Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
Is the bigfoot logo on the side of police cars a reference to the rumor from GTA:SA that if you hung out in the countryside area during a specific time bigfoot would show up? http://gta.wikia.com/Bigfoot

If so, thats a pretty cool wink from Rockstar to the fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FetusOvaries
Jun 16, 2010

I'll kiss you in the rain
In reality, Interstate 5 connects Los Angeles and the San Francisco area

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In reality this is a video game and not a road atlas

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

You guys, you guys. What if the presence of dogs on the beach precludes the possibility....

...of police dogs. :3:

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
You're speculating that the narrator for the video is more-than-likely not the player character based on really nothing, but giving this guy poo poo for pointing out a potential real-world reference built into the game?

The Statue of Liberty doesn't really hold a 20oz cup, guys. :rolleyes:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Install Gentoo posted:

If the distance is proper long enough, it'd be impossible to see the next city over in real life, let alone in a video game. You don't need a mountain to block rendering if the place is "actually" 10 miles away.

And it isn't like GTA IV had to render the entire city at the same time either, no special stuff was needed to block rendering.

I'm pretty sure they did use buildings to block rendering. That's just basic level design. If something is behind something else, you don't draw it. So there were tall buildings in the middle of the map that they could use to block the rendering of the entire other island.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

dundun posted:

Is the bigfoot logo on the side of police cars a reference to the rumor from GTA:SA that if you hung out in the countryside area during a specific time bigfoot would show up? http://gta.wikia.com/Bigfoot

If so, thats a pretty cool wink from Rockstar to the fans.

More than likely. The sasquatches in Red Dead were probably the same.

FetusOvaries
Jun 16, 2010

I'll kiss you in the rain

I see that there. posted:

In reality this is a video game and not a road atlas

well what's the point of putting Interstate 5 on a sign

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

fuckyoubitch posted:

It's exactly the same poo poo goons would be doing if they hadn't already made that video, goons are loving awful with speculation and trailers.
I know. I loving hate goons.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FetusOvaries posted:

In reality, Interstate 5 connects Los Angeles and the San Francisco area

Actually it connects the Mexican border in San Diego up through LA into Sacramento. You take 80 or 580 over into SF itself.

I do hope we get a mexican border area....

Cojawfee posted:

I'm pretty sure they did use buildings to block rendering. That's just basic level design. If something is behind something else, you don't draw it. So there were tall buildings in the middle of the map that they could use to block the rendering of the entire other island.

You know how on PC you move a slider for draw distance? The game can just be set to fog out and not render anything greater than X distance from camera. You really don't need to put objects in the way.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Look, it's one thing for fans and other people to speculate like crazy, but it's another when someone like IGN does the same thing and further highlights how much of a joke game journalism is.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Video game journalism and all that but gently caress it, I loved Tommy Vercetti and I think GTAV would be kick rear end if it was about him :colbert:

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I think it could be Tommy too with a different voice actor but the blue car comparison was hilarious.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I find myself feeling uncomfortable about the whole black guy = CJ thing. Do people really think only one black person is allowed to exist in a series?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

That Awful Nick posted:

You guys, you guys. What if the presence of dogs on the beach precludes the possibility....

...of police dogs. :3:

It better not. I have no qualms about mowing down oldies ladies with walkers in my car, but I really don't want to have to shoot police dogs. Throw in a mini game about dog walking for your neighbors. More minigames I say!!

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

davebo posted:

It better not. I have no qualms about mowing down oldies ladies with walkers in my car, but I really don't want to have to shoot police dogs. Throw in a mini game about dog walking for your neighbors. More minigames I say!!

Police dogs would be the one thing that finally convinces me to surrender to the law. I can spray down police officers all day with my SMG or whatever, fire RPG's into helicopters, ram into SWAT vans. But I can't shoot a puppy. I will absolutely stop instantly if the LSPD deploys a K9. :3:

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

-Dethstryk- posted:

Look...IGN...[was always]...joke game journalism
EGM's the only game journalism I read, and that's more because I like to know seanbaby is gainfully employed.

I, Butthole posted:

Video game journalism and all that but gently caress it, I loved Tommy Vercetti and I think GTAV would be kick rear end if it was about him :colbert:

I don't know. I liked Vercetti too, but that's because it was top-of-his game Tommy. Could you imagine (how old would he be?) a 52-year-old Tommy running around trying to get together his finances because his kid's scholarship was cancelled to the local state college?

Momomo posted:

I find myself feeling uncomfortable about the whole black guy = CJ thing. Do people really think only one black person is allowed to exist in a series?

8-ball will always be "that black guy from GTA" for me.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Momomo posted:

I find the speculation a bit spurious for other reasons, but the guy in the trailer did share more characteristics with CJ than just "black".

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Games > Grand Theft Auto V: "After 5 years on the east coast it was time to go home."

Momomo posted:

No kidding. There's no way that's CJ when its so obviously Lance Vance.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Colonel Whitey posted:

I find the speculation a bit spurious for other reasons, but the guy in the trailer did share more characteristics with CJ than just "black".

He also wears a wifebeater. Just looking at the guy's face alone tells me it's definitely not CJ.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
GTA V: The Legend of Bigfoot & Vance

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Momomo posted:

He also wears a wifebeater. Just looking at the guy's face alone tells me it's definitely not CJ.

Exhibit a) Tattoos
Exhibit b) How the hell can you compare a blocky PS2 face of a twenty-something year old to a current-gen face of a forty-something year old?

I'm not saying I think it's CJ, I'm just saying that people who think it might be are not automatically racist.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Exhibit a) Tattoos
Exhibit b) How the hell can you compare a blocky PS2 face of a twenty-something year old to a current-gen face of a forty-something year old?

I'm not saying I think it's CJ, I'm just saying that people who think it might be are not automatically racist.

So says Colonel Whitey.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Game is gonna be released like a hybrid of GTA4 and StarCraft 2. Disc will be Los Santos and the primary character, DLC expansion packs will be stories set in San Fierro and Las Venturas with new characters. Each city/area will be near the size of GTA4's map but won't be on disc or accessible without the sequel-expansions.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Colonel Whitey posted:

Exhibit a) Tattoos

If you showed me the concept art for CJ, I would honestly not know it was him.

Seriously

vs.

Maybe I'm just a racist though.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
I do think they intentionally at least put in characters that would be mistaken for CJ and Niko.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Don't really know what to say about the tattoos, but that concept art does change things. This new guy looks closer to that than how CJ actually looked ingame.

Panzerfaust
Jul 8, 2006

Just when you think that there's nobody around to kill you, BOOM, remote controlled Panzerfaust outta nowhere.

Role Play McMurphy posted:

I do think they intentionally at least put in characters that would be mistaken for CJ and Niko.
My thoughts exactly. Even if neither of those characters have anything to do with CJ or Niko, there's no way Rockstar did that by accident. They absolutely intended to feed fan speculation that "hey, maybe the black guy with the tats and wifebeater is actually CJ" because it's in their best interest to have people talking about the game. Accusing people who speculate such of being racist is just stupid.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Role Play McMurphy posted:

And frank west.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think the biggest argument for it being more than one city is the fact that, as far as it appears in the trailer, Los Santos doesn't have any natural barriers. How are they going to unlock different sections of the city if it doesn't seem to be on more than one island?

Oh god, I've started with the unfounded speculation, someone kill me.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Panzerfaust posted:

Accusing people who speculate such of being racist is just stupid.

That's just what the racists want you to think!

But yeah, I'm more intrigued by that brief look at a mission we saw. Costumed heists and criminal activity are a fun concept, and I'd love it if you could choose various ways of approaching a situation by having different costume types. That's probably not the case, but I'm allowed to dream.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Coolodile posted:

Games > Grand Theft Auto V: "After 5 years on the east coast it was time to go home."

No kidding. There's no way that's CJ when its so obviously Lance Vance.
Tommy continued his life of crime until he decided to leave it all behind him and move to the other coast. Be a good guy, you know, a family man. To his surprise, Tommy finds Lance is alive and well in Los Santos. Turns out, the shootout at Starfish Island wasn't really the last dance for Lance Vance. Now Tommy must decide whether to return to his "previous line of work" and go after Lance or continue on the right track. And, well, you know how it is...

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Coolodile posted:

Los Santos doesn't have any natural barriers. How are they going to unlock different sections of the city if it doesn't seem to be on more than one island?

just a lot of road barricades. I mean a lot.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

wa27 posted:

Tommy continued his life of crime until he decided to leave it all behind him and move to the other coast. Be a good guy, you know, a family man. To his surprise, Tommy finds Lance is alive and well in Los Santos. Turns out, the shootout at Starfish Island wasn't really the last dance for Lance Vance. Now Tommy must decide whether to return to his "previous line of work" and go after Lance or continue on the right track. And, well, you know how it is...

Lance's brother, CJ "Grand Theft Auto III" Vance.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Why do people think this will be tied into the old games when IV was a clean slate?

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

The guys in that IGN video don't know what they're talking about for other reasons as well.

They say that the windmills are remakes of those in the Los Alamont pass on the way to San Francisco, but the terrain around them looks exactly like that around some of the windmills that are on the way to Palm Springs from LA and, more importantly, the turbines themselves are far closer to those in Palm Springs, especially if you compare the supports... not to mention that the Palm Springs turbines are much more iconic, making it actually worthwhile to show them in a teaser (even most people who live in California probably never heard of Los Alamont or its windmills).

They also say that the mountain that is shown briefly implies that Yosemite will be in the game... despite not at all looking like Yosemite (there is something important in that shot that it seems that no one else has mentioned, though: the trees on the right-hand side appear to be redwoods, which I don't think really grow in forests like that anywhere in southern California).

Saying that just any old mountain is a stand-in for something that should be as identifiable as Yosemite is almost as bad as if they had said that every black guy wearing a wifebeater was CJ... which they do to both guys black buys wearing wifebeaters despite one having tattoos where the other doesn't (no, they don't look like CJ and they even explain themselves how it wouldn't make sense to say they look like CJ... they might as well say the guy putting up the "foreclosed" sign is CJ).

They also say that the 5 freeway making an appearance is a sign that San Fierro will be in the game, but the 5 freeway is significant in LA itself, and if RockStar is going to do a semi-faithful reproduction of LA, then they would have to include the 5 or an analog anyway (another notable thing they didn't point out is that the real 5 freeway is named after San Diego and the one in this game is named after "Los Puerta", a place that didn't feature in San Andreas at all, so I personally think this naming of the 5 freeway implies more about what's south of Los Santos rather than what's north... they also didn't seem to notice the 2 freeway sign in the shot with the homeless guy, which is a very minor freeway when compared to the 5, mostly existing outside of and north of Los Angeles but not actually passing as close to the taller buildings in LA as the sign would imply, so it's not even clear if the freeway numbers will correspond in a really meaningful way to their real-life counterparts).

Edit: I should say that the 2 technically passes pretty close to downtown, but at that part of it it's just like any other surface street and not a real freeway yet... and even that's a few exits away from downtown while on the freeway that crosses it which does pass through downtown, but that freeway also doesn't pass quite as close to the really tall buildings as it appears in the trailer, so if the freeways correspond to their real-life counterparts, we can at least be sure the LA area will be significantly smaller than it is in real life.

Willie Trombone fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 3, 2011

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People can tell where windmills are from based on what they look like? I lived in the bay area for 11 years and saw windmills all the time. They all looked the same to me.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

People can tell where windmills are from based on what they look like? I lived in the bay area for 11 years and saw windmills all the time. They all looked the same to me.

If you've seen the Palm Springs windmills and you've seen the Altamont Pass windmills, you know the difference, yes.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Los Alamont:

another: http://www.flickr.com/photos/benjamin_bonnet/5146385085/

Palm Springs is mostly these, by contrast:

another (better and bigger): http://i.imgur.com/HQZe2.jpg

This is the look I'm guessing they were approximating (imagine everything after the foreground windmills was eliminated so that mountains could be put much closer behind):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Coolodile posted:

I think the biggest argument for it being more than one city is the fact that, as far as it appears in the trailer, Los Santos doesn't have any natural barriers. How are they going to unlock different sections of the city if it doesn't seem to be on more than one island?

In San Andreas they loaded you up on max wanted level if you ventured out too early. There is always some contrived explanation for the barriers, but it's not really a big deal.

• Locked thread