Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004
Also try toy-palace.com. German site, but there's an English mirror site and they ship to the UK.

The prop replicas are several hundred pounds though, so you could try somewhere like Rebelscum.com forums if you don't mind secondhand stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
So this guy choked his wife in a fit of rage.

... Anakin? Is that you?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ecureuilmatrix posted:

... Anakin? Is that you?

Lucas was truly a visionary in denying Jedi the right to marry.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Telegraph posted:

During a subsequent row, he suffocated his wife then ran off sobbing to his mother who lived in a nearby street.
Anakin's mom was dead :colbert:

Huitzil
May 25, 2010

by elpintogrande

ecureuilmatrix posted:

... Anakin? Is that you?

Upon reading that article, the fact that she destroyed his Star Wars memorabilia is probably the least relevant and least hosed-up thing going on in that story.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
I'm watching the second volume of the Clone Wars microseries and you know what I find ironic? The fact that they got a badass like Samuel L Jackson to play Mace Windu and don't have him do anything interesting or cool for 3 movies, but animated Mace Windu takes out entire an battalion of battle droids singlehandedly.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Sam Jackson's not a young man anymore.

I don't see what's ironic about the cartoon version of the character kicking ludicrous amounts of rear end.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Chairman Capone posted:

Lucas was truly a visionary in denying Jedi the right to marry.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Locutus of Bald posted:

I'm watching the second volume of the Clone Wars microseries and you know what I find ironic? The fact that they got a badass like Samuel L Jackson to play Mace Windu and don't have him do anything interesting or cool for 3 movies, but animated Mace Windu takes out entire an battalion of battle droids singlehandedly.

He faced down Palpatine and won (at least, the novelization definitely put it that he had him beat). Just ignore the fact that the little twerp got involved okay? :colbert:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Locutus of Bald posted:

but animated Mace Windu takes out entire an battalion of battle droids singlehandedly.

While not saying a single word, if I remember correctly. It was really funny how that made him even less like the monotone character from the movies.

quote:

Sam Jackson's not a young man anymore.

I'm not sure if this ironic or not, but if you are willing to cheat enough with lighting, editing and CGI to put Christopher Lee into action scenes you have no excuse to not use Jackson.

quote:

He faced down Palpatine and won (at least, the novelization definitely put it that he had him beat). Just ignore the fact that the little twerp got involved okay?

Doesn't count, Palpatine was exhausted from murdering those other guys in the room.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Grendels Dad posted:

Doesn't count, Palpatine was exhausted from murdering those other guys in the room.

Why? It's not like it was all that hard.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Grendels Dad posted:

This debate comes up a lot, and it'll never be proven, but I personally think that, THEMATICALLY, it fits better for Palpatine to be toying with Mace at first to draw it out but losing due to his arrogance and overconfidence. This is something Lucas writes in almost every movie, how the powerful get too cocky and it costs them.

Maul fools around instead of just killing the helpless Obi-Wan.
Hero version: Obi-Wan thinks he can train Anakin.
Also hero: Anakin is too cocky and gets his arm chopped off by Dooku.
Dooku thinks he can take on two Jedi at once and fails miserably.
Grievous takes on Obi-Wan alone despite having an army.
Tarkin thinks the death star is invincible.
Hero version: Luke thinks he's ready to take on Vader and totally fails.
And, finally, Palpatine thinks he's totally corrupted Luke, but interrupts the climactic moment because he can't help cackling in triumph causing Luke to pause before he finally kills Vader and falls into the dark side.

Overconfidence is the weakness Lucas writes into his characters.

So while we'll never EXACTLY know, THEMATICALLY it fits that Palpatine's arrogance ALMOST costs him everything at the moment of truth with Windu.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 3, 2011

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Grendels Dad posted:

Stabbing dudes who just stare at the wall is tiring work, I tells ya.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mister Roboto posted:

This debate comes up a lot, and it'll never be proven, but I personally think that, THEMATICALLY, it fits better for Palpatine to be toying with Mace at first to draw it out but losing due to his arrogance and overconfidence. This is something Lucas writes in almost every movie, how the powerful get too cocky and it costs them.

I'm not averse to the theory that Palpatine could have killed Windu any time he wanted. That would have actually been consistent with what happened three seconds earlier. Since the PT had already established that Palps is omniscient at that point, he probably knew Anakin was coming to his office and drew out the fight long enough to trick Anakin into "saving" him.

A thing that was pointed out to me just today was how Windu standing over Palpatine "rhymes" with the throne room-scene in RotJ. There, Palpatine challenges Luke to strike him down because that would complete his turn to the Dark Side. Consequently, Windu striking down Palpatine should have been a meaningful moment. It's quite puzzling how the scene ignores that parallel, considering how obsessed Lucas is with parallels.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm not averse to the theory that Palpatine could have killed Windu any time he wanted. That would have actually been consistent with what happened three seconds earlier. Since the PT had already established that Palps is omniscient at that point, he probably knew Anakin was coming to his office and drew out the fight long enough to trick Anakin into "saving" him.

I think the novelization states this exact thing. Been a while since I read it, but I kind of remember that.

Grendels Dad posted:

A thing that was pointed out to me just today was how Windu standing over Palpatine "rhymes" with the throne room-scene in RotJ. There, Palpatine challenges Luke to strike him down because that would complete his turn to the Dark Side. Consequently, Windu striking down Palpatine should have been a meaningful moment. It's quite puzzling how the scene ignores that parallel, considering how obsessed Lucas is with parallels.

I've actually never realized that, but it fits well. I believe Lucas also intended the scene near the start of ROTS, with Palpatine captive on the Sep ship and Anakin fighting Dooku, to be a mirror of the ROTJ throne room scene also.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Chairman Capone posted:

I believe Lucas also intended the scene near the start of ROTS, with Palpatine captive on the Sep ship and Anakin fighting Dooku, to be a mirror of the ROTJ throne room scene also.

What exactly was that room? It was a gigantic, empty room with a throne set up for a great view. And the throne has wrist restraints. Some kind of bondage dungeon that Grievous had just started furnishing?

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

What exactly was that room? It was a gigantic, empty room with a throne set up for a great view. And the throne has wrist restraints. Some kind of bondage dungeon that Grievous had just started furnishing?

Use force luke!!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Grendels Dad posted:

It does parallel it, though?

Anakin is standing there watching someone be electrocuted and is torn which one to help.

First time around, he is young and foolish and makes the wrong choice and falls to the Dark side.

20 years later, he makes the right choice and destroys the Dark Side.

So ROTS is Anakin making the wrong choice, and Lucas obviously wanted the scene to reflect ROTJ's Anakin finally making the right choice.

Lucas' edits further establish that, NOO and such.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 5, 2011

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Mister Roboto posted:

Off the top of my head, here's three popular youtube ones:

Phantom edit: Possibly the earliest one, basically just cuts most of Jar Jar and Anakin. No real changes.

Magnoliafan: Editor who REALLY likes details. Changes Jar Jar and all the alien dialogue to a different language so they have darker dialogue in subtitles instead. Likes making in-jokes for fans with edits, like changing Dooku's saber yellow. Not the best writer, but at least tries. Also has a weird sense of humor.

http://www.youtube.com/user/magnoliafan78#p/u/0/uq5nxaUebIA

Adywan: Editor big on Special effects, likes fixing errors, like the wrong laser color and such. Very big on "comparison" edits. Has some good talent when it comes to adding more effects, I must say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6ldJJanD4c

The Magnoliafan one looks interesting, I might have to check those out. I didn't like the Phantom Edit because I never thought Jar Jar was the problem with Phantom Menace. Sure he was annoying at first, but he wasn't so bad as the movie went on. Plus he's the identifiable protagonist in the movie before we meet Anakin, and Anakin gets cut out a lot too in this edit. Still, I'm happy he cut out some of the Anakin's bad delivery of lines.

The only one I've seen was Adywan's, which I actually greatly enjoyed, but think he overdid it in parts, his purist version is better though, and I think is better than even the original version of the film.

Here's his change list: http://swrevisited.wordpress.com/anhr-change-list/

The changes are extensive, you can tell the guy is meticulous as hell. He spent two years on this after all. He has a lot of talent with effects clean up and tweaking. I kind of wish Lucas hired him to work on the cleanup for the bluray edition, though it probably would have taken much longer to release.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

First time around, he is young and foolish and makes the wrong choice, and Lucas obviously wanted the scene to reflect ROTJ's.

Lucas' edits further establish that, NOO and such.

And of course it's always the OT that's edited to fit in with the PT, rather than vice-versa.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Hey guys, just wanted to ruin everyone's day by reminding you all that this picture exists and is canon:

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Dude thinks about his dead wife while chilling in his meditation chamber, that doesn't ruin my day.
The picture could have less giant head.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Chairman Capone posted:

I think the novelization states this exact thing. Been a while since I read it, but I kind of remember that.

I've actually never realized that, but it fits well. I believe Lucas also intended the scene near the start of ROTS, with Palpatine captive on the Sep ship and Anakin fighting Dooku, to be a mirror of the ROTJ throne room scene also.

It is. If you read The Secret History of Star Wars it mentions that it was meant to be a mirror of that scene if Luke had made the other choice (Struck down Vader once and for all), that scene was originally supposed to come at the end but for some reason they shifted it around (The book explained it I just don't recall it) and it caused a lot of stupid problems. Not that the movie could have been saved had this been fixed, just saying it added to it, since it killed off Dooku and made Grievous a necessity, because we needed a second villian to carry the plot so he got thrown in. Had that scene been at the end it's likely Obi Wan would have been chasing down Dooku for the film, not Grievous.

Stupid name aside I like Dooku after he's been fleshed out in some of the EU stuff and it would have been nice to see that in the films. The prequels instead have 3 villains for 3 movies, we never get enough time to know any of them, so it doesn't feel like a particularly strong victory when they die. They exist purely to die, there's nothing fulfilling about that.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 7, 2011

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

I know there's a lot of poo poo in the EU but this is actually one of the more endearing gems among the poo poo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I hate these wimpy Vader pictures because they completely undermine what Luke accomplished in the OT. I always imagined that Vader was just evil and spared no time for any emotions such as remorse until Luke came along and turned him back from the Dark Side.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I hate these wimpy Vader pictures because they completely undermine what Luke accomplished in the OT. I always imagined that Vader was just evil and spared no time for any emotions such as remorse until Luke came along and turned him back from the Dark Side.

You aren't the only one.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think it can go either way. When Vader says "It's too late for me...my son", he would have actually have had to have a shred of decency and understanding to be able to reflect on himself like that. Whether it was always there or provoked by Luke is up for debate I guess.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think it can go either way. When Vader says "It's too late for me...my son", he would have actually have had to have a shred of decency and understanding to be able to reflect on himself like that. Whether it was always there or provoked by Luke is up for debate I guess.

Yeah, that I believed was provoked by Luke. The turning point I feel was when the Emperor let Vader know that Luke was his son in ESB. Prior to that he was just an emotionless killing machine.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Darth Vader: A small rebel force has penetrated the shield and landed on Endor.
The Emperor: Yes, I know.
Darth Vader: My son is with them.
The Emperor: Are you sure?
Darth Vader: I have *felt* him, my master.
The Emperor: Strange that I have not. I wonder if your feelings on this matter are clear, Lord Vader.
Darth Vader: They are clear, my master.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I actually like the moment depicted in that comic, I just can't stand the holding 3P0's head to his own. It's too heavy handed. It should have been a motionless stare, like he was stunned.

Same thing with his "Frankenstein" scene. He shouldn't have said a word, and his only physical response should have been, at most, a clenching fist. Meanwhile, his anger just tears the poo poo out of everything around him.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Locutus of Bald posted:

Hey guys, just wanted to ruin everyone's day by reminding you all that this picture exists and is canon:

The reason that I don't have a problem with this is what Yoda says it ESB. Pain and suffering also lead to the dark side. Anakin being in anguish actually pushes him further to the dark side.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If he was just evil, then there would not have 'still been good in him,' would there?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Locutus of Bald posted:

It's the Star Wars equivalent of :ughh: !

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Payndz posted:

It's the Star Wars equivalent of :ughh: !

I thought the same thing. Was hoping to see someone use it.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I always imagined that Vader was just evil and spared no time for any emotions such as remorse

I would say that's a really dumb thing to think, but complex characters are anathema to George Lucas's universe, and we're all dumber for engaging in it. drat you, Lucas.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Van Dis posted:

I would say that's a really dumb thing to think, but complex characters are anathema to George Lucas's universe, and we're all dumber for engaging in it. drat you, Lucas.

On the one hand, you've got a guy who has committed multiple mass murders, including children and has a knack for torture. He thinks nothing of killing employees (so to speak) for their mistakes. It's difficult to imagine forgiving such a person in real life. If Heinrich Himmler had surrendered himself to the Allies in 1944, said he was really really sorry, and gave some information that helped end the war, would he be forgiven? Would anyone believe that he was sincere? Even if he sacrificed his life to do it?

On the other hand, "Sorry about the last twenty years Luke, I'll pitch this old gently caress down the shaft now. We good?"

It's like Lucas wanted a complex character, but by having him behave so extremely in one direction, it makes it hard to accept that he could have gone the other way.

On another topic, what's the deal with carbon freezing?

Vader needs to capture Luke to present him to the Emperor and indicates that carbon freezing should keep him safe. Ok, it makes sense to want to completely immobilize Luke, he's freaky powerful Force-boy, you don't want him waking up on the Executor and going hell-bent for hoo-ha. But your solution to this is to use a method not approved by the FDA and tested only once.

How about a bunch of nets and an IV drip of propofol or something?
Tranquilizer darts?
I guess you couldn't have a bunch of your stormtroopers use their blasters to stun him since they don't have that capability OH WAIT YES THEY DO.

The real answer is that the carbonite is visually bitching and adds a bit of old timey serial feel to it. Anyone got an in-universe explanation? I'm expecting some good poo poo on this one.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The real answer is that the carbonite is visually bitching and adds a bit of old timey serial feel to it. Anyone got an in-universe explanation? I'm expecting some good poo poo on this one.

Hold onto your boots sir, they freeze the gas that is used to make the blasters fire into carbonite and transport it like tha.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

If Heinrich Himmler had surrendered himself to the Allies in 1944, said he was really really sorry, and gave some information that helped end the war, would he be forgiven? Would anyone believe that he was sincere? Even if he sacrificed his life to do it?

Your analogy doesn't work, though. Vader didn't surrender to anyone. He didn't provide the Alliance with any information that would end the war. He sacrificed himself to kill the Emperor.

If, on the other hand, Himmler saved the life of his long lost Jewish son by killing Hitler (and sacrificing himself to do so), then people would probably look a bit more kindly on him.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

NGL posted:

Your analogy doesn't work, though. Vader didn't surrender to anyone. He didn't provide the Alliance with any information that would end the war. He sacrificed himself to kill the Emperor.

Someone post that picture from the Infinities comic where Vader lives to join the Rebels and wears white armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Chairman Capone posted:

Someone post that picture from the Infinities comic where Vader lives to join the Rebels and wears white armor.

I remember that. It was dumb.

Really dumb.