Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'd vote for the battle of Luthien in 1 nanonsecond flat if were playing as the IS, but I hate the clans and want them to die. Plus imho struggling against the clans with IS1 tech is approximately 100 times more fun/exciting to watch.

This about sums it up. I would have definitely voted for the 2nd Sword of Light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Defiance Industries posted:

Hey, not our fault we're on the wrong side of the Battle of Luthien. Smashing poo poo with Clantech is something a drunk baby could do.

How little faith you show in Cardassian ingenuity.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Octatonic posted:

I normally get that right! Fixed. :shobon:

Sorry (:(), I realize how aggravating grammar-nazis are! It's just... There's another forum that I read where this happens all the time and it drives me nuts!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
For the record:

1st Scenario - Kell Hounds: Cylene - Kell Hounds vs. House Kurita
2nd Scenario - Hostage Situation - Camacho's Caballeros vs. House Liao
3rd Scenario - Vipers of Somerset - 2nd Donegal Guards vs. Steel Vipers
4th Scenario - Operation Himinbjörg - Heimdall vs. Lyrans
5th Scenario - Nadir - ComGuards vs. Hell's Horses
6th Scenario - House Call - ComGuards vs. Hell's Horses
7th Scenario - Outfoxed - Sea Fox vs. Kuritans
8th Scenario - Delaying Action - 13th Rasalhague Regulars vs. Widowmakers

What's the point? We've seen House Kurita in three of our eight missions (1st, 7th, and 8th) and we've not seen a single Marik unit, unless you count the Caballeros, who were mercs in Marik service. We've seen Liao only once, and we've seen the Hell's Horses twice now.

Spread the Awesome around, folks. Vote C. The Free Worlds League deserves attention too!

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

drat it, goons, can't any of you read?

We're going to be fighting as a tiny Clan force (e.g. on the side of the guys who should lose), against the best the Dracs *have*, while the FWL's tenuous alliance with Steiner hangs in the balance ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE GALAXY.

A vote for Luthien is a vote to have the Capellans gently caress up Steiner's chances of surviving the Clans, and to have the Hell's Horses gently caress up Kurita's chances of surviving the Clans. The Clans are bad and kinda dumb. Don't vote for the Clans.

Voting to stomp some Capellans as the 1st Regulan Hussars, for the sake of the galaxy. Because a future under the Clans would be just as stupid as the rest of Clan history.

Disclaimer: My opinions may be just as dumb as everyone else's.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You know what the FWL's favorite assault is? The Awesome.

If we're ever gonna get to use one it will be with the Steel Hussars.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Option C has probably secured a winning number of votes by now. The propaganda can stop.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

What's the point? We've seen House Kurita in three of our eight missions (1st, 7th, and 8th)

The 13th Rasalhague are not Kurita. :colbert: Space vikings are totally different.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tempest_56 posted:

The 13th Rasalhague are not Kurita. :colbert: Space vikings are totally different.

They're Kurita until ComStar keeps its promise to Miraborg and makes the FRR. Remember that independent Rasalhague has not gotten any traction yet, unlike in canon where Katrina Steiner trained and armed them, creating the 1st Tyr Regiment (which was literally all Assault mechs).

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Voting C on the off chance that it hasn't secured enough votes.

Though I do want to see what's happening on Northwind.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Tempest_56 posted:

They're still technically Kurita. Not my fault the space vikings are still, at this point in the timeline, being oppressed. :colbert:

Also, the propaganda need never stop. Pro-Marik propaganda is the best propaganda.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Clan Hell's Horses isn't trying to take some slimy backwater in a playground shoving match between Inner Sphere oligarchs, they're going after a Capitol world of one of the Great Houses. Luthien: The Black Jewel. You'll see poo poo go down in these scenarios that you'll see nowhere else in the campaign. Great heroes of the Inner Sphere will take the field against the Goonsquad, and if things become desperate enough the leader of the Draconis Combine, Coordinator Takashi Kurita will fight for the survival of his realm. Voting "A" will give you a chance to do what the Clans were unable to do in the official timeline, capture the capitol world of an Inner Sphere successor state.

Enough Saturday Afternoon Special bullshit, vote "A" for a real war.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
I've got the current tally, and I have to say I'm disgusted.

Votes for Clan Hell's Horses: 37
Legoman727
Zikan
Axe-man
Rumda
Zeroisanumber
the JJ
landcollector
bunnyofdoom
Vlad Antlerkov
Tarezax
jng2058
Gimmick Account
evilmiera
Thanatz
Der Waffle Mous
Son Ryo
ActionZero
Tarquinn
AJ_Impy
an oddly aful oud
Z the IVth
Preechr
ShadowDragon8685 (Hey, that's me!)
Fuzzy Mammal
Natty Ninefingers
Affi
Taerkar
Bad Moon
Aeromin
Seekerwithin
MJ12
Tempest_56
CalvinandHobbes
Mukaikubo
MadDogMike
Octatonic
SynthOrange

Votes for the 1st Regulan Hussars: 50
Ferrosol
KnoxZone
Defiance Industries
Angry_Ed
Artificer
raverrn
Chance II
Chronojam
Slaan
Keru
Felime
Magni
Brandy Collins
The Merry Marauder
T.G. Xarbala
NmareBfly
John Charity Spring
Cythereal
Orcs and Ostriches
Soylent Pudding
Polaron
Cthulhu Dreams
Urcinius
pun pundit
AtomikKrab
LifeisFleeting
Ghost of Babyhead
Subterfrugal
Krumbsthumbs
Sair
Sharkopath
Serril
GreyjoyBastard
Kikaskorpse
Fraction Jackson
Captain Foo
Tran
Erd
Leperflesh
Trochanter
Mary Annette
paragon1
Farraday
cafel
DivineCoffeeBinge
Diogenes Cynicus
Terrifying Effigies
Dav
Remora
ChickenSlayer

Fun fact: as of Sharkopath's vote, A and C were tied with 31 votes each after C made a dramatic rally in the polls.
Fun Fact #2: As of DivineCoffeeBinge's vote, the Free Worlds League option had pulled ahead by 10.

Frankly, I am disgusted with you. With you all (where "you all" is the "set of people who voted C"), but especially you, Defiance Industries, trading on your epic fluffing skills and beastly reputation and the foresight you showed in using the name of an in-universe company to rally the votes of dozens of lurkers.

This is the Battle of Luthien we are talking about! The Draconis Combine and Clan Hell's Horses are going all in: all chips on the table, nobody can fold 'em. They're laying their cards down and preparing for death or glory, banzai heroics!

We have a chance to change history here! To see a Clan, a Clan which is competent (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) at fighting wars, bringing their very best to the heart of the Draconis Combine!

And you want to throw it away into stalemate or off-screen ignominy because you don't like playing the Clans? This is a disturbing trend I'm seeing in this thread, primarily from old-timers. It's the same sort of reactionary, knee-jerk feeling that one sees when you view some bitter, jaded old guys with d20s, rolling against THAC0 and scorning 3.x, let alone 4e.

It's not the way you did things when you first started. You don't like the Clans because they have actually useful and awesome technology, you don't want to play as them because you, in your own words, think it's boring, that it's a guaranteed downhill battle.

I find your lack of faith in PoptartsNinja disturbing. Just because you have a technology gap does not mean the battle's outcome is inevitable, or that it's playing on Easy Mode.

We've been offered a brutal, knock-down, drag-out fight, pitting a steep technology advantage against the sheer numbers, the home-field advantage, and the canny might of the Dragon; and lest we not forget, we did recently invest in a contest in which PTN asked us to create designs utilizing the Gauss Rifle, so it's not like the Draconis Combine is going to be all Tech 1.

And you scorn it because you feel it will be easy? You choose to go and play with a unit nobody gives a drat about, from the faction nobody gives a drat about, rather than take an active part in the biggest throwdown since Kerensky got his rear end kicked off Terra by the Usurper?

I implore you, those who remain: Vote A! A Vote for A is a vote for Change, change we can believe in!

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 3, 2011

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Ponymen will just have to wait. C

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Honestly I'm fine with either clan space bronies or space gurkha dirty dozen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'd probably change my vote now, but that's not allowed. :(

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Frankly, I am disgusted with you. With you all (where "you all" is the "set of people who voted C"), but especially you, Defiance Industries, trading on your epic fluffing skills and beastly reputation and the foresight you showed in using the name of an in-universe company to rally the votes of dozens of lurkers.

Oh come on, that's a bit strong isn't it?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A), because it strikes me as the choice with the greatest canon-changing power.

The League is awesome at losing wars and losing one more won't change anything, while winning the battle will just prolong it.

The Hell's Horses, on the other hand, have a shot at knocking the head off the DC and maybe ultimately destroying a Great House. Can you imagine? Finally we'll see something they never seemed to have the balls to do in the actual series, the destruction of one of the successor states.

Gotta give it a shot.

And there's just no way PTN would have the attack succeed unless we fight it out. This is our only chance to affect this sort of massive change on the Combine.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Voting C. Rolling Thunder FTW!

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
Welp, looks like you guys and randomly bolded words have persuaded me to vote C.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

You choose to go and play with a unit nobody gives a drat about, from the faction nobody gives a drat about, rather than take an active part in the biggest throwdown since Kerensky got his rear end kicked off Terra by the Usurper?

Calling the FWL and the 1st Regulan Hussars things that 'nobody gives a drat about' is kinda silly. We are talking about one of the five Great Houses in a critical battle, featuring one of the most famous Inner Sphere companies of the era. The Rolling Thunder is awesome.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

KnoxZone posted:

Calling the FWL and the 1st Regulan Hussars things that 'nobody gives a drat about' is kinda silly. We are talking about one of the five Great Houses in a critical battle, featuring one of the most famous Inner Sphere companies of the era. The Rolling Thunder is awesome.

I must agree that ShadowDragon seems to be acting pretty silly (and probably hurting A's cause). While the big battle with the DC and the HH is the fight with the greatest opportunity for change, there's a lot of personal investment reasons to want to see Rolling Thunder play out. Not everyone wants to see the same things happen in the campaign, and not everyon prioritizes the campaign over what they want to see in actual games either.

VVV If by "stuff going on" you mean "get their asses kicked", then yeah. I didn't get that - pre-Dark Age, weren't the FWL and the Lyrans on good terms? Why did the Lyrans go all out to prevent the FWL from reforming?

Dolash fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 3, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If people don't care about the FWL it's because they were sidelined in the Stackpole books because thry'd detract from his whole "Davion people are the most free!" thing. In the late DA novels they have tons of poo poo going on and there's been a huge upswing in interest in them on most BT forums as a result.

As has been said, there's a lot of interesting poo poo going down in the FWL now, which solves that problem.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You know what the FWL's favorite assault is? The Awesome.

If we're ever gonna get to use one it will be with the Steel Hussars.

Okay now I'm really glad I voted the way I did.

Edit: And apparently I got to be the precursor to the tie breaker haha yeeeeah! :)

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 3, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Keru posted:

Oh come on, that's a bit strong isn't it?

If my words are strong, then it is only because my feelings are strong! I feel as if Defiance Industries has broken a sort of compact, trading on his reputation as a rallying call to a dozen or so lurkers, otherwise noninvolved in this thread, who jumped out of the woodwork at his command to sway the vote at the last minute!

Longinus00 posted:

Welp, looks like you guys and randomly bolded words have persuaded me to vote C.

I had a picture... Nobody else made a picture.

KnoxZone posted:

I re-iterate: who cares? The FWL is the sleeping giant that can't be bothered to do anything most of the time, but the notion that the Capellan Confederation could actually conquer them is laughable. If they overextend themselves beating up on Mariks, then The Fox will storm over their unprotected border and dine in the Chancelor's throne room on Sian.

And they know it. The FWL is simply too big a bite for the CC to chew: if we ignore them utterly, they'll run in, stomp around for a while, get overextended and have to pull back, taking some border worlds but ultimately having gained little.

The CapCon won't be invading Atreus any time soon. Whereas the Hell's Horses are invading Luthien! We have a Capitol Siege versus a Dirty Dozen episode that will ultimately be of little consequence to a war that's on the back-side of the interesting things anyway.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

and lest we not forget, we did recently invest in a contest in which PTN asked us to create designs utilizing the Gauss Rifle, so it's not like the Draconis Combine is going to be all Tech 1.

To be fair, if this was Goonlance as the 2nd Sword of Light I probably would've voted for seeing Goons taking their winning submissions into the fray and kept quiet about my own reservations and regrets towards the FWL. I would not have been entirely happy, but it would be too inappropriate to not let Goons pilot Goon-made 'Mechs after such an interesting and popular contest. However, this is about Goonstar, not Goonlance, and so any reservations were set aside. There will be more opportunities to see GaussDaboku and GaussHatamoto-Chi in the future, especially if Luthien remains in Kuritan hands. As it stands now, though, the fate of the Free Worlds League is at stake!

I just had to vote Purple this time. Sorry, Shadow. I know this was your big break.

EDIT: While the idea of the resurgent Capellans completely conquering the FWL might be laughable, such a crisis of morale throughout the entire league might well lead to a vote of no confidence and the dissolution of the League, proper. Again, I don't want to see the League dissolve and the Capellans rise a la the post-Jihad.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Sharkopath posted:

Okay now I'm really glad I voted the way I did.

Watch PTN troll us by giving us the LRM awesomes.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I had a picture... Nobody else made a picture.

A picture is a thousand words. It was just a thousand words too many.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dude, when did I "trade on my reputation?" I did what I always do and that's stump for the side I wanted to see.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

The same could be said for the DC and the 2nd Sword of Light. Anyhow, the vote has apparently been decided in favor of C). I will abide by the hivemind's decision (though I shake my head in puzzlement and great disappointment).

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Longinus00 posted:

Watch PTN troll us by giving us the LRM awesomes.

A picture is a thousand words. It was just a thousand words too many.

The 8R is the best mech ever.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Dude, when did I "trade on my reputation?" I did what I always do and that's stump for the side I wanted to see.

Then explain the cries of "For Defiance Industries!" followed by a :bandwagon: of C votes from no-name posters, at least one of whom registered only four or five days ago.

That's cult of personality going on there, and it's just not right in a vote like this, especially one where the options are so scorchingly charged.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
As excited as I am about Luthien, I want to change my vote right now, cause i mean all the things you can say about C it is a book that was fun and i could see poeple taking. In fact, I would have choosen it if it wasn't Luthien that was on the table. Now, I just want to change my vote to C cause I'd rather not be known as the person who started vote that ended with flamebaiting for more votes.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

If my words are strong, then it is only because my feelings are strong! I feel as if Defiance Industries has broken a sort of compact, trading on his reputation as a rallying call to a dozen or so lurkers, otherwise noninvolved in this thread, who jumped out of the woodwork at his command to sway the vote at the last minute!
I blame ACORN.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Voting
ROLLLLIINNNGGG THUNNDDEERRR

(C)

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Then explain the cries of "For Defiance Industries!" followed by a :bandwagon: of C votes from no-name posters, at least one of whom registered only four or five days ago.

I'm really sorry about this, Poptart, but I have to say this.

Go gently caress yourself, Shadow. No-name posters? Really? So anyone who's read this thread since the start but just hasn't posted, they're not good enough to vote now?

Second, it wasn't DI who called for anything or anyone to cry 'for Defiance Industries'. If anyone did, it was me and the guy who posted just before I did, so don't go blaming him.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I'm literally a Defiance Industries sleeper agent who came out of my spy cubby to vote at his beck and call.

Really though I just really don't like the clans.

At all.

Of course leaving the battle off screen removes any chance of goonsquad critical failure and might just give PoptartsNinja cause to write a well written Clan victory fluff piece.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Yeah, whoever in this thread would register for a single awesome thread and then post mostly in that thread?

Who indeed.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah, whoever in this thread would register for a single awesome thread and then post mostly in that thread?

Who indeed.

I registered mostly to post in PTN's last LP. The STO one.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

I registered mostly to post in PTN's last LP. The STO one.

(Well sure but mostly I was obliquely hinting at Shadow :))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

That's cult of personality going on there, and it's just not right in a vote like this, especially one where the options are so scorchingly charged.

How wonderfully condescending of you to refer to us as "no-name posters." Maybe some of us want to see some action occuring in a region that isn't extensively covered in the regular Battletech canon. Just because we don't post in this thread every day doesn't mean we are feeble-minded individuals easily swayed to the "cult of personality" of Defiance Industries. Maybe, just maybe, some of us want to see what's going down on the other side of the Inner Sphere instead of hugging the Clan invasion line like so much of the actual canon fiction does.

• Locked thread