Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Cheesus posted:

I'm surprised that after he filed with HR to take 13 weeks off, someone in the chain in either HR or his direct didn't stop in and say, reasonably, "Woah woah woah! We can't allow you take that much time off. Would you be agreeable to a buyout?"

Or unreasonably, and more likely, "No way you're approved to take a week off, let alone 13. Get back to work."

I still can't wrap my head around having accrued 13 weeks of vacation. I've been with the company 12 years full time, 15 since I first started, and I get 3 weeks a year. I'm so busy though I have a hard time even using that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The only reason I can think of is that they don't dare fire him because he's the only person who knows how half the things at his level work, and to fire him would utterly gently caress themselves over.

Jesus christ, this thread :smith: First the Retail thread, now Corporate. At this rate, I'll never get a job for fear of having to deal with all this poo poo.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
I can't believe a company allows the employees to accrue more than a few weeks. Everywhere I've been, you either lose the time or get automatically bought out once you accrue more than 2-6 weeks.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
The problem with a buyout is that the company doesn't actually have that money. It's not like there's a giant bank account labeled "EMPLOYEE VACATIONS" and they take money out whenever someone uses their vacation time. Vacation time generally gets charged to overhead, which is considered a business expense, like keeping the lights on and running the air conditioner.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I worked for a company that set a cap on vacation days after not previously having one. The problem was that the cap took effect on the first day of the fiscal year and the people who'd accrued the most were all accountants. You don't want to encourage all of your accountants to take a bunch of days off right before the end of the fiscal year.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

You'd think corporate bathrooms would be nice. Our building service guys clean them well twice a day and these suits still manage to gross them up. Someone on the floor above me has 5"+ pubes that always crop up on the urinal like gazelles at a watering hole. Someone else manages to somehow get piss all over the TOP of the urinal. Not a lot, but like he really gets into the two shakes when he's done.

Once there was one of those grunting moaning unnecessary "thank you jesus" shitters in our lobby bathroom. (Maybe a board member? Maybe someone off the street?) Drove me insane, so as I was walking out the door I yelled "Don't worry, I'm calling 911, you'll be okay!" I hear "What? Wait, I..." and then the door closed.

My favorite incident:

A while ago I'm in the bathroom, playing Angry Birds, when a guy enters stall next to me, grunts. I hear him poo poo. God help me, I smell it too. He starts pulling off some toilet paper. It's a men's room, that's what it's for.

Thing is, the entire time his fancy black dress shoes are facing TOWARDS the toilet.

So many questions: If you thought you just had to piss, why not use the urinal? If you thought you were going to poo poo, why not sit down? What the hell are you going to do now?

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

The Aphasian posted:

Once there was one of those grunting moaning unnecessary "thank you jesus" shitters in our lobby bathroom. (Maybe a board member? Maybe someone off the street?) Drove me insane, so as I was walking out the door I yelled "Don't worry, I'm calling 911, you'll be okay!" I hear "What? Wait, I..." and then the door closed.

If he had a terrible constipation I can easily imagine you say "thank you jesus" when you're finally done.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The only reason I can think of is that they don't dare fire him because he's the only person who knows how half the things at his level work, and to fire him would utterly gently caress themselves over.

Jesus christ, this thread :smith: First the Retail thread, now Corporate. At this rate, I'll never get a job for fear of having to deal with all this poo poo.

That's pretty much it - he has 30+ years experience and a great (I think) relationship with the department manager.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

sixide posted:

I can't believe a company allows the employees to accrue more than a few weeks. Everywhere I've been, you either lose the time or get automatically bought out once you accrue more than 2-6 weeks.

Hahahahahaha, are you serious?

My dad's been working for a very large chemicals company as a polymer engineer for the past 30-something years. Last I checked he had something in the area of 4 months accrued vacation. And it just keeps accruing.

If you're one of those guys that is critical for keeping things operating with clients (Say, having 30 years experience with every injection moulding machine on the planet) you take vacation whenever the gently caress you want, because the company literally cannot replace you. They're already making GBS threads bricks that he's at retirement age.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

My dad's been working for a very large chemicals company as a polymer engineer for the past 30-something years. Last I checked he had something in the area of 4 months accrued vacation. And it just keeps accruing.

If you're one of those guys that is critical for keeping things operating with clients (Say, having 30 years experience with every injection moulding machine on the planet) you take vacation whenever the gently caress you want, because the company literally cannot replace you. They're already making GBS threads bricks that he's at retirement age.

Aaah, I think I see your dad's plan (or at least it's what I would do.) Find out when the mandatory retirement is, then immediately put all that vacation time to use. Several months of paid vacation and then not even having to come in anymore? Hot drat. Probably a dick move, but from all the stories here about how lovely Corporate is, I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

That thing I sent
May 27, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!
That's what my dad is doing. He's one of those mission critical guys (Helped found the company with the former president, wrote all of their completely proprietary software, and naturally didn't do any sort of documentation because who would possibly need that!) and he's got I think 5 months of vacation saved up. He's inching towards retirement age, but the company is really lucky he has no plans to retire ever because he honestly loves what he does, and we always tease him that the day he retires is the day the paramedics forcibly remove him after he has a heart attack at his desk...and even then he'll probably still try to get out just one more email before he goes.

Must be nice to love your job that much. Today my day will be spent combining .pdf files. Look at how valuable I am! I just hate this time of year, it's almost over so no one has any budget left, so no new projects can start, so I'm forced to occupy myself until at least January with stupid busy work bullshit that needs to be done but I haaaaaaate it so god drat much.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

lavaca posted:

I worked for a company that set a cap on vacation days after not previously having one. The problem was that the cap took effect on the first day of the fiscal year and the people who'd accrued the most were all accountants. You don't want to encourage all of your accountants to take a bunch of days off right before the end of the fiscal year.

Ah, what happened is that your company forgot a few steps!

What you have to do is this:
#1 - Set a new cap on vacation days.
#2 - Modify your corporate policy (without announcing the actual changes, of course, just that "modifications have been made") to not pay out for unused vacation days. (Use it or lose it.)
#3 - Have it kick in on the first day of the fiscal year.
#4 - Instruct managers to deny all vacation requests until the new fiscal year.

Done! Everyone loses their vacation days, you don't pay out anything new, and it's perfectly okay if they quit, because you needed to reduce headcount anyway. Double bonus points to the manager if he worked a financial penalty clause in their contracts for quitting on short notice / before a certain number of years, because then you sue the employees as well!

quote:

I'm a bit envious of your dad. Many companies (including very large ones; my last one had ~135,000 employees at its "prime") are cutting vacation accrual now, if they even offer vacation days in the first place. I had an offer from a company last month who tried to claim they were giving me a signing bonus by letting me have one week of vacation per year. It was, as they put it, 3 days more than their non-professional-track employees.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 2, 2011

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have to use my vacation by the end of the calendar year. All the remaining 21.5 days. There's shitloads of work, my boss who's the only one who can do what I do in our region is starting an unrelated 6-week special project, and there are a bunch of newbies in need of hand holding, so it looks like I'm hosed. Well, depends on what actually happens if I don't use all the vacation, I wouldn't mind a buyout. Those BMWs aren't going to buy themselves after all.

This is more amusing then upsetting for me, but I'm waiting about half a year for my laptop now. Despite my manager's (and his manager's) approval for the higher-end model better suitable for development, my order has been changed I think three times now to a basic lame model, and completely canceled once.

The order has been delayed by the supply issues due to natural disasters in Asia, the model's replacement by an updated one, temporary issue with SSD reliability (but at least now I'm not hosed by the floods, right, Lenovo?), policy changes, and the general slowness of the ordering process. Even though there's a nice shopping cart application available which would enable easy tracking, we're supposed to email one person a list of poo poo we need, and hope nothing gets lost in the process. If there are any issues this time, I'm just going to wait for the Ivy Bridge update, it will be totally worth it!

Oh, almost forgot, I managed to order a bunch of IPS monitors worth over a grand for the aforementioned newbies, but apparently a laptop dock requires special advance approval from management :confused:

E:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Aaah, I think I see your dad's plan (or at least it's what I would do.) Find out when the mandatory retirement is, then immediately put all that vacation time to use. Several months of paid vacation and then not even having to come in anymore? Hot drat. Probably a dick move, but from all the stories here about how lovely Corporate is, I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

I'd retire and then sell them half the work for twice the money as a consultant.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 2, 2011

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Today payroll informed me that they hosed up my paycheck for the third time this year.

I am a "salaried" employee. I fill out retarded timesheets with a lot of 7s to equal 35 hours every week. My pay should never change.

The last time this happened I had to explain progressive taxation to two different departments

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Defenestration posted:

Today payroll informed me that they hosed up my paycheck for the third time this year.

I am a "salaried" employee. I fill out retarded timesheets with a lot of 7s to equal 35 hours every week. My pay should never change.

The last time this happened I had to explain progressive taxation to two different departments

Under the circumstances you've described, once is coincidence. Twice is bad luck. Three times is deliberate. Time to either gently caress someone up or quit.

I suppose I have something vaguely resembling content: My dad works for hospital corporate and it turned out that, for almost a year, they'd been paying him almost a dollar less then he actually should have been getting, so he has a poo poo-ton of back-pay waiting, probably being attached to his yearly bonus. The brass is, naturally, trying to screw him out of his backpay. If I find out more details, I'll divulge them, but as far as I know, their attempts have been flimsy and laughable.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 2, 2011

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Yesterday was my five-year anniversary with my company. I now start accruing a third week of vacation time every year. I guess this is not normal anymore?

Also, our vacation time expires after 18 months. No buyout or anything, it just goes away. On the bright side, they always use the oldest vacation time first when doing their accounting magic, so it's hard to actually lose it (no one is so integral they can't take a vacation).

In five more years, I'll get another week. That's the new cap as of last fiscal year. Before that, you could get a fifth week after 15 years, but vacation (and sick time and paid holidays) count against your chargability, and they found that people that had been around for 15+ years weren't using that extra week because it would wreck their chargability.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Under the circumstances you've described, once is coincidence. Twice is bad luck. Three times is deliberate. Time to either gently caress someone up or quit.

I suppose I have something vaguely resembling content: My dad works for hospital corporate and it turned out that, for almost a year, they'd been paying him almost a dollar less then he actually should have been getting, so he has a poo poo-ton of back-pay waiting, probably being attached to his yearly bonus. The brass is, naturally, trying to screw him out of his backpay. If I find out more details, I'll divulge them, but as far as I know, their attempts have been flimsy and laughable.
It's not malicious. I work for a giant company, they have a new payroll system this year, and everyone in michigan or wherever it is running it are just idiots. It happened to a bunch of my coworkers too. Including a transit pass deduction debacle (which i was not part of thank god because i just get my transit passes the old fashioned way)

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

OH NO!!!! AXE CUT YOU!!!!

Slip Slap posted:

you're the boss so if you want us in ball gowns and tap shoes, just say it.

I would actually really like a Fancy Friday. I mean, I work the front desk, so a certain level of spiffiness is required in my position, but an excuse to wear pearls and cheap champagne would go a long way towards making work a place I want to go to.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
I was excited to wear my lame halloween costume to work on Monday but I completely forgot.

I dont usually dress up too much for work. I'm usually hidden and depending on the day I can be doing some really messy/dusty work. I dont wear a tie or jacket because I'm afraid of being mistaken for a doctor and having patients try to tell me about their grossness in the waiting rooms.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Umbilical Lotus posted:

I would actually really like a Fancy Friday. I mean, I work the front desk, so a certain level of spiffiness is required in my position, but an excuse to wear pearls and cheap champagne would go a long way towards making work a place I want to go to.

Where I work every day is casual day, so Fancy Fridays would be great. It would be really odd to see everyone in suits and skirts/gowns.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
My company only allows folks to carry over five days of vacation time each year--and those five days can only be part of the set vacation time that everyone gets per year. We're allowed to buy up to 7 days of vacation time I think, but those bought days can't carry over for tax reasons. Granted, my company gives out more than the usual two weeks of PTO to everyone (including entry-level, first-year, new hire employees) so I'm not too upset by this.

I'm already pretty over business formal type clothes. If I never interact face-to-face with customers, why can't I just be comfortable while I work?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Nope. If you were comfortable, you might actually feel some brief moment of stability in your life, or feel like more than just a cog in a machine.

Can't have that! Now, if you're done whining already, you need to make me more money. Get back to work!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ornamented Death posted:

Yesterday was my five-year anniversary with my company. I now start accruing a third week of vacation time every year. I guess this is not normal anymore?

We had something similar in my old place.
But ours was added every year, so one day extra per year.

This was fine, but it was stopped after what I assume was some loving bean counter realized that our sub-1000 increasingly 'veteran' work force would mean paying 1000 paid days extra every year with no extra productivity back in return.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

There is a coworker who is very competent at what she does and doesn't raise a fuss no matter how difficult things get for her. She is also, currently, very pregnant. So our "social committee" is throwing a baby shower for her.

Besides the fact that I've received three emails and three visits to my desk about this, it has now caused a rift in the social committee because there has been a clash of personalities in the planning process.

I contributed but skipped the thing. How in the hell does this kind of drama start? I hate hearing raised - or worse - hushed voices and wandering into emotional minefields. It's such a contrast that the person the party is for is so happy-go-lucky and has no idea about the drama. At least, I hope it doesn't boil over.

People, you know?

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

The place I work at has slowly gone downhill over the last 2 years I've been there. I mean it started with dumbshit, but it just slowly got more and more... evil. Like just plain evil.

At first we had casual fridays taken away for some reason, even though most people didn't do it because we work in a hospital lab and I'd rather not get someones bodily fluids on my personal clothing. Then we suddenly all had to wear department specific uniforms but in ways that just boggle the mind. The idea is so the patients/visitors can tell what your job is, but no one really tells them and even then they don't really know the difference. Plus the lab doesn't have contact with non-employees, so patients never see us to begin with.

Around the same time as the uniforms someone on the board happened to either be in one of our hospitals or visit someone who was or some poo poo, anyway they decided all TVs must be removed and discarded and flat screens put in. Basically the problem with these 2 items is they cost the hospital hundreds of thousands if not in the million range to uniform all employees and replace all the working TVs with new HDTVs.

Then we got a new director whose ability to understand finances are just confusing at best. Being that this is a major hospital, which is under a major healthcare corporation, our budget is in the hundreds of millions/billions range. So we got a new instrument over a year ago we don't use, instead we continue to use the 2 much older lovely ones. The problem is we have to pay for all 3 regardless. These instruments cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in contracts. Bringing in consultants costs money, getting them repaired when they're out of date costs money. Sending out tests because they've broken costs money. So for some reason they've decided the best way to limit these damages is to send people home early since the census is down. Hundreds of thousands of dollars lost due to incompetence yet we're being sent home saving hundreds of dollars.

Then just to really tip the scales into evil, the corporation we're under has decided if you do not participate in the health screening, you are limited to the lowest tier of health insurance. However, if you do participate, they reserve the right to give your entire information to whomsoever they please, for whatever reason they deem fit, at any time. Without your consent or knowledge.

To make it even worse the competing chain of hospitals in my area is taking their own brand of shame out on its employees as well, which means going there won't go any better for me and that the chain I work for doesn't have to offer as much to its employees because hey the other guy doesn't.

You just know that once the census is up again and they've robbed us of everything they could, they definitely won't give any of it back. So I'm gonna stay until my lease is up or I get laid off or something. Just gotta make it to the summer.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

The Aphasian posted:

Thing is, the entire time his fancy black dress shoes are facing TOWARDS the toilet.

So many questions: If you thought you just had to piss, why not use the urinal? If you thought you were going to poo poo, why not sit down? What the hell are you going to do now?
:ms: It's not that confusing

Five Dollar Ninja
Mar 26, 2010
Driving. That is my sole reason I no longer want to work where I do.

For example, I am based in Austin. I'm a network engineer, which means I set up and repair systems and networks, and in my case, it's for doctors, lawyers, and country clubs - basically rich smarmy fucks who will always pay the bills, but not know what the hell "have you tried turning it off and on again" means.

We specifically bought a remote support device (Bomgar) to support our out of town clients... yet I have put over 25,000 miles on my car since the end of April. Most of that is to commute to Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and on occasion Odessa and Orange (it's at the rear end-end of the Louisiana/Texas border on I-10, and reeks of burned tires, leaky oil wells and the particularly redolent scent of unwashed hillbilly).

However, I only get paid $450 a month flat in mileage. Anything else I have to claim on my taxes, and I can't get back more than I paid for the year.

TL;DR: Drove 25K in business miles in 6 months, getting paid for only 900 miles a month. Getting refunded on taxes only refunds what I actually paid; boss won't pay more. Basically driving my car into the ground to keep my job.

Oh, and the perpetual on-call plus regular 16 - 18 hour days sucks too.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I think I may have botched a job interview today by allowing myself to express my frustration with the infrastructure at my current job :sigh: The new job is with the same company I work for now, just in a different division with a different customer. They seem to have their poo poo together, unlike the group I'm in, but I can't help but feel like they frowned on me saying that.

I really want this job. It's basically the exact same responsibilities I have now, except they understand the concept of a consistent workload, the customer is much less of a PITA, the commute is about an hour and a half less than what I have now, and parking is free rather than $222 per month.

I really hope I didn't gently caress this up :ohdear:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
God I'm paranoid at the prospect of a future job interview and being unable to resist dissing my current place.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cheesus posted:

God I'm paranoid at the prospect of a future job interview and being unable to resist dissing my current place.

Practice saying either nice or ambivalent things out loud. Just whatever you do, don't diss the old job in an interview.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Cheesus posted:

You can always phrase it in terms that your new employer will think are reasonable and not whiny, e.g. "the job wasn't challenging anymore, I wasn't learning anything new", "my pay did not reflect the amount of responsibilities I had and the results I made for the company", "management is laying off a lot of my colleagues and I think I might be next". I mean, any new company will want to know why you want out and it's not a crime to admit a reason, just don't make it "ugh my boss is such a BITCH!" even if it's true.

Merou posted:

The place I work at has slowly gone downhill over the last 2 years I've been there. I mean it started with dumbshit, but it just slowly got more and more... evil. Like just plain evil.

At first we had casual fridays taken away for some reason, even though most people didn't do it because we work in a hospital lab and I'd rather not get someones bodily fluids on my personal clothing. Then we suddenly all had to wear department specific uniforms but in ways that just boggle the mind. The idea is so the patients/visitors can tell what your job is, but no one really tells them and even then they don't really know the difference. Plus the lab doesn't have contact with non-employees, so patients never see us to begin with.

Around the same time as the uniforms someone on the board happened to either be in one of our hospitals or visit someone who was or some poo poo, anyway they decided all TVs must be removed and discarded and flat screens put in. Basically the problem with these 2 items is they cost the hospital hundreds of thousands if not in the million range to uniform all employees and replace all the working TVs with new HDTVs.

Then we got a new director whose ability to understand finances are just confusing at best. Being that this is a major hospital, which is under a major healthcare corporation, our budget is in the hundreds of millions/billions range. So we got a new instrument over a year ago we don't use, instead we continue to use the 2 much older lovely ones. The problem is we have to pay for all 3 regardless. These instruments cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in contracts. Bringing in consultants costs money, getting them repaired when they're out of date costs money. Sending out tests because they've broken costs money. So for some reason they've decided the best way to limit these damages is to send people home early since the census is down. Hundreds of thousands of dollars lost due to incompetence yet we're being sent home saving hundreds of dollars.

Then just to really tip the scales into evil, the corporation we're under has decided if you do not participate in the health screening, you are limited to the lowest tier of health insurance. However, if you do participate, they reserve the right to give your entire information to whomsoever they please, for whatever reason they deem fit, at any time. Without your consent or knowledge.

To make it even worse the competing chain of hospitals in my area is taking their own brand of shame out on its employees as well, which means going there won't go any better for me and that the chain I work for doesn't have to offer as much to its employees because hey the other guy doesn't.

You just know that once the census is up again and they've robbed us of everything they could, they definitely won't give any of it back. So I'm gonna stay until my lease is up or I get laid off or something. Just gotta make it to the summer.

Ah, yes. My dad, a life-long union activist, calls this "the slender salami policy" where they slice off small parts each time to that people don't feel the need to protest.

Luigi's Discount Porn Bin
Jul 19, 2000

Oven Wrangler

Merou posted:

What. How is this legal?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Practice saying either nice or ambivalent things out loud. Just whatever you do, don't diss the old job in an interview.
"There was no room for growth in my previous position." HR people understand it, and it's diplomatic because you can leave it at that and it sounds like you're just looking to advance rather than finishing "... because my boss was an intolerable shithead who was out to get me."

Luigi's Discount Porn Bin posted:

What. How is this legal?
Even if there is a loophole they've found, whoever is the head of HIPPA compliance should be dragged into the street and shot.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
another email was sent about DESPERATELY NEEDING additional people in other locations.

:byodame: Why does your availability for next year say every order Saturday?!
:j: cause I have a study group
:byodame: every OTHER Saturday?!
:j: No, every Saturday but ill be missing one every other week since I have to work.
:byodame: oh.. I forgot you don't have to work every Saturday, you've been doing it for so long!

:smithicide: this was directly after my half hour reprimand for calling out incorrectly. Since there's only three people in my position instead of four like there used to be, I've been working consecutive Saturdays for almost a year. Two months ago my bosses boss found it in her heart to finally get me two days off in a row.

Although I have to thank my boss. I just re-enrolled for full time units and am 90% of the way of having my financial aid approved. In one year ill be attending a lovely university. I liked my job, so I got comfortable in it. Now that I'm not, I'm gunning as hard as I can to get out and finish school/relocate. Hell, I'm applying for jobs that are a 2 hour train ride away because the pay in the bay area would still net me double my income after commute costs. Also, train rides are the poo poo.

Thanks boss, but I still hope you get an ulcer or something.

Edit: I've made a game of guessing how many minutes after I start she'll wait to reprimand me and what kind of ludicrous reason she'll think up.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 8, 2011

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
So I'm an assistant store management trainee for a Canadian grocery chain. Last week me and the 15 or so people in my program had a graduation day, where we were supposed to present the results of our impact on operations at store level over the last 3 months. Meeting is at 8 am in a town over an hour's drive away. We wrote up our results, made graphs, posted up photos on bristle boards. Store managers, district managers and HR personnel were supposed to show up to review our results, about 20 people altogether. How many did show? TWO, and nobody important either. And then we had a brainstorming session where one of the topics was about the best way for managers to motivate their staff. It was distilled irony in its purest form.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Apparently I didn't botch that interview after all - I got a call today from HR telling me that an offer letter is being drafted!

It's still corporate, and it's still IT, and it's not what I want to be doing forever, but it's a damned sight better and I am not above choosing the lesser of two evils.

Who knows, maybe with this change I'll actually have a chance of making it five years and getting my employer matched 401(k) funds vested :unsmith:

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!
I finally transferred to my new position. It's a team coordinator position (I used to be an analyst), and it's in a different division of the same parent company. Oh, just a little detail they forgot to tell me... employees of this division don't get free the free clinic service (medical consults, medicine, surgery, check-ups, dentist, psychologist, nutritionist... you name it! All completely for no cost!)... if they'd told me like a week ago I could've done so much done! Like getting my wisdom teeth yanked out and not have to pay $800 like I already had to do with a regular dentist.

Argh! I really hate HR, they're the loving worst! They can't even get my name right... it's like they're a bunch of high school kids running the department, really shoddy work!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
There was an opening for someone in a higher paying position in my group. Three different people told me I should apply. Despite the fact that the requirements called for a degree and an amount of experience dating back to me being in high school, I applied. Hell, I'm not qualified for my position from a technical standpoint, but I've done the same stuff he did (albeit on a smaller scale) and I wouldn't have to be trained on anything, just go through a refresher. I'd actually be stepping in ahead of the other guy they hired a month ago as his clone.
My current position is less technical, and there is already someone in my group who could take over. Their position is the starting point here, and it would be easier to find a new hire and train them.
Just got the email that they extended an offer to someone and it was accepted.
Now, I never fully expected to even get an interview, but it's still a total kick in the dick, especially after the people we work for told me I should apply. They felt I was qualified and could do the job, yet corporate doesn't even think I'm good enough to be interviewed?
They tell me I'm the "technical lead" for my group. They go on about how great we all are at our jobs, how much the customer loves us, but considering us for advancement? gently caress no. It's all loving words. Pointless words that are meant to make us feel warm, fuzzy and content. Words are so easy because they're free. They cost the company nothing. What a deal! I know there are higher ups that would love to give us pay increases or bonuses, but it's just not in the cards. We just have to wait for our yearly $200ish if the company makes a profit. Thanks for the extra $3.85 a week! Go team! /rant

On another note, the gently caress is the deal with people not following a simple copy>paste>fill in the blanks format, doing it in a more complicated manner, complaining about it being complicated and taking it as a personal attack when you politely tell them that there's a predefined format?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Edit: Nothing is permanent.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Sometimes things need to be relinked in our system. My :byodame:Supervisor:byodame: does this. There is a shelf dedicated to this. The only thing that goes on that shelf is items that need to be relinked, nothing else. This, however, is too confusing. Now, if something needs to be relinked we have to use a marker (formerly reserved for items that belonged to other branches and were being sent there), mark that it needs to be relinked and set it on the "to be relinked" shelf. Every marker gets thrown out, instead of reused. Oh yeah, we also need to work on cutting down how much stuff we waste

:psyduck:

I stopped speaking and basically stopped doing any real work and my boss pretty much leaves me alone now. Hurrah

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 15, 2011