moved only one side of the second fourth wall. Presumably, with the yellow yard being his ONLY interaction, the two fourth walls would have been touching otherwise.

So the difference he has made is that Jade's ship will enter the second fourth wall at a slightly different angle and 3 ns later, having spent those 3 ns in the author's study.

These questions are eating at me: How much of this is important? Why didn't he move the other side of the second fourth wall, too, so there would be an even 3 yards between the walls? What difference will it make?

E: It just occurred to me: two fourth walls into the same story pointed at each other is a really clever image for a self-referencing story.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Walliard posted:

I think this is referring to back in Acts 3/4 when Jade knew everything and could do no wrong.

Yes, everyone really liked to complain about Jade back then. I always liked Jade though <:mad:>

Eiba posted:

The thing about Lord English looking brutish is that, to me at least, it implies he's more a direct action kind of villain than a thinking, scheming villain.

That's okay in general, but... this story already has an omnipotent godlike brutal killing machine character- Bec Noir.

Well, I'm sure it'll be something pretty interesting, and undoubtedly involve lots of time shenanigans. In fact, there may be so many time shenanigans that he's already carried out his plan from our perspective.

Also, regarding this, I think the point isn't that they're supposed to contrast. In fact, I'm pretty sure they're supposed to run in parallel. Every time Vriska reminded John that Jack was already here, it was a (probably intentional) parallel of the facts about Lord English. Jack destroyed two universes, which is also what Lord English does, though he less "destroys" and more "devours." Jack is supposed to be a small-scale demonstration of what to expect from Lord English.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Is it wrong to assume the other fourth wall may be a portal to the post-scratch Earth universe? Because it's been my assumption for a while that Jade intended to escape into the post-Scratch universe somehow.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Dolash posted:

Okay, so let's take a moment here.

What's going to happen now?

So far as I can tell, Lord English is going to/has done all the things he did during the history of the universe(s), but once he's done those he ends up back here at the Green Sun, deep in Paradox space, where the kids and trolls (living and dead) remain.

Will Lord English want in on the new universe Jade made, assuming her genesis frog didn't just die? Does he want to destroy the reset session, assuming it wasn't destroyed when the bomb went off (it mustn't be destroyed, since Reset Grandpa is like 99% likely to be Jade's Penpal at this point meaning the reset must have happened)? Does he want to kill the players? Recruit them? Hunt down all the horror-terrors? Does Spades Slick want to kill him, if he similarly survived? What about Bec Noir? PM? What if WV survives, perhaps by getting Bec Noir's ring - would PM and WV be meaningful opposition to him? Does he have more Felt to call on? Now that he exists, what does he want?

We don't really know what his next step is, narratively. Everything in the story so far has been building up toward his creation, the inexorable event of his universe-destroying birth. Now the universes are destroyed and the last area in Paradox space is occupied by all our characters, and I find myself wondering where we go from here.

If you've got any ideas about the questions above I'd love to hear them, because I'm dying for some decent speculation.

I agree with you, we really have no idea where things are going to head now, although I have a couple things to correct:

1)Jade hasn't technically made the new universe yet. She had the tadpole version but still has to bring it to Skaia (maybe?) in order for it to mature and perform the Vast Croak.

2)John and Jade are heading through the yellow yard and through the second fourth wall, which leads into the post-Scratch session. From there their going to try to direct the Trolls/Derse Dreamsers to it. So yeah, the Kid's universe 'survived', but for how long is up for some debate.

That said I have no idea about the rest of your points, although you could probably make a few guesses:

-If the Kid's universe/session follows a similar pattern the Troll's, then it's likely the post-Scratch session will also have a Doc Scratch analogue as well as LE further on his personal timeline (after eating the Troll's universe). This will probably be how everyone finds out about Lord English and decide they need to stop him because right now like nobody has any clue.

-IF the post-Scratch universe is sort of like the Troll's post-Scratch (hosed up powergamers) then that sort of implies that they'd be making similar mistakes the Trolls did, like not listening to their denizens, or not finding the final frog (so any universe they make would also have 'cancer' and be messed up). So the 'proper' frog Jade made would be crucial towards actually completing the game in the correct way.

-Lord English entering a universe doesn't necessarily mean you can't kill him, just that you can't stop him from entering. So if they confront him at a time where he's done everything needed to continue the alpha timeline, they could end his personal timelime, although the universe would still be doomed because it has to end for him to enter it so they could kill him.

I dunno some thoughts.

I have put way too much time into this :suicide:

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Oh goddammit. HUSSIE!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Factory Factory posted:

Hussie moved only one side of the second fourth wall. Presumably, with the yellow yard being his ONLY interaction, the two fourth walls would have been touching otherwise.

So the difference he has made is that Jade's ship will enter the second fourth wall at a slightly different angle and 3 ns later, having spent those 3 ns in the author's study.

These questions are eating at me: How much of this is important? Why didn't he move the other side of the second fourth wall, too, so there would be an even 3 yards between the walls? What difference will it make?

E: It just occurred to me: two fourth walls into the same story pointed at each other is a really clever image for a self-referencing story.

Very simple: because the two fourth walls weren't pointed at each other beforehand. Andrew Hussie the character is the only reason they are next to each other aligned like that. Previously, they were...well. In different areas of the room/house/etc.

PikaPuff
Mar 6, 2010

STOP POSTING!
So many pages...
these threads move so fast!
If they were right on top of each other, people wouldn't get what it was. with the one yard, you can see them at an angle and can tell what they are.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Wild and crazy prediction: Noir and PM fight, end in a stalemate, and end up joining up with the kids+trolls to fight against Lord English.

We know Noir prefers fighting opponents that pose a challenge and that he's got his own weird honor system. And though they can't outright kill LE, they can probably distract him long enough for the kids+trolls to glitch LE out of existence.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

^^^ God-tier Karkat will shooshpap Lord English into oblivion. It is his destiny.

PikaPuff posted:

If they were right on top of each other, people wouldn't get what it was. with the one yard, you can see them at an angle and can tell what they are.

The yellow yard of separation also meant there was a brief moment between the ship exiting one wall and entering the next, which the flash conveniently reminds us of by having it appear to stop between the walls just as LE makes his appearance.

That is Hussie's actual interference with the story. By arranging things this way, he's given Lord English an opening to stow away on the ship and enter the new universe.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Reene posted:

Wild and crazy prediction: Noir and PM fight, end in a stalemate, and end up joining up with the kids+trolls to fight against Lord English.

We know Noir prefers fighting opponents that pose a challenge and that he's got his own weird honor system. And though they can't outright kill LE, they can probably distract him long enough for the kids+trolls to glitch LE out of existence.

This actually sounds like something Jack would do. After all, his troll universe counterpart was gunning for LE, and he didn't have magical dog powers backing him up.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Hussie explained this on his Tumblr.

quote:

The 4th Wall

First of all, she didn’t actually conjure the 4th wall out of thin air. Remember when Karkat told her to turn the wall off, and then draw it? He was asking her to captchalogue an undamaged copy using her Pictionary modus, for this exact purpose. The eventual getaway. So she had it on standby, waiting for the right time to use it.

As she expanded it, and we crept ever closer to the completion of the scratch, we saw individual panels from early in the story flashing backwards. From a visualization standpoint, this is just reminding us that the scratch is in fact undoing everything we just read, all the way back to page one, and starting over fresh in a different instantiation of the universe. But if you want to understand why all that was literally being broadcast through the wall at that moment, you could consider what happened to be on the other side of the wall: Lord English’s coat. Why would the interior of the coat broadcast those flashbacks? No need to get into it too much. Suffice to say, it belongs to someone purported to be a master of time.

Will the coat still be there the moment they crash through the glass? Recall that this is all happening “simultaneously” with the rest of the critical moment, which is the juncture that summons him. When he is summoned, he may need his coat. Whether he retrieves it or not, we’ll just have to see.

What’s waiting for them on the other side, beside a big ugly coat? Recall the setup I had with the two 4th walls facing each other, separated by one yard. They will break through the wall on the right, traveling nearly the speed of light, and presumably, break through the wall on the left to enter another reality. If you were thorough during Seer: Descend, you might have caught this excerpt on a bookshelf. “Though we adore Him we shall never enjoy His beauteous Croak. We spill our blood on acres of black and white so they may cross the yellow yard. At last in Skaia’s reflection through broken glass He may find the pond in which He’s meant to squat.”

The yellow yard, regarding my self indulgent spiel about the degree of author intervention to expect, very simply refers to the physical distance between the two 4th walls the heroes will pass through, to escape from a doomed reality into one of promise. The heroes will coexist with me, the author, for the span of three feet, and while traveling very quickly, for the duration of thee nanoseconds. This was always my tongue in cheek way of quantifiably demonstrating the absolute minimum degree of influence an author insert can have on the story, while not having none. It’s essentially a gag, but serving a practical purpose in the story, and a very concrete, understandable mechanism by which they may hop between realities.

It's commentary about how much space an author should share with his work (very little). Beyond that, it's just a mechanic for how Jade traveled between two different universes: through one 4th wall and out another.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Mazerunner posted:

1)Jade hasn't technically made the new universe yet. She had the tadpole version but still has to bring it to Skaia (maybe?) in order for it to mature and perform the Vast Croak.

2)John and Jade are heading through the yellow yard and through the second fourth wall, which leads into the post-Scratch session. From there their going to try to direct the Trolls/Derse Dreamsers to it. So yeah, the Kid's universe 'survived', but for how long is up for some debate.

The universe stuff in particular I'm confused about. If anyone could help explain/explain that we don't know yet?

So far as I can tell, there were two univereses - the troll one and the kids one. They went kablooey in the bomb. However, John Scratched their session and Jade made their frog. On the other hand, I thought the Scratch meant resetting the existing universe, not spawning a new one, while the frog tumbled into the lava.

Now Jade's got their whole incipisphere in her back pocket, so if she can retrieve the Genesis Frog that's a whole new, unshaped universe they might be able to play with. I can also only assume the reset session exists because how else could reset grandpa have been Jade's penpal. Does the reset session exist as a new, separate universe? Is it part of the universe that exploded, but in some way parallel to it and thus accessible? Is Lord English/Doc Scratch in there, instead of Bec? What's the deal?

It seems to matter since it'll affect where they have the final battle (here, in front of the Green Sun? In one of the new universes, if they exist?) and also because it'll probably define everyone's motivations, what they need to do next, and where they'll go after (Lord English will probably want to make his way to one of these new universes. Is he "there already" yet, or can he be stopped?)

Reene posted:

While I kind of want to believe that some manner of Jack Noir will be in the final fight (Spades Slick could survive the end of the universe if part of Doc Scratch's apartment did!), there's just no way that PM bringing a dying WV over with her won't be important. My guess is she and Bec Noir will die fighting each other, leaving just WV to put on their rings, gain their power, and use it to help the kids fight Lord English.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 3, 2011

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I just remembered that "sarcophagus" is Greek for "flesh-eating box." So this means that a universe-eating monster travels in a flesh-eating box. It's like they were made for each other!

While we all cower in awe of the terror that is Lord English, I made something completely different! Way back in September I planned to make a crazy bombastic song for each of the four kids, and I've finally gotten to Jade now that she's the second most powerful character in the entire story. Still working on the bridge between the intro and the next part, and also it still needs a middle and an ending.

edit: a time traveling sarcophagus is much cooler than a time traveling phone box or police box. There, I said it. No taking it back :colbert:

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 3, 2011

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I'd like to point out that the the Cairo Overcoat -> Time Sarcophagus is the coolest poo poo ever in a webcomic full of Cool poo poo.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Zorak posted:

Hussie explained this on his Tumblr.

It's commentary about how much space an author should share with his work (very little). Beyond that, it's just a mechanic for how Jade traveled between two different universes: through one 4th wall and out another.

The commentary is the meta-narrative significance, though. I want to know what the in-story significance will be.

I could easily be wrong that the two fourth walls are into the same story, too. But splitting Jade and John into literally a different story seems almost too complex, even for Homestuck.

And moving those walls next to each other is significantly more intervention than "one yard", which is why I think that, on a literal reading, Hussie's interaction was just pulling them apart from where they were originally set up. I could be wrong about this, too, I guess.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 3, 2011

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
The yard allows us to see both walls instead of having them smashed together. It also gives us a nice name for the mechanism used to bridge realities.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

A part of me believes that the players in the kids' newly recycled universe are going to round out the remaining god tier positions. If there are any left. Are there any left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

The commentary is the meta-narrative significance, though. I want to know what the in-story significance will be.

I could easily be wrong that the two fourth walls are into the same story, too. But splitting Jade and John into literally a different story seems almost too complex, even for Homestuck.

The second wall is into the post-Scratch version of their own universe/ session. It was pre-established by Karkat that this was "the plan". The Trolls get out, John and Jade get into the new post-Scratch world, and "figure out a way" for the folks at the Green Sun to get over and get Jade's frog going so they can go live the rest of their lives.

Thing is, given how paradox space works: the new world has always existed, just totally divorced from the time and space the failed session/ world (the kid's) existed in. Hence why the window is there: Hussie as the author can look into both the pre-Scratch and post-Scratch world because he's... the guy who makes it.

Beyond that, there doesn't need to be any significance. Anymore than the Wolf Head. The yellow yard is just a convenient device that was foreshadowed and allowed people to question how much author insertion Hussie will actually do in the work, which came up waaay back with his asides. Basically: not very much, beyond that Doc Scratch stuff that didn't really matter that much.